PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Juventus

Phil D. Rolls
29-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Can anybody point me in the right direction towards newspaper reports or photos of Hibs v Juventus in 1975?

hibees74
29-09-2009, 08:16 PM
I can't find anything of Hibs playing Juventus in 1975 i have a program from 1974 . What was the score in 1975 ? .

Conrad Gray
29-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a copy of the Juventus Hurra Magazine from November 1974 which has a match report, only in italian. I also have a ticket from the away leg. PM with an EMail address and I will attempt to send you scans.

ancient hibee
29-09-2009, 08:41 PM
For the home match I would try the Daily Record archive for 24th October 1974.

Biggie
29-09-2009, 08:50 PM
That was some Juventus team that turned up that night...full of world cup players if I remember correctly...I have the programme somewhere, I'm sure it was 4-2 they beat us at ER....3-0 away I think.

Bostonhibby
29-09-2009, 09:31 PM
That was some Juventus team that turned up that night...full of world cup players if I remember correctly...I have the programme somewhere, I'm sure it was 4-2 they beat us at ER....3-0 away I think.

:agree: I was there, don't mention the name Altafini..........:brickwall
might have been 4 - 0 away?

ancient hibee
29-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Everyone laughed when he came on.

Bostonhibby
29-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Everyone laughed when he came on.

I know, sadly I remember it - small stocky guy, looked a bit past it, we were in front at the time :boo hoo:!

Bobo
29-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Can anybody point me in the right direction towards newspaper reports or photos of Hibs v Juventus in 1975?

Hibs v Juventus (http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/eagy70/HibsvJuventusReport2.jpg)

This is the best I can do buddy.

Not that good a scan but it's the best I can get.

The game was played on 23 October 1974. It was the 1st game that the fence was put up around the pitch.

Teams were:

Hibs: McArthur, Brownlie,Schaedler,Stanton, Spalding,Blackley, Edwards, Cropley, Harper, Gordon, Duncan. (Subs) McKenzie, Bremner, Murray, Smith, Munro.

Juventus: Zoff, Spinosi, Longobucco, Furino, Morino, Scires, Damiani, Cuccereddu, Anastasi, Gentile, Bettesa. (Subs) Piloni, Causio, Altafini, Viola, Marchetti.

Hope this helps.

Big_D
29-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Stanton & Cropley scored for Hibs if i mind right

Bobo
29-09-2009, 09:55 PM

:agree:

iwasthere1972
29-09-2009, 10:01 PM

:agree: In the match report above.

the happy hibee
30-09-2009, 12:07 AM
might have been 4 - 0 away?

you are correct 4 - 0 away 8-2 aggregate

Wakeyhibee
30-09-2009, 05:03 AM

Not sure if you want to shell out £39.95. As per Bobo's post above, i believe his scan is from here or a similar company doing the same:-

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Original-newspapers/football-album-GB.asp?p=FTB-36&ti1=Gifts%20for%20Aberdeen%20Fans:%20Newspaper%20A lbum

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I have a copy of the Juventus Hurra Magazine from November 1974 which has a match report, only in italian. I also have a ticket from the away leg. PM with an EMail address and I will attempt to send you scans.

PM on it's way, thanks a lot.

I can't find anything of Hibs playing Juventus in 1975 i have a program from 1974 . What was the score in 1975 ? .

Well done for getting past my security question - your £5 prize is on the way. :greengrin

Hibs v Juventus (http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/eagy70/HibsvJuventusReport2.jpg)

This is the best I can do buddy.

Not that good a scan but it's the best I can get.

The game was played on 23 October 1974. It was the 1st game that the fence was put up around the pitch.

Teams were:

Hibs: McArthur, Brownlie,Schaedler,Stanton, Spalding,Blackley, Edwards, Cropley, Harper, Gordon, Duncan. (Subs) McKenzie, Bremner, Murray, Smith, Munro.

Juventus: Zoff, Spinosi, Longobucco, Furino, Morino, Scires, Damiani, Cuccereddu, Anastasi, Gentile, Bettesa. (Subs) Piloni, Causio, Altafini, Viola, Marchetti.

Hope this helps.

That's a big help thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Not sure if you want to shell out £39.95. As per Bobo's post above, i believe his scan is from here or a similar company doing the same:-

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Original-newspapers/football-album-GB.asp?p=FTB-36&ti1=Gifts%20for%20Aberdeen%20Fans:%20Newspaper%20A lbum

A wee bit too much to pay, thanks anyway.:greengrin

Tomsk
30-09-2009, 08:42 AM
The match was sandwiched between a visit to Parkhead on the Saturday before and the League Cup final v Celtc (who else?) the following Saturday. I was at all three matches and witnessed Hibs conceding 15 goals in a week. 0-5 to Celtc, 2-4 to Juve and 3-6 to Celtc.

Happy days. :xsmilesign

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 10:24 AM
The match was sandwiched between a visit to Parkhead on the Saturday before and the League Cup final v Celtc (who else?) the following Saturday. I was at all three matches and witnessed Hibs conceding 15 goals in a week. 0-5 to Celtc, 2-4 to Juve and 3-6 to Celtc.

Happy days. :xsmilesign

Yet Turnbull kept his job for another 6 years. Times change, and it's an example of how in this day and age people are too quick to sack managers.

heretoday
30-09-2009, 10:51 AM
What fantastic nights they were! Crackling atmosphere and Hibs gave as good as they got against Juventus, Liverpool, Leeds etc.

Hibs were real contenders in those days. I don't think we realised at the time how lucky we were to witness it.

Tomsk
30-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Yet Turnbull kept his job for another 6 years. Times change, and it's an example of how in this day and age people are too quick to sack managers.

I am not sure I follow you. It would have been outrageous if Turnbull had been sacked after losing those three games. Hibs would eventually finish second in the league that season and play some cracking football to get there.

However, Hibs would hit a serious decline under Turnbull during the late 70s, from which the club took a long time to recover. In my view, for what it's worth, Turnbull overstayed his welcome by about three years. While Hibs were in decline Dundee Utd and Aberdeen were getting ready to dominate Scottish football in the early 80s.

Having said all that, Turnbull was the best manager I've seen at ER and his Tornadoes (1972 to 75) the best team I've seen.

Delboy4
30-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I remember going to the match, the efootball was fantastic!

After all the European matches my Dad would get us home quick in the car so we could see the highlights on "SportsReel"...

Remember the tune, Dum de de dum de de dum dum, duuum dee dum.

Alistair Alexander would introduce the game, but you wouldn't see him - No TV studios back then...:greengrin

Aaah the good auld days, great memories.:top marks

We need the European nights back.

hibsbollah
30-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Funnily enough I was just reading a book about Italian football last night. That Juve team were pretty special, only just lost out to the great Ajax team in the European Cup final in '73.

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I am not sure I follow you. It would have been outrageous if Turnbull had been sacked after losing those three games. Hibs would eventually finish second in the league that season and play some cracking football to get there.

However, Hibs would hit a serious decline under Turnbull during the late 70s, from which the club took a long time to recover. In my view, for what it's worth, Turnbull overstayed his welcome by about three years. While Hibs were in decline Dundee Utd and Aberdeen were getting ready to dominate Scottish football in the early 80s.

Having said all that, Turnbull was the best manager I've seen at ER and his Tornadoes (1972 to 75) the best team I've seen.

My point was that nowadays, places like Hibs.net would be in total meltdown after a series of results like that. We take too short term a view nowadays.