PDA

View Full Version : Smallest crowd on Saturday

Jonnyboy
27-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere but the Motherwell v Hibs game on Saturday drew the smallest attendance in that days SPL matches.

Says a lot more about 'Well than us I reckon :agree:

The_Horde
27-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Thought this was going to be about the height of our midfield. :greengrin

Westie1875
27-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Thought this was going to be about the height of our midfield. :greengrin

Me too, close between Miller & Zemmama but I think the morrocan magician edges it! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
27-09-2009, 10:56 PM
It wasn't a great Hibs support yesterday but the home turnout was pitiful.

You just wonder how the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock survive when they only get about 4,000 home fans every week.

Antifa Hibs
28-09-2009, 10:56 AM
What was the attendence? How many Hibbys?

Looked a no bad Hibs support from where I was sitting...

Sir David Gray
28-09-2009, 11:11 AM

It wasn't a bad Hibs support, I've just seen better at Fir Park, that's all.

Compared with the crowd that went through to Hamilton two weeks ago, it was quite small.

PotsyHibee
28-09-2009, 11:12 AM
It wasn't a great Hibs support yesterday but the home turnout was pitiful.

You just wonder how the likes of Motherwell and Kilmarnock survive when they only get about 4,000 home fans every week.

These teams do actually rely on the Old Firm coming to town to keep them afloat.

jgl07
28-09-2009, 11:13 AM

Aye but the upper tier was shut.

I can recall when Hibs could three quarter fill upper and lower tiers.

Antifa Hibs
28-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Sadly that was when we could easily shift 700 tickets for Rangers and Celtic away, sell out Hearts away no problem and take more than 500 fans to Aberdeen.

It was also when the away support used to sing

:boo hoo:

Hibercelona
28-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Sadly that was when we could easily shift 700 tickets for Rangers and Celtic away, sell out Hearts away no problem and take more than 500 fans to Aberdeen.

It was also when the away support used to sing

:boo hoo:

It was also when ticket prices were below 20 quid.... and pints never cost 3-4 quid. :boo hoo:

iwasthere1972
28-09-2009, 11:37 AM
These teams do actually rely on the Old Firm coming to town to keep them afloat.

Even then, in Killie's case, the attendance is only about 8-10K and therefore still about 10K empty seats. Don't know why they don't cash in and give the old firm 3 stands and have 1 for their own support. :duck:

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Aye but the upper tier was shut.

I can recall when Hibs could three quarter fill upper and lower tiers.

That was a poor a support as I have seen through at 'Well for a while. A lot less than was there for the 1-4 game. The turnout from the home fans was pitiful especially when this Gannon bloke seems to have them on the right road.

Sammy7nil
28-09-2009, 12:18 PM
It was also when ticket prices were below 20 quid.... and pints never cost 3-4 quid. :boo hoo:

Bang right
Clubs have to look at pricing. Who would have thought £3 plus would be come the norm for a pint unless your in a Wetherspoons or a dive. :boo hoo:

poolman
28-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere but the Motherwell v Hibs game on Saturday drew the smallest attendance in that days SPL matches.

Says a lot more about 'Well than us I reckon :agree:

6,164 for the St mirren v Tics game was pretty woeful from the "best fans in the world" :rolleyes:

JackRegan
28-09-2009, 12:44 PM
6,164 for the St mirren v Tics game was pretty woeful from the "best fans in the world" :rolleyes:

Eh, we sold out our alloocation, which was increased from our last visit. All the gaps were in the Saints end. Plus it was live on TV. :wink:

poolman
28-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Eh, we sold out our alloocation, which was increased from our last visit. All the gaps were in the Saints end. Plus it was live on TV. :wink:

Never stopped ye's before infiltrating home support fans :agree:

Hibee87
28-09-2009, 12:59 PM
That was a poor a support as I have seen through at 'Well for a while. A lot less than was there for the 1-4 game. The turnout from the home fans was pitiful especially when this Gannon bloke seems to have them on the right road.

I was at the 1-4 game and the 6-1 game and im positive both times the top tier was shut. from what i could see we filled a fair majority of what was given to us id say 80% or so but then I can only see whats aroundme as apposed to looking at it from the other side of the stand

Broken Gnome
28-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Even then, in Killie's case, the attendance is only about 8-10K and therefore still about 10K empty seats. Don't know why they don't cash in and give the old firm 3 stands and have 1 for their own support. :duck:

The last OF game at Rugby Park on TV I saw was Celtic back in March or April. The away support could easily have been housed in one stand. For all the obvious 'Greatest fans in the world my arse' reaction, it's again the fault of ticket prices. £25+ quid for a game on TV, every other week in Rangers or Celtic's case? Not very practical these days. Fair play to any one that managed even two games out of the Falkirk/Hamilton/Motherwell trio, but that's over £70. Let alone what you'd pay for your family or drinks/food. Near impossible in a lot of cases.

JackRegan
28-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Never stopped ye's before infiltrating home support fans :agree:

While there were some Celtic fans in the Saints end on Saturday, I fail to see how you can blame us for a poor crowd as a result of us not buying up the home end tickets en masse.

JackRegan
28-09-2009, 01:16 PM
The last OF game at Rugby Park on TV I saw was Celtic back in March or April. The away support could easily have been housed in one stand. For all the obvious 'Greatest fans in the world my arse' reaction, it's again the fault of ticket prices. £25+ quid for a game on TV, every other week in Rangers or Celtic's case? Not very practical these days. Fair play to any one that managed even two games out of the Falkirk/Hamilton/Motherwell trio, but that's over £70. Let alone what you'd pay for your family or drinks/food. Near impossible in a lot of cases.

At that very game, the Celtic fans made up banners complaining about the prices.

Every club's fans would be the same, although fair play to der hun on selling our their Rugby Park allocation last week.

Broken Gnome
28-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I imagine Hibs might have taken a few more fans had they swept aside St J on Tuesday night.

I'm not suggesting that here are a large number of such fickle Hibs fans but surely that must have been a factor?

That's part of the point made before; it's still a fair outlay itself to go to Motherwell and all the extras (petrol, drink etc). If you'd been to Hamilton or bought as ticket for the Saints game, it doesn't exactly give you a greater incentive to part with your money. If Hibs are playing well or on the back of an OF or Hearts win they will always have the potential to attract an away support like they did to Livingston in 2005. By and large though the number of those that go to away games will probably flucutate quite markedly for the time being.

Joe Baker II
28-09-2009, 05:09 PM
While there were some Celtic fans in the Saints end on Saturday, I fail to see how you can blame us for a poor crowd as a result of us not buying up the home end tickets en masse.

Think point stands that with lower prices and no live tv, there would have been more Celtic supporters in home ends though (and therefore more sanctimonious moaning from home fans too and irritating campaigns to get them to sell only to people they have record of etc!!) - pricing and live TV is having impact.

If Rangers really sold out their allocation at Killie (thought they had not) think Killie would have had sense to allocate them another stand/part of stand - I have feeling they did not sell out an (admittedly) largish allocation of 8-9000.

Killiehibbie
28-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Not very often the crowd breaks the 10,000 mark at Rugby Park these days. Normally quite a few empty seats behind the goals when weegies are playing there. I think the last celtic game was 7,000 odds.

jgl07
28-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Thta is the limit of Motherwell's support.

Remember when they cut prices and brought in expensive players like John Spencer. It had no impact on crowds and led to Administration.

It was hardly surprising that Motherwell had the lowest crowd of the day. Falkirk have significantly higher support. St Johnstone had a derby against Dundee United while St Mirren hosted Celtic. That leaves Rangers and Hearts.

iwasthere1972
28-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Not very often the crowd breaks the 10,000 mark at Rugby Park these days. Normally quite a few empty seats behind the goals when weegies are playing there. I think the last celtic game was 7,000 odds.

What size of allocation do the OF get?

JackRegan
29-09-2009, 07:52 AM
What size of allocation do the OF get?

7,000 at Rugby Park. Funny thing is, we used to just get 4,500 and Killie would sell out 3/4 of their allocation.

The first time we got both the Moffat and Chadwick stands, was a midweek game in 1998 and it was the biggest all seated attendance at Rugby Park - 18,000, it was a complete sell out.

Football has to realise that it is uncompetitive and for it to get the punters back it needs less TV games, the media to try and actually be positive about the game and not focus on writing nonsense on two clubs.

The clubs also have to reduce prices, as the new all seater stadiums were IMO an excuse to fleece fans. Take our game with rapid Vienna on Thursday, that game should be a stick on sell out, yet projections are a crowd of 53,000, while that is still an excellent figure, it would have sold out had it not been £31 for a ticket.

I think for the long term benefit of the game, clubs should take a hit on the TV money for a few years, as regardless of how Scottish Football is covered on TV it will not compete with the EPL.

wazoo1875
29-09-2009, 08:08 AM

That's it , in a nutshell for me , i would be happy for clubs to reduce ticket prices for away fans or let a kid in for nothing with a paying adult .

I remember going to Motherwell just a few years ago and the big stand was full behind the goals and there were punters in the main stand too . Times have changed dramatically and lots of folk are being priced out of the game .

Keith_M
29-09-2009, 01:58 PM

That's where you're mistaken. We can blame you for practically everything, no matter how illogical it is :wink:

Joe Baker II
29-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Thta is the limit of Motherwell's support.

Remember when they cut prices and brought in expensive players like John Spencer. It had no impact on crowds and led to Administration.

No, Motherwell's crowds increased (significantly at first then fell but stayed at higher level than previously) when they reduced prices, it was the expensive players and the end of Sky contract that were probably the main cause of their administration.

Important that this is clarified as many use this example to justify the stance on admission prices of chairmen like Petrie.