PDA

View Full Version : Would you want your wee boy playing for Hibs

sunshine1875
25-09-2009, 10:18 AM
My wee boy is Hibs daft, has been going to Hibs game since he was 6 weeks old, season ticket since the age of three and has probably been to over 70 games now (he has only turned 6) including the odd away game.

His dream (and mine too) is that he will one day be good enough to play for the Hibees.

But hearing the moans at recent games and reading some of the posts on this forum (Hanlon, your p!sh as an example) really makes me wonder whether I should re-focus his dream.

I know in life we need to be strong and take whatever flack comes our way, but if I went to my place of work and was being told (your p!sh, useless and many others that I cannot type) then I am sure I would start to really under-perform.

But when you get positive feedback and encouragement (nice try, son, but you need to watch out for this or that situation) then it is amazing how much more positive you feel and your work levels increase.

Thoughts? In the current atmosphere at Easter Road, would you want your wee boy playing for Hibs.

Allant1981
25-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I was listening to Alan Brazil the other day and he made a good point about footballers, He said they are more than happy to take the plaudits for playing well so should accept it when they get stick for playing crap. I'd love it if my wee boy ends up playing football one day

PaulSmith
25-09-2009, 10:54 AM
My wee boy is Hibs daft, has been going to Hibs game since he was 6 weeks old, season ticket since the age of three and has probably been to over 70 games now (he has only turned 6) including the odd away game.

His dream (and mine too) is that he will one day be good enough to play for the Hibees.

But hearing the moans at recent games and reading some of the posts on this forum (Hanlon, your p!sh as an example) really makes me wonder whether I should re-focus his dream.

I know in life we need to be strong and take whatever flack comes our way, but if I went to my place of work and was being told (your p!sh, useless and many others that I cannot type) then I am sure I would start to really under-perform.

But when you get positive feedback and encouragement (nice try, son, but you need to watch out for this or that situation) then it is amazing how much more positive you feel and your work levels increase.

Thoughts? In the current atmosphere at Easter Road, would you want your wee boy playing for Hibs.

I don't think that some of the poisenous stuff on here about our younger players from the same posters week in and week out reflects the Hibs support or the atmosphere at Easter Road.

Mister P
25-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I believe the desire to play for his boyhood heros will never leave him. Probably a good idea to educate him (when hes old enough and showing the potential) that some people in life dont have the inteligence to support/critique sensibly, and that theres millions of goons out there who all think they know how to play football better than anyone else in the world, even though they're about 25 stone and couldny kick snaw of a dyke ( a wall I mean not a lesbian:greengrin).
If anyone is good enough to play pro, they will recieve that kind of crap in whatever team theyre in, SPL, Premiership etc etc etc, so I wouldnt put him off.
strangely Ive been thinking the same about my wee boy, although hes only 3 but hes got a cracking left peg on him.

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 10:58 AM
You need an incredibly thick skin to make your way as a footballer, so I'd say by the time a player reaches the first team it'd largely be water off a duck's back.

However, don't let it be your only goal and encourage him in whatever interests develop as he gets older (this coming from me who insists my 2 year old dons his Hibs kit twice weekly and does a few training drills in the back garden :greengrin)

Ritchie
25-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I believe the desire to play for his boyhood heros will never leave him. Probably a good idea to educate him (when hes old enough and showing the potential) that some people in life dont have the inteligence to support/critique sensibly, and that theres millions of goons out there who all think they know how to play football better than anyone else in the world, even though they're about 25 stone and couldny kick snaw of a dyke ( a wall I mean not a lesbian:greengrin).
If anyone is good enough to play pro, they will recieve that kind of crap in whatever team theyre in, SPL, Premiership etc etc etc, so I wouldnt put him off.
strangely Ive been thinking the same about my wee boy, although hes only 3 but hes got a cracking left peg on him.

he must have got that from your wife..... :duck::devil:

Mister P
25-09-2009, 11:01 AM
he must have got that from your wife..... :duck::devil:

OI....naw:wink:

actually aye, shes a lefty:agree:

basehibby
25-09-2009, 11:04 AM
There has always been a minority of half-witted cretins with mouths bigger than their brains who think that shouting abuse at OUR players makes them look clever and knowledgeable about the game.
But while these idiots are a pain in the erse, they have always been there as long as I can remember and not just at Hibs, and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. In other words they're what you might call an occupational hazard for professional footballers - meaining that mental strength, focus and attitude are all the more important attributes for any pro to have.

Mister P
25-09-2009, 11:06 AM
There has always been a minority of half-witted cretins with mouths bigger than their brains who think that shouting abuse at OUR players makes them look clever and knowledgeable about the game.
But while these idiots are a pain in the erse, they have always been there as long as I can remember and not just at Hibs, and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. In other words they're what you might call an occupational hazard for professional footballers - meaining that mental strength, focus and attitude are all the more important attributes for any pro to have.

Bravo that man :greengrin

Bristolhibby
25-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Would love my lad to play for Hibs, but living down South, it would be a bizarre twist of fate that he ended up playing for the Cabs.

The only other drawback is that he always picks up and chews the ball I got him rather than impressing his Dad with some deft touches, stinging shots and superlative dribbling skills.

I am prepared to give him a break though as he is only 10 months old.

J

Raymond
25-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Would love my lad to play for Hibs, but living down South, it would be a bizarre twist of fate that he ended up playing for the Cabs.

The only other drawback is that he always picks up and chews the ball I got him rather than impressing his Dad with some deft touches, stinging shots and superlative dribbling skills.

J

Your far too Soft! :greengrin

greenlex
25-09-2009, 04:28 PM

J
You need to stop him watching Nade.

matty_f
25-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I'd love the wee man to play for Hibs. He is just starting to show signs of getting properly into it now. He's a bit behind some of the other boys at his age for football just now, but we changed his class to a smaller one and he's fair coming on now.

He was running about yesterday telling the rest of us which players we were. He was Chris Hogg.:greengrin

Jay
25-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I dont want my boy to be a footballer but if he is then it has to be Hibs :agree:

What I want counts for zip though :boo hoo:

NAE NOOKIE
25-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Would be prepared to bet that young players at any club get the same stick after the honeymoon period of about 2 games is over.

Hope the wee man makes it :thumbsup:

Killiehibbie
25-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Nothing would make me feel prouder. It would be almost as good as having been talented enough yourself.

Mibbes Aye
25-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Without a doubt. Not at the expense of his education though.

Even a relatively limited professional career would give him a certain grounding, a lot of memories and with any luck some financial security. Plus plenty comps for his dad :thumbsup:

That's speaking generally. I can't imagine what it would be like to see him run out at ER playing for the club but it couldn't be anything other than incredible, I'm sure.

Any paws of players post on here? :greengrin

clerriehibs
25-09-2009, 05:59 PM

wait till he's 15 and doing your head in cos he doesn't think anything needs done properly, if at all.

The Harp
25-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Would you want your wee boy playing for Hibs?

Yes, definitely! Only thing is my 'wee boy' will be 33 next Friday, so maybe the chances of it happening now are a bit on the slim side. :wink:
Those scouts have a lot to answer for. :grr::grr::grr:

RIP
25-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Hello :greengrin

I am Cameron, 49 years a Hibee's youngest

I play left back for letham skyblues under 13's[the best team in perthshire:top marks] however I am only 11 years old and I am a massive hibees fan and would love to play for the hibs:thumbsup:

the boys in p7[crieff primary]started a school football team and we had our first football tourney today involving 11 schools. I played defensive midfield but scored 12 goals in total - 4 in 1 game:cool2:

we won the tourney!!!!:greengrin

can I play beside Zemmama 2moro? :tee hee:

jakedance
25-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't think that some of the poisenous stuff on here about our younger players from the same posters week in and week out reflects the Hibs support or the atmosphere at Easter Road.

Exactly, the eejits that will give grief to a young lad just breaking into the first team are the very vocal minority.

Besides, a bit of abuse is a small price to pay for having the best job in the world.

Riordans Boots
25-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I dont want my boy to be a footballer but if he is then it has to be Hibs :agree:

What I want counts for zip though :boo hoo:

Same here J :boo hoo:

Both my 2 have done the footie over the years and have now changed direction on to different things - music and swimming - and I'm not complaining one bit ... as long as they are happy and comfortable with the challenges they make but still support Hibs - I am a happy mummy :agree:

Jay
26-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Same here J :boo hoo:

Both my 2 have done the footie over the years and have now changed direction on to different things - music and swimming - and I'm not complaining one bit ... as long as they are happy and comfortable with the challenges they make but still support Hibs - I am a happy mummy :agree:

Mine still plays football, eats sleeps breathes football.His entire life is football. If not playing or training has a ball in the garden practicing or watches games on the telly or old games on video or DVD. I dont think he wants to be a professional footballer but I just dont ask the question as I am afraid of the answer. He is 12.

steakbake
26-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Never mind my wee boy, I've still not given up that vain thread of hope that I'll get spotted and make a late, but lucrative foray into the world of professional football. I'm pish and couldn't pass 10 yards if I tried, but you know, on a good day, I'm hibs quality. :wink:

basehibby
26-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Hello :greengrin

I am Cameron, 49 years a Hibee's youngest

I play left back for letham skyblues under 13's[the best team in perthshire:top marks] however I am only 11 years old and I am a massive hibees fan and would love to play for the hibs:thumbsup:

the boys in p7[crieff primary]started a school football team and we had our first football tourney today involving 11 schools. I played defensive midfield but scored 12 goals in total - 4 in 1 game:cool2:

we won the tourney!!!!:greengrin

can I play beside Zemmama 2moro? :tee hee:

Deeks - your time is up!

Yogi - give this lad a start!

PS - I take it you can hit the net from 12 yards on occasion??? :wink: