PDA

View Full Version : So, if not us, Who will finish 3rd?

MB62
29-09-2009, 10:15 AM
So Yogi thinks we will not finish 3rd this season, and he will probably be proved correct in the end. As much as Hibs are the usual inconsistent experts, as has been shown already this season, at the moment, I can't see a team that is so obviously better than the rest that they are sure favourites to finish 3rd.

Every team will be dropping points because there are a good few teams who will be expeting to be battling it out for 3rd and I certainly don't see why we should not be involved in that battle.
I definitely feel we have the players capable of putting us in that battle, and importantly we have an abundance of strikers who are capable of winning us any game.

I'm not saying we are brilliant or anywhere near a finished article, that defence will always concede goals, all I am saying is, if the players we have are prepared to put in a good shift each game, as they did on Saturday, and they have the personal desire to achieve something this season, then they are as good as any team in the league and better than a lot of teams, and we SHOULD be looking at finishing 3rd.

Or is there another team in the league that ARE that much better than the rest?

Andy74
29-09-2009, 10:21 AM
So Yogi thinks we will not finish 3rd this season, and he will probably be proved correct in the end. As much as Hibs are the usual inconsistent experts, as has been shown already this season, at the moment, I can't see a team that is so obviously better than the rest that they are sure favourites to finish 3rd.

Every team will be dropping points because there are a good few teams who will be expeting to be battling it out for 3rd and I certainly don't see why we should not be involved in that battle.
I definitely feel we have the players capable of putting us in that battle, and importantly we have an abundance of strikers who are capable of winning us any game.

I'm not saying we are brilliant or anywhere near a finished article, that defence will always concede goals, all I am saying is, if the players we have are prepared to put in a good shift each game, as they did on Saturday, and they have the personal desire to achieve something this season, then they are as good as any team in the league and better than a lot of teams, and we SHOULD be looking at finishing 3rd.

Or is there another team in the league that ARE that much better than the rest?

No, there are no complete squads or finished articles. We keep saying we need to add two or three, I'm sure the rest of the teams feel the same.

If i was looking in on a team with players like Riordan, Stokes, Zemmama, Miller and Benji I'be be saying that those players had enough quality to make a real difference.

The thing is though, no-one is really capable of pulling away so there are a few of us just as likely to get third as anyone else which is why Hughes can't say that we will get third.

Dundee Utd look the ones who again will be able to keep the pace. Motherwell, no, not for me, Hearts, looking less likely all the time though they may just cling around this year for one last time. Aberdeen? I don't think they are better than us.

The rest of the teams I think now are incapable of being third unless something crazy happens. killie, Falkirk etc, they are all on the slope down.

GlesgaeHibby
29-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I think Yogi was being very clever at the weekend when saying he didn't expect us to finish third. He's deflecting a lot of pressure from the team here.

I do think we have the best squad outwith the old firm. Stoke's, Riordan and Benji are 3 excellent centre forwards. Zemmama is class. Miller and McBride are two very good midfielders. We are definitely weaker than Dundee Utd at the back, but we have so much more goals in our team.

Dundee Utd should be the closest challengers to third. They have some excellent players (Weaver, Dixon, Wilkie, S Robertson, Goodwillie, Sandaza, Cadamarteri).

Keith_M
29-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Up until the weekend, I would have said that Motherwell, Hibs and Dundee United were the best bets for 3rd. I'm not so sure about Motherwell now but that may have just been a blip on their part.

I also think that Yogi is just trying to lower the expectation levels. However, I'd be dissapointed if we weren't in with a chance of Europe at the end of the season.

Incidentally, how many teams will qualify for the Champions & Europa Leagues from Scotland this year?

Hibee87
29-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Up until the weekend, I would have said that Motherwell, Hibs and Dundee United were the best bets for 3rd. I'm not so sure about Motherwell now but that may have just been a blip on their part.

I also think that Yogi is just trying to lower the expectation levels. However, I'd be dissapointed if we weren't in with a chance of Europe at the end of the season.

Incidentally, how many teams will qualify for the Champions & Europa Leagues from Scotland this year?

Surley it will be the same as last year no? top 2 chaps league 3rd and 4th europa but diiferent rounds entered. Dont even get me trying to work out the scenarios of scottish cup etc. does anyone no if the League cup winners get europe this year instead of the stupid whoever gets to the scottish final one?

--------
29-09-2009, 10:52 AM
It has to be the Gorgie Titanics. No one else has the spending-power, the fan-base, the talented coaching staff, the committed and dedicated* owner....

Full steam ahead, Shabby! :devil:

*Sorry - that should read DEFECATED. My bad! :blushie:

davemcbain
29-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Rangers :wink:

smurf
29-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Dundee Utd are our competition for 3rd.

