PDA

View Full Version : the suns selling Mero??

CRAZYHIBBY
30-09-2009, 06:32 AM
more tripe in the sun today claiming Standard Liege are after Mero? .....better known to us as zemmama or zouma,....im getting absolutely sick of papers touting our players:grr:

Toaods
30-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I would be amazed if nice guy Mogga doesnt try to nick him on the cheap to replace McGeady.

Barney McGrew
30-09-2009, 06:50 AM
I would be amazed if nice guy Mogga doesnt try to nick him on the cheap to replace McGeady.

The days of anyone getting players on the cheap from us are long gone.

Celtic have been credited with an interest in Zouma before though.

Auckland Hibs
30-09-2009, 06:57 AM
The days of anyone getting players on the cheap from us are long gone.

Celtic have been credited with an interest in Zouma before though.

Do you know when his contract expires at ER?

I'd get him signed up ASAP on a long-term deal before the Smellies come knocking on our door.

You'd also like to think that he would show a bit of loyalty with all the stuff with us releasing him to be with his Mrs, etc. last season, but you never know with footballers.......:bitchy:

Mon Dieu4
30-09-2009, 06:58 AM

I'd get him signed up ASAP on a long-term deal before the Smellies come knocking on our door.

You'd also like to think that he would show a bit of loyalty with all the stuff with us releasing him to be with his Mrs, etc. last season, but you never know with footballers.......:bitchy:

2011 I think

rubber mal
30-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Hate to shatter the illusion but he was quoted in a Sunday paper (can't remember which) a couple of weeks ago saying he wanted to have a great season with Hibs so that he could earn them a big transfer fee next summer.

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I think Zemmama came back on the understanding that Hibs wouldn't stand in his way if a decent offer came in.

Brooster
30-09-2009, 07:06 AM
I thought his contract was up at the end of the season.

brydekirk
30-09-2009, 07:23 AM
he was on a 5 yr contract when he joined.

Sylar
30-09-2009, 07:26 AM
I think Zemmama came back on the understanding that Hibs wouldn't stand in his way if a decent offer came in.

Surely a decent offer wouldn't be a move to Porkheid though?

If he does leave (as expected) then I wouldn't mind him going down south or overseas, but I'm sick to bloody death of our ex players coming back to haunt us.

RIP
30-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Players like Benji, Zouma and Stokesy won't be around forever

By the time they move on we will have brought through one or two more from the academy. The squad in five years will be ten or twelve home-grown lads, other SPL signings and one or two 'flair' signings.

Home grown is the future IMO

Petrie's Tache
30-09-2009, 07:51 AM
After the way Hibs allowed him to be with his wife last year and the fact he has been quoted as being in debted to the club, he should be offered and sign a contract extesion, purely to add value to himself for when he leaves.

Lets face it IMHO if he continues the form he has shown in the last game he is to good for us:boo hoo:

If Only
30-09-2009, 07:54 AM
more tripe in the sun today claiming Standard Liege are after Mero? .....better known to us as zemmama or zouma,....im getting absolutely sick of papers touting our players:grr:

Its also in todays Daily Mail

MB62
30-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Players like Benji, Zouma and Stokesy won't be around forever

By the time they move on we will have brought through one or two more from the academy. The squad in five years will be ten or twelve home-grown lads, other SPL signings and one or two 'flair' signings.

Home grown is the future IMO

Not just the future, this has been the case for a good few years now, although the promotion through the youth system is becoming greater every year it seems.

MB62
30-09-2009, 08:19 AM

the Sun would sell their grannies for two Bob if they thought it would make them popular and sell papers.

J-C
30-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I think Zouma has a lot of integrity after we gave him passionate leave last season and knowing the wee man he'll want to repay Hibs with a big money move that suits him and us, if he has any desire to succeed, he'll avoid Celtic like the plague.

JimBHibees
30-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I think Zouma has a lot of integrity after we gave him passionate leave last season and knowing the wee man he'll want to repay Hibs with a big money move that suits him and us, if he has any desire to succeed, he'll avoid Celtic like the plague.

Personally wouldnt grudge the guy an exceptional season at Hibs then a big money move.

hibsbollah
30-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Zouma loves us:flag:
He's going nowhere:fez:

Kojock
30-09-2009, 09:26 AM
The conditions of Zemmamas work permit means he can only play in Scotland for Hibs. If Celtic did want him he would have to apply for another work permit which he probably would not get as he has not played enough international games. :agree:

(((Fergus)))
30-09-2009, 09:45 AM

i suppose he was just married :greengrin

(((Fergus)))
30-09-2009, 09:46 AM
The conditions of Zemmamas work permit means he can only play in Scotland for Hibs. If Celtic did want him he would have to apply for another work permit which he probably would not get as he has not played enough international games. :agree:

Oooh I hope this is true :thumbsup:

--------
30-09-2009, 10:08 AM

I would also suggest first, that the Unclean Ones will find that they have a lot of competition for the wee guy from the continent and possibly even the Middle East, and secondly that there's a strong possibility that Saint Anthony of the Four-Letter Soundbite might not be around Parkhead long enough to get a bid in for him....

1two
30-09-2009, 10:55 AM

I would pat him on the back if he got a big money move next summer, as long as it wasn't glasgow, But does anyone find the timing suspicious?

The same week as a game which will move the winners above rangers in the league and put uncle watty under a bit more pressure to perform on Sunday???
Or am I just being petty?

jacomo
30-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I would also suggest first, that the Unclean Ones will find that they have a lot of competition for the wee guy from the continent and possibly even the Middle East, and secondly that there's a strong possibility that Saint Anthony of the Four-Letter Soundbite might not be around Parkhead long enough to get a bid in for him....

What are you hinting at here?

Is Mowbray less than enamoured with life at Parkhead?

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 11:48 AM
If Hibs allow anymore players (that are still on contract) to move to either of those 2..... i'll be severely disappointed.

Time's have changed.

Hibs don't need to let players go to either of them 2.

marinello59
30-09-2009, 11:52 AM
If Hibs allow anymore players (that are still on contract) to move to either of those 2..... i'll be severely disappointed.

Time's have changed.

True. But Hibs will always sell to the highest bidder.......no matter who they are.

1two
30-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Time's have changed.

Hibs don't need to and OF can't afford to. If Hibs are ever in a position where we are selling them players again, then we'd only have hibs to blame! But that won't be happening anytime soon i would hope!

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 11:58 AM
True. But Hibs will always sell to the highest bidder.......no matter who they are.

Then surely its the clubs job to get these players noticed by those down south?

Perhaps the club could do more to showcase these players to English clubs?

--------
30-09-2009, 12:19 PM
What are you hinting at here?

Is Mowbray less than enamoured with life at Parkhead?

I believe that there are those at Parkhead less than enamoured with him - this includes players and some of the coaching staff.

SaintTone likes to be loved. Cellick like to be in Europe after Christmas. Cellick also expect to be beating Rangers. If all these things don't happen?

There are a few straws blowing in the wind, is all.

Tyler Durden
30-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I think everyone is getting a bit carried away. Zemmama was fantastic at the weekend, but for whatever reason he's yet to put together a consistent season for Hibs.

When he does that maybe he can talk about big money moves etc. He certainly has the talent.

Beefster
30-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Perhaps the club could do more to showcase these players to English clubs?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. How could Hibs 'showcase' him down south? Would we want the club actively touting our best players?

If clubs want him, they'll come to Hibs.

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. How could Hibs 'showcase' him down south? Would we want the club actively touting our best players?

Our best players don't stay very long anyway.

I'd much rather the club did do this.

The OF will always get the best offers in, because they know our players far better than those from the English leagues.

I think it would be better because:

1. We'd get better offers
2. We are not strengthening either of the OF
3. Most importantly, we arent wasting players careers

Musselbound
30-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Hate to shatter the illusion but he was quoted in a Sunday paper (can't remember which) a couple of weeks ago saying he wanted to have a great season with Hibs so that he could earn them a big transfer fee next summer.

Personally wouldnt grudge the guy an exceptional season at Hibs then a big money move.

I'd be happy with that. If he continues with his pre-season and recent form, then I'd be pleasantly suprised if he is with us beyond January. There is little doubt that Zouma's ambitions extend beyond Hibs. Or indeed Glasgow, although that might interest him, and the Hibs board, if it's the best financial offer on the table.

matty_f
30-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Absolutely right.:agree:

There's a difference between selling a player because the move is right for the player and the club, and actively selling a player by issuing a "come and get him" plea.

We are not a selling club in the latter sense, we'll sell on our terms when the time is right, as demonstrated by knocking back the highest bidder (Celtc in the January window) for Fletcher, and selling him in the summer.

Hibs90
30-09-2009, 12:33 PM
He will stay till the end of the season.

Beefster
30-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Our best players don't stay very long anyway.

I'd much rather the club did do this.

The OF will always get the best offers in, because they know our players far better than those from the English leagues.

I think it would be better because:

1. We'd get better offers
2. We are not strengthening either of the OF
3. Most importantly, we arent wasting players careers

It didn't work like that for O'Connor, Murphy, Sproule, Jones and Fletcher, to name a few.

If we started actively touting players down south, it would come across as desperate and probably lead to reduced bids, rather than better offers.

If Hibs want to follow the policy of no player sales to the OF - fine. They shouldn't be showcasing our players long before we even want to sell them though.

--------
30-09-2009, 12:52 PM
It didn't work like that for O'Connor, Murphy, Sproule, Jones and Fletcher, to name a few.

If we started actively touting players down south, it would come across as desperate and probably lead to reduced bids, rather than better offers.

If Hibs want to follow the policy of no player sales to the OF - fine. They shouldn't be showcasing our players long before we even want to sell them though.

:agree:

It's the agents' job to make potential employers aware of their clients' availability.

Enquiries about players should always be met by a 'hard-to-get' response - unless, of course the enquiry relates to someone like Alan O'Brien or Colin Murdock. In that sort of case, bite their freakin hand off.

And if the club has a friendly relationship with the agent and player, agent and player will be much more likely to operate in a manner helpful to the club and to themselves.

But I actually don't think Rod the Magic 'Tache needs a lot of assistance in screwing top whack out of prospective buyers - he seems to manage it all very well on his lonesome. I'd just hate to play him at poker.

Compare the kerfuffle that surrounded the departures of Captain Calamity and Ian Murray with the conduct of business in relation to Jones and Fletcher.... :devil:

jacomo
30-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I believe that there are those at Parkhead less than enamoured with him - this includes players and some of the coaching staff.

SaintTone likes to be loved. Cellick like to be in Europe after Christmas. Cellick also expect to be beating Rangers. If all these things don't happen?

There are a few straws blowing in the wind, is all.

I thought it was a funny appointment at the time. Yes, Mowbray's a good coach and has Celtic connections, but it was clear he was second choice behind Coyle.

Also, as a self-declared football obsessive who doesn't go out, he doesn't have the charm and chutzpah to do the journo wining-and-dining and all the other things that are required of an OF manager.

Then they had a good pre-season, broke the Euro away day duck, and started pretty strongly (understandable loss to Arsenal aside).

But then came their win at ER, with the post-match huddle and Mowbray's ungracious press conference, when he refused to mention Hibs by name (so much for mutual respect, eh?)

It was the actions of a man feeling the pressure and ill-at-ease with things, in my view.

Since then both McManus and Caldwell have been dropped from the team at different times, which can't be helping dressing room harmony.

Hmm... perhaps all is not well at Parkhead after all?

By the way - I don't think beating Rangers will present any difficulties, altho this didn't prevent WGS from criticism.

--------
30-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I thought it was a funny appointment at the time. Yes, Mowbray's a good coach and has Celtic connections, but it was clear he was second choice behind Coyle.

Also, as a self-declared football obsessive who doesn't go out, he doesn't have the charm and chutzpah to do the journo wining-and-dining and all the other things that are required of an OF manager.

Then they had a good pre-season, broke the Euro away day duck, and started pretty strongly (understandable loss to Arsenal aside).

But then came their win at ER, with the post-match huddle and Mowbray's ungracious press conference, when he refused to mention Hibs by name (so much for mutual respect, eh?)

It was the actions of a man feeling the pressure and ill-at-ease with things, in my view.

Since then both McManus and Caldwell have been dropped from the team at different times, which can't be helping dressing room harmony.

Hmm... perhaps all is not well at Parkhead after all?

Well, until the carry-on at ER I'd have had a degree of sympathy for him, but the way he behaved there alienated me (and a lot of other Hibs fans, I suspect) totally.

Especially compared to the way John Hughes had conducted himself at Falkirk the previous Saturday.

Living in North Lanarkshire, I know and work with a number of Celtic ST-holders who are exceedingly less than happy with the boy (or should that be 'bhoy'? or even 'buoy'?).

The only thing that takes pressure off him is the fact that Rangers are playing so poorly. If they pick up (and they will, unfortunately) St Tone will need to respond in kind, by beating them, and by progressing in the Europa League.

One of my 'friends' said outright that he wished Celtic would sack Tone and 'take' Yogi to Kraphead. I explained that that would cost them a LOT of money, as Yogi has a LONG way to go on his contract, and besides, he liked working with classy players like Liam Miller and Derek Riordan, and outstanding young talent like David Wotherspoon and Darren McCormack.

He went a' crabbit for some reason. Cannae think why.... :devil:

PS - I forgot to ask, but who in Hades is 'Mero'? :cool2:

WindyMiller
30-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, until the carry-on at ER I'd have had a degree of sympathy for him, but the way he behaved there alienated me (and a lot of other Hibs fans, I suspect) totally.

Especially compared to the way John Hughes had conducted himself at Falkirk the previous Saturday.

Living in North Lanarkshire, I know and work with a number of Celtic ST-holders who are exceedingly less than happy with the boy (or should that be 'bhoy'? or even 'buoy'?).

The only thing that takes pressure off him is the fact that Rangers are playing so poorly. If they pick up (and they will, unfortunately) St Tone will need to respond in kind, by beating them, and by progressing in the Europa League.

One of my 'friends' said outright that he wished Celtic would sack Tone and 'take' Yogi to Kraphead. I explained that that would cost them a LOT of money, as Yogi has a LONG way to go on his contract, and besides, he liked working with classy players like Liam Miller and Derek Riordan, and outstanding young talent like David Wotherspoon and Darren McCormack.

He went a' crabbit for some reason. Cannae think why.... :devil:

PS - I forgot to ask, but who in Hades is 'Mero'? :cool2:

Shirley an abbreviation of Zemmama's first name?

Pedantic_Hibee
30-09-2009, 06:01 PM
£4.5m straight up, hard, cold cash.

Chuck in another million in add-ons and then we can consider it.

Until then, we'd be f***ing stupid to entertain a lower bid. The boy is unadulterated class, a bit of consistency to his game and he'll be more than worth that amount.

--------
30-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Shirley an abbreviation of Zemmama's first name?

Who calls him that?

I've only ever heard him called Zouma ... I think it was Boozy who referred to him that way in an interview a couple of years back.

Or there's the 'OOH Zemamma' chant ...

I think that journo's just making things up. :devil:

jakki
30-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Surely that this ,if correct ,would cover the whole of UK and not just Scotland
:confused:

When I went to Germany in 1969, my visa was for work as au pair with a named German family

--------
30-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Surely that this ,if correct ,would cover the whole of UK and not just Scotland
:confused:

When I went to Germany in 1969, my visa was for work as au pair with a named German family

I think you're right, Marydoll.

So if we do have to lose him, we want a nice wee auction going among a few good-class European clubs. Maybe even an exchange deal?

But he has nearly 2 years on his contract. I think we'll get at least this season from him, then, who knows?