PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Goals

NeilOrrSquareBa
01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Guys
Need some feedback.
Planning on taking the laddie to the match on Saturday and with the recent draconian changes to licensing laws was going to go Behind the Goals before the game. Never been so I have some Q's

1. Know you need to be a ST holder but can I sign in guests?
2. Are kids resticted to level1 and if so can Adults enjoy a beer there?
3. What's it like?

I'm sure there are countless threads somewhere in the history of this board but not sure how to find them.
Thanks in advance
GGTH
:greengrin

alphahibby
01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Guys
Need some feedback.
Planning on taking the laddie to the match on Saturday and with the recent draconian changes to licensing laws was going to go Behind the Goals before the game. Never been so I have some Q's

3. What's it like?

I'm sure there are countless threads somewhere in the history of this board but not sure how to find them.
Thanks in advance
GGTH

i think its one guest per st.
kids are only allowed on first level.its better on the second level with no kids running around.

hibsdaft
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM

yes and yes :cool2:

basehibby
01-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Guys
Need some feedback.

3. What's it like?

Thanks in advance
GGTH

Hi - not sure if you can sign anyone in - sure someone will enlighten you - but as far as I know here are the answers to your other questions;
2. I don't think the kids are restricted to either level - in any case the adults CAN enjoy a beer on either level.
3. The beer selection is limited but that's my only beef with BTG. It's a great place to take the kids as it's a safe environment and they can run about to their hearts content and you know they're fine. There will be loads of other kids there and they often sort of gather together in spontaneous wee gangs as kids do, which will leave you to enjoy yer pint and tune into the football on the tv whatever that may be.
Other bonuses - you can get some food there - nothing fancy - just typical match day fare. Also you often get LaTache and other board members walking about and answering fan's questions. Add to that regular visits from legends of the past as well as the occasional visit from (hopefully) legends of the future in the shape of U-19s doing the autographs, and you have all the ingredients for a very enjoyable matchday experience.

PS - other advice - if you can, take another kid along - will keep your own lad distracted during the inevitable (for a kid anyway) boring bits and let you enjoy the game more. :thumbsup:

basehibby
01-10-2009, 12:12 PM
yes and yes :cool2:

ooops - that's my guns spiked - no matter, you can still enjoy your pint on level 1.

Woody1985
01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you get in with just the ST ticket i.e no book?

I assume a few ST holders don't like to carry their book about and just take the match day tickets with them.

Moulin Yarns
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

I assume a few ST holders don't like to carry their book about and just take the match day tickets with them.

I know your game :wink:

Woody1985
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I know your game :wink:

Is that a yes :greengrin

I've been BTG a fair few times but always had the book.

Moulin Yarns
01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Is that a yes :greengrin

I've been BTG a fair few times but always had the book.

I'm sure they'll let you in. It is relaxed but don't expect a seat unless you are there early.

Woody1985
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm sure they'll let you in. It is relaxed but don't expect a seat unless you are there early.

I know. I've stood and queued outside a few times before waiting for it to open like a jakie. :LOL:

NeilOrrSquareBa
01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Guys as always,a big thanks for the inf much appreciated!:bye:

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM

Not sure about that but showing the season ticket cover without the book inside works.

Stevie Reid
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Guys

I can't speak for the other beers but the lager is the worst pint I have ever had

iwasthere1972
01-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I can't speak for the other beers but the lager is the worst pint I have ever had

I can vouch for that. I had to "endure" 7 pints of the stuff one evening a few years back. :agree:

Emerald
01-10-2009, 03:09 PM
You need to be over 18 to get into the upper level. My son is 18 and he was asked for proof on one occasion this year.

Kids are allowed on the 1st floor and it can be very noisy but at least you can have a pint. I think its a great idea having this facility.

Hibs Spain
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM

I assume a few ST holders don't like to carry their book about and just take the match day tickets with them.We went for the first time a couple of weeks ago and no one at any stage asked for our tickets.Service was slow. I asked the girl behind the bar ..Are there always only two of you behind the bar on match days? She said "Yes,to do with staff cut backs". You'd think that paying three or four extras on a match day would be more than covered by the extra takings? In fact I know that would be the case :confused:

fife hfc
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
was thinking of going myself with my son. What time does it open?

ArabHibee
01-10-2009, 09:57 PM
We went for the first time a couple of weeks ago and no one at any stage asked for our tickets.Service was slow. I asked the girl behind the bar ..Are there always only two of you behind the bar on match days? She said "Yes,to do with staff cut backs". You'd think that paying three or four extras on a match day would be more than covered by the extra takings? In fact I know that would be the case :confused:

Find that a bit hard to believe. The mini-hitlers at the front door don't let you in unless you wave your season ticket under their nose. That's the only time you'll be asked for it.

dangermouse
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
BTG is great if you have younger kids. They have a games area and the lunchtime match is on the TV (there is a big screen on the lower floor).

I don't usually have a pint there as I've normally overdone it the night before but I did at the St Johnstone game. The Lager was not the best and took ages to pour. Most of it went in the drip tray so I've no idea how they can make a profit.

The food is usually not bad and IIRC cheaper than inside the ground.

Enjoy yourself if you go this week however it may be very busy as it's a Hibs Kids day. I'll be there (if I can get in). You'll easily spot me as I'll be wearing my away top and my son will either have his home or away top on :wink:

Woody1985
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
We went for the first time a couple of weeks ago and no one at any stage asked for our tickets.Service was slow. I asked the girl behind the bar ..Are there always only two of you behind the bar on match days? She said "Yes,to do with staff cut backs". You'd think that paying three or four extras on a match day would be more than covered by the extra takings? In fact I know that would be the case :confused:

Buy a jug :greengrin

Hibs Spain
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Find that a bit hard to believe. The mini-hitlers at the front door don't let you in unless you wave your season ticket under their nose. That's the only time you'll be asked for it.True..must have been a freak.

Wembley67
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Do they still sell carling on tap? Or have they branched out to other lagers and beers that are drinkable?

1two
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Not been this season but think its still Carling:jamboak:

GlesgaeHibby
02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Do they still sell carling on tap? Or have they branched out to other lagers and beers that are drinkable?

No idea. Not been back since I had a pint of 'McLachlan' there last season.

Anybody else tried the stuff? Worst pint I've ever had. I only had it to get off carling which is already bad at the best of times, but it's infinitely worse in BTG than in any pub I've been in.

MacBean
02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Never been BTG either gents, what time are the doors open and when do u recommend getting down for a decent seat etc??:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Not been this season but think its still Carling:jamboak:

I wish I could give you an answer!

At the Saints game there seemed to be one almighty stushie to change a barrel. A relatively simple operation you would have thought but it seemed to take an eternity and patience eventually ran out as closing time was fast approaching.

We ended up getting bottles of lager and payed an extorniate price for the privilege.

Golden Bear
02-10-2009, 04:48 PM
was thinking of going myself with my son. What time does it open?

This may be of interest to you. I pasted it in from the weekly newsletter.

The Carling 'Behind the Goals' Supporters' Bar is gearing up for Hibernian’s exciting fixture v's Dundee United this Saturday.

The Bar will be open to Season Ticket Holders to enjoy the pre-match warm up from 12.30pm and will re-open after the match until 6pm (last orders at the bar 5.30pm).

Season Ticket Holders bring a friend! (Friends must have a match ticket) Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult who is a Season Ticket Holder and only those aged 18 and over will be granted access to the upper level of Behind the Goals.

A group of Hibernian U19 players will visit the Family Area of 'Behind the Goals’ to meet with young fans from 1.30pm for a short time before kick-off.

Judas Iscariot
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Magners on tap :thumbsup:

MSK
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I wish I could give you an answer!

At the Saints game there seemed to be one almighty stushie to change a barrel. A relatively simple operation you would have thought but it seemed to take an eternity and patience eventually ran out as closing time was fast approaching.

We ended up getting bottles of lager and payed an extorniate price for the privilege.Sadly that hasnt changed since the early "Carlsberg" days ....i remember 3 bar staff (yes 3) standing round a 4th member of staff who was sweating buckets trying to pour a pint..which of course was gurgling away because ..guess what ..yep ..the keg was empty !!!

After a few minutes (which felt like hours) one of the brighter staff members suggested the keg needed changed ..then proceeded to do so ....but..

Another few minutes passed & the flustered bar person returned..mumbled into the ear of another bar person then that bar person sauntered off in the direction of the beer cellar ..

After another few minutes the other bar person returned ..spoke to another bar person & after a bit deliberation (a few minutes)..they told us that lager tap was ..off !!!!

Im going to the hibs club ...:greengrin

Mikey
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I've been to BTG a couple of times recently. Generally it was ok but there were a couple of things that irked me......

1. I had a pint of Guinness poured for me in one go, just like a pint of lager would be poured. That meant I got 1/3 head and 2/3 Guinness!

2. I popped in after one of the games and after nearly 10 minutes in the queue at the bar we just gave up and went elsewhere.

It's nowhere near as busy as it used to be but I believe that it's on Fyfe Hyland's hit list. It's a great feature to have at the club but people have got out of the habit of going.

oconnors_strip
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Never been BTG either gents, what time are the doors open and when do u recommend getting down for a decent seat etc??:thumbsup:

since its hibs kids day i would start queing now for a decent seat:faf:

ArabHibee
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Doors open 12.30pm
Time to get down for a decent seat - 12.30pm

iwasthere1972
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I've been to BTG a couple of times recently. Generally it was ok but there were a couple of things that irked me......

1. I had a pint of Guinness poured for me in one go, just like a pint of lager would be poured. That meant I got 1/3 head and 2/3 Guinness!

2. I popped in after one of the games and after nearly 10 minutes in the queue at the bar we just gave up and went elsewhere.

It's nowhere near as busy as it used to be but I believe that it's on Fyfe Hyland's hit list. It's a great feature to have at the club but people have got out of the habit of going.

On one of the occasions I went to the BTG (televised game against the Yams at Tynie a few years ago) the bar was so busy that when it was eventually my turn to get served I ordered 4 pints of lager. I was there by myself. :hmmm: Thought get them now save queuing again. :thumbsup: