PDA

View Full Version : NHC You know what really bugs me?

Bristolhibby
01-10-2009, 08:03 PM
All these teams in Europe tonight Celtic, Fulam, Velencia.

Not one of them has a sell out crowd.

When I think back to the AEK and Dnipro games, I could not imagine it being anything other than a sell out at Easter Road during a European night.

I mean Fulam FFS, its not exactly like they get to Europe every year!

J

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2009, 08:08 PM

When I think back to the AEK and Dnipro games, I could not imagine it being anything other than a sell out at Easter Road during a European night.

J

Yip i agree, the english clubs battle all year, to qualify for a european place, then send out a weakend team when they get there. It just shows how much more it means to them to actually stay in the premeirship than to qualify for europe.

givescotlandfreedom
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Yip i agree, the english clubs battle all year, to qualify for a european place, then send out a weakend team when they get there. It just shows how much more it means to them to actually stay in the premeirship than to qualify for europe.

Not much of an existence for a club.

nonshinyfinish
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Ultimately, if the fans come forward and buy all the tickets, then you'll fill the stadium.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I still think the impact of the recession should not be underestimated. We're living in unchartered waters especially in Scotland where the rate of unemployment is propotionately higher that in England I understand. Spain I think were one of the worst hit in terms of unemployment rates IIRC.

I dont even think the economic commentators really know the true scale and impact its having. I suspect this has a part to play in the crowds given the costs and fact it will be on TV.

Football has long been shifting away from being affordable to its traditional fanbase. What goes up must come down hopefully reality will bite eventually and the trickle-down effect of constrained finances will flow from the EPL downwards...

EDIT: I know a lot of thinks that have been thunk

Mag7
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM

J

If you lose the first leg of a European tie 4-0 (going on 10-0) to Dinamo Zagreb I think there's an excuse for failing to come close to a sell-out for the second leg :wink:

hibsdaft
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
What goes up must come down hopefully reality will bite eventually and the trickle-down effect of constrained finances will flow from the EPL downwards...

the famous trickle-down effect. i believe in unseen work, but the trickle-down effect is pure fantasy imo :greengrin

duncs
01-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I do think that ticket prices do play a part, but ultimately I think it's down to the new format.

What the group stages allow is better monetary incentives to the clubs involved but it removes the 'anything could happen' factor of the UEFA Cup and the European Cup had (Also notice that commentators are acting that the European Cup never happened, like the Champions League was invented in 1993).

The group stages aren't as dramatic - instead of the two games you have to get through, you now have six bites at the cherry, albeit you will face different opponents. How many of us can say hand on heart we would buy all three tickets to the home game? Actually that might be a bad example if we qualified for the group stages next year but if we did it year on year I would expect a lot of fans would start picking and choosing which game they went to. When the format was knock-out, there was a certain amount of randomness involved, and it becomes an adventure - much like Rangers' campaign a few years ago - I'm sure not many of their fans planned for the next round (because let's be honest, what were the chances of beating teams the calibre of Fiorentina etc). Whereas the new format allows fans to be more pragmatic about which ties to go to.

Another aspect also for English clubs must be how much value their fans see in the Europa League? For six days out of seven, Premiership clubs are told how great The Premiership is, best in the world etc etc, what's the appeal of a game against Basel per se, when you've just played Arsenal the previous weekend? I think we all know which game we'd rather see.

The clubs have to realise this too - and this is where the recession angle comes in - what on earth where Rangers thinking charging £40 for adults and £30 concession for Tuesday night's game? That's ridiculous, especially when there are two other home games they can go along to. At those prices, most fans will have to pick and choose their games. It was also noticeable that in the qualifying round against Rapid Vienna, Aston Villa were offering fans who went to the game at Villa Park a free ticket to the group stage game if they went to the second leg. Simply put, the Europa League might not be such an attractive product.

Bristolhibby
02-10-2009, 07:05 AM
I accept the group stages may put fans off, but it has been like this for years.

I remember Bolton and Middlesbrough getting pretty far in the competition and still having massive chunks in their stadiums.

They should have a cup top up, like at Hibs.

J

Jack
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I’d guess that a lot has to do with season ticket holders, for a multitude of reasons, not taking up their seat.

As a follower of Real Madrid I know that if I wanted to guarantee getting a seat at the Bernabeu the group stages of the CL would be my best bet.
That’s been the case for way before any ression and any thoughts of cheap seats.