PDA

View Full Version : Golden Generation

capi
01-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan and Fletcher all in the Scotland squad. Says a lot for our youth policy and even though they play for other clubs (bar Deeks of course), still a lot of pride about that.:thumbsup:

RoslinInstHibby
01-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan and Fletcher all in the Scotland squad. Says a lot for our youth policy and even though they play for other clubs (bar Deeks of course), still a lot of pride about that.:thumbsup:

defo:agree:

Is this the first time that they have all been included in the same Scotland squad?

Sandy
01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
defo:agree:

Is this the first time that they have all been included in the same Scotland squad?

Yes as Fletch would have been way too young the last time Deeks was in the squad.

cockneymike
01-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Although not a home grown talent; there is also captain calamity Calwell in there too.

I wonder if Ian Murray could also get back in at some stage this season, if he was playing regularly I'd imagine he'd have to be there or there abouts?

jacomo
01-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Although not a home grown talent; there is also captain calamity Calwell in there too.

I wonder if Ian Murray could also get back in at some stage this season, if he was playing regularly I'd imagine he'd have to be there or there abouts?

Left back is such an obvious problem position for Scotland that I'm amazed Burley isn't casting the net a bit wider - Murray and Shotgun should both have a shout.

RoslinInstHibby
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes as Fletch would have been way too young the last time Deeks was in the squad.

thought so, wasnt sure about under 21's etc though

basehibby
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM

:top marksAbsolutely something to be proud of - that's more than a quarter of this squad that's come through the youth ranks of ONE Club - our very own Hibernian FC - that's about 3 times as many as any SPL club would have a right to expect - quite an amazing achievement really and with the latest lot coming through the signs are hopefull that this is no flash in the pan.

PS - if you added Kenny Miller to that total and Ian Murray managed to win a recall then that would be more than one in three of the Scotland squad coming through the Hibs ranks - and that's not counting Caldwell who made his senior breakthrough at Hibs after developing as a youth with Newcastle, or Broadfoot, who was a youth at Hibs but never made the breakthrough.

GlesgaeHibby
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Left back is such an obvious problem position for Scotland that I'm amazed Burley isn't casting the net a bit wider - Murray and Shotgun should both have a shout.

I'd imagine Fox will now be first choice left back.

Murray, Dixon and Wallace are all surely decent contenders.

RIP
01-10-2009, 01:27 PM
If Ian Murray's form keeps up and they bring Kenny Miller back team could be

Gordon
------
Whittaker
Caldwell
McManus
Murray
------
Thomson
Brown
------
Riordan
O'Connor
Miller
Fletcher

4-2-4 if it works for Yogi?................

Randerson_4
01-10-2009, 02:49 PM

That great, another Englishman who gets no where near his own National team so plays for Scotland. Shame as he is keeping out good young Scottish players, as mentioned in the post, Wallace or Dixon

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
As a solo does this make Deeks a Gold Member ?:cool2:

spudhib
01-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Shirley Whitty has got that nailed down after the last couple of games.

Speedway
01-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Ultimately, I think the more Hibs players we see in the Scotland side, the less there will be from other sides.

rightwinger
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
I think it says more about the dearth of talent and ability in Scottish football that our 'golden generation' is being talked up so much.

Good players relative to the standard of player and standard of football that Scotland has generally produced in the last 10 years.

None of our golden generation would have got a sniff of a Scotland squad 25 years ago.

Credit to our youth policy and the players themselves for being the best of a mediocre lot. I'm not saying they weren't worth the money, the moves, or their places in the Scotland set-up. But that's only because a bottle of water's worth a lot more in a drought than a rainstorm.

erskine-hibby
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Ultimately, I think the more Hibs players we see in the Scotland side, the less there will be from other sides.

DUH!!!:greengrin

basehibby
02-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I think it says more about the dearth of talent and ability in Scottish football that our 'golden generation' is being talked up so much.

Good players relative to the standard of player and standard of football that Scotland has generally produced in the last 10 years.

None of our golden generation would have got a sniff of a Scotland squad 25 years ago.

Credit to our youth policy and the players themselves for being the best of a mediocre lot. I'm not saying they weren't worth the money, the moves, or their places in the Scotland set-up. But that's only because a bottle of water's worth a lot more in a drought than a rainstorm.

Hmm - so neither Riordan, O'Connor or Fletcher would have any chance of ousting Frank McGarvey?
Whittaker vs Albiston?
Thomson vs Bett?

I think you're making sweeping statements here and don't think things would be quite so clear cut as you're suggesting.

clerriehibs
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
That great, another Englishman who gets no where near his own National team so plays for Scotland. Shame as he is keeping out good young Scottish players, as mentioned in the post, Wallace or Dixon

It's crap ... don't know wallace personally, but I'm pretty sure he's as scottish as they come. Meanwhile, some lad who almost certainly grew up supporting England, and probably still supports England, gets in through the granny door. P!sses me off. Whatever folks might say about mcgreedy, you can be pretty sure that at least he's probably always supported Ireland.

Baader
02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Hypothetically, I wonder how many caps these guys would have amassed if they were still plying their trade at ER?

If a 39 year old Davie Weir were playing for anyone else than an Old Firm club up here would he have got a look in at the Scotland setup? I really don't think so...

bighairyfaeleith
02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

I never thought of it that way :confused:

Speedy
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
It's crap ... don't know wallace personally, but I'm pretty sure he's as scottish as they come. Meanwhile, some lad who almost certainly grew up supporting England, and probably still supports England, gets in through the granny door. P!sses me off. Whatever folks might say about mcgreedy, you can be pretty sure that at least he's probably always supported Ireland.

:agree::top marks

sleeping giant
03-10-2009, 12:00 AM

That crop were a once in a lifetime and i dont think we will have the need to thrust 6 or 7 youngsters into the team as we had to do under Williamson.

Just goes to show though

Pete
03-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Hmm - so neither Riordan, O'Connor or Fletcher would have any chance of ousting Frank McGarvey?
Whittaker vs Albiston?
Thomson vs Bett?

You're using some really bad examples there.

Frank Mcgarvey was a simple goal-getting striker...and that's all he done...put the ball in the back of the net. He done well for Celtic and his achievements shouldn't be sneezed at.

Arthur Albiston is far better defender than Whittaker will ever be. To be honest they are completely different roles nowadays and whittaker has failed in his role a lot more times in a green shirt than Albiston ever did in for his club or country.

Jim Bett was one of the most skillful players to play for Aberdeen. His talents are so easilly forgotten over the passage of time...he could do things with his feet that thommo could only dream of!

NaeTechnoHibby
03-10-2009, 01:58 AM

I think you're a bit harsh there IMO.

I think the money from TV in England turned their heads elsewhere and sniffed only at Scotland in ensuing years :agree:

There has been talent here, but unfortunately not always recognised or "glamorous enough" :agree:

That these players are still on the scene after 5 years shows their talent IMO :thumbsup:

GGTTH :thumbsup: