PDA

View Full Version : It makes me sick! How could it happen?

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I was born and brought up in Gracemount. My local bar for over 25 years was the Captains Cabin and now the Marmion.

Previously and more so today, I have seen many Celtic fans occupying this pub and the local area. When I was a lad drinking there, the split in the pub was about 50-50 maybe a little more jambos but there was little, 2 that I recall, OF fans!! Now I find out that there is a few buses leaving the pub for Parkhead!:grr:

Just what is going on here? traditional Hibs/Hearts supporting areas are now going to Galsgow?? It makes me sick to see this and what I cant understand is the amount of kids being brought up up here to support Celtic!!!:grr:

James Connolly
26-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I was born and brought up in Gracemount. My local bar for over 25 years was the Captains Cabin and now the Marmion.

Previously and more so today, I have seen many Celtic fans occupying this pub and the local area. When I was a lad drinking there, the split in the pub was about 50-50 maybe a little more jambos but there was little, 2 that I recall, OF fans!! Now I find out that there is a few buses leaving the pub for Parkhead!:grr:

Just what is going on here? traditional Hibs/Hearts supporting areas are now going to Galsgow?? It makes me sick to see this and what I cant understand is the amount of kids being brought up up here to support Celtic!!!:grr:

This is mirrored in most pubs in Edinburgh & the Lothians.

My local is 80% Celtc; the vast majority of them being ESPN/Sky fans!!

The boozer up the road is classed as a Rangers pub.

The whole thing is frightening!!:grr:

CalgaryHibs
26-09-2009, 11:21 AM
This is a fact of life , but everytime i'm home i see more and more OF tops aroond Edinburgh.
Most people want to cheer for ae winna and they decide to do this and other clubs suffer from this. Back in the 50's-60's most teams had huge support as yoo may know but time are different and we will never see it again.

Just Jimmy
26-09-2009, 11:22 AM

It's a we want it now society, folk want to be part of something successful, the old firm win. Simples.

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 11:26 AM
All ma bairns are fae Edinburgh and all support the Hibs!

I cant understand parents who allow their kids to go down the OF route?? I'm not criticising, just feel really disappointed in terms of, we live in a great city with a great culture and history of football yet they want to be part of a culture which has a history of sectarianism and nothing really in common with our home!

I work in Glasgow and will admit to enjoying it immensely but for purposes of living there or my safety no thanks!

CalgaryHibs
26-09-2009, 11:26 AM

come to think of it , i've had a pint or two in this pub...........

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 11:28 AM
come to think of it , i've had a pint or two in this pub...........

and...your no much older than me!

drunk in there from 1983 to 2000 regularly not so just now.

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2009, 11:32 AM
It was at Hamilton, where we had a huge support but I was thinking how old everybody looked. I think in about 50 years time nobody will go to football, (inc the Glasgow clubs) they'll buy Celtic/Rangers, or once they stop getting into the CL after next year Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/Man City tops.

Football sold its soul from being a community-based enterprise to an aspirational, entertainment industry, tv-driven success-by-proxy undertaking years ago. We're now reaping the consequences.

I think club football in Scotland will be pretty much within the next few generations.

Hainan Hibs
26-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Any Hibs fan that has a son who doesn't support Hibs has failed as a parent. Simple as that.

AK86
26-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Any Hibs fan that has a son who doesn't support Hibs has failed as a parent. Simple as that.
too right, its your duty as a Hibby to bring your kids up in the faith
Its a form of cruelty! but hey, if I have to go thru it ,so do they:wink:

James Connolly
26-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Maybe a tad harsh?

My boy stays in Dumbarton (Celtic stronghold); and he's proud to be, probably the only Hibs supporter there!:thumbsup:

jakedance
26-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Spot on. I've got a wee nephew approaching 2 years old who'll shortly begin his indocrination. His Dad's a Geordie too so he'll likely have two pish teams. Poor lad.

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Spot on. I've got a wee nephew approaching 2 years old who'll shortly begin his indocrination. His Dad's a Geordie too so he'll likely have two pish teams. Poor lad.

Yep we do have it hard all mines are Newcastle sympathizers also....:boo hoo:

Alfred E Newman
26-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Thats true but it has its down sides as well. If it wasn`t for my son dragging me along at times I would probably have given up the ghost years ago. However, its off to Motherwell we go! :thumbsup:

CalgaryHibs
26-09-2009, 11:58 AM

agree!:greengrin

basehibby
26-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Without being too over the top or reactionary....

SHOOT THE GLORY HUNTING WEE SHEIGHTS! :grr::grr::grr:

persevere1875
26-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe when they bugger of too the EPL 2, they'll all mend their ways, cant see too many buses leaving for a Wed night game in Portsmouth somehow

:bye::bye:

Baader
26-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Much as I dislike seeing Yams top around Edinburgh I at least respect the fact they support their local team and can't be accused of glory hunting.

Old Firm fans in Edinburgh - unless they hail from the West - are just pathetic. I mind at Holyrood (school) virtually everyone from the south side of the city claimed allegiance with Celtic (although the Hibees outnumbered them :thumbsup:) Maist of them the furthest West they got was Shandwick Place. I'll still wager I've been to Parkhead more times than they have.

Noone that knows their fitba takes those wanabee Weedgies seriously though - some people just want to be associated with success. I've noticed an increase in the number of Man City I'm seeing down here recently - and I live just along from the Emirates in North London!

iwasthere1972
26-09-2009, 01:43 PM

They're either late for the Hearts game last week or they are leaving in plenty time for next week. :greengrin

Just a bunch of glory hunting barstewards. No other explanation for it. :grr:

IWasThere2016
26-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Personally, I don't think Hibs do enough to attract fans (kids especially).

Rather than invest in the East Stand I'd be really tempted to use the funds to subsidise - even free - tickets in the short/medium term to 'hook' fans in, and grow the fan base.

aljo7-0
26-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Personally, I don't think Hibs do enough to attract fans (kids especially).

Rather than invest in the East Stand I'd be really tempted to use the funds to subsidise - even free - tickets in the short/medium term to 'hook' fans in, and grow the fan base.

Not a bad idea. The Hibs Kids who are not season ticket holders get 4 free games this year starting with next Saturday's game against Utd. Season ticket holders get to bring a friend. Great value for the £10 membership and will allow me to risk taking my youngest (she's probably still a bit too young to enjoy it fully) who is quite jealous of big sis getting to the games. Neither of my girls particularly likes football but there is no doubt which team they support and I think getting to the games and feeling part of the Hibee family is a big factor. In fact the wee one aged 3 at nursery when askled to sing a song at the end of the morning (usually the kids will pick Twinkle Twinkle) burst into Glory Glory to the Hibees much to my delight but to the consternsation of her Yam nursery teacher. Brilliant .... who says indoctination is a bad thing.

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 02:20 PM
They also appear not to do much community work particularly in Edinburgh South!

My boys all go to St John Vianney's School in the Inch. I'll give credit to Hearts here because they at least show up and do some work with the kids but hibs? no!

More school and community work needed to convince these youngsters of hibs worth in Edinburgh and the Lothians as a whole.

(((Fergus)))
26-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Bit sexist that, otherwise spot on. Don't forget the cousins either.

Hainan Hibs
26-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Bit sexist that, otherwise spot on. Don't forget the cousins either.

Women shouldn't be at Football anyway.

:devil::duck:

Chuckie
26-09-2009, 03:32 PM

I'd be more concerned about the other issues in this once great pub.

The landlord has lost the pub and it is run by the locals.

He is too afraid to come in to the bar and lets the young bar staff run it, and they don't give a monkeys or are too afraid/inexperienced to lay down the law.

It's a free for all where anything goes and is a total ***** pit.

Far too many pink tops in there for my liking. That smelly old guy with the Jim Royle beard with 'Jesus' on the big of his maroon rag makes me boak.

Bar staff are all Hibees though. :greengrin

(((Fergus)))
26-09-2009, 03:59 PM

He is too afraid to come in to the bar and lets the young bar staff run it, and they don't give a monkeys or are too afraid/inexperienced to lay down the law.

Far too many pink tops in there for my liking. That smelly old guy with the Jim Royle beard with 'Jesus' on the big of his maroon rag makes me boak.

Not enough suits? :cool2:

Chuckie
26-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Not enough suits? :cool2:

Ooo suits you sir!!

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Was in there on Thursday - bar has lost all it's character resembling something like a scene out of Shameless! I'm going to mail the brewery to complain as they have a responsibility to the community considering the amount of money they have taken out of it since inception around 50 years ago.

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Good thread. I was just thinking that I've never seen so many huns wearing tops in my life in Leith :grr:, I even saw a daft (but nervous looking) lassie today in Lochend wi a yam top on :grr:

WTF??

rightwinger
26-09-2009, 04:57 PM
This is a good thread.

I think the earlier posts have pretty much covered the main points.

40/50/60 years ago, with very little tv coverage and minimal radio coverage, you supported a local team or you didn't watch football. The obvious result was a more equal playing field in terms of fanbase and revenue.

Now, with Sky tv and the internet, you can attend little or no games but still watch your team live most weeks. With the cost of going to games these days, the majority aren't going to attend games week in week out if their team's not winning.

It is certainly sad to see people from Edinburgh ditching Hibs and Hearts to support Rangers and Celtic. It's not something unique to Scotland though, people from all across England support Man Utd and those from all across Spain support Real and Barca. As some have suggested, it's the fact that Rangers and Celtic are - for clubs of their supposed stature - both rubbish that's probably the most galling thing.

A lot of us have probably seen Celtic and Rangers play more than many of the OF fans about.

basehibby
26-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Not a bad idea. The Hibs Kids who are not season ticket holders get 4 free games this year starting with next Saturday's game against Utd. Season ticket holders get to bring a friend. Great value for the £10 membership and will allow me to risk taking my youngest (she's probably still a bit too young to enjoy it fully) who is quite jealous of big sis getting to the games. Neither of my girls particularly likes football but there is no doubt which team they support and I think getting to the games and feeling part of the Hibee family is a big factor. In fact the wee one aged 3 at nursery when askled to sing a song at the end of the morning (usually the kids will pick Twinkle Twinkle) burst into Glory Glory to the Hibees much to my delight but to the consternsation of her Yam nursery teacher. Brilliant .... who says indoctination is a bad thing.

:thumbsup::top marks Lovin it!

basehibby
26-09-2009, 05:09 PM
This is a good thread.

I think the earlier posts have pretty much covered the main points.

40/50/60 years ago, with very little tv coverage and minimal radio coverage, you supported a local team or you didn't watch football. The obvious result was a more equal playing field in terms of fanbase and revenue.

Now, with Sky tv and the internet, you can attend little or no games but still watch your team live most weeks. With the cost of going to games these days, the majority aren't going to attend games week in week out if their team's not winning.

It is certainly sad to see people from Edinburgh ditching Hibs and Hearts to support Rangers and Celtic. It's not something unique to Scotland though, people from all across England support Man Utd and those from all across Spain support Real and Barca. As some have suggested, it's the fact that Rangers and Celtic are - for clubs of their supposed stature - both rubbish that's probably the most galling thing.

A lot of us have probably seen Celtic and Rangers play more than many of the OF fans about.

In addition to the OF love in you tend to get in the popular press, it's also quite sickening how kids get bombarded with English football (eg. live on BBC 2 right now - English Championship football) and yet, without satelite telly (which I don't have and don't really want either) they will be totally unable to watch ANY SPL football unless they go to a match - the only terrestial highlights show being almost after MY bedtime - and I'm not a snip off 42!
I think there should be a law made in the Scottish parliament about this - it is about the erosion of Scottish cultural identity when it comes down to it afterall.

heretoday
26-09-2009, 05:34 PM
The rich get richer.

I remember a couple of years ago watching a Hibs/Celtic match on TV in the Centurion, Corstorphine and being ticked off by the barmaid for supporting Hibs too loudly. I could have understood it if the usual sleazy Jambo fatties were in but the place was full of Celtic fans - all locals apparently. I've seen a bus leaving from there to head west on a Saturday too.

Traitors.

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 06:02 PM
In my view, worse than traitors! :grr:

If they want to be part of the glory hunting whores then go live in Glasgow! That'll soon teach em how great our fair city is!

I was speaking with an elderly lady from Glasgow on Thursday. She is the wife of a retired labour mp and we began talking about politics. Me telling her I could never vote for labour again because of - that my opinion - and she started a tirade about snp calling them money waster and the very fact they treat Edinburgh as the "bees knees" is appauling because Edinburgh certainly is not and Glasgow is a much better city. I began to laugh and she didn't know why nor did I enlighten her because this showed me how engrained and bitter these people really are......:bye:

mon the hibees

Chuckie
26-09-2009, 06:04 PM
In addition to the OF love in you tend to get in the popular press, it's also quite sickening how kids get bombarded with English football (eg. live on BBC 2 right now - English Championship football) and yet, without satelite telly (which I don't have and don't really want either) they will be totally unable to watch ANY SPL football unless they go to a match - the only terrestial highlights show being almost after MY bedtime - and I'm not a snip off 42!
I think there should be a law made in the Scottish parliament about this - it is about the erosion of Scottish cultural identity when it comes down to it afterall.

Best thing I have read on here in an age.

:top marks

Brizo
26-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Is it a new thing ? Growing up in the Inch there was always a big Celtc element , mostly armchair , across that tract of suburbia :wink: from Gracemount through Inch and Gilmerton to Niddrie. I agree with Baadar , south Embra schemes unhealthy amount of Celtc "supporters" :grr:

MrSmith
26-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Is it a new thing ? Growing up in the Inch there was always a big Celtc element , mostly armchair , across that tract of suburbia :wink: from Gracemount through Inch and Gilmerton to Niddrie. I agree with Baadar , south Embra schemes unhealthy amount of Celtc "supporters" :grr:

I have noticed this as I've lived in the Inch for 8 years.

Still effing shocking!

erskine-hibby
26-09-2009, 06:37 PM
None of my kids come from Edinburgh, or anywhere near, but all support Hibs.
It is truly sad that sooo many come through from Edinburgh to Glasgow, but as WMMH said it is the way society is now.

Sir David Gray
26-09-2009, 06:38 PM
See all these people who don't support their local team. :bitchy:

It's absolutely shocking. :grr:

Killiehibbie
26-09-2009, 07:35 PM
too right, its your duty as a Hibby to bring your kids up in the faith
Its a form of cruelty! but hey, if I have to go thru it ,so do they:wink:

Does that make me even more cruel sending mines to Rugby park?:rolleyes:

NOLA
26-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Good thread. I was just thinking that I've never seen so many huns wearing tops in my life in Leith :grr:, I even saw a daft (but nervous looking) lassie today in Lochend wi a yam top on :grr:

WTF??

your'e right about huns in Leith:grr: never thought it possible years ago but in the last 2 years defo seen an increase in the top wearers!

IberianHibernian
26-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Interesting thread . A few observations : 1. As someone`s already mentioned , some seem to think it`s unacceptable to support OF but okay to support an English club ( some here seem to care as much about English clubs as Hibs ) . 2. Good point about lack ( or very limited ) effort made by Hibs to get more people along to ER ( without mentioning problems of database to buy tickets ) - schools , youth clubs , colleges and universities , hotels and other tourist points , groups of immigrants , pensioners clubs , etc etc - what is actually done to increase attendances and increase awareness of Hibernian FC ? 3. Many of the OF fans who are being criticised probably rarely or never go to games and one reason for that is pricing . Can Hibs and other SPL clubs really justify present prices ? Accountants will say yes because we`ve spent a lot on a stadium with reduced capacity . Some fans here will say the same because they`re addicted to Hibs ( not meant as a criticism - I`ve paid over the odds many times and will do so again but will new supporters ? ) . 4 . People mention their children supporting Hibernian ( and I`m proud to say mine do albeit from a distance ) but is reality not that many kids don`t live with their fathers and even if they do , they have loads of alternatives to Holy Ground on a Saturday ? Consequence ? Even more reason to promote club more . 5 . Not trying to start a " flag debate " but in this thread it`s been specifically Celtic who have been mentioned . How many of these Celtic fans are ( grand ) sons / daughters of Hibernian supporters who supported Hibs because of club`s history ? If some of them are , I`m not saying that`s a bad thing and I`m not wanting to start a " flag debate " just commenting that it`s not a surprise .

erin go bragh
26-09-2009, 08:08 PM
:top marksEXACTLY !BUT OF OR NO AT LEAST THEY ARE NO FOLLOWING THE FILTH FROM THE PBS

Malthibby
26-09-2009, 08:13 PM
There should be an 'environmental footprint' tax applied to the buses that leave Edinburgh, Dundee etc to go to support Rantic. Glory hunting bassas, who should be supporting their local teams.
Glad I don't live in Alloa, mind.
GG

Nakedmanoncrack
26-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Without being too over the top or reactionary....

SHOOT THE GLORY HUNTING WEE SHEIGHTS! :grr::grr::grr:

I'm sure it could be arranged, considering the fine drinking establishment mentioned...

lucky
27-09-2009, 12:01 AM

That's sexist, surely you meant any Hibs fans that has a child who does not support Hibs has failed as a parent?

Removed
27-09-2009, 12:06 AM
That's sexist, surely you meant any Hibs fans that has a child who does not support Hibs has failed as a parent?

:agree:

And don't get me started on Hibs fans, male or female, that produce offspring with non Hibs fans :bitchy:

SunshineOnLeith
27-09-2009, 12:59 AM

Disagree, they should support their local team.

Hainan Hibs
27-09-2009, 08:11 AM

No, as I stated earlier, women shouldn't be at football. I don't disturb their shopping trips to New Look, so I expect the same respect shown to men at football.

:duck::devil:

matty_f
27-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Well, I woke up this morning to the sound of my son, voice raised in excitement, telling my daughter that he was Chris Hogg, and to watch out because here comes Eddie Turnbull!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: