PDA

View Full Version : Hibs to finish above Rangers

Rougier45
29-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Paddy Power:

They wouldnt give me E/W on SPL--Hibs are 175/1

only 10/3 betting without old firm -had a do8uble with that & man u for EPL.

Just under 10/1.

Phoned up for a price on Hibs to finish above Rangers got 25/1 they would not take my grand --so I betted the maximum £500 @ 25/1.

Winnings will cover my Champions league expenses for next season

Danderhall Hibs
29-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow. I wish I had £500 to chuck down a drain. :duck:

Delboy4
29-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Phoned up for a price on Hibs to finish above Rangers got 25/1 they would not take my grand --so I betted the maximum £500 @ 25/1.

I would love to see it happen, but I just don't think we have the correct defence in place yet.

We need at least one more BIG defender in the squad, a centre half preferably.

Mind you, we've have had a sh*t start to the season and we are joint second...:confused:
When I say Sh*t, I mean we haven't played fantastic - If we could get the whole team playing like our forwards we would take 6 or 7 goals of some teams, hopefully starting at Swiney against those tarts...:wink:

GGTTH
:thumbsup:

sambajustice
29-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

if you're happy at throwing money doon the pan then i'm in the market for a new watch if you'd care to invest!!

Rangers might be gash but from what i've seen of Hibs so far this season its going to be right up and down! Win one week and lose the next! We'll be far too inconsistent to even finish 3rd or maybe 4th!

Saying that, i hope you win your bet!! :greengrin:thumbsup:

Andy74
29-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Ouch.

GlesgaeHibby
29-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

What a waste of £500. Wish I had money like that to throw away.

The_Todd
29-09-2009, 09:22 AM
:faf:

Good luck with that.

M8UDB
29-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

:shocked::shocked: hope the bet comes in tho!!

Sir David Gray
29-09-2009, 09:23 AM
There is absolutely no way that we will finish 2nd. I don't think we'll even finish anywhere near 2nd in terms of our points total.

Although we have some excellent attacking players, I don't think we have the defence capable of challenging the Old Firm and if we do happen to be anywhere near Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) by the time the January window comes around, then they will dip into the transfer market and sign one or two players that will ensure they get first and second.

I hope I'm wrong but 3rd is the best we can hope for this season, IMO. I will be slightly disappointed if we finish any lower than that, though.

Craig_in_Prague
29-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Why?
Easy money.

Hainan Hibs
29-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

I've had my mind on buying a PS3, so in the spirit of throwing money away, go and buy yin for me?:greengrin

Woody1985
29-09-2009, 09:31 AM
We're starting to sound like yams :rolleyes:

Andy74
29-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Why?
Easy money.

Exactly. I'll take a grand on the same odds. In fact, if you've still got that other £500 I'll take that. Beats working for the money.

BryanV
29-09-2009, 10:16 AM
We're starting to sound like yams :rolleyes:

I agree. Some people are reaching the heights of giddiness after a good second half performance against Motherwell.

lapsedhibee
29-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree. Some people are reaching the heights of giddiness after a good second half performance against Motherwell.

:agree: Giddiness is oozing out of some posters like a cringing wound.

Keith_M
29-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I've got a second hand car for sale and you sound like just the kind of guy I'm looking for

:wink:

matty_f
29-09-2009, 10:21 AM
:faf:

Surely there's a more enjoyable way to pish £500 up the wall?

Mon Dieu4
29-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Anyone want to buy some magic beans? :cool2:

macca70
29-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Rangers have not scored in last 3 games and not as if they've played anyone any good; Aberdeen, Motherwell and killie.

No reason why we can't finish above rangers, I agree we've not been great but we're 2nd playing rubbish.

Scored 3 at Fir park, could have been more. Rangers couldn't even score 1!!

The bet might not happen but 25/1 is certainly decent value for a match bet.

Will be looking even better when Rangers are deducted 20 points for sectarian singing :)

Good luck

Peevemor
29-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm raffling a plasma tv (honest), anyone want to buy a ticket?

Killiehibbie
29-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

I hope you're right. I hope rangers finish 2nd in the league.

(((Fergus)))
29-09-2009, 11:33 AM
The OP might be onto something. We should all put 500 pound bets on Hibs to win the league, pledge to donate the winnings to a range of charities and then let the team know about it. Might help motivate them a bit better. Opposition teams would feel bad about scoring against us. We'd walk the league.

scoopyboy
29-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

I sincerely hope you win your bet.

If you do I'll probably be gutted you didn't double it with our Scottish Cup win.

scoopyboy
29-09-2009, 11:49 AM
There is absolutely no way that we will finish 2nd. I don't think we'll even finish anywhere near 2nd in terms of our points total.

Although we have some excellent attacking players, I don't think we have the defence capable of challenging the Old Firm and if we do happen to be anywhere near Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) by the time the January window comes around, then they will dip into the transfer market and sign one or two players that will ensure they get first and second.

I hope I'm wrong but 3rd is the best we can hope for this season, IMO. I will be slightly disappointed if we finish any lower than that, though.

we don't have to finish second for the bet to come in, 5th will do nicely as long as Rangers finish 6th or lower.

Alan62
29-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Only time will tell if this bet is completely daft and whether Hibs are good enough to acquire more points than Rangers. There is no doubt however that they are not as good as they have been in previous seasons while Hibs, if they can eliminate inconsistencies, have a much improved squad this year.

In previous seasons, the Old Firm have benefited from the dog-eat-dog nature of the teams underneath them while grinding out results week in week out themselves. There is some suggestion in early league form that the bottom half look weaker than usual so that creates an opportunity for the better teams to accumulate higher than usual points totals.

In a tight competition at the top of the league it is results against each other that count. Motherwell were level with us on points going into Saturday's game but we beat them convincingly away from home. The result against Dundee United on Saturday will give an early indication of Hibs' potential as challengers for a high finish in the league. Yogi's right to dampen down expectation but, privately with the players, he should be emphasising aspiration and that should be to make a huge effort for as high a finish as possible with second being a target to aspire to.

bawheid
29-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Exactly. I'll take a grand on the same odds. In fact, if you've still got that other £500 I'll take that. Beats working for the money.

If you're opening a book Andy I'll take your odds of 25/1 and put a fiver on.

Cheers.

Hibercelona
29-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

You're a mad mad man. :crazy:

Unless you're a Hibs player making that bet. :cool2:

HibbyAndy
29-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Absolute nae chance with that bet pal.

And before any yams call us deluded im sure the man was only kiddin.

:greengrin

Andy74
29-09-2009, 12:59 PM
If you're opening a book Andy I'll take your odds of 25/1 and put a fiver on.

Cheers.

You'd need to make it worth my while. I'm more in the market for those with more money than sense, starting at say £500!

iwasthere1972
29-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Der Hun finished 39 points ahead of us last season. Admittedly we were gash but for us to claim 2nd spot this season there would have to be a "swing" bigger than the one Nade has in his back garden. That's not going to happen.

Some folk don't learn do they. Claiming 3rd spot this season would do me nicely. If that happens then surely season ticket sales would increase for the following season allowing Yogi to strengthen the squad further. Maybe (and I mean a big maybe) then we could allow ourselves to get carried away and put on silly bets.

One step at a time please. We're not the Yams and would never want to be.

:jamboak: On a scale of 1 to 10 I hate them :top marks

jakedance
29-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I sincerely hope the OP can bring this thread back up at the end of the season celebrating his winnings.

That the craziest bet I've ever heard. I wouldn't put £500 on us coming third.

hibbytam
29-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, I very much hope you win.

Hibercelona
29-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Aye... we're all with you...

Now how are we going to cut the profits. :devil:

Kojock
29-09-2009, 02:43 PM

His bet is for Hibs to finish above Rangers, nobody mentioned finishing second. :agree:

iwasthere1972
29-09-2009, 02:46 PM
His bet is for Hibs to finish above Rangers, nobody mentioned finishing second. :agree:

So we would have to win it then. :wink:

Right now where did I leave my wallet? I want a piece of the action. :greengrin

lyonhibs
29-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Think of the guarentted debauchery you could get up to with 500 quid.

You could ger a starter and main course at Nade's Good Cookin' Home Eatery

You could get about 30 seconds of untold pleasure with Megan Fox (I'm just guessing at her per hour rate :greengrin)

You get easily jigger the electricity at Tynie for about 20 years - a simple spanner and a can of caustic soda would be enough to bring that Main Stand to its knees.

or...........

you could spaff it away on Hibs to finish above Rangers, a possibilty that will go from remote to zip/nada/**** all by about the end of November.

:faf::faf: :rolleyes:

cwilliamson85
29-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Has anyone actually thought of this coming up instead of the guy who put it on.

Not one team this year looks great and this could be the tightest season in YEARS!

Even if we are close come January rangers have no money to spend there way out of trouble so it is a possibility. Especially if Sir Walter does not sign a new deal an buggers off.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

sam_tee
29-09-2009, 03:20 PM
a can't belive how deluded some people are if the yams were making these kinds of claims a few seasons ago use would all be ripping them to bits. A take it use have forgotten about the game against st johnstone then? Ipe we havent played very good so far this season but neither have a lot of teams everyteam are going to get stronger the futher in to the season we go especially rangers they might no be scoring the now but they soon will be. A can just imagine kickback laughing at how deluded some people can be just cos we bet motherwell 3-1

Steve20
29-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Would love to think it could happen, but it wont.

I would be looking for better odds than 25/1 for that bet.

Andy74
29-09-2009, 03:35 PM
a can't belive how deluded some people are if the yams were making these kinds of claims a few seasons ago use would all be ripping them to bits. A take it use have forgotten about the game against st johnstone then? Ipe we havent played very good so far this season but neither have a lot of teams everyteam are going to get stronger the futher in to the season we go especially rangers they might no be scoring the now but they soon will be. A can just imagine kickback laughing at how deluded some people can be just cos we bet motherwell 3-1

The 'some people' seems to amount to one so far and he seems to have been widely derided by evetyone else.

In Hearts land this would have been treated asa real possibility by all concerned. i mean, in their current predicament they still believe it!

lapsedhibee
29-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't put £500 on us coming third.
I wouldn't put £500 on us coming fourth. :boo hoo:

Andy74
29-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Would love to think it could happen, but it wont.

I would be looking for better odds than 25/1 for that bet.

If you were staking £500 with me you could name any odds odds you liked on it! All ends up the same way.

hibs0666
29-09-2009, 03:54 PM
You're a mad mad man. :crazy:

Unless you're a Hibs player making that bet. :cool2:

Disagree totally. If results go our way in the next two weeks that price will shortn considerably and the OP will be able to close the bet out on Betfair a tiday wee sum. :thumbsup:

Big Frank
29-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Thats the spirit.:thumbsup: Rankgers are *****. So are the smellies.

Unfortunately we are now 2nd in the league and a possible threat to the status quo. There will be an upsurge in reds/yellows and suspensions coming our way.

But best of luck anyhoo:agree:

Killiehibbie
29-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Disagree totally. If results go our way in the next two weeks that price will shortn considerably and the OP will be able to close the bet out on Betfair a tiday wee sum. :thumbsup:
No market on Betfair to ensure that. All we got is League winners, without of, bottom and top scorer.

Killiehibbie
29-09-2009, 04:15 PM
If you were staking £500 with me you could name any odds odds you liked on it! All ends up the same way.

Lay anything over the odds often enough you get skint.

Mellow Hibee
29-09-2009, 04:24 PM
OP taking a bit of stick here but remember he got 25/1, it's not like he took even money and I have to assume that he's got a bit of cash to throw around. (obviously has his own peg factory)

I'd say there's a bit of value in 25/1.

macca70
29-09-2009, 04:39 PM
OP taking a bit of stick here but remember he got 25/1, it's not like he took even money and I have to assume that he's got a bit of cash to throw around. (obviously has his own peg factory)

I totally agree, might not happen but 25/1 for a match bet seems decent value

wee 162
29-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Is there a greater than 4% chance of Hibs finishing ahead of the huns?

I'd be in the camp that says yes tbh. They will be in absolutely no position to strengthen in January because they are completely brassic. The last time we were a chunk ahead of them was in November 2000. They promptly went out and spent £12m on Flo. That's no happening any time soon. They've got a weakened squad, and they've got games in Europe to deal with.

Put it this way, they're a weaker side than the one Hearts finished ahead of in 2005/6.

VegasHibby
29-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

That's a nice return. If there's ever a time for Hibs to potentially finish 2nd it's this season. However I can see Rangers spending money in the transfer market in Jnauary to assure that doesn't happen. But good for you for putting your money where your mouth is :agree:

In_terms_of
29-09-2009, 04:54 PM

:boo hoo:

lapsedhibee
29-09-2009, 04:58 PM
The last time we were a chunk ahead of them was in November 2000. They promptly went out and spent £12m on Flo. That's no happening any time soon.

So they weakened their team by including a Scandinavian huddy and yet still overtook us. :coffee:

wee 162
29-09-2009, 05:01 PM
So they weakened their team by including a Scandinavian huddy and yet still overtook us. :coffee:

He did score 11 goals in his 18 league games with them in that season.

Probably not a widespread view this, but if the huns had signed him for £3m rather than £12m he'd have been considered a very decent player for them.

James Connolly
29-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Good luch with your bet.

The major concern I would have is, out of last years top 6, we've only played Celtic so far.

The progress Hibs would need to match Rangers, will be better judged after the 1st round of fixtures.

We've a lot of tough fixtures coming up; but if we cut out the inconsistency and sort out the defence, then who knows.

Funnier things have happened I suppose!:wink:

Would take the Scottish Cup over 2nd place anyway.:greengrin

sleeping giant
29-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Good luck :agree:

I thought everyone knew not to bet on Hibs:greengrin

vahibbie
29-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I totally agree, might not happen but 25/1 for a match bet seems decent value

:agree:
Don't know why the guy's taking so much stick. If he can afford the 500 it seems a reasonable punt. General opinion is the HUNS are *****e and he's putting his money where his mouth is as far as Hibs are concerned.
Good luck to him.

Sergey
29-09-2009, 05:46 PM
If Hibs were to take 10 points out of 12 against Rangers then it could be a close call.

Losing our home matches against them (assuming we actually get 2) and it's as good as sunk.

matty_f
29-09-2009, 06:33 PM
:boo hoo:

:tee hee:

The_Todd
29-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Is there a greater than 4% chance of Hibs finishing ahead of the huns?

I'd be in the camp that says yes tbh. They will be in absolutely no position to strengthen in January because they are completely brassic. The last time we were a chunk ahead of them was in November 2000. They promptly went out and spent £12m on Flo. That's no happening any time soon. They've got a weakened squad, and they've got games in Europe to deal with.

Put it this way, they're a weaker side than the one Hearts finished ahead of in 2005/6.

I'm sure I remember us being a good deal ahead of them at some point in the season Hertz finished second only to finish well behind them.

wee 162
29-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm sure I remember us being a good deal ahead of them at some point in the season Hertz finished second only to finish well behind them.

You're right. We were about 10 points clear in November after we beat them 2-1 at ER. They signed Boyd in the following transfer window.

My point is mainly that they won't be able to do that this year. They're more likely to lose a player or two than sign them.

AFKA5814_Hibs
29-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Hibs will simply not be consistent enough to finish above the Huns, who will be in the top 2.

Our best chance in recent seasons to do that was probably in season 2000/01 when we were about 9 points ahead of them at the turn of the year, yet still finished 16 points behind them.

Neither Celtic or Rangers are any great shakes and I do think the gap between 2nd and 3rd will probably be closer this season than it was last season, but I cannot see any other team being consistent enough to challenge them over the course of the season.

Spike Mandela
29-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Have a word wi yerself:idiot:

johnrebus
30-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Paddy Power:

Could I suggest that you might want to donate that five hundred quid you've just saved to the Dnipro Appeal ?

Just a thought.........,

sadtom
30-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate.
Recent history shows that its unlikely, however they are a poor lot and i think thay might struggle this year. I think a lot will depend on whether or not they have a change of ownership.
If there is no change then their current money woes wont help them and they seem a club that is stagnating at the mo'.
If there is a change then it may be that it galvanises them. Alternatively it might mean new manager etc and that may put them into a state of transition and leave them even more vulnerable. In that respect it may be a good year to have a crack at this bet.
The biggest problem about the bet is that i reckon we will be hot and cold this year. I would feel more optimistic about your bet if we were even 6 months further into our new regime and hopefully a bit more settled and consistant, with 1 or 2 more quality signings (defence).
Still 25/1 seems reasonable value.
Good luck.

Steve20
30-09-2009, 08:44 AM

I disagree. He could have got 100/1 and I would have said don't do it. It is just not going to happen.

Rougier45
30-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Hearts did finish above rangers a few yrs back --following yr got knocked out in CL qualifying.

Stokes, riordan, Benji
Milliar, Zouma, wotherspoon,
Murray.

7 players that would get into huns team --thats if they reverted from 4-5-1 to the hibees 4-2-4

Andy74
30-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hearts did finish above rangers a few yrs back --following yr got knocked out in CL qualifying.

Stokes, riordan, Benji
Milliar, Zouma, wotherspoon,
Murray.

7 players that would get into huns team --thats if they reverted from 4-5-1 to the hibees 4-2-4

Don't know about that.

Stokes and Riordan maybe. At a push. Zemmama, aye he probably would. Benji, I doubt he'd shift Miller or Boyd if he can't yet shift our lot.

Miller, no, I doubt he'd get ahead of Davis, Mendes or Thomson but would be thereabouts I suppose.

Murray wouldn't get ahead of Papac and Wotherspoon not yet at Whittaker's level.

erskine-hibby
30-09-2009, 01:42 PM
The bet was that hibs finish above rangers. Now, whether that means that we finish 2nd, 3rd, or where ever, as long as we are above them he wins and the way they are playing at the moment it could be a very decent bet.:agree:

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 01:50 PM
The bet was that hibs finish above rangers. Now, whether that means that we finish 2nd, 3rd, or where ever, as long as we are above them he wins and the way they are playing at the moment it could be a very decent bet.:agree:

Unless we finish top of the table... :dizzy:

We won't finish above Rangers.

Here's my final league prediction

Celtic
Rangers
Hibernian
Dundee Utd
Motherwell
Aberdeen
-----------
Hearts :brokenyam:
Kilmarnock
St Johnstone
St Mirren
Hamilton
Falkirk

erskine-hibby
30-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Celtic
Rangers
Hibernian
Dundee Utd
Motherwell
Aberdeen
-----------
Kilmarnock
St Johnstone
St Mirren
Hamilton
Falkirk

Well if you are so sure, put on £500:wink:

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Well if you are so sure, put on £500:wink:

What odd's are you offering? :cool2:

iwasthere1972
30-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Celtic
Rangers
Hibernian
Dundee Utd
Motherwell
Aberdeen
-----------
Kilmarnock
St Johnstone
St Mirren
Hamilton
Falkirk

Not sure where the logic is there. :confused:

I agree with you that Celtic look the most likely to win the league however we do not have to come first to finish ahead of the huns. Second place will be good enough. :agree: It's highly unlikely of course. At this moment I would settle for any team outside the OF (except the obvious one :jamboak:)to finish 2nd and us to take 3rd spot.

Next 4 games for the huns.

Celtic (at home)
St Johnstone (away)
Hibs (at home)
Dundee United (away)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for one minute that we are contenders for second place, but on Rangers current form I can see them dropping 6 or 7 points. Celtic and us aside, St Johnstone and Dundee United are well capable of picking up all points although I see both matches ending in a draw.

The next month could be very interesting.

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Not sure where the logic is there. :confused:

I agree with you that Celtic look the most likely to win the league however we do not have to come first to finish ahead of the huns. Second place will be good enough. :agree: It's highly unlikely of course. At this moment I would settle for any team outside the OF (except the obvious one :jamboak:)to finish 2nd and us to take 3rd spot.

Next 4 games for the huns.

Celtic (at home)
St Johnstone (away)
Hibs (at home)
Dundee United (away)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for one minute that we are contenders for second place, but on Rangers current form I can see them dropping 6 or 7 points. Celtic and us aside, St Johnstone and Dundee United are well capable of picking up all points although I see both matches ending in a draw.

The next month could be very interesting.

As poor as Rangers are.... I don't think Hibs or Dundee Utd will be consistent enough to challenge them for 2nd place.

The last time when Rangers didnt finish 2nd, was when Rangers were extremely poor and Hearts had a really strong side. :tin hat:

I think Rangers will be just as poor this season... but neither Hibs or Dundee Utd will be strong enough to challenge them.

We lose 1 week... and some people are talking about us finishing bottom 6
We win the next week... and some people are talking about us challenging for 2nd.

Some people on here are sounding a bit yammish. :devil: :duck:

iwasthere1972
30-09-2009, 02:44 PM
As poor as Rangers are.... I don't think Hibs or Dundee Utd will be consistent enough to challenge them for 2nd place.

The last time when Rangers didnt finish 2nd, was when Rangers were extremely poor and Hearts had a really strong side. :tin hat:

I think Rangers will be just as poor this season... but neither Hibs or Dundee Utd will be strong enough to challenge them.

We lose 1 week... and some people are talking about us finishing bottom 6
We win the next week... and some people are talking about us challenging for 2nd.

Some people on here are sounding a bit yammish. :devil: :duck:

:grr: Don't get me wrong I am not for one moment suggesting that we will come 2nd. 3rd or 4th place is not out of the question and that would do me nicely. Throw in the Scottish Cup for an added bonus. :greengrin

Rangers look truly rank and by the weekend they could be trailing Celtic by 7 points with only 7 games played. They could also be 3rd or 4th in the league depending how our match with Dundee Utd ends and if Celtic score the same amount as Seville.

Protests forecast for Ibrox at the weekend. :devil:

Hibercelona
30-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Protests forecast for Ibrox at the weekend. :devil:

Aye....

A can see it now.

Wattie out and Hughs in. :boo hoo:

"I always wanted to be the manager of Rangers... they were my boyhood heroes" :blah: :devil:

Woody1985
30-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Why are people continually getting hung up on the bet being finishing above Rangers and not necessarily meaning we need to finish 2nd? Do people believe that they're going to finish 4th and 3rd will do it?

I understand that bet but IMHO they will not finish lower than 2nd.

When they beat Rangers to it, IIRC, Rangers had had their worst season for decades and Hearts spent ****loads on wages to get there.

This is exactly the type of swing that goes on all the time, we win a game, we're suddenly amazing, get beat from St J and are the worst team in the world, beat motherwell and are now finishing 2nd. :faf:

Let's take a step back or 5 and wait and see where we are in a couple of months.

Andy74
30-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Aye, we get that, but the notion that Rangers could be 4th or 5th is worse than the thought that the could be 3rd! AND that we would be one of the teams above them.

I think people have got acrried away on two fronts, how good we are and how bad they are.

If we had even some of the players they had we'd be talking about winning the league. We are already talking about fisinshing second with our star players being ones they wouldn't really want or had and didn't play much for them!

iwasthere1972
30-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Why are people continually getting hung up on the bet being finishing above Rangers and not necessarily meaning we need to finish 2nd? Do people believe that they're going to finish 4th and 3rd will do it?

I understand that bet but IMHO they will not finish lower than 2nd.

When they beat Rangers to it, IIRC, Rangers had had their worst season for decades and Hearts spent ****loads on wages to get there.

This is exactly the type of swing that goes on all the time, we win a game, we're suddenly amazing, get beat from St J and are the worst team in the world, beat motherwell and are now finishing 2nd. :faf:

Let's take a step back or 5 and wait and see where we are in a couple of months.

Not so sure that anybody is getting carried away thinking that this is our year to split the Old Firm. One good display resulting in a win against Motherwell is a step in the right direction but we all know that next week the feel good factor could disappear quicker than a dozen steak bakes at Tynie.

I fully expect Celtic and Rangers to be 1st and 2nd place come the end of the season but it would be make my day if we were sitting in 2nd place albeit if only for a week or two. The Rangers fans will be revolting. They always are.

:agree:

erskine-hibby
30-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Aye, we get that, but the notion that Rangers could be 4th or 5th is worse than the thought that the could be 3rd! AND that we would be one of the teams above them.

I think people have got acrried away on two fronts, how good we are and how bad they are.

If we had even some of the players they had we'd be talking about winning the league. We are already talking about fisinshing second with our star players being ones they wouldn't really want or had and didn't play much for them!

There is not one thought in my head that we will finish 2nd (except in a dream perhaps), but as i said IF they keep going like they are (unlikely but you never know) we could well finish above them:agree:

HibbyAndy
30-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Put it this way, IF Hibs were fighting for 2nd place come the final few weeks of the season you can gaurentee the refs would be hell bent on punishing us for absolute zilch whils the current get away with murder :agree:

Myself , i would be delighted with a 3rd place finish.

GC
30-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I saw the thread and thought it was a joke.

You were prepared to bet a grand on Hibs finishing above Rangers but you settled for £500.

Your insane.

Good luck with it though, but there is more chance of Nade winning Scottish Slimmers lose 1lb in a year challenge.

Hibs Spain
30-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Winnings will cover my Champions league expenses for next seasonMy outrageous bet was Hibs to finish 3rd or above,Leeds, Liverpool and Burnley to stay up.. £10 for £2,700 return :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
30-09-2009, 06:22 PM
My outrageous bet was Hibs to finish 3rd or above,Leeds, Liverpool and Burnley to stay up.. £10 for £2,700 return :wink:

Leeds and Liverpool won't get relegated so that part looks safe. :wink:

Hibby 2005
30-09-2009, 06:27 PM
To split the OF or even contemplate the unthinkable we'd have to reach a level of consistency not seen since the 70's. It's a long road we've just started on under Yogi and hopefully he'll be given time and money and blessed with no little luck in order to get there but it would probably have to be coupled with an almighty collapse from one of the ugly sisiters, hopefully Rangers.

joe breezy
30-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Would be a big surprise, hope the OP has plenty spare cash, I've certainly lost a lot more than £500 at the bookies now so can't criticise what seems a bold bet

Oranje39
30-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't put £500 on us coming fourth. :boo hoo:

I wouldn't put £5 on it either!

Prof. Shaggy
30-09-2009, 07:30 PM
To split the OF or even contemplate the unthinkable we'd have to reach a level of consistency not seen since the 70's. It's a long road we've just started on under Yogi and hopefully he'll be given time and money and blessed with no little luck in order to get there but it would probably have to be coupled with an almighty collapse from one of the ugly sisiters, hopefully Rangers.

I think you're right, but that level of consistency itself probably wouldn't be enough to finish ahead of Rangers.

If you look at the results of season 2005-06, when Hearts managed it, another factor came into the equation - that was the number of teams that could do real damage to Rangers.

Here's Rangers results against four of their main contenders and the points split from the 16 games:-
Aberdeen W2 D2 8pts Rang 2pts
Hibs W2 L2 6pts Rang 6pts
Celtc W2 D1 L1 7pts Rang 4pts
Hertz W1 D1 L2 4pts Rang 7pts

That was a total of 19 points out of a possible total of 48 when they could normally expect a reasonable haul of 30-40.
In addition Falkirk(twice), Dundee Utd, Livi, ICT and the Pars all took points off Rangers (draws) in the early part of the season.

My point is that Hearts' consistency over the course of that season was only able to win 2nd place (by a solitary point ahead of Rangers) on the basis of a huge effort by other teams especially the other 3 teams above.

I don't see any evidence yet that there is a group of teams out there who can do that sort of damage.

basehibby
30-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd say the odds the OP has got are very good.
Der huns are lacking in depth at the moment and can't afford to spend their way out of trouble like they usually do. Hibs at the same time, having strengthened significantly already, are actually one of the most likely to splash a bit of cash in January.
So if (and that's a big IF) Hibs were to put together a good run early doors it wouldn't be eroded with the same ease we have seen in the past.

So - by my estimation the 25-1 odds are very favourable - in reality I'd put it at about 10 or 15-1 - but even then it's still a bloody long shot and wild horses would not pull me into a bookies to put £500 on it (maybe a fiver though :cool2:)

sambajustice
29-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Paddy Power:

Just under 10/1.

Errrrrr, not looking such a daft bet now after all even if the original stake is still obscene!!!

:applause:

jakedance
29-10-2009, 04:50 PM
It's still an insane bet. At the moment Rangers are, by their own standards, playing very poorly and we are, by our own standards, playing well. Despite this they're still ahead of us.

To finish above them we'd need to improve and play to that level consistently over the whole season. Rangers, on the other hand would need to stay as bad as they are now, or get even worse, and again, play that badly over the whole season.

The odds the OP got were good but it still isn't going to happen.

I hope by responding with such certainty I'm proven wrong. For the record we're not going to win the Scottish Cup or pump Hearts 8-0. No way. No chance. Ain't going to happen.

Woody1985
29-10-2009, 05:06 PM
It's still an insane bet. At the moment Rangers are, by their own standards, playing very poorly and we are, by our own standards, playing well. Despite this they're still ahead of us.

To finish above them we'd need to improve and play to that level consistently over the whole season. Rangers, on the other hand would need to stay as bad as they are now, or get even worse, and again, play that badly over the whole season.

The odds the OP got were good but it still isn't going to happen.

I hope by responding with such certainty I'm proven wrong. For the record we're not going to win the Scottish Cup or pump Hearts 8-0. No way. No chance. Ain't going to happen.

I'm going to agree with this and say that we can't finish ahead of them. I should add that I've not had a coupon up for about 4 years.

It's a cert now. :greengrin