PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices

Monts
28-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Watching the very entertaining program on inside easter road (links on another thread) i noticed that they showed a ticket for the derby game at the PBS. It was £18...and our end was full.

10 years later and the price of tickets has gone up more than 50%, and not just for the derby games.

This is one of the main causes of the lack of atmosphere in most grounds in Scotland imo.

By the time people have bought their tickets (if they can afford it in the first place) then the spare cash to spend on some prematch beverages is cut down.

People start not enjoying the games as much as there is little atmosphere, and they go to less games to save on money. It then becomes a vicious circle.

But how can the clubs counter this? Would lowering ticket prices help? I think it would but it would struggle to bring enough extra people to counter the loss from the drop in price.

So what would you suggest the clubs do? How do they get the punters back, and an atmosphere going?

How much would be a fair price for tickets?

Thoughts?

Franck is God
28-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I will continue to pay what is asked because I am a stupid fan but.....

I personally think any more than £20 for an SPL match is robbery on the clubs part and I include Hibs in that. Surely £20 accross the board at least gives an illusion of value, at that point you might get a few more bodies through the turnstiles and the increased money taken at the refectories & club shop will cover the difference.

I also think that the cost of a kids ticket should be low, not free but definitely low, they are the future of the club and they need to introduced as early as possible (so they can suffer as long as us!)

Lucius Apuleius
28-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Lower ticket prices=lower wages=lower standard of players. I personally think they are about right for 90 minutes live entertainment.

BigKev
28-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Personally I think kids tickets should only a couple of £ for games against the smaller teams - perhaps make the South Stand a solitary option at maybe £5 or £2 if accompanied by a paying adult.

Something could also be done to help the unemployed along to the games. On production of a benefit letter and another form of i.d (passport or driving licence to stop the chancers :wink:) they should also get reduced entry - maybe a tenner or so.

Students and OAP's already get a fairly decent discount.

I'm sure a few years ago Hibs offered free tickets to some schools - they should look into doing this again - especially schools within spitting distance of Easter Road.

Big Frank
28-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Watching the very entertaining program on inside easter road (links on another thread) i noticed that they showed a ticket for the derby game at the PBS. It was £18...and our end was full.

10 years later and the price of tickets has gone up more than 50%, and not just for the derby games.

This is one of the main causes of the lack of atmosphere in most grounds in Scotland imo.

By the time people have bought their tickets (if they can afford it in the first place) then the spare cash to spend on some prematch beverages is cut down.

People start not enjoying the games as much as there is little atmosphere, and they go to less games to save on money. It then becomes a vicious circle.

But how can the clubs counter this? Would lowering ticket prices help? I think it would but it would struggle to bring enough extra people to counter the loss from the drop in price.

So what would you suggest the clubs do? How do they get the punters back, and an atmosphere going?

Thoughts?

As well as the price arguement, there is the boredom aspect. To be able to play someone six times a season (before any cup replays is farcical). This must be reduced, and the only way I can see is for once home and away in the league rather than twice. IMO there is more chance of people going to "the only" derby at ER in that season.

The four times a season benefits no-one bar the Glesga pair.

Increase the league and reduce the amount of leagues in Scotland.

A bit more parity from the SFA would be a help also.

I won't mention to bring back the terrace.:wink:

duncs
28-09-2009, 03:37 PM
If you were to go with the Taylor Report, which alongside recommending all-seater stadium also called for the curtailing of ticket prices, which currently with inflation would stand at £15 a ticket. This is entirely reasonable I think, still slightly more expensive than games in Europe but not an off-putting amount I would argue.

Football is at this moment at saturation point and I would imagine that any ticket increases in the near-future would be disasterous. Also, if you paid a lot to go see a game of football you may feel a lot more entitled to complain and expect more - if you pay £28 or whatever to watch the derby and it's a borefest you are likely to feel more aggrieved than if you paid a tenner or £15.

Despite the fact that the SPL already has a TV deal, it is nothing short of humilitating when games are shown at the likes of Rugby Park, Pittodrie, Fir Park et al and the home support is full of empty seats - if I was someone sitting at home I would think, 'if there own supporters can't be bothered to turn up why should I as a neutral even bother to watch this'.

It's not a simply subject, but I applaud Partick Thistle's initative where under 16s can get in free if they are wearing a PTFC item - scarf, strip whatever. Even Hearts must be congratulated for their £19 season ticket for juniors.

As a final point as to why it's so important that ticket prices remain low and kids are encouraged to go to football it's from Jim White in the Telegraph responding to why Alex Ferguson couldn't understand why the atmosphere at Old Trafford wasn't what it used to be:

In 1968 the average age of fans standing in the Stretford End was 17. The cost of admission for under-16s was eight shillings (40p). Forty years on, the average age of fans sitting in the Stretford End is over 40. And the ticket price is £33 (£16.50 for under-16s, which is more than three times the relative cost of the 1967 entrance fee, allowing for inflation). The social revolution that has engulfed English football over the past four decades has resulted in the game turning middle aged. Watching a match is no longer something young people do, they can't afford to. As a consequence, football has changed from the sporting equivalent of a rock concert to a night at the theatre.

jakedance
28-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Massively discounted season tickets for children is a must. They're the future and the club should be investing in them. Practically the whole of Leith Academy (and others) should be piling into Easter Road, particularly for category B matches. This should be done as part of a wider effort to increase the clubs involvement in the community. The famous five stand should be used for after school clubs, youth clubs etc.

I doubt the club has anything really to gain from discounting adult tickets, I doubt price alone would bring people back.

If you want more supporters, more revenue and better atmosphere the only way, for me, is to bring back standing areas. It'll happen one day, when the bubble bursts for the English Premiership no doubt and they have to start appealing to the working classes again to fill their grounds, and coffers.

Joe Baker II
28-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Massively discounted season tickets for children is a must. They're the future and the club should be investing in them. Practically the whole of Leith Academy (and others) should be piling into Easter Road, particularly for category B matches. This should be done as part of a wider effort to increase the clubs involvement in the community. The famous five stand should be used for after school clubs, youth clubs etc.

I doubt the club has anything really to gain from discounting adult tickets, I doubt price alone would bring people back.

If you want more supporters, more revenue and better atmosphere the only way, for me, is to bring back standing areas. It'll happen one day, when the bubble bursts for the English Premiership no doubt and they have to start appealing to the working classes again to fill their grounds, and coffers.

excellent post, would prefer not to wait until English Premiership bubble goes though (great day as it will be when it happens.). Think problem is chairmen like Petrie would prefer fewer fans through gates but more gross income, but in longer term this attitude is self-defeating (but they either cannot see this or can see it and do not care)

WindyMiller
28-09-2009, 06:02 PM
If you were to go with the Taylor Report, which alongside recommending all-seater stadium also called for the curtailing of ticket prices, which currently with inflation would stand at £15 a ticket. This is entirely reasonable I think, still slightly more expensive than games in Europe but not an off-putting amount I would argue.

Football is at this moment at saturation point and I would imagine that any ticket increases in the near-future would be disasterous. Also, if you paid a lot to go see a game of football you may feel a lot more entitled to complain and expect more - if you pay £28 or whatever to watch the derby and it's a borefest you are likely to feel more aggrieved than if you paid a tenner or £15.

Despite the fact that the SPL already has a TV deal, it is nothing short of humilitating when games are shown at the likes of Rugby Park, Pittodrie, Fir Park et al and the home support is full of empty seats - if I was someone sitting at home I would think, 'if there own supporters can't be bothered to turn up why should I as a neutral even bother to watch this'.

It's not a simply subject, but I applaud Partick Thistle's initative where under 16s can get in free if they are wearing a PTFC item - scarf, strip whatever. Even Hearts must be congratulated for their £19 season ticket for juniors.

As a final point as to why it's so important that ticket prices remain low and kids are encouraged to go to football it's from Jim White in the Telegraph responding to why Alex Ferguson couldn't understand why the atmosphere at Old Trafford wasn't what it used to be:

In 1968 the average age of fans standing in the Stretford End was 17. The cost of admission for under-16s was eight shillings (40p). Forty years on, the average age of fans sitting in the Stretford End is over 40. And the ticket price is £33 (£16.50 for under-16s, which is more than three times the relative cost of the 1967 entrance fee, allowing for inflation). The social revolution that has engulfed English football over the past four decades has resulted in the game turning middle aged. Watching a match is no longer something young people do, they can't afford to. As a consequence, football has changed from the sporting equivalent of a rock concert to a night at the theatre.

Very good post.

The clubs need to look at the prices they charge for kids, but especially the under 20's. Most of these folk don't earn enough to be able to follow the team and are no better off than students. This age group is to be encouraged if the clubs are to survive in the future. I've noticed that the people that go to the away games (the quiet majority) are the same ones that followed the Tornadoes!

WestEndHibee
28-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Thoughts?

I just payed £11 for my tynie ticket! I was very impressed with the prices. Although that was at student price.

MB62
29-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I know ticket prices up here are a big bone of contention but I was amazed to hear that, in the recent Birmingham derby, visiting Aston Villa fans were charged £49 per ticket for their end, and they SOLD OUT :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
kind of puts our moans in perspective a bit.

jakki
29-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Personally I think kids tickets should only a couple of £ for games against the smaller teams - perhaps make the South Stand a solitary option at maybe £5 or £2 if accompanied by a paying adult.

Something could also be done to help the unemployed along to the games. On production of a benefit letter and another form of i.d (passport or driving licence to stop the chancers :wink:) they should also get reduced entry - maybe a tenner or so.

Students and OAP's already get a fairly decent discount.I'm sure a few years ago Hibs offered free tickets to some schools - they should look into doing this again - especially schools within spitting distance of Easter Road.

I am an oap and get no discount because I am female. They should rename this concession as 65 and overs.:grr:

bobbyhibs1983
29-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I am an oap and get no discount because I am female. They should rename this concession as 65 and overs.:grr:

I dont know what being a female has to do with getting a discount?
had a look on the hibs site and it does state that oap's st's as 65 and overs, but if thats your point that fair enough i think oap's prices should maybe start at the age of 60 prehaps?

TheBall'sRound
29-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I know ticket prices up here are a big bone of contention but I was amazed to hear that, in the recent Birmingham derby, visiting Aston Villa fans were charged £49 per ticket for their end, and they SOLD OUT :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
kind of puts our moans in perspective a bit.

I was actually talking to a Blues fan about this yesterday - apparently Villa only charge the standard ticket price (£30) for the return match. You can only imagine the gasps of indignation if something similar happened in Edinburgh!

In answer to the original question, I think a lot of the problems lie with football being a victim of it's own success. There is so much live football on the television at a variety of different times that the alternatives to sitting (or even standing) in a howling gale watching Hamilton kick lumps out of us are more and more attractive.

Get rid of Saturday football on Sky/ESPN - home gates will go up. Simples.

Now if someone can come up with £40m we'd need to pay to Sky/ESPN to compensate them for the loss of 2 matches a week we'd be sorted :greengrin

Keith_M
29-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Massively discounted season tickets for children is a must. .

To Be Fair, Hibs have had very good Kids ST prices for quite a few years now.

I'd imagine, though, it must be a shock when they get to working age and find out it's suddenly four times the price.

I think the answer is that when the Yogi revolution kicks in, they'll have to rebuild the main terrace to it's original size and, with 20,000 extra fans every week, will be able to reduce the overrall prices...... Oops, sorry, I came over all Yammish for a minute there :wink:

jakki
29-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I dont know what being a female has to do with getting a discount?
had a look on the hibs site and it does state that oap's st's as 65 and overs, but if thats your point that fair enough i think oap's prices should maybe start at the age of 60 prehaps? I did not phrase that right. What I meant to say that most posters talk about OAP tickets when that is incorrect.

Until a few seasons ago, Hibs OAP concession was for 60 and over for females and 65 and over for males. I think that they should have moved the goal posts for equality to 60 and over for both sexes as there are many men that have to take early retirement and cannot afford paying full price.

My dad had to take early retirement at 60 and couldn't afford to go to matches anymore.:grr:

Antifa Hibs
29-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think the prices are the main problem. Under Mowbray we were taking increased allocations at Ibrox and Celtic Park, it was the same prices and we were shifting them no bother. Football only becomes expensive in this country when it gets dis-interesting which in turn is when we are getting beat.

I think its more to do with momotemy (sp?) of the SPL and the amount of fitba on tele.

As much as Edinburgh is a great city to visit and Leith is a great away day, fans coming here for the 10th time in 5 years will get a bit boring. If the league was bigger, say 18 teams and teams were only coming here once a season, crowds would get bigger IMO. Now i'm not saying Hibs -Hamilton would be sellouts but Hibs - Aberdeen, Hibs - Dundee Utd that are deemed run of the mill games, would be come massive games. If the OF & Hertz are only coming here once they'd be instant sellouts, fans these days could give Hearts away a miss as they know they'll catch it again in 8 months time, but if we only played them once it would sellout no-bother as fans know it could be well over a year before we play them away again.

An 18 team league would increase crowds and make the league more interesting IMO. You won't have the momotemy and competition would increase I reckon. Imagine the league as it stands now, our next 4 games were Raith, Dunfi, Partick and Rangers, Ranger's next four games were Celtic, Hearts, Dundee Utd and us, that Rangers game would be massive......

libernian
29-09-2009, 09:48 PM
dont think they'd go up overnight - they need to be brought down and gradually bring fans back. also need booze back at the games. think 18 teams idea is a good point.

pub or overpriced freexing cold sober football??

madabouthibs
29-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I would attend many more games if I could get in with my 2 kids for about £25.
I currently spend about £50 to £60 on the day for me and the kids. I make maybe 7 or 8 games a season, including the Hibs kids games, of which there are 4 this season. :greengrin.
I'd also love to see a better deal for season ticket holders, kids get a good deal on these, why not us long suffering Dads??? :thumbsup:

matty_f
29-09-2009, 09:57 PM
The only way we'd get cheaper prices is if we accepted a lower standard of player, or were able to generate a substantial income from elsewhere to compensate.

Our wages/turnover ratio is close to the maximum recommended. We need the money through the gates to keep us competitive. Dropping the ticket prices (as we have done this season, by rolling back to 07 prices) doesn't have the effect that you might think it would.

It's simple economics. As a result of the TV money invested in England, Scottish clubs have to pay what could be seen as sub-standard players over the odds, in order to keep them in Scotland, rather than heading South.

Gatecrasher
29-09-2009, 11:11 PM
i took one look at the ticket prices for the derby and ibrox and said no chance, its just no worth it, £28!!! thats the price i paid to see the hammers last season with a better quality of football, i know - tv deals are better etc:rolleyes:

its just no worth it for football any more, i think about £20 is my limit ill go to the odd away game but if dont want to be ripped off (or at least feel i have been) ill just watch it on the tv :devil: ill just stick to my ST for now:agree:

dangermouse
30-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I would attend many more games if I could get in with my 2 kids for about £25.
I currently spend about £50 to £60 on the day for me and the kids. I make maybe 7 or 8 games a season, including the Hibs kids games, of which there are 4 this season. :greengrin.
I'd also love to see a better deal for season ticket holders, kids get a good deal on these, why not us long suffering Dads??? :thumbsup:

You do get a better deal if you go to the west lower.

Onceinawhile
30-09-2009, 11:39 AM
The point about Saturday football is very valid IMO.

Would you rather watch a game in the comfort of your own home, a few beers from "the best league in the world" with your mates - total cost, roughly a tenner, or go to Hamilton, watch pretty poor football, not be able to get a drink and its costing you £30+??

Lucius Apuleius
30-09-2009, 12:10 PM
The point about Saturday football is very valid IMO.

Would you rather watch a game in the comfort of your own home, a few beers from "the best league in the world" with your mates - total cost, roughly a tenner, or go to Hamilton, watch pretty poor football, not be able to get a drink and its costing you £30+??

As a Hibs supporter that to me is an absolute no brainer. Barring family commitments there is nowhere I would be rather than the Hibs game....

matty_f
30-09-2009, 12:24 PM
As a Hibs supporter that to me is an absolute no brainer. Barring family commitments there is nowhere I would be rather than the Hibs game....

:agree: Same here.

davemcbain
30-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Backwards argument...Hibs should be piling in to Leith Academy.
My daughter is 7 and 3 of the Chelsea squad - including regular appearances from the first team - do a gym session once a week at her school (and about a dozen other local schools I know).

So, guess what team 99% of the kids support? Suffice to say there are more Hibs supporters than Arsenal in her class, but even I'm getting pressure to let her have a second team.

How many schools do Hibs visit EVERY week?

On another tangent, I've never seen a brochure for Hibs in any hotel in Edinburgh (they cost sod all to print and hotels are all happy to display them). Maybe, make the games a tourist attraction?

Steve-O
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Ticket prices in Scotland are a joke.

25 quid is about $65 over here. I pay $28 to get into A-League games.

Ok, it's not QUITE the same standard, but no danger the SPL is worth more than double that price :no way:

People here think the $28 is too much because rugby matches are even cheaper!

archiebald
01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
To right its a better standard,so you have to pay for it thats why its even more expensive in england.PLUS its all about costs (wages) for all different countrys.:blah::blah::blah::blah: