PDA

View Full Version : Van Persie - I exaggerate falls

Leithenhibby
26-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I think we have all put it on a bit over the years when it comes to getting the Refs attention. whether it is in Leith links or Inverleith park, we have tried to exaggerate the foul(s)

It's nothing new, it's just that the players don't get up when the Refs wave play on. Can't help but feel the game is in free fall at the moment, or I'm I just starting to sound like ma Da...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8276126.stm

jakedance
26-09-2009, 10:17 AM
He's right in a way and thats what makes diving so hard for refs to judge.

If you know a challenge is coming then you anticipate it and lift your feet to avoid getting caught with your studs in the turf. If you have been caught then you might exaggerate it, everyone who has played football will have done that. It's also perfectly legitimate to put yourself in a position where you'll draw a foul.

All the above could be seen as cheating but so could a professional foul which, as far as I'm concerned is taking a booking for the team. That's the beauty and frustration of football, every decision is down to interpretation. The real crimes are players purposefully conning the ref or feigning injury.

The only solution is for the authorities to examine video after the fact and come down hard where its blatant. Like the Mikolounas or Pedersen (for Blackburn) dives we've seen over the last few years (best examples I can think of off hand).

Leithenhibby
26-09-2009, 10:29 AM
He's right in a way and thats what makes diving so hard for refs to judge.

If you know a challenge is coming then you anticipate it and lift your feet to avoid getting caught with your studs in the turf. If you have been caught then you might exaggerate it, everyone who has played football will have done that. It's also perfectly legitimate to put yourself in a position where you'll draw a foul.

All the above could be seen as cheating but so could a professional foul which, as far as I'm concerned is taking a booking for the team. That's the beauty and frustration of football, every decision is down to interpretation. The real crimes are players purposefully conning the ref or feigning injury.

The only solution is for the authorities to examine video after the fact and come down hard where its blatant. Like the Mikolounas or Pedersen (for Blackburn) dives we've seen over the last few years (best examples I can think of off hand).

I think it's safe to say that this is the tip o'the iceberg, but I do take your points. I just find it very off putting watching those phannies making a tool of themselves, aiden mcgeady, chris boyd, and even some of the Hibs players have had a wee shot of this ungentlemanly behaviour, getting a fellow pro sent of in no cricket...and I'm sure it won't be too long before the authorities step in. (me hopes)

TheMentalHibees
26-09-2009, 10:40 AM
[/B]

I think it's safe to say that this is the tip o'the iceberg, but I do take your points. I just find it very off putting watching those phannies making a tool of themselves, aiden mcgeady, chris boyd, and even some of the Hibs players have had a wee shot of this ungentlemanly behaviour, getting a fellow pro sent of in no cricket...and I'm sure it won't be too long before the authorities step in. (me hopes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCn5lfF-Hc

Leithenhibby
26-09-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCn5lfF-Hc

Absolute tool of the highest order :agree: even without this footage! He's a tool :wink:

persevere1875
26-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Absolute tool of the highest order :agree: even without this footage! He's a tool :wink:

:top marks

Franck is God
26-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Although I belive that diving is wrong I do think that unless there is a change in the way games are referee'd then it will be a part of the game.
At the moment there is absolutely no advantage for a striker to stay on his feet under a challenge.

Say for example Stokes is running through on goal and has a goal scoring opportunity, he is challenged by the last defender and it is a foul but Stokes stays on his feet but is unbalanced enough to put him off and the goalie saves his shot and it goes out for a corner, the defender has effectively stopped him scoring and suffers no punishment

If he goes down, we still have an opportunity to score from the free kick and the opposing team is down to ten men so we have the advantage for the remainder of the game.

If you are a proffesional footballer under those circumstances what are you going to do? I know what I'd want him to do. Surely it can't be described as cheating to take advantage of the rules?

heretoday
26-09-2009, 01:48 PM
They're all at it.