PDA

View Full Version : Costco, 1973 and Yams

One Day Soon
27-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I spent a sizeable will-to-live sapping part of this afternoon getting into, shopping in and then leaving Costco. Why you ask am I telling you this? Well I found a pile of hard bound football books covering various Scottish teams at which point needless to say I looked at the Hibernian book.

Inside is nothing more than various pages of newspaper football reporting so of course I went to January 1973 to find the report on the greatest Edinburgh derby in living memory. The written report by Hugh someone or other is splendid. I have never read a match report quite like it.

To be specific he uses the term 'flair', compares the team to the Brazilian style of play among others and goes on to say that the quality of performance and the style of football makes us one of the best footballing teams. He then takes care to qualify that by stating that he means one of the best football teams in the world. He makes clear it is one of the best footballing displays he has ever seen.

I would imagine that any Yam who witnessed that game and read the subsequent reports must be carrying the scars to this day. Seven without reply on your own turf in a derby must be as bad as it ever can get.

Tsk. Dear, dear. Oh well.

hibbie02
27-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I spent a sizeable will-to-live sapping part of this afternoon getting into, shopping in and then leaving Costco. Why you ask am I telling you this? Well I found a pile of hard bound football books covering various Scottish teams at which point needless to say I looked at the Hibernian book.

Inside is nothing more than various pages of newspaper football reporting so of course I went to January 1973 to find the report on the greatest Edinburgh derby in living memory. The written report by Hugh someone or other is splendid. I have never read a match report quite like it.

To be specific he uses the term 'flair', compares the team to the Brazilian style of play among others and goes on to say that the quality of performance and the style of football makes us one of the best footballing teams. He then takes care to qualify that by stating that he means one of the best football teams in the world. He makes clear it is one of the best footballing displays he has ever seen.

I would imagine that any Yam who witnessed that game and read the subsequent reports must be carrying the scars to this day. Seven without reply on your own turf in a derby must be as bad as it ever can get.

You has to see the looks on their coupons after, just to appreciate just how bad it was for them! I am not one of these "I was there" bozos. I was at my Granny's in Shandon and my Grandad (Yam) and Uncle (Hibbie) came back after the game and I played guess the score! My Grandad was a lovely man but was a wee bit stunned after that one. I don't think he ever went back after that one. I went down to the main road just to gloat! :jamboak:

One Day Soon
27-09-2009, 04:42 PM
That made me snort into my coffee. I feel sorry for how your Grandad must have felt but at the same time a result like that must have been fairly sort of final for a good few of them.

You has to see the looks on their coupons after, just to appreciate just how bad it was for them! I am not one of these "I was there" bozos. I was at my Granny's in Shandon and my Grandad (Yam) and Uncle (Hibbie) came back after the game and I played guess the score! My Grandad was a lovely man but was a wee bit stunned after that one. I don't think he ever went back after that one. I went down to the main road just to gloat! :jamboak:

Keith_M
27-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I am not one of these "I was there" bozos.

Part Timer!!!!

:wink:

Zimmy
27-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Hugh Taylor from the Daily Record wrote that article, every word was true. :thumbsup:

yogi984
27-09-2009, 05:44 PM
The only thing that comes close to the way they felt I suppose is the way I felt on the way back to the bus after the semi. And they week after I avoided all newspapers and tv reports. Guess they woulda done the same.

lapsedhibee
27-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I came away from that game (does that make me a bozo? :confused:) thinking nothing very much except 'that was nice'. It never struck me that the performance was anything special - Hibs played like that week in week out around that time. I don't know the stats for that game but I imagine that we had seven attempts on target, none off target, and the yams had a few attempts on target as well. I actually think the 19:81 game (LC quarter final 2007) was a more dominant, one-sided performance.

EasterRoad4Ever
27-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Still remember the day well.

Me and my pal were at the match (honest :greengrin) and got back to his house at about 5.30. His mum and dad didn't go to matches but had a real soft spot of the Hibs and always asked us the score when we got back from matches. (This was in the days before wall to wall football TV/media.)

When we walked in, they immediately asked "what was the score ?". We tried to con them by looking glum but just couldn't hold out and with huge grins told them "seven - nil". They just smiled and naturally refused to believe us. It was only after we started blurting out every exciting moment ... 5-0 at HT, Jimmy's double, Cropley's cracker, Gordon's header, just Hibs fans left at end.. it all became real again.

In those days, I remember highlights were on TV around 7.30 on a Sat night, and us all sitting down with our dinner to watch it all over again... full of pride :thumbsup:

thebakerboy
27-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Well I was there (at least for most of it). went with my old man and my brother in law but had trouble getting the auld yin oot the pub arrived 20 mins before KO at Gorgie Rd gates. There was no movement in Q and several loud cheers and eventually about 20 mins or so after KO heard we were 3 up and Jambos were leaving Mcleod St end so we trotted round and got in in time to see goal 4 and 5 before half time. After game Auld Yin pissed ( half bottle in pocket!!) had to more or less carry him to Jambo uncles hoose in Blackwood Cres . On arrival said uncle sitting with dish towel over head refusing to speak.What a day and what a night we had GREATEST FOOTBALL DAY OF MY LIFE. But winning cup against anyone would be even better. Yogi are you watching??:thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I came away from that game (does that make me a bozo? :confused:) thinking nothing very much except 'that was nice'. It never struck me that the performance was anything special - Hibs played like that week in week out around that time. I don't know the stats for that game but I imagine that we had seven attempts on target, none off target, and the yams had a few attempts on target as well. I actually think the 19:81 game (LC quarter final 2007) was a more dominant, one-sided performance.

I think that is a very good point, Hibs were absolutely on fire at the time. They were scoring goals for fun, add in the fact that a trip to Tynecastle was not something anyone even considered worrying about, and the result wasn't a real eyebrow raiser.

I wasn't at the game, I was 11 and had no-one that would take me. Looking back at the performance, I can see where Hugh Taylor was coming from, but that was pretty much the Tornados - they did it all the time.

One Day Soon
27-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Shucks, I'm just back from the usual family Sunday get together and I discover that my thread appears to have caused a 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' type outbreak of ward hysteria over on Brokebank.:embarrass

I would have imagined that what with that game being such a small and unimportant derby the fact that the Big Team conceded seven goals, at home, for absolutely no reply, on New Year's Day, against a team described by the journalist reporting it as playing in a style worthy of Brazil with pace, accuracy, invention and flair would have been like water off a duck's back to these noble and superior establishment types.

But no. All over Edinburgh, nay Scotland, very nearly half a million latent Yamosexuals are taking to their keyboards to express their splenetic irritation in the form of a 'pretty stiff letter' or whatever it is that middle ranking financial services managerial types do.

Yellow cardigans are being rent asunder, Rovers are being driven outwith the manufacturers recommended rev levels for maximum fuel economy and the scheduled monthly marital conjugal duty is 'being given serious reconsideration' as their total lack of reaction to the figures zero and seven manifests itself in a manner both visible and risible.

All I did was observe the glowing terms in which the reporter felt moved to describe the Hibernian performance and note that the whole episode must have been a little difficult - then and now - for any Yam who witnessed it and the subsequent reports. It's a harsh truth that you guys were put to the sword 0 to 7 and that the far more brutal and painful reality is that the style in which you were routed was even more total than the actual result. Get over it.

Oh, you can't, can you?

PS "said uncle sitting with dish towel over head refusing to speak" - now THAT really is comedy gold.

Well I was there (at least for most of it). went with my old man and my brother in law but had trouble getting the auld yin oot the pub arrived 20 mins before KO at Gorgie Rd gates. There was no movement in Q and several loud cheers and eventually about 20 mins or so after KO heard we were 3 up and Jambos were leaving Mcleod St end so we trotted round and got in in time to see goal 4 and 5 before half time. After game Auld Yin pissed ( half bottle in pocket!!) had to more or less carry him to Jambo uncles hoose in Blackwood Cres . On arrival said uncle sitting with dish towel over head refusing to speak.What a day and what a night we had GREATEST FOOTBALL DAY OF MY LIFE. But winning cup against anyone would be even better. Yogi are you watching??:thumbsup:

surreyhibbie
27-09-2009, 10:40 PM

I agree, felt at the time it was a good result, but expected it all time. How many games around that time did we score 5 or 6 goals? seems like we could score for fun and were afraid of no-one. Hibs, of course, let us down at regular intervals, but the football was the best I have ever seen.

I was unfortunately too young to drink, but took great delight watching the highlights on TV at my Uncle's that night, having refused to tell the family gathered there the score. It was brilliant! :thumbsup:

RIP
28-09-2009, 08:40 AM
At the time there was an advert on the telly. It concerned a young football team who had been on the end of a real thrashing. Mum's wee boy was the goalie that day. After the match he was hiding under his bed and the mum came in to tempt the laddie out.

In a broad Lancashire? accent she uttered the immortal words "Will you come out for a Cadbury's Cookie?"

In the Evenings News following the NYD game master cartoonist Gilzean had Kenny Garland under his bed wi his maw waving yes....you've guessed it......a Cadbury's Cookie!!

Meanwhile we Hibbies who were there lived the next week in a dreamlike state

hibbie02
28-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree, felt at the time it was a good result, but expected it all time. How many games around that time did we score 5 or 6 goals? seems like we could score for fun and were afraid of no-one. Hibs, of course, let us down at regular intervals, but the football was the best I have ever seen.

I was unfortunately too young to drink, but took great delight watching the highlights on TV at my Uncle's that night, having refused to tell the family gathered there the score. It was brilliant! :thumbsup:

It was an era of tremendous footy, and as you say Hibs (even then) had the ability to bring you down to earth with a bump (Like certain Cup Finals against Celtic). But in those days we were equally likely to beat Celtic too (Certain other Cup finals against Celtic).

I think the thing that sticks in most people's minds is that because it was New Year, families were coming together and you got the chance to gloat immediately. I am sure there are many on here like me that don't come from 15 generations of Hibs Supporters but have family of the Yam persuasion. It was ideal to wind up the Family Yams that you didnae see that often. That was when bragging rights were just that and there wasn't the vitriolic atmosphere you get nowadays particularly on Brokeback. :jamboak:

Edit: Mr Surrey. You are invited to Quinn's for the Jambo game in November.

brog
28-09-2009, 10:18 AM

You're right that we scored for fun at that time, we had scored 8 against Ayr a month earlier but I think it's stretching it to doubt that the performance was anything special. I would imagine we actually had in excess of 20 shots at goal that day. In particular I remember an almighty scramble in the first half where several shots were blocked, Jim O sclaffing one past the post after Edwards lobbed a free kick over the wall also in 1st half & Garland making a superb save from an Alan Gordon chip in the 2nd half. There's no doubt we took foot off gas in 2nd half & hit on break, 6th goal was perfect example but it was a magnificent performance.
PS, anorak time, I think we scored 5 goals in a half at least 5 times that season, vs Dun Utd & Airdrie, both away in LC, versus Ayr & Yams in league & versus Sporting Lisbon in Europe, possibly also against Besa in Europe.
PPS My yam memory is of us heading to mate's house in Shandon post game, singing Hibs songs & passing an old guy sitting on the ground. He looked up as we passed & said, tell me was that really 7-0 today. We said yes & he asked us to direct him to the canal!! We picked him up & gave him a drink from the little we had left in our bottles!
what a wonderful day!

TornadoHibby
28-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Dave Clunie, who played FB for the Yams that day, used to be a neighbour of mine and he didn't like me (or anyone for that matter) talking about that game or introducing him to other people as a "former Hearts defender who played in the fabulous 1973 Edinburgh Derby match"! :wink:

Wonder why? :cool2: :greengrin

hibbie02
28-09-2009, 10:28 AM
PPS My yam memory is of us heading to mate's house in Shandon post game, singing Hibs songs & passing an old guy sitting on the ground. He looked up as we passed & said, tell me was that really 7-0 today. We said yes & he asked us to direct him to the canal!! We picked him up & gave him a drink from the little we had left in our bottles!
what a wonderful day!

Oh so it was you making all that noise then. That was probably my Grandad (see earlier post). :greengrin

Exiled Hibby
28-09-2009, 10:30 AM
It was a fantastic performance - even for a team that were producing great performances almost every week!!

My abiding memory of it (apart from 7 obvious memories) was that Hearts actually started the game reasonably well. In the first 5 mins I remember a couple of 20 yarders (I think from wee Donald Park) just going wide, and their fans acting as if they were going to hammer us.

As soon as we scored the first we just steamrollered them.

What a day!!!:thumbsup:

brog
28-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh so it was you making all that noise then. That was probably my Grandad (see earlier post). :greengrin

Was he dripping wet when he came back? :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
28-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Someone mentioned the family get together. We were in a houseful of 'mixed' company and in those days you could take drink into the grounds, I was 16, and my brother 19, and when he got home there was a woman wearing a green sleeveless dress with a white top underneath, brother goes up shakes her hand and says, "I don't know who you are, but I love the outfit" and she was from the darkside!!!! :greengrin

One Day Soon
28-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Its a pity really that this thread isn't merged with the FAO Craigieboy one since one is the genesis and the other is the nemesis. I haven't been over to Brokebank to see where they are now but it is always a pleasure to get EXACTLY the right reaction to prove how much they hurt over the magnificent seven. And I note that PH's exemplary guide to the state of their club, their team and their support goes unanswered in any meaningful way.

Monkeys with typewriters would make more sense, Gretna fans have more vision and the Trotter trading company has more stable finances.

I'm thinking of adding 7 permanently to my signature. :tee hee:

One Day Soon
28-09-2009, 08:15 PM
We have a yam on the thread! Welcome modsquad.

O'Rourke3
29-09-2009, 07:10 AM
My abiding memory is my brother in law who didn't get to the game in time and only got to the ground at half time - finding out they were 5-0 down, promptly left without seeing a ball kicked.

I had a big bet on with another sister's fiance for 50p. Being 12 this was a lot of pocket money. The look on his face when he finally threw the winnings at me was also priceless.

And I've only just realised how poor my sisters choices of partners actually were. :faf: