PDA

View Full Version : How Times Change - Celtic 1984

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I remember being outraged in 1984 at the behaviour of Rapid Vienna. I thought it was disgraceful for the guy to come out after the game with his head bandaged when it was clear then, and now, that the bottle never touched him.

Yet watching the clips of the incident now, I find it remarkable that football fans could behave in such a way. They are throwing objects which could have seriously injured anyone they hit. (I'm not getting at Celtic, we were all as bad - I recall a game against Aberdeen in the late 80s when the contents of the Royal Mint seemed to rain down on the linesman covering the East at Easter Road).

You also have to add in the fact that a Celtic fan assaulted a Rapid player on the park, at the replayed match at Old Trafford. Something that had happened previously involving Parkhead supporters and fans of other clubs.

Dundee United were also physically intimidated in a European Cup (!!!!) semi final in Rome around this time - by which I mean death threats etc in the tunnell, not robust play. It seems like a different world looking back now.

Yet the likes of Galatasary still get away with this sort of thing. What do you all think?

--------
30-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I remember being outraged in 1984 at the behaviour of Rapid Vienna. I thought it was disgraceful for the guy to come out after the game with his head bandaged when it was clear then, and now, that the bottle never touched him.

Yet watching the clips of the incident now, I find it remarkable that football fans could behave in such a way. They are throwing objects which could have seriously injured anyone they hit. (I'm not getting at Celtic, we were all as bad - I recall a game against Aberdeen in the late 80s when the contents of the Royal Mint seemed to rain down on the linesman covering the East at Easter Road).

You also have to add in the fact that a Celtic fan assaulted a Rapid player on the park, at the replayed match at Old Trafford. Something that had happened previously involving Parkhead supporters and fans of other clubs.

Dundee United were also physically intimidated in a European Cup (!!!!) semi final in Rome around this time - by which I mean death threats etc in the tunnell, not robust play. It seems like a different world looking back now.

Yet the likes of Galatasary still get away with this sort of thing. What do you all think?

I think I'm glad that that sort of stuff doesn't go on in Scotland these days....

IIRC the pipes and drums of the Royal Highland Fusiliers couldn't parade right round the Hampden pitch at the League Cup Final in 1972 because the Celtic support in the covered end were singing IRA songs and throwing those big old copper pennies at the police.

So the band marched across the front of the goals instead. Nobody, as I recall, thought this to be in any way unusual.

Except that the polis THEN decided that they wouldn't allow Hibs to do a lap of honour with the Cup in case the Celtic fans (who had all gone back to their smelly burrows by then) rioted. There was no suggestion that the HIBS fans had misbehaved, of course, but hey, why let a wee team's fans enjoy their victory?

I don't remember any mention being made of the coin-throwing either in the papers or on TV.

Joe Baker II
30-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Bizarre thing is that Celtic got away with incident (rightly in this case) with AC Milan (who usually carry clout in these things) goalkeeper 2 years ago although player was clearly touched by a fan, despite there being as you say more stringent penalties for this sort of thing now.

Incidentally I recall being hit by coins in front of east terrace thrown from the back at an Aberdeen game as late as early 1990s though think game you are referring to was in 1984-5 (linesman and ref were truly dire in that game it has to be said and deserved it to an extent).

Keith_M
30-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Has there been as much p*sh talked about this game in the press over there as there has here? There seems to be a media based slanging match going on, with even the DR quoted in some of the local papers.

I knew as soon as the draw was made that this would be the sole topic of so called news. I did think it was quite funny though that Rapid wanted to wear their all-red strip, in memory of the '84 game :greengrin.

Incidentally, if you think that tickets for Scottish games are bad, you should see the prices for Vienna leg of that tie. Sheesh!

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Bizarre thing is that Celtic got away with incident (rightly in this case) with AC Milan (who usually carry clout in these things) goalkeeper 2 years ago although player was clearly touched by a fan, despite there being as you say more stringent penalties for this sort of thing now.

Incidentally I recall being hit by coins in front of east terrace thrown from the back at an Aberdeen game as late as early 1990s though think game you are referring to was in 1984-5 (linesman and ref were truly dire in that game it has to be said and deserved it to an extent).

:agree:

JackRegan
30-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Has there been as much p*sh talked about this game in the press over there as there has here? There seems to be a media based slanging match going on, with even the DR quoted in some of the local papers.

I knew as soon as the draw was made that this would be the sole topic of so called news. I did think it was quite funny though that Rapid wanted to wear their all-red strip, in memory of the '84 game :greengrin.

Incidentally, if you think that tickets for Scottish games are bad, you should see the prices for Vienna leg of that tie. Sheesh!

I was at both "home" legs in 1984. :thumbsup:

anyway, the DR and Sun are doing their damndest to try and stir things up.

Rapid are bringing 3,000 fans over, Celtic have 10,000 tickets on public sale/available to all sorts, Lots of old school dafties going, lots of normally civilised and urbane tims wanting to "stick it right up these *******s", the weekend of a huns game, with lots of Irish, mostly Belfast based Tims (not known for their restraint) making a long weekend of it - it could get quite eh interesting. :agree::greengrin

i'm also booked for Vienna in December. :thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I was at both "home" legs in 1984. :thumbsup:

anyway, the DR and Sun are doing their damndest to try and stir things up.

Rapid are bringing 3,000 fans over, Celtic have 10,000 tickets on public sale/available to all sorts, Lots of old school dafties going, lots of normally civilised and urbane tims wanting to "stick it right up these *******s", the weekend of a huns game, with lots of Irish, mostly Belfast based Tims (not known for their restraint) making a long weekend of it - it could get quite eh interesting. :agree::greengrin

Jack, I've just noticed your avatar. Surely Johnny Cash's family would have been Raith Rovers fans, after all they were from Falkland in Fife. (Of course the fact that they left for America 100 odd years before the Rovers were founded might have been a factor).

JackRegan
30-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Jack, I've just noticed your avatar. Surely Johnny Cash's family would have been Raith Rovers fans, after all they were from Falkland in Fife. (Of course the fact that they left for America 100 odd years before the Rovers were founded might have been a factor).

FR

When it comes to appreciaition of musical genius, one has to rise above petty tribalism.

Having said that, I do not possess any Wet Wet Wet or Lulu material. :wink:

The "mission statement" of the Johnny Cash CSC is this "Ye gotta love two things in life to be in this club - Celtic and Johnny Cash". We meet twice a year in a eh "pub appointed in traditional Glasgow style, full of Glaswegian character", just round from the Barras.

The Braemar is a great boozer - I once went in at 10am, got offered a leg of lamb for sale, a vintage pentax camera and saw a guy getting his hair cut in the pub. Two days previous, I was sipping cocktails in the Allerton in Chicago. :greengrin

JackRegan
30-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Get yer facts right FR. Not ONE Rapid player was attacked and assaulted on the pitch.

It was TWO. :duck:

Mag7
30-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Like you I remember being completely on Celtic's side back then, but these days I would find it funny to see them punished in such a fashion. Why is this? I used to quite happily support Scottish sides in Europe (except Hearts) and remember cheering on Aberdeen and Dundee United during their brilliant European campaigns in the 80s. Now I'm quite happy to see every Scottish side bar Hibs crash out of Europe asap.

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 12:08 PM
FR

When it comes to appreciaition of musical genius, one has to rise above petty tribalism.

The "mission statement" of the Johnny Cash CSC is this "Ye gotta love two things in life to be in this club - Celtic and Johnny Cash". We meet twice a year in a eh "pub appointed in traditional Glasgow style, full of Glaswegian character", just round from the Barras.

The Braemar is a great boozer - I once went in at 10am, got offered a leg of lamb for sale, a vintage pentax camera and saw a guy getting his hair cut in the pub. Two days previous, I was sipping cocktails in the Allerton in Chicago. :greengrin

Jeez, I thought we were bad for claiming celebrity fans! The Braemar sounds like the kind of pub JC would have liked though. :agree:

I hadn't realised there were two Celtic fans that got onto the pitch that night. Any idea what they are up to these days?

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Jeez, I thought we were bad for claiming celebrity fans! The Braemar sounds like the kind of pub JC would have liked though. :agree:

I hadn't realised there were two Celtic fans that got onto the pitch that night. Any idea what they are up to these days?I've heard one of them regularly post on a Hibs forum! :wink:

JackRegan
30-09-2009, 12:36 PM

I hadn't realised there were two Celtic fans that got onto the pitch that night. Any idea what they are up to these days?

One was from Coventry and the other was from Essex strangely enough, although we did not get the press at the time to spin stories that it ws Chelsea fans acting up in Manchester. :wink:

As for the guy who threw the bottle at Celtic Park, no-one and I mean no-one knows anything about who it was. :confused: Normally these things get out through the grapevine, but not on this occasion. Having been involved with the Celtic Supporters Assoication, you do get to hear a lot of stories and the inside track, but all our "sources" drew a blank here.

Keith_M
30-09-2009, 12:43 PM

I had a couple of mates that were at both as well. They enjoyed the trip to OT, but not the result, obviously.

You'll be happy to hear there are a number of Irish bars in Vienna (as everywhere else) but the best one, in my opinion, is Flanagan's in Schwarzenberg strasse, in the city centre.

I have a workmate here, Rapid fan, who's booked up for the game at Celtc Park. I told him that the best way to ingratiate himself with the locals was to take along a really big Union Jack. You should be able to spot him in the away end, big guy, all covered in blood...... :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 12:43 PM
One was from Coventry and the other was from Essex strangely enough, although we did not get the press at the time to spin stories that it ws Chelsea fans acting up in Manchester. :wink:

As for the guy who threw the bottle at Celtic Park, no-one and I mean no-one knows anything about who it was. :confused: Normally these things get out through the grapevine, but not on this occasion. Having been involved with the Celtic Supporters Assoication, you do get to hear a lot of stories and the inside track, but all our "sources" drew a blank here.

I've heard one of them regularly post on a Hibs forum! :wink:

:hmmm:

Tomsk
30-09-2009, 02:32 PM
FR

Jack, you've just went up in my estimation.

Your Glasgow bar story reminds me of the occasion I found myself in a sheeben in George Square -- I can't recall its name but it was run by the dad of a mate of mine called Kenny MacDonald, who was a right Celtc supporter. In those days George Sqaure still had a few sheebens -- alas, no longer. Anyhoo, I was approached by a right Glasgae character several stages beyond inebriation who offered to sell me a pair of trousers for £5. The offer was all the more intriguing because the trousers he had in mind were currently appended to his rather unsteady legs. I had to ask, "What will you be wearing once you hand the trousers over?" He thought about this for a moment before declaring, "You kin gie me your troosers!"

I closed our discussions by buying him a pint and wishing him all the best in latest business venture.

Alicky Ranks
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm with you on this one. It seems strange now that folk were so outraged. OK, the guy feigned injury, but I now reckon it was good that he brought attention to the fact some nutter thought it was fine to chuck a whisky bottle on to the pitch. The real saddos though are folk like Frank McGarvey who must have nothing better to do these days than nurse a 25-year-old grudge. He always irritated me with his pale face and chicken-arm running style. Mind you, I think he may have been among the goals that legendary day v St Mirren in May 1986 while Hearts were coming apart at Dens, so I guess he deserves some credit for that.

sadtom
02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I remember the scottish cup semi against abersheep at dens (loadsabother). The hatched man Neil Cooper was injured and walked off the park up to the tunnel in the corner as he walked past the Hibs support in the enclosure it was like a wall of coins heading his way. One guy was jumping up and down waving a tenner and shouting if anyone had any change!!!

p.s.
Jack - i might be up for a half membership in the J.C.C.S.C.:greengrin

More than quite partial to belting out the man in black or boy named sue (amongst others) after the odd shandy.

rightwinger
02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm with you on this one. It seems strange now that folk were so outraged. OK, the guy feigned injury, but I now reckon it was good that he brought attention to the fact some nutter thought it was fine to chuck a whisky bottle on to the pitch. The real saddos though are folk like Frank McGarvey who must have nothing better to do these days than nurse a 25-year-old grudge. He always irritated me with his pale face and chicken-arm running style. Mind you, I think he may have been among the goals that legendary day v St Mirren in May 1986 while Hearts were coming apart at Dens, so I guess he deserves some credit for that.

IIRC McGarvey was actually playing for St Mirren that day and was jumping about celebrating with his old team-mates after the match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McGarvey

If so, he's got a bit of a cheek to take the moral high ground wouldn't you say? I'm prepared to forgive him though.:wink: