PDA

View Full Version : Right Back problem solved

shamo9
26-09-2009, 04:26 PM
David Wotherspoon.

Do you think he can be molded into the attacking fullback Hughes craves (Whittaker says hello)? He certainly has the physical attributes considering he's still a teenager, and looks to be pretty composed on the ball. He's fearless in regards to expressing himself on a football pitch and could probably nick a few from long range like he almost did against Celtic.

I think he's capable:agree:

EasterRoad4Ever
26-09-2009, 05:06 PM
David Wotherspoon.

Do you think he can be molded into the attacking fullback Hughes craves (Whittaker says hello)? He certainly has the physical attributes considering he's still a teenager, and looks to be pretty composed on the ball. He's fearless in regards to expressing himself on a football pitch and could probably nick a few from long range like he almost did against Celtic.

:agree: IMHO Wotherspoon is better than Witty was at his age, and looks like the perfect attacking fullback who can actually tackle as well. The only thing that would stop that is Hughes might think he's just too good for RB.

euro Hibby
26-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I believe Steven Gerard started out as a right back so you might expect this to be part of his education and when the time is right he will move further forward again.

erskine-hibby
26-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I think he would be wasted at RB.

Borders Hibby
26-09-2009, 05:37 PM
david wotherspoon.

Do you think he can be molded into the attacking fullback hughes craves (whittaker says hello)? He certainly has the physical attributes considering he's still a teenager, and looks to be pretty composed on the ball. He's fearless in regards to expressing himself on a football pitch and could probably nick a few from long range like he almost did against celtic.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basehibby
26-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I think Wotherspoon's got the attributes to strengthen what has become a bit of a weakspot at RB.
McCormack has been tried there and although he's not been a disaster he always somehow still looks like a centrehalf. McCann looked promising there before but given that he's only just back after major injury problems he's almost an unknown quantity - hopefully he makes good his recovery and goes on to put real pressure on that position over the course of this season.
Wotherspoon is the man of the moment though and is in the first team squad on the merits of his performances this season. He seems to have all the raw ingredients to be a pretty complete midfielder to me - he has pace and agression and is defensively aware but also loves to get forward and can link up play well and ping a cross in. All these attributes are equally desireable in an attacking full back though, which is what Yogi seems to be crying out for.
With recent signings we now have plenty experienced options in midfield and it would be hard to justify including Wotherspoon there every week - RB is a different matter though - we have been struggling there ever since Whitty was flogged to the huns and Wotherspoon could well be the answer.

IWasThere2016
27-09-2009, 05:37 AM
:agree: IMHO Wotherspoon is better than Witty was at his age, and looks like the perfect attacking fullback who can actually tackle as well. The only thing that would stop that is Hughes might think he's just too good for RB.

I haven't seen Spoon at) but I've heard and read enough to stop saying that we need a CH and a RB. It's just the CH we need IMHO as Spoon can be better than Whitty!

Earl of Currie
27-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Would it not be possible to play a back 3 and 2 wing backs.
There is the choice between Hogg , Murray , Bamba and McCormack for the CH role and 2 wing backs , one of which would be Wetherspoon.

I think it would be a restriction of his attacking ability to hold him back to a defensive role.
Also , the two wing backs could add support to the midfield , if ( or more likely when ) they are overrun by numbers.

Possible line up is

Stack

Hogg Bamba Murray

Wetherspoon Hanlon
McBride

Zemmama Miller

Stokes Riordan

Barney McGrew
27-09-2009, 09:06 AM
It's just the CH we need IMHO as Spoon can be better than Whitty!

:agree:

We do have to remember to expect he's going to have his bad games as well as his good ones as he learns to play the position.

If he can continue to develop like he has, we're going to have some player on our hands in the next couple of years.

J-C
27-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Wotherspoon has the atticking qualities to be a good wing back but is still untried defensively against a good left sided player, McCann is a safe defensive bet at rb but it getting a bit injury prone and can't seem to get a decent run of games going. Remember Whittaker started off as a midfielder like Wotherspoon until Blobby moved him to rb.

Franck is God
27-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Wotherspoon getting a run of games playing as an atacking full back will not restrict his development as a footballer only enhance it.

I saw someone mention Gerard coming through as a right back at Liverpool, Roy Keane played full back at United as well, full back and central midfield is an easily interchangeable position as the qualities needed to be successful in both are very similar.