PDA

View Full Version : Gannons comments

mjhibby
30-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Did anybody else not have a wee smirk at gannons comments after the game that it was hibs quality of finishers that we have due to having the money to buy them that was the difference.Maybe he is not aware of wells history but how long ago was it that they paid the likes of john spencer wages they could not afford and consequently they went into administration and many lost their jobs although disgracefully boyle kept the club.Hibs have endured years of losing their best players to get where we are and while gannon is obviously doing very well with bringing youngsters through its something hibs have been doing for year and only now are other clubs following suit.
Still it was good of him to acknowledge the obvious and he seems like a good manager and a reasonable guy who had hughes not hot the job would have been at home at er.Its amazing btw we just takes deeks goal for granted given how poor scottish football is a sit was skill of the highest order to score from where he was.Just an observation.

Andy74
30-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Did anybody else not have a wee smirk at gannons comments after the game that it was hibs quality of finishers that we have due to having the money to buy them that was the difference.Maybe he is not aware of wells history but how long ago was it that they paid the likes of john spencer wages they could not afford and consequently they went into administration and many lost their jobs although disgracefully boyle kept the club.Hibs have endured years of losing their best players to get where we are and while gannon is obviously doing very well with bringing youngsters through its something hibs have been doing for year and only now are other clubs following suit.
Still it was good of him to acknowledge the obvious and he seems like a good manager and a reasonable guy who had hughes not hot the job would have been at home at er.Its amazing btw we just takes deeks goal for granted given how poor scottish football is a sit was skill of the highest order to score from where he was.Just an observation.

We have the money to buy them currently because we get more than double their average crowd.

blackpoolhibs
30-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Has ryehill avenue posted on here recently?:devil:

JimBHibees
30-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Has ryehill avenue posted on here recently?:devil:

He'll be too busy taking the training at Motherwell at the moment. :thumbsup:

--------
30-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Agree whole-heartedly. I suspect Gannon didn't quite appreciate the irony of him commenting on our ability to field quality strikers (and Colin Nish as well - just joking, Nishy!) being down to us being a bigger richer club than Well, but in general I thought his comments were fair and professional.

I would have had no problem if Gannon rather than Yogi had got the job at ER - not that I'm unhappy with what Yogi's doing at all - and I suspect that he'll do a good job at Fir Park this season, and then next season someone down south will remember his name and he'll go back to the Football League, probably to the Championship.

And yes, we DO tend to take goals like Deek's (and Zouma's, too) for granted. There's actually quite a lot of football in the side right now; Yogi just has to get them to apply themselves and show their talents every time they play....

RIP
30-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Jim's comments both before and after the match conveyed to me a man disappointed that he came so close to the Hibs job but missed out to Yogi.

His reputation convinces me that he would have invested considerable research into the club, it's players and history and would have offered the board a detailed vision of where he could take Hibs.

He is where he is and I've no doubt he will be very committed to Well whilst dreaming of what might have been at Easter Road.

It's a funny ol' game!

--------
30-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Jim's comments both before and after the match conveyed to me a man disappointed that he came so close to the Hibs job but missed out to Yogi.

His reputation convinces me that he would have invested considerable research into the club, it's players and history and would have offered the board a detailed vision of where he could take Hibs.

He is where he is and I've no doubt he will be very committed to Well whilst dreaming of what might have been at Easter Road.

It's a funny ol' game!

:agree:

Andy74
30-09-2009, 10:54 AM

It's a funny ol' game!

I'm not sure we'd have got the likes of Stokes and Miller with him though. I think he probably would have filled us with lower league journey men regardless of the increased budget.

I think we are better with what we've ended up with.

Peevemor
30-09-2009, 11:08 AM
We have the money to buy them currently because we get more than double their average crowd.

Exactly. It reminds me of our "great adventure" in the fist division, when Alex Totten moaned about Hibs having more money than Falkirk. :Ummm:

Craig_in_Prague
30-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Exactly. It reminds me of our "great adventure" in the fist division, when Alex Totten moaned about Hibs having more money than Falkirk. :Ummm:

He said many times tho' that Falkirk were the best team in the league.
Aye right :blah:

RIP
30-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure we'd have got the likes of Stokes and Miller with him though. I think he probably would have filled us with lower league journey men regardless of the increased budget.

I think we are better with what we've ended up with.

I'm happier with Yogi too.

However if Shabba was aware of Stokes we can be sure that Gannon would have been too. Miller was a great acquisition but no doubt the Irish/Stokes/Keane/Sunderland connection would have played a part in alerting a manager to Liam's availability?

Playing for Yogi may have been the deciding factor for Anthony?

Or was it Edinburgh's nightlife:wink:

--------
30-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm happier with Yogi too.

However if Shabba was aware of Stokes we can be sure that Gannon would have been too. Miller was a great acquisition but no doubt the Irish/Stokes/Keane/Sunderland connection would have played a part in alerting a manager to Liam's availability?

Playing for Yogi may have been the deciding factor for Anthony?

Or was it Edinburgh's nightlife :wink:

Lots of 'nightlife' in Murrawell, old son. :devil:

Most of it looks and sounds like Barry Ferguson, though.

Or Barry's mum....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/8/25/1251198116759/Jimmy-Savile-wearing-a-sh-003.jpg

camhibby1
30-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Where would you rather be - players and manager - Motherwell or Leith? Yogi proved a point time and again with Falkirk - his cup runs; unearthing individuals almost out of nowhere; playing football - but importantly listening to what was/is going on around him -recognising too that football clubs are not all about money and paying top dollar for the wanabee player of the day.
Hibs have a set up second to none outside the OF. I'm proud of the board and what has been achieved given the stick/abuse that's been hurled. I'm proud of Hibs that we can have managers like Gannon and others talking about our team. I'm proud that Hibs can afford players like Deeks, Stokes, Miller, Zemmama, Benji - the list goes on. I'm proud too that we can go to Easter Road and expect and enjoy our football - it's not always been like this recently, but it is now.
And I am proud too that John Hughes is as passionate about Hibs as I am - back him and we will succeed. I do not believe for one minute Liam Millar would have come to Easter Road for a short term fix or cynically for the club to sell him on.
The OF are in sight - we know it and they don't like it!

horseflesh
30-09-2009, 02:28 PM
To be fair. that was the same time we were paying wages for Sauzee, Latapy et al. I just think Hibs were much quicker to wake up and smell the coffee

machibby
30-09-2009, 06:09 PM

to be honest I thought Gannons' comments were fair enough. Said that we've spent money on a quality strike force and that even in games we may not be dominating we still come up with the killer punches. Quality shows through. He also went on to state that he was trying to get his players attacking play to improve, but that they don't have the same quality. Quite like listening to him talk about football, but he does go on about Stockport a bit much.

wpj
30-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Where would you rather be - players and manager - Motherwell or Leith? Yogi proved a point time and again with Falkirk - his cup runs; unearthing individuals almost out of nowhere; playing football - but importantly listening to what was/is going on around him -recognising too that football clubs are not all about money and paying top dollar for the wanabee player of the day.
Hibs have a set up second to none outside the OF. I'm proud of the board and what has been achieved given the stick/abuse that's been hurled. I'm proud of Hibs that we can have managers like Gannon and others talking about our team. I'm proud that Hibs can afford players like Deeks, Stokes, Miller, Zemmama, Benji - the list goes on. I'm proud too that we can go to Easter Road and expect and enjoy our football - it's not always been like this recently, but it is now.
And I am proud too that John Hughes is as passionate about Hibs as I am - back him and we will succeed. I do not believe for one minute Liam Millar would have come to Easter Road for a short term fix or cynically for the club to sell him on.
The OF are in sight - we know it and they don't like it!

lets hope eh!! i'm still optimistic we will have an enjoyable season too :agree:

Franck is God
30-09-2009, 10:04 PM
To be fair. that was the same time we were paying wages for Sauzee, Latapy et al. I just think Hibs were much quicker to wake up and smell the coffee

Not sure if we were quicker to wake up and smell the coffee, what we did have was a decent and regular annual income which kept the bank happy and had the stroke of luck that the land behind the stadium was reclassified from industrial to residential so it was able to be developed and was sold on for a lot of money.

Saying that I still feel lucky that I got to see Franck Sauzee in a Hibs shirt and both he and Russell were worth every penny of debt.

blackhibee
30-09-2009, 10:30 PM
to be honest I thought Gannons' comments were fair enough. Said that we've spent money on a quality strike force and that even in games we may not be dominating we still come up with the killer punches. Quality shows through. He also went on to state that he was trying to get his players attacking play to improve, but that they don't have the same quality. Quite like listening to him talk about football, but he does go on about Stockport a bit much.

I agree, Gannon was honest about the whole situation in my opinion. Time will tell whether he leaves an imprint on Scottish football, but so far anyway he seems to have a team, for the most part fairly young and inexperienced, playing quite a good level of football. I think our performance against them, particularly in the second half, was as good as we've played for some time and it shows the ability that we do have when it all clicks together. But if it doesn't i.e Hamilton, St Johnstone, we could easily have been hammered by Motherwell. I would suggest that if we were to maintain the standard that we showed in the second half we would comfortably finish in 3rd place at least, but if we aren't we could quite easily finish behind them. Just my opinion of course.

Speedway
01-10-2009, 12:28 PM

That's because it's his only reference point as a manager, just like Falkirk is for Yogi and though Gannon talks more about his old club than Yogi does, he signs fewer players from them too.

Ultimately, I think that if we can beat the opposition and score more than them, we'll win a good few matches this season.