PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Conroy Cards Sweep

BEEJ
26-09-2009, 09:19 AM
So how many reds and yellows will Scotland's card-happy whistler flash today?

Future17
26-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I dunno if he's been told to tighten up in his report card because he's gone from the 2nd "most-lenient" in the SPL last season to, like you say, the SPL's most card-happy ref.

He's currently averaging 8.5 cards in total in 4 games so far this season, including an average of one red card per game.

He's refereed Hibs once this season, the 1-3 win at Falkirk, producing 8 yellow cards in the game, 6 of which were for Hibs players, which is the highest number of yellows shown to Hibs players in an SPL match so far this season. The 2nd highest tally is 3.

Info taken from this nifty website:

http://www.splrefs.com/

BEEJ
26-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I dunno if he's been told to tighten up in his report card because he's gone from the 2nd "most-lenient" in the SPL last season to, like you say, the SPL's most card-happy ref.

He's currently averaging 8.5 cards in total in 4 games so far this season, including an average of one red card per game.

He's refereed Hibs once this season, the 1-3 win at Falkirk, producing 8 yellow cards in the game, 6 of which were for Hibs players, which is the highest number of yellows shown to Hibs players in an SPL match so far this season. The 2nd highest tally is 3.

Info taken from this nifty website:

http://www.splrefs.com/
Interesting site! :agree:

If I'd seen that earlier I would have opted for even more cards today. :rolleyes:

Perspective
26-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Was his performance against Kilmarnock so ridiculous?

I'll admit I've only seen the highlights as I was heading through to Easter Road but, for me, you can't argue with either of Mendes' bookings or Pascali's red. Referees are being assessed from the stands in their application of the laws of the game.

If players are not intelligent enough to understand the rules or technically good enough to tackle properly there's not much a ref can do about it. I always think blaming the officials is an easy way out for managers, players etc. If this current scrutiny continues we're going to have a real shortfall in the number of guys willing to referee - it's already hitting the amateur game.

Big Ed
26-09-2009, 10:14 AM
When he referreed us at Falkirk, I thought only Hogg had grounds for complaint and we had 6 booked that day. I'd also like to point out that if Nish is playing, then you can count on at least one.

overdrive
26-09-2009, 10:19 AM

I'll admit I've only seen the highlights as I was heading through to Easter Road but, for me, you can't argue with either of Mendes' bookings or Pascali's red. Referees are being assessed from the stands in their application of the laws of the game.

If players are not intelligent enough to understand the rules or technically good enough to tackle properly there's not much a ref can do about it. I always think blaming the officials is an easy way out for managers, players etc. If this current scrutiny continues we're going to have a real shortfall in the number of guys willing to referee - it's already hitting the amateur game.

Someone on Radio Scotland (can't remember who) made this point after the match whilst the rest of the pundits were slating him. His point was that you couldn't really argue that any of the yellows wasn't a booking.

maturehibby
26-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Might come back to bite me on the bum but he was last seasons ref at tynie when animal ran on to take a dig at Deeks and he jumped in to stop him getting into the player - a bit of bravery in my book .
Also was the ref who allowed Williams of Ayr United to give him a kiss after he scored the equaliser in the cup against KIllie , which showed a sense of humour as some might have booked him so there may be some of the fuddy duddies at SFA telling him to get his Charlie Richmond heid on and not be sensible and use the unwritten rule of "Common sense" .
He was the most improved referee last season and hope the media dont hound him out of the game Rowbottom style as he too was a good referee (possible oxymoron) who was crucified after refereeing the old firm and was vilified and made a joke of by the "Weegie" press afterwards was not the same .

Hibs90
26-09-2009, 11:18 AM
0 reds, more than 6 yellows

Ed De Gramo
26-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Has to be remembered that the game isn't live on the TV meaning he won't be the centre of attention...going by that logic i've went quite low on the cards front :agree:

Tyler Durden
26-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Think you're spot on, the only reason his performance has been highlighted is cos it was a Rangers game. When he booked roughly the same number in the Dundee Utd vs Hearts game the media didnt give a toss. But cos Walter Smith claims Conroy has had a bad day at the office he's under scrutiny. Basically the media take anything an OF manager says as gospel.

On that point Im absolutely sick of hearing them whine about the U21 rule. Mowbray has been the main culprit recently. You have a match day squad of 18 players, is it really so hard to include 2/3 U21s???! If guys can't get into the squad it's cos they're not good enough FFS.

Perspective
26-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Think you're spot on, the only reason his performance has been highlighted is cos it was a Rangers game. When he booked roughly the same number in the Dundee Utd vs Hearts game the media didnt give a toss. But cos Walter Smith claims Conroy has had a bad day at the office he's under scrutiny. Basically the media take anything an OF manager says as gospel.

On that point Im absolutely sick of hearing them whine about the U21 rule. Mowbray has been the main culprit recently. You have a match day squad of 18 players, is it really so hard to include 2/3 U21s???! If guys can't get into the squad it's cos they're not good enough FFS.

Agreed. If clubs don't have young players of a good enough standard to even sit on the bench that is the fault of their youth system.

Also think you're right about Walter Smith. Nothing has been made of Boyd's diving antics from Wednesday night, certainly in comparison to Eduardo, and that's almost certainly due to Smith's influence in Glasgow-based media circles.

therealgavmac
26-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Sorry Mate, but is your avatar a fat Eddie Murphy? :faf:

Tyler Durden
26-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry Mate, but is your avatar a fat Eddie Murphy? :faf:

Unfortunately not. The avatar is none other than blind Butchie, from the greatest TV show of all time, the Wire.

rightwinger
26-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I actually think Conroy is probably the best ref (of an admittedly bad bunch) in the SPL.

We also invariably tend to get a decent result when he refs us so maybe that prejudices my view!

BEEJ
26-09-2009, 08:10 PM

His performance in one match featuring the OF is neither here nor there. It's his average across all SPL matches that determines whether he is the most card-happy or not. And until today he was streets ahead of the other referees on that score.

However, today just three yellows apparently!! :confused: Certainly toned it down a bit. So much so that no-one voted for that option, so no prize-winners this week! :greengrin