So would be good to send them a clear message on Saturday.:greengrin

Exiled Hibby
29-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I think Yogi was right to take the pressure off by playing down our chances, however, I'm sure he would privately think that we are capable of getting third place. Being capable of it is different from actually doing it though, so no point in setting his team up for a fall.

If not us, like most others, I think Dundee Utd are biggest dangers.

If either us or Dundee Utd fire on all cylinders, and find some consistency, then who knows.....maybe the Huns for third place.:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2009, 11:02 AM
January will be the month to see if we are serious about getting that European place. If we can sign quality like we have, then there's no reason why we cant do it this time. A couple of defenders of the same quality as Miller, and I'd say we were a stick on to make 3rd or 4th.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Same as this year.

First and second in the Champions League and 3rd, 4th and Scottish Cup winners in the Europa League.

In terms of what Yogi has said, I think it was a very wise thing for him to say.

If he was to come out and say that we're going to achieve this, that and the next thing, then it would put the players under a lot of pressure to meet those targets and if they weren't met, Hughes would look rather foolish.

It's much better to downplay your chances, at least in public anyway. I'm quite sure that privately he is looking for us to get 3rd place this year and if we don't get there, he'll probably be a bit disappointed, especially if we're miles behind the team who does finish 3rd.

I don't think any of our rivals for 3rd place have anywhere near as much attacking talent that we have but I would say that Dundee Utd have a better defence.

If I was to nail my colours to the mast right now, I would say that 3rd will be between Hibs and Dundee Utd but I think it's too close to call at the moment as to who will come out on top.

One thing's for sure, Saturday is a huge game for us and I just really hope that the players can reproduce the same form in that match that they showed in the second half at Fir Park.

southern hibby
29-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Yogi does want third and he expects us to get it, However.

I feel he has made this statement to take the pressure of the team. I think he will publically come out later in the season and ammend his statement if we are in a position to get third.

Also by saying we are not good enough yet it means that the board will have to spend, were as if he says we will get third the board will just allow him the squad he has.

I think this statement is a very good one by Yogi as we can only benifit from it.

I for one still think we'll be there or there about.

--------
29-09-2009, 11:10 AM
January will be the month to see if we are serious about getting that European place. If we can sign quality like we have, then there's no reason why we cant do it this time. A couple of defenders of the same quality as Miller, and I'd say we were a stick on to make 3rd or 4th.

Defensive signings as good as Miller? :cool2:

Please, please, please, please, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :agree:

MB62
29-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree, I think Yogi was playing down the situation, and maybe he indirectly was laying down a challenge to his players, 'I don't think you lot are good enough to finish 3rd, now go out and prove me wrong'.

There is so little to choose between a few teams that I really believe it will come down to who has the biggest desire to go and prove themselves, who is up for the fight long term.

Whilst our defence is defo a bit dodgy at the moment, our midfield and strikers have the class to win any game and this might just prove to be the difference, IF they are up for it.

Another big factor for us will be the formation Yogi plays as this 4-3-3 has simply not worked for us for a couple of years now under two different managers.

rainman
29-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I've never bought into the "a couple of signings away from the finished article" mantra.

Teams like Hibs will always be losing players and needing to strengthen again.

However, bringing in a commanding centre half without losing anybody else could very well make the difference between finishing third and just missing out.

That and a bit of luck injury and suspension wise.

matty_f
29-09-2009, 11:28 AM

:top marks

If we can get to January still within touching distance of 3rd, and we're able to strengthen as you say, we'll be in a great position.

At the moment, I would genuinely take our squad ahead of most other teams, it's a case of making sure that they realise the potential and get some consistent performances together.

Keeping free of injuries and suspensions is vital too.

3pm
29-09-2009, 11:31 AM

If we sign another 2 defenders of Liam Miller's calibre then 4th isn't, in my opinion, an option. It has to be 3rd.

basehibby
29-09-2009, 11:31 AM
First up I think Yogi was bluffing when he said he didn't think his side were capable of third this season.
Who knows what he really thinks, but I would say that given Ranger's well documented financial strife, second may even be a possibility - this would obviously require a much higher degree of consistency, some wily transfers in the Jan window and a hell of a lot of luck but I don't see it as the usual impossibility.
As for third place? Realistically, the favourites are Hibs and Dundee Utd. The Yams and the Sheep have both been weakened over the summer and it's showing. Others such as Motherwell don't have the depth of playing staff. The Arabs on the other hand are building steadilly under a quality manager in Levein while Hibs have not made such drastic improvements to the playing squad since Latapy and Sauzee were signed under McLeish.

All in all I think Yogi was just trying to manage expectations among the fans and the press and so prevent the pressure building up around his team when the season has barely started - a good move but pretty transparent to anyone with their finger on the Hibees pulse IMO.

MB62
29-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't know if this is Yogi trying to take the pressure off the players or off himself.
There was no real harm in the comment, I would have just preferred he hadn't said anything on the subject than say what he did, although it was probably in reply to a direct question to some stirrer of a journo.

Despite the fact we have not really set the heather on fire so far this season, we have given ourselves a great start. I think we will find out more about the mental strength of the players now, because we certainly know they have got the ability.

Saturday is already a big game for both clubs and the winner will be entitled to believe they are genuine contenders for 3rd spot.

Given our past history in these situations, coming off the back of a very good result, there has to be a bit apprehension as to what Hibs team will turn up on Saturday.

Andy74
29-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought all this prior to the Hamilton game, big game, big message to send out and a chance to put ourselves clear and I got a good slap in the face.

I fully expect the same thing to happen on several more occassions!

Steve20
29-09-2009, 01:59 PM
We should be looking to be in the fight for third place. Dundee Utd, Hearts and maybe Aberdeen will all be in there challenging as well.

ahibby
29-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I think Saturday's team was just about the strongest side we could put out and unfortunately it won't be available to us every game. An injury to Murray, Hogg or Bamba leaves us depending on young and fairly inexperienced players. I think we have a decent, maybe a good pool of players but its questionable whether we have the experience all over the park to cover for injuries. However, other teams might be in the same position so it could all boil down to who can keep their first choice eleven fit for the most games. That being the case the top position(outwith the of) could go to anyone of three or four teams.

Sloppy
29-09-2009, 07:37 PM
hearts :agree:

:faf:

tanfield
29-09-2009, 07:41 PM
We've certainly got a decent squad this year and with there being no firm favourites for 3rd place, there is no reason why this Hibs side cannot maintain a challenge. We've seen already though that the team still has a habit to self destruct.

Rangers are no great shakes this season but they will no doubt be clear in 2nd place come May time. All the other contenders wll no doubt take points off each other.

I think Dundee Utd have a decent chance again of maintaining a challenge and even through Hearts have no strikers they will no doubt be up there again. They are experts at grinding out a 1 goal win.

lucky
29-09-2009, 07:44 PM

If we sign two defenders of Millers quality we should aiming higher than 3rd.

But the reality is its unlikely we will get two ex EPL who have the hunger to drive us on.

Robinho08
29-09-2009, 07:47 PM
If we're still in the mix for 3rd place come January and we sign a decent centre half, then we deffo in with a shout. Even if we dont sign a decent CH we'll still have a good bash at it.

Hibercelona
29-09-2009, 07:49 PM
If we fail to finish 3rd... it will be Dundee Utd.

No question about it IMO.

Onceinawhile
29-09-2009, 08:19 PM
We should be aiming to finish 3rd with the squad we have, it might not happen but anything below 4th is IMO a failure, should we manage to strengthen in defence during January then I would say we are favourites for third, at the moment I would say Dundee United probably just shade us as they have by and large been together longer as a unit.:agree:

matty_f
29-09-2009, 08:33 PM
We should be aiming to finish 3rd with the squad we have, it might not happen but anything below 4th is IMO a failure, should we manage to strengthen in defence during January then I would say we are favourites for third, at the moment I would say Dundee United probably just shade us as they have by and large been together longer as a unit.:agree:

That could actually have a large say in how things pan out. :agree:

Levein has been at Utd for a good few seasons now, he'll have the vast majority of his players on his wavelength and will have created the culture at Tannadice that he wants to.

Yogi is still in the process of putting those pieces together. Ultimately though, I think Yogi's ideology on how the club should be is better than Potter's, and I think ulimately Yogi will enjoy more success.

Whether or not it is too soon for that to happen this season remains to be seen, though.

PaulSmith
29-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Rangers. :wink:

ancient hibee
29-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Mebbe we'll concentrate on the CUP:wink:

madabouthibs
29-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Joking aside, this season is by far the best in recent years for us, and others of course, to split the old firm. I think Celtic are still quite strong, but Rangers are there for the taking this year. :agree:
We have an "iffy" defence, but at least we have the talent to bang in the goals. As long as we don't get hit with the usual Daily Record tactic of disrupting our players/team with transfer gossip around about the end of December. :yawn:

MB62
30-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Joking aside, this season is by far the best in recent years for us, and others of course, to split the old firm. I think Celtic are still quite strong, but Rangers are there for the taking this year. :agree:
We have an "iffy" defence, but at least we have the talent to bang in the goals. As long as we don't get hit with the usual Daily Record tactic of disrupting our players/team with transfer gossip around about the end of December. :yawn:

Very prophetic, although this time it is the Sun and they are at it already with Zouma :grr:

brydekirk
30-09-2009, 08:03 AM
beating utd on saturday will show us how much the players themselves want from this season. IMO dundee utd should be oor only rivals for 3rd:thumbsup: