PDA

View Full Version : Bruised knee help

Speedy
25-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I was playing football today and took a knock to the knee. Pretty sure it's just bruised but it feels really tight when I walk or try to bend it(more so when I'm been sitting down for a bit).

Anyway...does anyone have any tips to loosen it up a bit?

woody47
25-09-2009, 07:45 PM
As for most knocks get ice on it and see what its like after that.

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I was playing football today and took a knock to the knee. Pretty sure it's just bruised but it feels really tight when I walk or try to bend it(more so when I'm been sitting down for a bit).

Believe or not I've always found cutting up a chilli then going for a pee without washing your hands usually works. :agree:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Not saying that the chilli won't work (?!) but maybe something more conventional would be more suitable?

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/community/edinburghCHPs/SouthEdinburghCHP/physio_SE.asp

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Keep it well rested, but stretch it and move it from time to time to help slowly loosen it up.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this type of problem.

Usually it goes away within 2-3 days, but could last over a week if you forget to occasionally stretch it.

Removed
25-09-2009, 07:54 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foods-That-Fight-Pain-Revolutionary/dp/0553812378

:shhhsh!: Walnuts :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2009, 07:54 PM
The key word is RICE.

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Not saying that the chilli won't work (?!) but maybe something more conventional would be more suitable?

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/community/edinburghCHPs/SouthEdinburghCHP/physio_SE.asp

:greengrin

Forgot to add he maybe wants to go to the doctor instead, hope Deano's not in the toilet just now. :greengrin

Speedy
25-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Forgot to add he maybe wants to go to the doctor instead, hope Deano's not in the toilet just now. :greengrin

It would almost definitely take my mind off it

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:00 PM
It would almost definitely take my mind off it

And the skin.

Irish_Steve
25-09-2009, 08:01 PM
The key word is RICE.

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

Boiled or egg-fried tho?

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Boiled or egg-fried tho?

Definitely egg-fried.

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 08:05 PM
:sick::faint: QUOTE=I'm_cabbaged;2188137]And the skin.[/QUOTE]

(((Fergus)))
25-09-2009, 08:08 PM
If the joint is tightening up that suggests that the body is repairing something. It will tighten the joint so that the repair is not disturbed while in progress. If you want the repair to be as good as possible, then it's best to go along with what the body is already doing, i.e., try not to move the joint much. Since swelling helps to secure the joint during the repair, it is counter-productive to suppress the swelling by using ice. Yes, if you use ice you will have greater freedom of movement in the short term however the repair will not be as good in the long term. Personally, I would promote the swelling (and all the other, restorative vital process) by using alternate hot and cold applications (aka hot and cold baths).

PS: I wouldn't hold the joint up particularly either since the body has to work harder to bring blood to the site. Just rest the leg in the normal seating or lying position.

Irish_Steve
25-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Definitely egg-fried.

Prawn crackers thrown in too??

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Lets see. Rest it, use it, ice on it to take the swelling down, let it swell more, fried rice and chilli. Your call Deano :greengrin

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Lets see. Rest it, use it, ice on it to take the swelling down, let it swell more, fried rice and chilli. Your call Deano :greengrin

Coming on here and asking for advice...

He'd be as well just cutting the thing of. :duck:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Not that it's any of my business Deano, but if it was me, I would have a look at the NHS site. Just my (humble) student nurse opinion likes :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs

:hilarious

Give NHS24 a bell. Hibs.net is full of contradictions.

Speedy

So any advice on how to go about that? :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Big knife, no serrated blade.

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Wee knife with a serrated blade.

andyhibs
25-09-2009, 08:23 PM

petrie, get this sorted:grr::grr::grr:

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Look on Hib-bay for a rip saw, if there isn't any I've got a hacksaw you could borrow but you might pass out half way through it, which might cause a problem. :agree:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 08:29 PM
There's a few 'Bobbit's' on this site I fear :devil:

ArabHibee
25-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Our first aider at work would use one of the following 2 solutions to any kind of injury:

1. Put your head between your legs;
2. Run it under cold water.

Your choice.

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 08:30 PM

This is no more than a knee jerk reaction. :grr:

Sorry that's not funKNEE. :greengrin

ancient hibee
25-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Too many cutting remarks on here.

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Too many cutting remarks on here.

Aye, very sharp aren't you.

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Keep it well rested, but stretch it and move it from time to time to help slowly loosen it up.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this type of problem.

Usually it goes away within 2-3 days, but could last over a week if you forget to occasionally stretch it.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

ancient hibee
25-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Aye, very sharp aren't you.
You saw my post.

jakedance
25-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Man up. Eat some mince and tatties, down a whisky or two then go outside and chop down a tree.

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:35 PM
You saw my post.

Was that the one you were looking for a tennent?

Leithenhibby
25-09-2009, 08:37 PM
The key word is RICE.

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

:agree: Every time.

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Serious hat on now. Are you able to touch your toes without bending your legs?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Is it your right knee? then hit your left knee and it'll take your mind of it.................. :agree:

Rub loads of voltarol on it and gob a few ibuprofren. Then give it a a rub with Jointace gel in the morning.

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 08:44 PM
:faf: :faf: :faf:

I said there was no quick fix...

Cutting it off could take quite a while you know. :greengrin

EskbankHibby
25-09-2009, 08:54 PM
If the joint is tightening up that suggests that the body is repairing something. It will tighten the joint so that the repair is not disturbed while in progress. If you want the repair to be as good as possible, then it's best to go along with what the body is already doing, i.e., try not to move the joint much. Since swelling helps to secure the joint during the repair, it is counter-productive to suppress the swelling by using ice. Yes, if you use ice you will have greater freedom of movement in the short term however the repair will not be as good in the long term. Personally, I would promote the swelling (and all the other, restorative vital process) by using alternate hot and cold applications (aka hot and cold baths).

PS: I wouldn't hold the joint up particularly either since the body has to work harder to bring blood to the site. Just rest the leg in the normal seating or lying position.

No offence mate but i'm a physio and that is just about the worst possible advice to give anyone with an acute soft tissue injury.

For the record OP go with the R I C E approach.

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 08:56 PM
No offence mate but i'm a physio and that is just about the worst possible advice to give anyone with an acute soft tissue injury.

What about the chilli method? :confused:

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I said there was not quick fix...

Cutting it off could take quite a while you know. :greengrin

My laughter was more to do with the fact that your first post was so convincing that I thought you were the resident Hibs.net doctor. :agree:

Second post - Just cut the damn thing off. Not even a suggestion to take a couple of paracetamols or anything to relieve the pain. :greengrin

Hibercelona
25-09-2009, 09:00 PM
My laughter was more to do with the fact that your first post was so convincing that I thought you were the resident Hibs.net doctor. :agree:

Second post - Just cut the damn thing off. Not even a suggestion to take a couple of paracetamols or anything to relieve the pain. :greengrin

Oh sorry....

Cut your leg off.... but be sure to take a couple of paracetamols first.... that will take the pain away. :wink:

Speedy
25-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Man up. Eat some mince and tatties, down a whisky or two then go outside and chop down a tree.

Is that before or after I chop off my leg?

I'm_cabbaged
25-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Is that before or after I chop off my leg?

Think about it, trying to cut down a tree with one leg. :bitchy:

Jones28
25-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Did something to my knee a few weeks ago, bruised it to hell.

Try to stay off it for a couple days, ice etc

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Nice.

I get a pain above the outside of my left knee when running (usually at about 7 or 8k) subsides when I walk but gets worse if I try to run again. It's usually ok when I wear a neoprene support, but thats not a permanent solution.

Saw a podiatrist a month ago who reckons its due to my right leg being shorter than my left and gave me an orthotic for my right shoe. Worked initially but I'm getting the pains again.

Possibly the ITB? you got any stretches that might help?

EskbankHibby
25-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice.

I get a pain above the outside of my left knee when running (usually at about 7 or 8k) subsides when I walk but gets worse if I try to run again. It's usually ok when I wear a neoprene support, but thats not a permanent solution.

Saw a podiatrist a month ago who reckons its due to my right leg being shorter than my left and gave me an orthotic for my right shoe. Worked initially but I'm getting the pains again.

Could be, very common in runners. Decent stretch here:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/images/itb_c_jpg

jakedance
25-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice.

Sorry bud. The leg (either one will do) will have to go.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Could be, very common in runners. Decent stretch here:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/images/itb_c_jpg

Cheers, will give it a go.

Althought that looks like me trying to get out of bed on a Monday morning....... :greengrin

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Think about it, trying to cut down a tree with one leg. :bitchy:

:confused: You can't cut down a tree with a leg. Take my advice - what you need is an axe or a saw. :agree:

jakedance
25-09-2009, 10:45 PM
:confused: You can't cut down a tree with a leg. Take my advice - what you need is an axe or a saw. :agree:

He could use a beaver. You don't need two legs to operate a beaver.

iwasthere1972
25-09-2009, 10:48 PM
He could use a beaver. You don't need two legs to operate a beaver.

Think the part in bold plus the wooden floor boards have been the main cause of his knee injury. :wink:

Golden Bear
26-09-2009, 10:44 AM
The key word is RICE.

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

:agree:

And from personal experience ------ it works.

Another handy tip is to use up any surplus ice cubes by inserting them into a few wee glasses of whisky ----- the anesthetic effect is truly magic.

ChilliEater
26-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Nice.

Could be your running style - if your heel hits the ground first it sends a shock up your leg. Try leaning very slightly forward and landing with the flat of your foot, its much better. Try to imagine (or really try it!) running barefoot - you wouldn't get very far landing heel first before the pain became excruciating.

Not a doctor but gave up road running about 4 years ago because of knee pain. It used to kick in at about 3 miles. Been back on the roads for about a month now and did a pain free 10 miles on Thursday. Feeling very proud of myself :greengrin

TornadoHibby
26-09-2009, 05:24 PM
The key word is RICE.

R est
I ce
C ompression
E levation

Either you are a physio or you have had a similar injury! :wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Could be your running style - if your heel hits the ground first it sends a shock up your leg. Try leaning very slightly forward and landing with the flat of your foot, its much better. Try to imagine (or really try it!) running barefoot - you wouldn't get very far landing heel first before the pain became excruciating.

Not a doctor but gave up road running about 4 years ago because of knee pain. It used to kick in at about 3 miles. Been back on the roads for about a month now and did a pain free 10 miles on Thursday. Feeling very proud of myself :greengrin

Cheers for the advise mate, any help greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Might be something in your theory cos it got better for a while when I got some shock absorbing Noene insoles.

Danderhall Hibs
26-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Either you are a physio or you have had a similar injury! :wink:

Used to play rugby mate - most Sundays I had an ice-pack on somewhere!

Nice to see I was doing the right thing though. :greengrin

TornadoHibby
27-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Used to play rugby mate - most Sundays I had an ice-pack on somewhere!

Nice to see I was doing the right thing though. :greengrin

I've had an operation on my knee (years of Junior and East of Scotland League football followed by Wado Ryu karate (fewer years than football years! :wink:) with Hamish Adam at Meadowbank alongside more years of East League squash) around a year ago so know all about RICE! :wink:

Back playing squash again at last and hoping the knee will bear up for a few more seasons yet! :cool2: :greengrin