PDA

View Full Version : Deeks for Scotland (merged)

Auckland Hibs
29-09-2009, 07:00 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/09/29/in-form-derek-riordan-deserves-scotland-recall-insists-hibs-boss-hughes-86908-21708844/

You got to wait until Thursday but surely he should be in the squad for Japan?! :confused:

1two
29-09-2009, 07:19 AM
His work rate puts a big dampner on his goal scoring record. Added to the fact that he plays his football in Edinburgh, he will not be in the Scotland Squad imo.

bawheid
29-09-2009, 07:25 AM
His work rate puts a big dampner on his goal scoring record. Added to the fact that he plays his football in Edinburgh, he will not be in the Scotland Squad imo.

His work rate has been second to none in the Hibs team this year IMO.

Dashing Bob S
29-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Far too good for that embarrassment. He'd walk into the Brazil squad though.

CRAZYHIBBY
29-09-2009, 07:31 AM
i seriously doubt he will play for scotland whilst burley is in charge

GlesgaeHibby
29-09-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/09/29/in-form-derek-riordan-deserves-scotland-recall-insists-hibs-boss-hughes-86908-21708844/

You got to wait until Thursday but surely he should be in the squad for Japan?! :confused:

:confused: I guess I've missed something here. When are we playing Japan?

Auckland Hibs
29-09-2009, 07:53 AM
:confused: I guess I've missed something here. When are we playing Japan?

From the Beeb...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/fixtures/default.stm

Saturday, 10 October 2009
International Match
Japan v Scotland

bighairyfaeleith
29-09-2009, 07:55 AM
what time is it on, I'm guessing it won't be on tv????

the_ginger_hibee
29-09-2009, 08:11 AM
what time is it on, I'm guessing it won't be on tv????

I'd imagine it will be, BBC showed the game last time. This is for The Kirin Cup is it not? The thing we won a few years back.

rainman
29-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Riordan's goals will get him a call up at some point.

I don't think he will ever be a regular or even a starter in competitive games for Scotland.

I think the SPL is his level and he will continue to do well in it.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I think criticism of his workrate was a valid point in the past but I think that is a side to his game that he is working on and improving.

On Saturday for example, he was often found playing at left back.

Apart from anything else, Derek Riordan is the most natural finisher in the whole country as far as I'm concerned and if Burley doesn't pick him to play in Japan, then he should just "do a Boyd" and tell Burley where to stick it.

1two
29-09-2009, 09:32 AM

We must watch different Hibs games then...

Booked4Being-Ugly
29-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Anythings got to be better than the than the tedium of watching the heedless chicken that is K. Miller. :yawn:

greenlex
29-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Until he can behave himself for a sustained period of time off field then he wont be in a Scotland squad. A month or two doesn't qualify. :boo hoo:

RIP
29-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Kevin Thomson has also been playing well - a good long-term midfield replacement for Barry the Crab.

Ian Murray must be in with a shout as well - showing good form. Steven Whittaker is on fire at the moment and may be preferred at RB with Hutton losing his first-team place at Spurs

Team
Gordon

Whittaker, Caldwell, McManus, Murray

Thomson, Fletcher D, Brown

Riordan, Fletcher S, O'Connor G

8 current or ex-Hibbies out of 11? :greengrin

Allant1981
29-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Kevin Thomson has also been playing well - a good long-term midfield replacement for Barry the Crab.

Ian Murray must be in with a shout as well - showing good form. Steven Whittaker is on fire at the moment and may be preferred at RB with Hutton losing his first-team place at Spurs

Team
Marshall

Whittaker, Caldwell, McManus, Murray

Thomson, Fletcher D, Brown

Riordan, Fletcher S, O'Connor G

8 current or ex-Hibbies out of 11? :greengrin

Is gordon injured?

RIP
29-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Is gordon injured?

No he's back:wink:

jdships
29-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Depends what Burley is looking for !
Play one up front in an "effort" not to lose the game - K.Miller plays.
or
Play two up front in an "effort" to win the game - Riordan should at least get a chance.

Don't hold your breath !!

:greengrin

el capitano
29-09-2009, 10:52 AM
he wont get in as a centre forward, hes been playing really well as a left sided player so if he gets in thats where it will be.

LamontHFC©
29-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I think criticism of his workrate was a valid point in the past but I think that is a side to his game that he is working on and improving.

On Saturday for example, he was often found playing at left back.

Apart from anything else, Derek Riordan is the most natural finisher in the whole country as far as I'm concerned and if Burley doesn't pick him to play in Japan, then he should just "do a Boyd" and tell Burley where to stick it.

:rolleyes:

And we know how well that turned out for Boyd.

Or he could just knuckle down and score plenty of goals and get a call up to the next squad maybe ?

Sir David Gray
29-09-2009, 11:15 AM
:rolleyes:

And we know how well that turned out for Boyd.

Or he could just knuckle down and score plenty of goals and get a call up to the next squad maybe ?

I don't fully subscribe to the anti-Kris Boyd witch hunt that has taken place over the past year or whatever. I can understand his frustration and I can understand why he did what he did, although it's probably not the course of action that I would personally have taken. The only thing that gets me is that he doesn't seem quite as willing to tell Walter Smith where to stick his Rangers jersey when he often starts on the bench for them.

If Derek Riordan doesn't get included in the next squad, when he's already the leading Scottish goalscorer in the SPL and is playing every single week for his club, I could fully understand if he doesn't see the point in continuing to be available for Scotland, whilst George Burley is manager.

It's an absolute joke (and not a very good one at that) that the likes of Kevin Kyle are being selected ahead of him.

euro Hibby
29-09-2009, 11:17 AM
prefer him to be stay at home for this one. Long way to Japan and would come back knackered. Daft place to go.

bawheid
29-09-2009, 11:35 AM
If Derek Riordan doesn't get included in the next squad, when he's already the leading Scottish goalscorer in the SPL and is playing every single week for his club, I could fully understand if he doesn't see the point in continuing to be available for Scotland, whilst George Burley is manager.

That would be a spineless, childish and dare I say "hunnish" approach to the situation. If you don't get picked fine, but to do what Boyd did is unforgivable. Boyd should be told in no uncertain terms he will never play for Scotland again no matter who the manager is.

It's an absolute joke (and not a very good one at that) that the likes of Kevin Kyle are being selected ahead of him.

Not really. Kyle has done very well since joining the SPL, and offers something completely different to Riordan. It's daft to compare the two players IMO.

Having said that, Riordan should be in the squad.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2009, 11:48 AM
That would be a spineless, childish and dare I say "hunnish" approach to the situation. If you don't get picked fine, but to do what Boyd did is unforgivable. Boyd should be told in no uncertain terms he will never play for Scotland again no matter who the manager is.

Fair enough, that seems to be the majority opinion on the matter. I just can't understand for the life of me how someone who has scored 172 goals in 238 career starts can possibly be overlooked. It actually beggars belief, if i'm being honest.

Not really. Kyle has done very well since joining the SPL, and offers something completely different to Riordan. It's daft to compare the two players IMO.

Having said that, Riordan should be in the squad.

Strikers are there to score goals and Derek Riordan does that job better than any other available Scottish striker so I would say that for Kyle to be handed a place instead of Riordan is a joke.

basehibby
29-09-2009, 11:50 AM
This is a friendly coming up and with many months to go before the next meaningful Scotland game it is without doubt the time to experiment.

Scotland do not have many players at all with the class in front of goal which Riordan has consistently demonstrated - in fact, other than Boyd (who has already spat the dummy and who tends to make Deek look like a workaholic most days) I think Deeks is in a class of his own in Scotland in that respect.

It would therefore be a criminal act of negligence and sheer idiocy NOT to select Riordan for this squad IMHO.

Burley has already made a number of serious errors in his time as Scotland manager and was fortunate to hang onto his job a few weeks back - failure to make obvious selections such as Deeks for this squad would signal that the SFA made the wrong decision IMO.

Regina Phalange
29-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Riordan hasn't done nearly enough to get a call up, and the biggest problem is that I'm pretty sure he believes he has. Unless there is a raft of injuries to the guys who are deservedly ahead of him in the queue then he should stay at home. I'd go as far as to say that it's more likely that he will never be called up again than that he will go on to have a successful international career. I hope he proves me wrong.

For those arguing about Kevin Kyle, he has a better goal scoring record in the SPL since joining Kilmarnock than Riordan has since coming back to Hibs. I don't think Kyle is an international class player either though.

PISTOL1875
29-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Riordan will toil to get into the Scotland team due to his off-field antics.. The SFA want nothing do with players who have brushes with the law.. Why do you think Lee Wallace is never quoted ???

Remember how they treated Duncan Ferguson ???

