PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Dunhill Links

Sylar
28-09-2009, 08:54 AM
A cracking tournament each year, the Alfred Dunhill Links gets underway on Wednesday (initial access practice day) and features an array of stars from the golfing/sporting and celebrity world.

The event is played over 3 courses in a pro-am event, with each pairing rotating through Carnoustie Championship, The Old Course at St Andrews and Kingsbarns Golf Club, from Thursday through til Sunday, where the top 60 professionals (and pairings) descend on the Old Course, and play to the conclusion.

Entry to the event is free every day, except the Sunday, where it's £25 entry, or free if you're a student/U16/OAP.

A sample of some of the names you can expect:

Golfers: Els, Montgomerie, Clarke, Harrington, McGinley, McIlroy, Dougherty, Donald, Fisher, Jiminez, Karlsson and Stenson

Amateurs: Samuel L Jackson, Hugh Grant, Ronan Keating, George Lopez, Marcus Allen, Alan Hansen, Sir Ian Botham, Kyle McClachlan, Don Felder...

Can't wait :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
28-09-2009, 03:57 PM
A cracking tournament each year, the Alfred Dunhill Links gets underway on Wednesday (initial access practice day) and features an array of stars from the golfing/sporting and celebrity world.

The event is played over 3 courses in a pro-am event, with each pairing rotating through Carnoustie Championship, The Old Course at St Andrews and Kingsbarns Golf Club, from Thursday through til Sunday, where the top 60 professionals (and pairings) descend on the Old Course, and play to the conclusion.

Entry to the event is free every day, except the Sunday, where it's £25 entry, or free if you're a student/U16/OAP.

A sample of some of the names you can expect:

Golfers: Els, Montgomerie, Clarke, Harrington, McGinley, McIlroy, Dougherty, Donald, Fisher, Jiminez, Karlsson and Stenson

Amateurs: Samuel L Jackson, Hugh Grant, Ronan Keating, George Lopez, Marcus Allen, Alan Hansen, Sir Ian Botham, Kyle McClachlan, Don Felder...

Can't wait :thumbsup:

I much preferred the previous format myself.

Even although admission is free, I can't say it holds much attraction.

I've no real desire to watch so called celebrities hacking it round these great golf courses and the final days play should be exclusively for the professionals imo.

Sylar
28-09-2009, 08:02 PM
To be honest, I don't go to see the celebs. I always chose my course based on which top professionals are there. The celebrities are just an aside, and the only reason I highlighted them in my initial post, is that they can drum up some support from people who wouldn't ordinarily be interested (as a good portion of the monies from the final day go to local charities and youth golf setups in Scotland).

Considering the tournament leads to the Race to Dubai qualification points, I'd say the point about celebs playing on the Sunday is very valid, as surely they must be some element of a distraction.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the top celebs playing some of the best courses in the country, and especially looking forward to watching them playing Carnoustie how it should be played, as opposed to the way I stumble around it on a weekly basis :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
29-09-2009, 11:39 AM
To be honest, I don't go to see the celebs. I always chose my course based on which top professionals are there. The celebrities are just an aside, and the only reason I highlighted them in my initial post, is that they can drum up some support from people who wouldn't ordinarily be interested (as a good portion of the monies from the final day go to local charities and youth golf setups in Scotland).

Considering the tournament leads to the Race to Dubai qualification points, I'd say the point about celebs playing on the Sunday is very valid, as surely they must be some element of a distraction.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the top celebs playing some of the best courses in the country, and especially looking forward to watching them playing Carnoustie how it should be played, as opposed to the way I stumble around it on a weekly basis :thumbsup:

S - When's the draw?

Sylar
29-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Usually around lunchtime on Wednesday on G.

I'm going to head along to Carnoustie tomorrow and see who's all about. :thumbsup:

ArabHibee
29-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Remember bunking off work a few years ago to go to Kingsbarns with my Dad to watch (on a Friday I think) :thumbsup:

Sylar
30-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Draw has been made. Looks like a trip to Kingsbarns on Saturday. Top pro's are all going to Carnoustie on Thursday, St Andrews on Friday and then Kingsbarns.

Might pop along to Carnoustie today for the practice day! :thumbsup:

greenlex
30-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Manuel de los santos. What a truely remarkable human being. ****ing amazing.
3 Handicap Unbelievable. What a guy.

Golden Bear
30-09-2009, 11:46 AM
The draw:-

http://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/images/draw/2009/TheDrawProAlpha.pdf

http://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/images/draw/2009/TheDrawAmateurAlphaList.pdf

Sylar
30-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Manuel de la santos. What a truely remarkable human being. ****ing amazing.
3 Handicap Unbelievable. What a guy.

Are you there (here)? :confused:

greenlex
30-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Are you there (here)? :confused:
No but I would have been had it not been for pressures of work. That will come to you one day. :wink:

IWasThere2016
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Draw has been made. Looks like a trip to Kingsbarns on Saturday. Top pro's are all going to Carnoustie on Thursday, St Andrews on Friday and then Kingsbarns.

Might pop along to Carnoustie today for the practice day! :thumbsup:

I might head to Carnoustie on early Sat am .. few worth seeing

Cruyff
Botham
Charlton
Redgrave
Hansen
Hastings
Warne
Waugh
Wang

Sylar
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Was at Carnoustie today - all of the top pro's were there and the conditions were perfect. The course looked absolutely stunning!

Followed Els for a while, who was at -6 with his dad when he finished. Rory McIlroy handed me his provisional ball after I found his errant tee shot.

All in all, a good day :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I see from the main board that play has been cancelled for today due to the high winds. The final day's play is now scheduled for Monday.