Mon Dieu4
29-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Riordan hasn't done nearly enough to get a call up, and the biggest problem is that I'm pretty sure he believes he has. Unless there is a raft of injuries to the guys who are deservedly ahead of him in the queue then he should stay at home. I'd go as far as to say that it's more likely that he will never be called up again than that he will go on to have a successful international career. I hope he proves me wrong.

For those arguing about Kevin Kyle, he has a better goal scoring record in the SPL since joining Kilmarnock than Riordan has since coming back to Hibs. I don't think Kyle is an international class player either though.

81 goals for Hibs about 90 in total career wise & the most natural finisher Scotland have suggests otherwise

H18sry
29-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I'd imagine it will be, BBC showed the game last time. This is for The Kirin Cup is it not? The thing we won a few years back.

No it's just a run of the mill meaningless friendly, Whatever possessed the SFA to agree to a match on the other side of the world is beyond comprehension.

Steve20
29-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Riordan hasn't done nearly enough to get a call up, and the biggest problem is that I'm pretty sure he believes he has. Unless there is a raft of injuries to the guys who are deservedly ahead of him in the queue then he should stay at home.

Like who?

Naismith - Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Kyle - Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Miller - Not a chance. Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for him not to be included. As long as he plays for Hibs, that's all I care about.

rainman
29-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Like who?

Naismith - Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Kyle - Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Miller - Not a chance. Doesn't deserve to be in ahead of Deek.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for him not to be included. As long as he plays for Hibs, that's all I care about.

I have to agree with you.

Things are going well, he's settled and scoring goals. Do we need him flying to Japan for a meaningless tournament?

Hibs players getting call ups makes internationals bearable but I'm not too bothered about it. As long as they're doing the business for us, I'll be happy.

basehibby
29-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Is your handle rhyming slang or something? It would certainly be appropriate as you are talking pish (IMO of course :greengrin)

Allant1981
29-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Are you sure about that

Just checked for last season Riordan 29 starts 12 goals, this season 8 - 6
Kyle 12 starts 8 goals this season 6 - 4

Not bad return for both actually, still rather have deek playing for my team than kyle

Hibercelona
29-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Taking the Hibs perspective on the matter...

Isnt it a good thing that Derek isnt in the Scotland squad? :confused:

Regina Phalange
29-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Are you sure about that

Yep, 16 in 38 (4 of which were as a sub) for Riordan is 0.42 goals a game. 10 in 16 (1 as a sub) is 0.63 goals a game for Kyle. Roughly speaking 2 in 5 for Riordan to 3 in 5 for Kyle. Riordan does have 4 in 6 this season to Kyle's 2 in 5, although Kyle has another 2 in the league cup to Riordan's 1.

Kyle hasn't scored since he got his call up, when he was announced in the squad he had 10 in 13 since joining Killie, or 0.77 goals per game (not far off 4 in every 5), including a double on the opening day of the season..

Allant1981
29-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Yep, 16 in 38 (4 of which were as a sub) for Riordan is 0.42 goals a game. 10 in 16 (1 as a sub) is 0.63 goals a game for Kyle. Roughly speaking 2 in 5 for Riordan to 3 in 5 for Kyle. Riordan does have 4 in 6 this season to Kyle's 2 in 5, although Kyle has another 2 in the league cup to Riordan's 1.

Kyle hasn't scored since he got his call up, when he was announced in the squad he had 10 in 13 since joining Killie, or 0.77 goals per game (not far off 4 in every 5), including a double on the opening day of the season..

I did edit the post when i checked both players stats on the respective club web sites

plhibs
29-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he was included because i think most of the so called "regulars" will not want to go there for a friendly at this time in the season. Stupid to be doing this now but i suppose the SFA hoped we would have qualified and we needed to keep the team together.

Tricla
29-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't fully subscribe to the anti-Kris Boyd witch hunt that has taken place over the past year or whatever. I can understand his frustration and I can understand why he did what he did, although it's probably not the course of action that I would personally have taken. The only thing that gets me is that he doesn't seem quite as willing to tell Walter Smith where to stick his Rangers jersey when he often starts on the bench for them.

If we're selecting our strikers on goal scoring prowess alone then IMO Kyle should be in the squad. The poor joke arises when people like Kenny Miller get a call up ahead of actual goalscorers.

the_ginger_hibee
29-09-2009, 03:30 PM
No it's just a run of the mill meaningless friendly, Whatever possessed the SFA to agree to a match on the other side of the world is beyond comprehension.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=1148&printpage=1

SFA site seems to suggest otherwise, but it wouldnt be like them to get it wrong.

500miles
29-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Riordan has upped his work rate and should be in the Scotland squad. However, he is still too easily beaten, and should be an option on the bench. Scotland need players who can compete all over the park. That is not Riordan's forte.

Westie1875
29-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Riordan has upped his work rate and should be in the Scotland squad. However, he is still too easily beaten, and should be an option on the bench. Scotland need players who can compete all over the park. That is not Riordan's forte.

I'd suggest that Scotland are even more in need of someone who can hit the back of the net on a regular basis. :cool2:

HibbyAndy
29-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Derek Riordan should be in the sqaud if the likes of Kenny Miller are!

Who gives a toss about workrate?!...Riordan scores goals, please tell me what the likes of KM provide?

Give me a goalscorer over a hardworker every single day of the week.

Naismith Miller Maloney PUUUULLLEASE.

Alfred E Newman
29-09-2009, 09:14 PM

It has been proved that Scotland need more than 11 work horses in their line up.

Moulin Yarns
29-09-2009, 09:19 PM
It has been proved that Scotland need more than 11 work horses in their line up.

More like 11 clothes horses

jgl07
29-09-2009, 09:36 PM

You are overlooking the fact that Kyle plays exclusively up front while Riordan plays mostly in a wide midfield position.

dangermouse
30-09-2009, 09:50 AM

We must watch different Hibs games then...

I think I must go to the same games as bawheid as I agree with his opinion about Deek. Against Motherwell he must have covered almost every blade of grass on the park and at times was almost playing as a left back. My man of the match.

HibbyAndy
30-09-2009, 09:05 PM
If absolute pish like Kenny nae goals Miller gets a call up time after time after time etc...then DR should be in that sqaud every single time.

The most natural finisher in the game we have (Maybe argue Boyd but hes in a big huff).

If this laddie aint in the sqaud on Thursday then GB should take a direct sqaure on boot in the balls.

500miles
30-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Kenny Miller shouldn't be first choice anymore - but he's not the only player Riordan is competeing with. However, we need someone with stregnth and work ethic, who will score more goals than KM. O'Connor is stronger and a better goalscorer, Naismith is getting better and better (but is due another injury soon), Fletcher can compete and score goals. McCormack will run and run AND score goals. Of course, there is also McFadden.

For me, O'Connor and McFadden should be up front with Naismith and Fletcher out wide. Scotland would struggle to support Riordan for 90 minutes. This is top level football, not the SPL.

Chuckie
30-09-2009, 10:20 PM
If absolute pish like Kenny nae goals Miller gets a call up time after time after time etc...then DR should be in that sqaud every single time.

The most natural finisher in the game we have (Maybe argue Boyd but hes in a big huff).

If this laddie aint in the sqaud on Thursday then GB should take a direct sqaure on boot in the balls.

Should take one anyway for being a Hearts cant..

Jonnyboy
30-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Kenny Miller shouldn't be first choice anymore - but he's not the only player Riordan is competeing with. However, we need someone with stregnth and work ethic, who will score more goals than KM. O'Connor is stronger and a better goalscorer, Naismith is getting better and better (but is due another injury soon), Fletcher can compete and score goals. McCormack will run and run AND score goals. Of course, there is also McFadden.

For me, O'Connor and McFadden should be up front with Naismith and Fletcher out wide. Scotland would struggle to support Riordan for 90 minutes. This is top level football, not the SPL.

Not sure how you can suggest Riordan wouldn't work hard enough and then include McFadden in your team? McFadden flits in and out of the game and is hardly a worker!

silverhibee
30-09-2009, 11:31 PM
According to todays Sun newspaper Derek Riordan has been called up for the Scotland squad for the trip to Japan.
Well done Deeks.:thumbsup:

greenlex
30-09-2009, 11:33 PM
According to todays Sun newspaper Derek Riordan has been called up for the Scotland squad for the trip to Japan.
Well done Deeks.:thumbsup:
Does he know yet?
Might keep him out of trouble for a bit. :wink: Well done son. :agree:

iwasthere1972
01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2662909/Deeks-big-in-Japan.html

Well done wee man.

Hibs90
01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
About time. :thumbsup:

Shrekko
01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Well deserved and I'm sure he's not going all that way not to get at least part of the game.

The quality of his goals so far this season have been top notch and a player who can get a goal from nothing MUST be worth a place in the current Scotland squad.

Billychaotic182
01-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Danny Fox :confused:

yogi984
01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Danny Fox :confused:

Could be the left back wev been needing and can hit a free kick. Well done derek. Well deserved :)

yogi984
01-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Proving it was the best move for both Deeks and big rod! Anyone know the japanese for cabbage? Glory glory :)

Moulin Yarns
01-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Proving it was the best move for both Deeks and big rod! Anyone know the japanese for cabbage? Glory glory :)

I'm bound to be slayed, but is it not Groly Groly :duck:

Leithenhibby
01-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Good news for DR, but will he get a game?, It's a long way to go to sit on a bench and hopefully come back fully fit....good luck.

BryanV
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Danny Fox, what are we the England E team?

wazoo1875
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM
:tee hee:

I'm bound to be slayed, but is it not Groly Groly :duck:

Well done Derek

Last Minute
01-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Well done Deeks. It was only a matter of time before burley saw the light:thumbsup:

Dibben
01-10-2009, 06:32 AM
:thumbsup:

Well done Deeks.

Burley wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't pick him!!!

BH.

erskine-hibby
01-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Well done Deeks.
I just wonder if it was his performances or the clamour from the press recently that swayed it...or am i being too cynical?

erskine-hibby
01-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I thought it was a master stroke bringing Deeks back to ER, though at the time there were many on here, and amazingly still are, that question if that move was in Hibs best interest.

M8UDB
01-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Good stuff deek :thumbsup:
Its about time as well!!!

Hainan Hibs
01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Great news for Deeks:thumbsup:.

Personally don't agree with Fox being called up.

brydekirk
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
well done deeks, burst the net :thumbsup:

matty_f
01-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I thought it was a master stroke bringing Deeks back to ER, though at the time there were many on here, and amazingly still are, that question if that move was in Hibs best interest.

:top marks Unbelievable, eh?!

Well done Deeks, and with the call up comes a massive GIRFUY to Strachan, as well.:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
見事な、幸運デレック :agree:

Delboy4
01-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Well done Deeks, don't let yourself down.

Hopefully with this call up, you might settle down and stay away from trouble...:thumbsup:

Stick the ba' in Japs net.:greengrin

marxman
01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
hibees への栄光栄光 :greengrin

Wilson
01-10-2009, 08:41 AM

A call up to a Scotland friendly doesn't really settle that argument one way or the other.

All the same - well done Deek.

erin go bragh
01-10-2009, 08:46 AM
A call up to a Scotland friendly doesn't really settle that argument one way or the other.

surely his goals last season and this season does:grr:
well done deeks

Wilson
01-10-2009, 08:54 AM
surely his goals last season and this season does:grr:
well done deeks

No. They are certainly a major part of the argument in his favour though :wink:

Auckland Hibs
01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Well done Deeks!

Recognition at International level for his work and goals at Hibs can only benefit the club in the long-term IMO :top marks

Stevie Reid
01-10-2009, 09:15 AM
No. They are certainly a major part of the argument in his favour though :wink:

81 goals in 151 starts for the Cabbage - there's only one place I (and any rational Hibbie should) want Deeks to be.

If the Scotland call up means he can lift his game a wee bit higher, then even better for us.

Andy.1875
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Well done Deeks, don't let yourself down.

Hopefully with this call up, you might settle down and stay away from trouble...:thumbsup:

Stick the ba' in Japs net.:greengrin

Probably be some good nightclubs out there for him!

basehibby
01-10-2009, 09:25 AM
:thumbsup: Well done Deeks - fully deserved given the goals ratio, improved work rate and general play this season.

Now hopefully Burley will give him a decent run out (ie more than 5 mins at the end) to show what he can do.

basehibby
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM

:top marksComing back to the Hibees has worked perfectly for all parties - hopefully the Scotland call-up will give Deeks a shot in the arm and help improve his form even more :thumbsup:

sunshine1875
01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I see that Andy Driver is not ruling out a Scotland cap. He says he would consider it if it meant winning a full international cap. Firstly, does he honestly believe that he is good enough to play for England. And, secondly, does he honestly believe that the Tartan Army would support him knowing that we are his second choice. And, finally, is he really good enough to play for Scotland - not seen enough of him to comment, but if DVZ can keep him quiet then he must be Nade!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/news/2009/10/01/andy-driver-i-won-t-rule-out-scotland-call-up-86908-21713804/

PS - well done Deeks, assuming the Sun/Record have it right.

hibbie02
01-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Is it "Dinner"?

'Mon Deek, pit the baw in the net son! :thumbsup:

sunshine1875
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Wouldn't you love it if he produces a man of the match performances and the TV channels have Strachan as the TV pundit.

heretoday
01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I dunno what Yokohama is like but keeps Deeks away from Rapongi in Tokyo. We'd probably never see him again!

Ritchie
01-10-2009, 10:01 AM
this could be a disaster.... he aint banned from nightclubs in japan!
keep off the sake deek!! :devil:

well done deek, its about time!!!:agree::thumbsup:

andrew70
01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Full Squad here:-

Celtic defender Danny Fox and Preston’s Ross Wallace were today included in the Scotland squad to play Japan in a friendly in Yokohama on October 10.
George Burley has also called up Leeds United midfielder Robert Snodgrass, and recalled Hibs star Derek Riordan and Blackpool’s Charlie Adam.
Despite Celtic’s request that Scott Brown be omitted to allow his injured ankle to recover, the midfielder has also been included.
His Parkhead team-mate Fox had previously made it to the bench for the England Under-21 side. But, through the grandparents rule, the former Coventry full-back has now made the switch to Scotland.
Wallace and Snodgrass have impressed Burley with their performances for Leeds and Preston respectively.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City).
Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Celtic ), Daniel Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Spurs), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Rangers).
Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Brom), Darren Fletcher (Man United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds), Kevin Thomson (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Preston).
Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Garry O’Connor (Birmingham), Derek Riordan (Hibernian).

Green Mikey
01-10-2009, 10:09 AM

Celtic defender Danny Fox and Preston’s Ross Wallace were today included in the Scotland squad to play Japan in a friendly in Yokohama on October 10.
George Burley has also called up Leeds United midfielder Robert Snodgrass, and recalled Hibs star Derek Riordan and Blackpool’s Charlie Adam.
Despite Celtic’s request that Scott Brown be omitted to allow his injured ankle to recover, the midfielder has also been included.
His Parkhead team-mate Fox had previously made it to the bench for the England Under-21 side. But, through the grandparents rule, the former Coventry full-back has now made the switch to Scotland.
Wallace and Snodgrass have impressed Burley with their performances for Leeds and Preston respectively.

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), Jamie Langfield (Aberdeen), David Marshall (Cardiff City).
Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Celtic ), Daniel Fox (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Spurs), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Steven Whittaker (Rangers).
Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Brom), Darren Fletcher (Man United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds), Kevin Thomson (Rangers), Ross Wallace (Preston).
Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Burnley), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Garry O’Connor (Birmingham), Derek Riordan (Hibernian).

6 ex-Hibees and 1 current Hibee in the squad:greengrin

Hibees07
01-10-2009, 10:10 AM
7 Hibees or ex-Hibees.

2 ex-Jambos

Could it be an all Hibees forward line?.

Bring it on! :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
01-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Matter of time before Brown, Fletcher, Gordon, etc pull out due to mythical injuries however good news for Deek and hopefully a boost to kick himself on to the next level.

James Connolly
01-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Charlie Adam!!!!:bitchy:

Well done to Deek on the call up though!:thumbsup:

LamontHFC©
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Good squad. :agree:

I'm impressed with Burley. Now, hopefully he has the bottle to leave the likes of Kenny Miller etc. out of the important games.

:saltireflag

andrew70
01-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Good squad. :agree:

I'm impressed with Burley. Now, hopefully he has the bottle to leave the likes of Kenny Miller etc. out of the important games.

:saltireflag

I feel the midfielders are mostly left footed individuals with Brown and Maloney the exceptions

Ritchie
01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
by far the best squad burley has picked!

delighted that dorrans, snodgrass, wallace, fox & deek are getting thought of!! :thumbsup:

GlesgaeHibby
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Charlie Adam!!!!:bitchy:

Well done to Deek on the call up though!:thumbsup:

I guess you've not had an eye on the championship then? Charlie has been scoring goals and playing well for Blackpool pushing them to a position just outside of the play off's.

Exiled Hibby
01-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Disgraceful selection. Burley's anti- hibs bias shows through. No Rankin, Wotherspoon, Nish, McBride, Hanlon or Galbraith:grr:

Seriously, it looks decent squad. Here's hoping this is the start of a positive era.

talking_wiss
01-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I've always been under the impression Scotland was his first choice but under current rulings he can't play for Scotland. Can't see the Tartan Army having any problems with him if that's the case. Definitely good enough for Scotland though needs to get away from Tynie and play in a footballing team with strikers.

Great to see Deek back in the set-up, do his confidence a bit of good before Sat.

I see that Andy Driver is not ruling out a Scotland cap. He says he would consider it if it meant winning a full international cap. Firstly, does he honestly believe that he is good enough to play for England. And, secondly, does he honestly believe that the Tartan Army would support him knowing that we are his second choice. And, finally, is he really good enough to play for Scotland - not seen enough of him to comment, but if DVZ can keep him quiet then he must be Nade!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/news/2009/10/01/andy-driver-i-won-t-rule-out-scotland-call-up-86908-21713804/

PS - well done Deeks, assuming the Sun/Record have it right.

Love the Green
01-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Great young minded squad...let's keep them together for the next 2 years and let them develop and mature add any others who impress with their clubs ..this is the best way forward no more recalls for all the old rubbish..Weir, Miller or Alexander..

"keep the faith":wink:

Cocaine&Caviar
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Theres every chance of a Riordan/Oconnor strike duo once again at some point in the match, would be nice to see for the first time 4 years on...

Speedway
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I've always been under the impression Scotland was his first choice but under current rulings he can't play for Scotland. Can't see the Tartan Army having any problems with him if that's the case. Definitely good enough for Scotland though needs to get away from Tynie and play in a footballing team with strikers.

Great to see Deek back in the set-up, do his confidence a bit of good before Sat.

That's right. I think ultimately, if Burley picks Riordan to start in the team, he'll get game time.

500miles
01-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Not sure how you can suggest Riordan wouldn't work hard enough and then include McFadden in your team? McFadden flits in and out of the game and is hardly a worker!

McFadden still gets involved more than Riordan though. I don't want 11 workhorses, and McFadden is nothing like a workhorse. However, he does get involved more than Riordan for the 90 minutes. However, I reckon Riordan off the bench would be potentially more dangerous than McFadden off the bench. They do a lot of the same things well, and share some weaknesses, but to different degrees if you get my meaning?

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2662909/Deeks-big-in-Japan.html

Well done wee man.

This always amuses me (ok, I'm easily amused :greengrin). It could be that iwasthere1972 is 6' 6" of course and in which case 'wee man' is an accurate description :wink:

Could be the left back wev been needing and can hit a free kick. Well done derek. Well deserved :)

If Derek's in the team Fox wont get anywhere near taking free kicks if they're awarded anything up to 40 yards from goal :greengrin

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Great young minded squad...let's keep them together for the next 2 years and let them develop and mature add any others who impress with their clubs ..this is the best way forward no more recalls for all the old rubbish..Weir, Miller or Alexander..

"keep the faith":wink:

Absolutely :agree:

Let's hope we've seen the last of the likes of Weir, Alexander and Teale

Jonnyboy
McFadden still gets involved more than Riordan though. I don't want 11 workhorses, and McFadden is nothing like a workhorse. However, he does get involved more than Riordan for the 90 minutes. However, I reckon Riordan off the bench would be potentially more dangerous than McFadden off the bench. They do a lot of the same things well, and share some weaknesses, but to different degrees if you get my meaning?

I take your point :agree:

Exiled Hibby
I feel the midfielders are mostly left footed individuals with Brown and Maloney the exceptions

mmm.........Darren Fletcher

Spike Mandela
01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Total Hibs forward line. We even tried to sign Naismith:wink:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
01-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd go for this lineup...

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)
Darren Barr (Falkirk)
Christophe Berra (Wolves)
Alan Hutton (Spurs)

Scott Brown (Celtic)
Darren Fletcher (Man United)
Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Steven Fletcher (Burnley)
Garry O’Connor (Birmingham)
Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

Hibee_Rab
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
That's right. I think ultimately, if Burley picks Riordan to start in the team, he'll get game time.

IF he starts he will get game time? Thanks for pointing that out.:wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
01-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Total Hibs forward line. We even tried to sign Naismith:wink:

that would have been horrible:bitchy:

iwasthere1972
01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;2194352]This always amuses me (ok, I'm easily amused :greengrin). It could be that iwasthere1972 is 6' 6" of course and in which case 'wee man' is an accurate description :wink:

Did a check on the Hibs site to check out the height. Deeks is 5' 11"" and I'm erm..............................5' 11". :greengrin

NYHibby
01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
7 Hibees or ex-Hibees.

2 ex-Jambos

Could it be an all Hibees forward line?.

Bring it on! :thumbsup:

Who's the seventh? I'm only counting six.

EDIT: Never mind, kept missing Thompson

Speedy
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd go for this lineup...

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)
Darren Barr (Falkirk)
Christophe Berra (Wolves)
Alan Hutton (Spurs)

Scott Brown (Celtic)
Darren Fletcher (Man United)
Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Steven Fletcher (Burnley)
Garry O’Connor (Birmingham)
Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

4-3-3?!! Yogi Out! :grr:

Judas Iscariot
01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm happy for Derek but doesn't change my opinion on the whole Scotland sham..

Still no spot for Murray?

Some joey smeltic English phud picked before him :grr:

James.
01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Selecting Danny Fox over Lee Wallace has wound the yams up something chronic on keechback! Well done Burley :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Selecting Danny Fox over Lee Wallace has wound the yams up something chronic on keechback! Well done Burley :thumbsup:

To be fair, they do have a valid point though :jamboak:

Speedway
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
4-3-3?!! Yogi Out! :grr:

Ultimately I think, that if Burley goes with a 4-3-3, he'll have fewer players in midfield than if he played a 4-4-2

hibeeleicester
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Ultimately I think, that if Burley goes with a 4-3-3, he'll have fewer players in midfield than if he played a 4-4-2

How did you figure that one out?

Speedway
01-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Well because 4 is more than 3.

Westie1875
01-10-2009, 08:34 PM

They're also hating the fact that Deek is in the squad, apparently;

"He's a decent finisher but he's been absolutely honking this season." :ostrich::jamboclow

Aye ok, 5 goals in 7 games is honking right enough, probably more goals than ANY of their strikers will score in the whole season. :lolyam:

HibbyAndy
01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
They're also hating the fact that Deek is in the squad, apparently;

"He's a decent finisher but he's been absolutely honking this season." :ostrich::jamboclow

Aye ok, 5 goals in 7 games is honking right enough, probably more goals than ANY of their strikers will score in the whole season. :lolyam:

Riordan is in the Scotland sqaud cause he deserves to be!.. they have a cheek saying he's 'honking' this season, like you say, im 99 percent confident Riordan will score more goals this season than Hearts entire strikeforce this season, a bet 2 Jambos at work refuse to accept.

They tramps over the road KNOW he's a player allright, it was only not so long ago they were creaming themselves at the thought they were gonna land Deek in one of the windows before James Riordan ( what happened to him by the way?) came on and confirmed that deek would 'rather cut of his left leg with a rusty saw than sign for that shight'

Any Jambo that tells you Riordan is pish is nonsense, every single one of those smelly bassas would take Deek in there team

FACT.

matty_f
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

:LOL:

Riordan is in the Scotland sqaud cause he deserves to be!.. they have a cheek saying he's 'honking' this season, like you say, im 99 percent confident Riordan will score more goals this season than Hearts entire strikeforce this season, a bet 2 Jambos at work refuse to accept.

They tramps over the road KNOW he's a player allright, it was only not so long ago they were creaming themselves at the thought they were gonna land Deek in one of the windows before James Riordan ( what happened to him by the way?) came on and confirmed that deek would 'rather cut of his left leg with a rusty saw than sign for that shight'

Any Jambo that tells you Riordan is pish is nonsense, every single one of those smelly bassas would take Deek in there team

FACT.

:top marks Anyone who would rather have Pittenweem and Nade ahead of Stokes and Riordan doesn't deserve to watch football.

Steve20
02-10-2009, 09:10 AM

:faf: That made me laugh out loud at work.

erskine-hibby
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Just no pleasing some people.
Derek could easily have stayed at septic, taking the cash, sitting on the bench and he could still be in the wilderness. On the other hand we brought him back, he's scoring goals, he's improved the rest of his game, plus! he's in the Scotland squad. If that is not a master stroke I don't know what is :confused:

hibs1875aye
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Just no pleasing some people.
Derek could easily have stayed at septic, taking the cash, sitting on the bench and he could still be in the wilderness. On the other hand we brought him back, he's scoring goals, he's improved the rest of his game, plus! he's in the Scotland squad. If that is not a master stroke I don't know what is :confused:

..correct mate.

Now just wait on the anti-Scotland brigade coming along, telling us all how insignificant it all is, waste of time, Scotland are *****, Tartan Army are a disgrace etc etc. We'll get it til the games' over then we'll here how they are all so relieved its all over and it means nowt to them yet they all LOVE a good moan and bitch about the national team.

In the real world, this IS good for Hibs. Its also good for Deek and if he gets some experience internationally, tis good for him and his value too though I do hope we dont cash in on that for quite some time! But all in all, its good and he himself said this - he was delighted to have player of the month, scoring goals and getting a Scotland call up so it means something to him at least.

NICE ONE DEEK!!!! :thumbsup: