PDA

View Full Version : Lyle and Scott

Jones28
24-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Anybody seen this in the Hibernian news letter?

Lyle and Scott Hibs clothing :thumbsup:

Part of the vintage thing theyre doing

CB_NO3
24-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Everyone has got Lyle and Scott on these days, that and G star jeans, can no one think for themselves these days, gadgy material if I have ever seen it.

Baldy Foghorn
24-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Everyone has got Lyle and Scott on these days, that and G star jeans, can no one think for themselves these days, gadgy material if I have ever seen it.

I don't wear either brand you mention, so factually incorrect......

H18Y GW
24-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Its only gadgy gear on gadgys,shirley.

ArabHibee
24-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Not me. I prefer George at Asda or F&F from Tesco.
Charity shops are good too. :cool2:

CB_NO3
24-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't wear either brand you mention, so factually incorrect......

My mistake, I should have said majority of people, I dont ware it either so that makes two lol.

CB_NO3
24-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Not me. I prefer George at Asda or F&F from Tesco.
Charity shops are good too. :cool2:
More of a Primark man myself.

millarco
24-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Anyone got any pictures? Might be interested if it was something subtle, but most club leisure wear is shocking IMO.

ArabHibee
24-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone got any pictures? Might be interested if it was something subtle, but most club leisure wear is shocking IMO.

George at Asda
http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=174,235&layer=1&resMode=sharp&src=5052102096783&size=174,235&defaultimage=default_listing_George (http://direct.asda.com/george/men-s-clothing/tops/printed-t-shirt/slogan-t-shirt/GEM19326,default,pd.html) http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=174,235&layer=1&resMode=sharp&src=5052102096660&size=174,235&defaultimage=default_listing_George (http://direct.asda.com/george/men-s-clothing/tops/t-shirts/headless-kermit-t-shirt/GEM19321,default,pd.html)

F&F at Tesco
http://www.clothingattesco.com/imgs12/3piece.jpg

This is what you were looking for, wasn't it? :dunno:

Hibernian Verse
24-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Promoting nedwear in a clubshop? Shirley not. We need to get some Abercrombie stuff in :greengrin

heretoday
24-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Brutus jeans......that's where it's at.

JE89
24-09-2009, 10:10 PM

:agree:

Pretty much every third person in a nightclub is wearing what you've described.

Supraninja
24-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ew.. chav clothes

Gatecrasher
24-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Lyle & Scott stuff is no bad, its not chavy its smart casual clothes, ok its popular at the moment but theres nothing wrong with that.

Hibernian Verse
24-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Lyle & Scott stuff is no bad, its not chavy its smart casual clothes, ok its popular at the moment but theres nothing wrong with that.

:jamboak:

ArabHibee
24-09-2009, 10:19 PM

No being funny but my Dad wears Lyle & Scott jumpers coz he is a golfer. Comparing the quality of some of his jumpers (which will be a fair few years old), with the L&S jumpers being sold in the "designer" shops just now is staggering. As he would say, "You could spit peas through them", the new ones are so thin.

AllyF
24-09-2009, 10:21 PM
T'is a shame when a smart brand becomes infested by neds. Fred Perry polos went the same way but I think they're gradually clawing their way back.

Still think the new 'HFC' fashion range will be a profitable move by Hibs, though. It'll never beat the Romanov Revolution brand, though. :cool2:

Gatecrasher
24-09-2009, 10:22 PM
No being funny but my Dad wears Lyle & Scott jumpers coz he is a golfer. Comparing the quality of some of his jumpers (which will be a fair few years old), with the L&S jumpers being sold in the "designer" shops just now is staggering. As he would say, "You could spit peas through them", the new ones are so thin.

thats ok for me, i dont want to wear a wooly jumper when im out on the lash, a t shirt and v neck top does nicely :greengrin

ArabHibee
24-09-2009, 10:23 PM
thats ok for me, i dont want to wear a wolly jumper when im out on the lash, a t shirt and v neck top does nicely :greengrin

Seen plenty wearing the jumpers, mate.

wpj
24-09-2009, 10:23 PM
any linkage? (toolazytogooglesmilie)

fatbloke
24-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Lyle and Scott did jumpers for Club 86 back in Ian Brennan's days - cost £40 they were smart and warm in winter.

Gatecrasher
24-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Seen plenty wearing the jumpers, mate.

that doesnt matter though does it :confused:

all im saying is its not chav wear its just popular the now, its funny how folk are ripping into it for just being popular calling it "chav wear", trends come and go and no doubt what ever the next brand is (iv seen a few luke tops springing up) will be called chave wear as well.

ArabHibee
24-09-2009, 10:31 PM
that doesnt matter though does it :confused:

all im saying is its not chav wear its just popular the now, its funny how folk are ripping into it for just being popular calling it "chav wear", trends come and go and no doubt what ever the next brand is (iv seen a few luke tops springing up) will be called chave wear as well.

I get the feeling that we're both arguing about different things here. I never said it was chav wear, my point was that it has become popular and the quality of the item is not the same as it was in days gone by.

People can wear what they want, it is of no concern to me. I love my Stone Island jackets, if that makes me a chav, so be it.

Gatecrasher
24-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I get the feeling that we're both arguing about different things here. I never said it was chav wear, my point was that it has become popular and the quality of the item is not the same as it was in days gone by.

People can wear what they want, it is of no concern to me. I love my Stone Island jackets, if that makes me a chav, so be it.

i was making a general point because the chav wear seems to be the theme of the thread, but over the years everything seems to be of a poorer quality when you think about it, clothes in general are not made as well as they used to be, probably something to do with mass production and different matirials, although some clothes are made to be like that - football tops for example are lighter than they used to be in the 70's for example because now the are specificly designed to keep you cool.

Big_D
24-09-2009, 10:41 PM
T'is a shame when a smart brand becomes infested by neds. Fred Perry polos went the same way but I think they're gradually clawing their way back.

How are they any different to any other polo shirt (badge aside) ?
To me they all look the same

Baader
24-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Chav wear or not - and L&S is a decent brand that, like Burberry before it, has prob suffered by becoming too 'in' (or arguably affordable) - if the club cash in on the brand's popularity then this can only be good for Hibs.

L&S was cooler when it was uncool and Ronnie Corbett was their biggest customer - tis a bit too common now. For me though, I just wish we were visionary enough to put out something like this...

The Savile Row of football merchandise (http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1789996,00.html)

:greengrin

Spudster
24-09-2009, 11:30 PM
It is currently being worn by alot of chav's nobody can deny that. Just an unfortunate scenario. It's a great brand with great history making simple, clean, affordable clothing thats also pretty good quality. As someone pointed out the neds just jump on something at once. Burberry a few years back, I reckon Fred Perry within the next couple of years and there will be more. At the end of the day it's just an eagle badge which in itself is no more offensive than the Ralph Lauren Polo player, the Lacoste crocodile or the Fred Perry crest. The problem lies with the people wearing it not the clothing itself

As for the quality difference compared to the jumpers in the 80s it's quite simple. The product has to be sourced nowadays and isn't made in Hawick like it was originally. To make the product in Hawick a lambswool V neck would be about £150 to £200 in the shops, trickier things like an argyle cardigan would be £250ish. Also the fact the Hawick factory could never keep up with the production numbers they do nowadays.

When Lyle & Scott Vintage (re) launched about 5 years ago the lambswool jumpers were still made in Hawick but over the last 3 years or so it's become impossible to carry on with UK made product.
FWIW I think the lambswool jumpers are still excellent quality (they are the ones with the code starting MT) as are the polo shirts.

Does anyone have a link to this info or able to cut and paste from the newsletter?

SvenNeil
24-09-2009, 11:46 PM
From today's newsletter:

Hibernian FC's new fashion label hits the Clubstore racks next week as the first HFC Originals lines are unveiled. The Club has listened to supporter feedback and developed a full range of merchandise that focuses on subtle branding based on the original Hibernian badge and iconography as its defining features.

Starting from only £9.99 and covering limited range Famous Five tees and hoodies, through to a unique selection of luxury Lyle & Scott pullovers and polos, HFC Originals is designed to cover all age groups and styles. Watch out for more HFC Originals information and imagery via the Club website soon.

I wonder what our resident fashion meister Dashing Bob S has to add to the fashion debate?

As for me - I'll stick with cheapest clothing money can buy. The OP has expensive tastes that I could never afford...:greengrin

greenlex
25-09-2009, 07:09 AM
So whats a Lyle & Scott V kneck and a Clitoris got in common then? :greengrin

joe breezy
25-09-2009, 07:26 AM
It's funny as for ages Lyle and Scott was a classier version of a Pringle simply because more people had Pringle's (this was 1984 mind).

More recently Lyle and Scott have realised that casuals made it trendy in the 80s so capitalised on the cool factor and reintroduced the jumpers and polo shirts etc.

It all used to be made in Scotland - hopefully at least some of the knitwear still is.

I'd happily wear a Lyle & Scott cashmere jumper. Not with a Hibs badge on it though.

(Just read the email - If the Hibs badge is subtle as they say then a polo shirt could be good, well done Hibs for getting some decent stuff in, although I'd happily pay double for some that is made in Scotland)

Hibee87
25-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Ill Add to this debate, My grandad wears lyle and scott jumpers and is now considered by 'society' thats hes an old man and shouldnt be wearing 'fashion' :faf:

in all honesty i do liek the way the lyle and scott jumpers look but i wouldnt wear one as every **** has then when your out. Its good to look fashionalbe without being a sheep. If you shop in places like topman, river island, exlie, cruise etc etc those shops up and down britain stock the same clothes so everyone has them. Why not get somthing online whcih is stylish yet not worn by everyone?

example i have i a tommy hillfiger v neck (similar to a L&S) never seen anyone with it and its pretty good quality. I think it cost me i nthe region of 80 -90 pound where as a l&S jumper is about what 120 now?

Someone mentioned Luke, I used to like luke stuff was smart casual and not many people had it, now you go out and its everywhere. same with barbour jackets these are creeping in and there bloody boufing if you ask me.

Its shops liek exile and cruise who are dictating the fashion. You could make a pair of jeans and cal lthem say 'One Denim' make a logo somthing simple, OD intwined or somthing no one has ever heard of them yet exile will stock them for 120 quid next thing you knwo all the 'neds' or chavs' as people have been calling them think wowo 120 pound jeans they must be good :rolleyes:

Retro is another laughable one, i seen a hummell top for liek 70 or 80 quid in exile a while ago hummell was the make you wore in school and got bullied for.

I was looking for a cool sergio tachini top a few weeks ago then i seen a poster of the new hooly film 'the firm' Watch this space in the next 6-8 motnh fila and sergio tachini tops will be swarming all over :agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Cat amongst the pigeons here, I reckon the Glenmuir gear the club sold a few years ago was better quality than the L&S. IMHO. :duck:

Mon Dieu4
25-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Ill Add to this debate, My grandad wears lyle and scott jumpers and is now considered by 'society' thats hes an old man and shouldnt be wearing 'fashion' :faf:

in all honesty i do liek the way the lyle and scott jumpers look but i wouldnt wear one as every **** has then when your out. Its good to look fashionalbe without being a sheep. If you shop in places like topman, river island, exlie, cruise etc etc those shops up and down britain stock the same clothes so everyone has them. Why not get somthing online whcih is stylish yet not worn by everyone?

example i have i a tommy hillfiger v neck (similar to a L&S) never seen anyone with it and its pretty good quality. I think it cost me i nthe region of 80 -90 pound where as a l&S jumper is about what 120 now?

Someone mentioned Luke, I used to like luke stuff was smart casual and not many people had it, now you go out and its everywhere. same with barbour jackets these are creeping in and there bloody boufing if you ask me.

Its shops liek exile and cruise who are dictating the fashion. You could make a pair of jeans and cal lthem say 'One Denim' make a logo somthing simple, OD intwined or somthing no one has ever heard of them yet exile will stock them for 120 quid next thing you knwo all the 'neds' or chavs' as people have been calling them think wowo 120 pound jeans they must be good :rolleyes:

Retro is another laughable one, i seen a hummell top for liek 70 or 80 quid in exile a while ago hummell was the make you wore in school and got bullied for.

I was looking for a cool sergio tachini top a few weeks ago then i seen a poster of the new hooly film 'the firm' Watch this space in the next 6-8 motnh fila and sergio tachini tops will be swarming all over :agree:

Jakeball:devil:

Hibee87
25-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Jakeball:devil:

hey pot this is kettle, your black :faf:

Ritchie
25-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Ew.. chav clothes

its funny how when clothes become popular it becomes 'chavvy'.

lyle & scott fwiw is popular amongst golfers.... most clubhouses sell lyle & scott clothing..... chavvy golfing ********s!! :rolleyes:

hibeeleicester
25-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Lyle and scott is not chavvy.

Not here anyway. Not many people with it down here apart from older quite pompous men. :agree:

RIP
25-09-2009, 08:48 AM
So whats a Lyle & Scott V kneck and a Clitoris got in common then? :greengrin

You spend ages looking for it but by the time you find it the excitement has gone?

Mon Dieu4
25-09-2009, 08:48 AM
hey pot this is kettle, your black :faf:

**** off, Id rather wear Tate & Lyle :faf:

Antifa Hibs
25-09-2009, 08:51 AM
OK OK the brand itself isn't chavvy, but the vast majority of people wearing it these days are chavs. Not only are they chavs, but they are also sheep. You'll see groups of 7 16 year old lads all kitted out the same, lyle and scott v neck, those orrible henleys or g-star (Pish) jeans and a crappy pair of plimsolls.

Anyway, the other subtle branded stuff sounds very promising. :thumbsup:

Ritchie
25-09-2009, 08:54 AM
OK OK the brand itself isn't chavvy, but the vast majority of people wearing it these days are chavs. Not only are they chavs, but they are also sheep. You'll see groups of 7 16 year old lads all kitted out the same, lyle and scott v neck, those orrible henleys or g-star (Pish) jeans and a crappy pair of plimsolls.

:yawn:

Antifa Hibs
25-09-2009, 08:57 AM
:yawn:

If yer tired away back to yer bed!

Its the truth. Take a walk around princess street at 2pm today, everyone is wearing it, mostly some chavvy wee fkers.

It's been caught by the chavs. Same as Burberry, Aquascutum, Luke, Adidas Originals etc. It's time to move on, source new clobber :cool2:

Hibee87
25-09-2009, 08:58 AM
**** off, Id rather wear Tate & Lyle :faf:

I always thought you were as thick as syrup :faf:

northseahibby
25-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Lyle and scott is not chavvy.

Not here anyway. Not many people with it down here apart from older quite pompous men. :agree:

Has derek got some lyle and scott gear then :devil:

Ritchie
25-09-2009, 09:05 AM
If yer tired away back to yer bed!

Its the truth. Take a walk around princess street at 2pm today, everyone is wearing it, mostly some chavvy wee fkers.

It's been caught by the chavs. Same as Burberry, Aquascutum, Luke, Adidas Originals etc. It's time to move on, source new clobber :cool2:

i just think its funny how people get stereotyped by what they wear.

youngsters follwing trends has been going on for years & years.... depending on what generation you grew up in im sure you'd have been guilty of it too.

just because it aint your style (whatever that may be) doesn't mean its chavvy!

the_ginger_hibee
25-09-2009, 09:25 AM
This is like people who 'like' out there or quirky bands just to be different. If a top or pair of jeans etc. is smart or you like it then thats what matters no?

If you liked a Lyle & Scott top, for example, would you dismiss it just because a few neds wear cheap knock offs of the same brand? Your taste is your taste. Totally dismissing it because its the 'fashion' is just as bad as buying it because its what everyone else wears.

The big problem is all the schemes get flooded with the cheap knock off's and then it becomes accessible to many who cant afford it.

Promoting nedwear in a clubshop? Shirley not. We need to get some Abercrombie stuff in :greengrin

So we can then say, Promoting snobbystudentwear in a clubshop? Shirley not.:dummytit:

sambajustice
25-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Reckon we should be getting the Prada and Armani gear in the Club Shop, maybe some Hugo Boss as well!! :greengrin

Bristolhibby
25-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Right,

Can they no just put it on the website.

All this teasing us pash.

Who knows, people may buy it if it were on the website.

I am up next weekend for the Arabs game. Recon the range will be in the shop by then?

J

MB62
25-09-2009, 10:18 AM
So, anybody want to post a link to let us see what we are missing?

I have got plenty spare cash that I am looking at ways to get rid off. Maybe a visit to the club shop could be just my answer :fibber:

Sprouleflyer
25-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I really am hoping that L&S do a reversible green and white satin jacket :pray:

Austinho
25-09-2009, 11:23 AM
It all depends where you live...

Lyle & Scott is only considered chavvy in Edinburgh because it's become so popular and accessible there. There's no denying most of the clothes are very smart, the problem is any chav can wonder into Xile and buy one, and most do.

Whereas, very few people have heard of it down here. All the chavs wear Superdry and Henleys, because they are the clothes that are readily available.

Makaveli
25-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Fair few chavs support Hibs as well... should the rest of us stop? :rolleyes:

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 11:37 AM
It all depends where you live...

Lyle & Scott is only considered chavvy in Edinburgh because it's become so popular and accessible there. There's no denying most of the clothes are very smart, the problem is any chav can wonder into Xile and buy one, and most do.

Whereas, very few people have heard of it down here. All the chavs wear Superdry and Henleys, because they are the clothes that are readily available.

Was just thinking the same myself, hardly ever see any L&S here.

Mary Hinge
25-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Lyle and Scott did jumpers for Club 86 back in Ian Brennan's days - cost £40 they were smart and warm in winter.

Yup ...... still got mine :agree:

Although it must have shrunk 'cos it disnae fit anymore :greengrin

Spudster
25-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Was just thinking the same myself, hardly ever see any L&S here.
Really?
Manchester is full of it whenever I'm down. 4 stockists in the city too.

God Petrie
25-09-2009, 11:48 AM
G-Star is the worst. Every jakey who thinks they're trendy is wearing it but it's common as muck.

LancashireHibby
25-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Really?
Manchester is full of it whenever I'm down. 4 stockists in the city too.

Didn't notice much when I was in Manc at the weekend, though I was reasonably lashed at the time.

MrRobot
25-09-2009, 12:30 PM
G-Star is the worst. Every jakey who thinks they're trendy is wearing it but it's common as muck.

I have a G-Star jacket purely cause I liked it, not because it's trendy etc.

Every make that starts getting recognition seems to start being worn by neds. Look at Superdry. Was a very good make, more Cult sold it, more needs started to appear in it. Now they sell it in Bank.

Same with Henleys. I remember it not being that popular, now for some reason it is, and it's mostly *****e.

Not saying they are neddy makes, but neds deffo wear it cause its the 'fashion'.

For the same price as G-Stars, you can get a pair of Diesel jeans which I would much prefer. Same price as one of their minging hoodies, you can get an Etnies hoody for about a tenner cheaper, and IMO are much nicer. :agree:

G-Star is OK as a make, but nearly every ned wears it now. I like the baggyness of the jeans but won't buy another pair cause their so common now.

Good thing with skate clothes is Route One change their stock very often so it's not a nation of sheep wondering about dressed like everybody else.

Spudster
25-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Look at Superdry. Was a very good make, more Cult sold it, more needs started to appear in it. Now they sell it in Bank.

Cult own Superdry

hibbie02
25-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Was it them that had that song "Heart on my Sleeve" out back in the day? :confused: :duck:

Personally I wouldnae wear anything with a Heart oan it, sleeve or otherwise. :jamboak:

lapsedhibee
25-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Was it them that had that song "Heart on my Sleeve" out back in the day?

No, that was Bernard Gallacher. Lyle and Scott started off as Scott Lyle the Edinburgh bakers. They had a tea shop on Princes St which, unlike Jenners and Forsyth, welcomed both neds and chavs.

hibbie02
25-09-2009, 01:17 PM
No, that was Bernard Gallacher. Lyle and Scott started off as Scott Lyle the Edinburgh bakers. They had a tea shop on Princes St which, unlike Jenners and Forsyth, welcomed both neds and chavs.

Ah I remember now, Bernard Gallacher and Jocky Scott had the single and then Bernard went on to form Joy Division and then New Order. Sorted. So who are Tate & Lyle then? Were they golfers?

Hibs90
25-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I wear Lyle & Scott/G-Star etc, does that make me a chav/ned? I buy the clothes because I think they are smart, not because everyone is wearing it or whatever.

Looking forward to the Hibs range. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
25-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I think the resurgence of Lyle and Scott clothing is sad to say the least. I#d have thouht we'd reached the stage where young people feel secure enough in themselves not to have to wear a little eagle on their jersey just to show they are part of the gang.

By the way, I've noticed a little crown appearing on some of the clothes draughtpacks are wearing these days. Is it fashionable, or are these just for the "two stripes"?

Cropley10
25-09-2009, 02:49 PM

I really don't get the crappy plimsolls thing at all. I mean they're the sort of thing you were made to wear in PE at school and got bullied for - bit like Hummell.

But the thing I really, really don't get is G Star jeans. I remember my wee brother having some G Star stuff about 15-20 years ago and it was pretty underground then. I still thought it was lousy. Now a days every man and his dog are wearing GS Raw, and these lame plimsolls. Does nobody think for themselves any more?

Phil D. Rolls
25-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I really don't get the crappy plimsolls thing at all. I mean they're the sort of thing you were made to wear in PE at school and got bullied for - bit like Hummell.

But the thing I really, really don't get is G Star jeans. I remember my wee brother having some G Star stuff about 15-20 years ago and it was pretty underground then. I still thought it was lousy. Now a days every man and his dog are wearing GS Raw, and these lame plimsolls. Does nobody think for themselves any more?

I think the plimsolls make them look gay. Which is ironic, because gay people don't like to dress alike and hang around with other males, er...

Hibernian Verse
25-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Still think the new 'HFC' fashion range will be a profitable move by Hibs, though. It'll never beat the Romanov Revolution brand, though. :cool2:

I brought this up with one of the Craigmount girls who immediately jumped to the defence with 'Ally Farrell has one and it looks nice'.

Betty Boop
25-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the Barbour range is pretty cool, or is that classed as chavvy as well? :greengrin

greenlex
25-09-2009, 04:22 PM
You spend ages looking for it but by the time you find it the excitement has gone?
I like your thinking but I was going along the lines of..........
every **** has one.

AllyF
25-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I brought this up with one of the Craigmount girls who immediately jumped to the defence with 'Ally Farrell has one and it looks nice'.

Hahaha amazing, respect to whichever one it was (who was it?).

FWIW, mine does 'look nice'. :cool2:

Hibernian Verse
25-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Hahaha amazing, respect to whichever one it was (who was it?).

FWIW, mine does 'look nice'. :cool2:

Joanne, she then proceeded to try get me to buy one, but I'll stick with my tidy H&M ones :greengrin

AllyF
25-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Joanne, she then proceeded to try get me to buy one, but I'll stick with my tidy H&M ones :greengrin

At least you'll save money that way. Mine was an impulse buy cos I liked the particular shade of green.

Dashing Bob S
25-09-2009, 07:18 PM
L & S have nosedived irretrievably downmarket i the last few years, and like all other companies who take that route, (Barbour, Burberry etc) the quality of their goods is invariably bound for Shodsville. File under 'lost fashion cause' for the next 15-20 years.

NOLA
25-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I think the Barbour range is pretty cool, or is that classed as chavvy as well? :greengrin

I associate Barbour clothes with those horrible waxy jackets in the late 80's :jamboak:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 07:59 PM
L & S have nosedived irretrievably downmarket i the last few years, and like all other companies who take that route, (Barbour, Burberry etc) the quality of their goods is invariably bound for Shodsville. File under 'lost fashion cause' for the next 15-20 years.

Whilst obviously bowing to your superior knowledge of all things fashion, it's not really the companies fault is it if 'chavs' etc adopt their brand?
What do you suggest, a P60 check before purchase or an IQ test :confused: :wink:

ArabHibee
25-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I wear Lyle & Scott/G-Star etc, does that make me a chav/ned? I buy the clothes because I think they are smart, not because everyone is wearing it or whatever.

Looking forward to the Hibs range. :greengrin

DirtyDeeds
25-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Thought id chip in on this debate. I work in retail and have been for about 6 years, and as a result iv unfortunately had a number of the changing 'looks' under my nose. Where i work, we stock Lyle & Scott. Thankfully we stock the Hertiage range, the lambswool range thats looks more 'golfy' and aimed at the older market. We get crowds of young guys coming in together, and get a right bloody laugh out of it too. We have a 'jakey' scoring system that checklists standard 'bam' looks. Points are awarded for the following:

- Lyle & Scott/All saints knitwear or polo (yellow eagle logo only, not grey)
- G Star jeans/baggy adidas joggies (i believe the young plebs are referring to them as 'cottons' now)
- Crappy plimsoles/velcro trainers
- fake diamond earring
- badly bleached hair (fringe or back only scores extra points)
- badly bleached hair cut into a 'mullet' style
- a tendancy to dramatically increase the volume of the area as soon as they enter, using their squaking/mating calls to communicate. The result being a festival or slurring and drooling with no actual words being spoken

Best times are when a group of them come in, all of them wearing some combination of the above, its equally amusing and sad at how little individuality some people can show. Fully understand other posters who have said they like the brand but arent 'jakeys'. All id say is there are plenty of other things to wear that are of an equally gash quality (which L&S 'young' range is) without having to look like everyone else, and avoiding the stigma that is most certainly being attached to wearers of the range. As has been already mentioned, its being dragged down by the HUGE majority of its clientele being bams and tainting it. Im sure those that own the brand will pick up their quick buck then sell it on when the bubble bursts.

Betty Boop
25-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I associate Barbour clothes with those horrible waxy jackets in the late 80's :jamboak:

I have just bought my 15 year old daughter a Barbour jacket this afternoon, she has been nipping my heid for months to get one. Its definitely not horrible and waxy! :greengrin

DirtyDeeds
25-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Whilst obviously bowing to your superior knowledge of all things fashion, it's not really the companies fault is it if 'chavs' etc adopt their brand?
What do you suggest, a P60 check before purchase or an IQ test :confused: :wink:

It depends on the angle the brand wishes to take. If you want it to perhaps appeal to the 'chav' market, you can offer your range to a number of retailers who attract that kind of crowd. Alternatively, you can just say 'yes' to every retailer who requests to stock you. However, and this is the route I would take if I had any pride in the quality of my product and valued its reputation for said quality, you can carefully handpick who stocks your brand, make it niche without being snobby. The brand I work for are one of the UKs great fashion succes stories as it has built up an enviable reputation for high quality product and service whilst sticking to a strict company policy of steering clear of advertising campaigns and celebrity endorsements. It now has nearly 100 locations around the world including the US and Far East. Profits for the last year were just over £45m. Yet EVERY person on here will know somebody who swears by our product, whether it be shirts, denim or suiting. We just dont shout to the rooftops about it. You CHOOSE the image or persona you wish people to see, brands like L&S have chosen to take the 'casualwear' route and have to deal with the stigma that is now attached to their brand

Davy Mac
25-09-2009, 09:16 PM
The last time I wore a 'Lyle & Scott' sweater was against the Jambos in the early 80's......................I played that golf that morning and just after Stevie Cowan scored a goal that was chalked off I got lifted for foul and abusive language.

Ah well, wearing my grey slipon shoes, white socks, grey stapress trousers and a diamond Lyle & Scott jumoer with a crisp white Glenmuir shirt I paraded around the Tynecastle track handcuffed watching some of my mates in the Hertz end have a right good chuckle at my expense.

Terrible clothes these Lyle & Scott things................:greengrin

AllyF
25-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Thought id chip in on this debate. I work in retail and have been for about 6 years, and as a result iv unfortunately had a number of the changing 'looks' under my nose. Where i work, we stock Lyle & Scott. Thankfully we stock the Hertiage range, the lambswool range thats looks more 'golfy' and aimed at the older market. We get crowds of young guys coming in together, and get a right bloody laugh out of it too. We have a 'jakey' scoring system that checklists standard 'bam' looks. Points are awarded for the following:

- G Star jeans/baggy adidas joggies (i believe the young plebs are referring to them as 'cottons' now)
- fake diamond earring
- a tendancy to dramatically increase the volume of the area as soon as they enter, using their squaking/mating calls to communicate. The result being a festival or slurring and drooling with no actual words being spoken

Best times are when a group of them come in, all of them wearing some combination of the above, its equally amusing and sad at how little individuality some people can show. Fully understand other posters who have said they like the brand but arent 'jakeys'. All id say is there are plenty of other things to wear that are of an equally gash quality (which L&S 'young' range is) without having to look like everyone else, and avoiding the stigma that is most certainly being attached to wearers of the range. As has been already mentioned, its being dragged down by the HUGE majority of its clientele being bams and tainting it. Im sure those that own the brand will pick up their quick buck then sell it on when the bubble bursts.

That's hilarious. Good post.

:thumbsup:

FranckSuzy
25-09-2009, 10:03 PM
It depends on the angle the brand wishes to take. If you want it to perhaps appeal to the 'chav' market, you can offer your range to a number of retailers who attract that kind of crowd. Alternatively, you can just say 'yes' to every retailer who requests to stock you. However, and this is the route I would take if I had any pride in the quality of my product and valued its reputation for said quality, you can carefully handpick who stocks your brand, make it niche without being snobby. The brand I work for are one of the UKs great fashion succes stories as it has built up an enviable reputation for high quality product and service whilst sticking to a strict company policy of steering clear of advertising campaigns and celebrity endorsements. It now has nearly 100 locations around the world including the US and Far East. Profits for the last year were just over £45m. Yet EVERY person on here will know somebody who swears by our product, whether it be shirts, denim or suiting. We just dont shout to the rooftops about it. You CHOOSE the image or persona you wish people to see, brands like L&S have chosen to take the 'casualwear' route and have to deal with the stigma that is now attached to their brand

I totally get where you are coming from DD. However, as someone who remembers the late 80's and early 90's, the problem is that the more 'exclusive' you make the brand, the more demand there is for it. Folk with no class, but plenty ££ will always find the best outlet to get their 'gear'. I don't see how you can limit it? IMHO, some of the said 'chavs' etc were the best dressed people in town, at that period in time. The 'truth' will out :faf:

CB_NO3
25-09-2009, 10:19 PM

- fake diamond earring

Dont even get me started on they grey cotton joggers, they are a joke, and the ultimate chav gear. The thing that annoys me is why does everyone copy each other, every young guy wears those minging cottons.

Cropley10
25-09-2009, 10:29 PM

- fake diamond earring

There's nothing more hilarious than the fake diamond earring. The genuine article would have been worn by Keyring Dyer of Newcastle fame, copied by thousands of sad wanna be/never will be's some as young as about 9.

Two of them - one in each ear is infinitely sadder. IMHO.

Baader
25-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Dont even get me started on they grey cotton joggers, they are a joke, and the ultimate chav gear. The thing that annoys me is why does everyone copy each other, every young guy wears those minging cottons.

'Joggers' are about as bad as it gets. I'd be embarrassed to even wear such hideous attire to bed...

Brizo
26-09-2009, 08:05 AM
On the one hand its dissapointing that the club should go for a brand which to those of us of a certain generation will always be inextricably linked with Hertz one and only only celebrity fan Ronnie Corbett :greengrin. On the other hand if the club are trying to get away from naff bogging leeesurewear which all seems to be bear the letters HFC in five foot high letters then thats a step in the right direction.

Id imagine there would definately be a market for L & S stuff from a lot of young dudes as it seems to be the uniform of the young gadgie element. If it brings extra dosh in from punters who'd never normally visit the club shop thats all good for the club coffers.

I await the Benetton rugby shirt revival and if the club shop start stocking them I might even pay it a visit :greengrin.

Petrie's Tache
26-09-2009, 08:27 AM
On the one hand its dissapointing that the club should go for a brand which to those of us of a certain generation will always be inextricably linked with Hertz one and only only celebrity fan Ronnie Corbett :greengrin. On the other hand if the club are trying to get away from naff bogging leeesurewear which all seems to be bear the letters HFC in five foot high letters then thats a step in the right direction.

Id imagine there would definately be a market for L & S stuff from a lot of young dudes as it seems to be the uniform of the young gadgie element. If it brings extra dosh in from punters who'd never normally visit the club shop thats all good for the club coffers.

I await the Benetton rugby shirt revival and if the club shop start stocking them I might even pay it a visit :greengrin.

Those were the days my friend:wink:

Petrie's Tache
26-09-2009, 08:29 AM
See here

ArabHibee
26-09-2009, 08:31 AM

You work for Primark don't you? :tee hee: :wink:

I'm waiting on Rodeo @ C&A making a comeback. :cool2:

Betty Boop
26-09-2009, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=ArabHibee;2188477]You work for Primark don't you? :tee hee: :wink:

:faf:

Petrie's Tache
26-09-2009, 08:34 AM

****in tell me about it. I buy alot of stuff from here you may find it usefull for your Sergio Tachini stuff. However in a few months time I may need to revise what I wear as it will be everywhere.

http://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/

The nuts for our team.

http://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/polo-shirts/fila-vintage-match-day-polo-shirt-in-kelly-greencreamnavy-2070253-233544-665946.php

tamig
27-09-2009, 08:28 AM
George at Asda
http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=174,235&layer=1&resMode=sharp&src=5052102096783&size=174,235&defaultimage=default_listing_George (http://direct.asda.com/george/men-s-clothing/tops/printed-t-shirt/slogan-t-shirt/GEM19326,default,pd.html) http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda/?layer=0&size=174,235&layer=1&resMode=sharp&src=5052102096660&size=174,235&defaultimage=default_listing_George (http://direct.asda.com/george/men-s-clothing/tops/t-shirts/headless-kermit-t-shirt/GEM19321,default,pd.html)

F&F at Tesco
http://www.clothingattesco.com/imgs12/3piece.jpg

This is what you were looking for, wasn't it? :dunno:

Outstanding! :faf:

lyonhibs
27-09-2009, 08:35 AM
As I have never, ever heard of this brand of clothing, that pretty much confirms that is it a) either in with the chavs or b) proper high fashion as I have naff all idea about either end of the fashion spectrum.

Give me a nice, generic Topman suit any day.........................:devil::greengrin

tamig
27-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Was in the shop yesterday morning getting my boy a new strip and was surprised to see a few racks of the L&S stuff in the shop. I hadn't read this thread then.

The polos look quite good with a (fairly) subtle HFC on the left breast and the eagle motif on the shoulder. That's just one of the designs and there are a couple of variations. The gear looks pretty good though and the stuff I looked at was priced at £40. All in a very nice shade of green :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
27-09-2009, 10:11 AM
It is of my opinion that you can wear what the **** you want.. The younger generation get it tight, just shut up and let people wear what they want to .. Lyle and Scott clothes are smart.. as are cottons, trackies etc :wink:.

Betty Boop
27-09-2009, 10:36 AM
It is of my opinion that you can wear what the **** you want.. The younger generation get it tight, just shut up and let people wear what they want to .. Lyle and Scott clothes are smart.. as are cottons, trackies etc :wink:.

:top marks :agree:

Petrie's Tache
27-09-2009, 10:37 AM

You would say that though!

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2009, 10:44 AM
You work for Primark don't you? :tee hee: :wink:

I'm waiting on Rodeo @ C&A making a comeback. :cool2:

Get yourself over to Holland then, every town has a C&A where you can buy all the Clockhouse, Yessica, Angelo Liptrico and Jinglers gear you want.

Who can argue with that?

CMac1988
27-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Don't look too bad... Doesn't help when the guy modelling them couldn't fill a sandwhich... :rolleyes:

http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/list-63-prodlist-250

Edinburgh Green
27-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Don't look too bad... Doesn't help when the guy modelling them couldn't fill a sandwhich... :rolleyes:

Could they of picked a worse model? hardly the best way to show off the new gear.

LEaston87
27-09-2009, 12:32 PM
i thought they would look much better than that...I dont like the shade of green far too limey and light :bitchy:

Hibs90
27-09-2009, 02:54 PM
i thought they would look much better than that...I dont like the shade of green far too limey and light :bitchy:

the_ginger_hibee
27-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Horrible colours, horrible fit (could be that model though), and why is the HFC and Lyle and Scott logo not swapped round?

Oh well, might be to somebody's taste, and we've had much worse than this on the shelves before, but it's a no from me :wink:

Yours in fashion
Mr C. Ok Wan

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I think the cheap one looks the best one out those 4. Although i think they should have done them in darker green, maybe bottle green, and definitely white?

goosano
27-09-2009, 04:34 PM
55 sheets for a polo shirt-Petrie's having a giraffe

AllyF
27-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Much ado about nothing.

Horrible colours, horrible fit (could be that model though), and why is the HFC and Lyle and Scott logo not swapped round?

Oh well, might be to somebody's taste, and we've had much worse than this on the shelves before, but it's a no from me :wink:

Yours in fashion
Mr C. Ok Wan

Hear hear.

SRHibs
27-09-2009, 04:55 PM
If they had done an emerald green hibs V-Neck I might've bought that, but they Polos look absolutely awful. The colour is absolutely minging, and the quality does not look good at all.
Als doesn't help that tops the model's wearing are about 4 times too big for him.

EDIT: Something like this with the Hibs logo replacing the shabby L&S one would've been 1000 times better IMO. http://www.xileclothing.com/shop/viewpicture.php?file=http://www.xileclothing.com/verylarge/12459425474316IMG_1821.JPG

joe breezy
28-09-2009, 06:25 AM
I think they're alright, will be buying one as I wouldn't wear any other Hibs stuff.

How can anyone comment on the quality from a photo? They have to be better than replica tops at least.

Will probably get the £55 green & white one but I would still prefer they were made in Europe, which they probably aren't. The new Australian polo shirts are £75 which seems to be the going rate for something made in Italy nowadays.

Spudster
28-09-2009, 10:05 AM

I would say that's bollox, no offence intended I just completely disagree with your comment.

L&S Have probably got the best distribution of any brand for that age group. They're worn by neds in G-star and Gio Goi but that's certainly not the product they should be sitting alongside nor have ever tried to sit alongside. They have the best shops up and down the country carrying their stock. I think it's just Edinburgh where it sits alongside ***** like G-star and Gio Goi. That's probably down to Xile becoming ALOT more commercial over the last 3 maybe 4 years.

L&S Could have easily went into USC, Bank, asos, Republic and all the usual suspects but they've stuck with shops like Oi Polloi who are probably the best shop in the UK.

As for "steering clear of advertising campaigns" I've yet to see a L&S advert anywhere, product placement most certainly but I haven't seen any adverts.

Speedway
28-09-2009, 10:57 AM

This is a actually a fairly serious faux pas from Hibs Marketing and very unlike them these days.

This is supposed to be premium brand clothing. At £55 nicker for a polo shirt, it needs to be the ultimate.

As has been pointed out, the shirts would either look massive on Nade or have been modelled by someone on the Karen Carpenter diet.

Either way, they've picked the colour of the most hated boiled sweetie in the world for them and I can only hope that the knitwear appeals.

By the way, is the black sweater that Yogi wears on Hibernian TV, on sale in the Hibs shop? (not the actual one obviously)

Andy74
28-09-2009, 11:01 AM
This is a actually a fairly serious faux pas from Hibs Marketing and very unlike them these days.

This is supposed to be premium brand clothing. At £55 nicker for a polo shirt, it needs to be the ultimate.

As has been pointed out, the shirts would either look massive on Nade or have been modelled by someone on the Karen Carpenter diet.

Either way, they've picked the colour of the most hates boiled sweetie in the world for them and I can only hope that the knitwear appeals.

By the way, is the black sweater that Yogi wears on Hibernian TV, on sale in the Hibs shop? (not the actual one obviously)

Oh dear, was interested to see what they would come up with but fit and colour both look awful.

If the fit is actually better than it looks then they need to get the right size on the right model asap and get those pics changed!!

PaulSmith
28-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Aaarrggh, why do Hibs always seem to muck up a great idea. Keep it simple and sutble.

They might as well have stuck with the LQS stuff for this as this will alienate the guys that just want a Hibs polo shirt (who'll buy the LQS stuff at half the price) and the younger/trendier guys who would wear L&S tops but wouldn't want it to have 'HFC' across the front.

Keep the L&S brand on the front and stick a subtle badge or similar on the sleeve.

I'm hoping the colours and the sizes are also better than what we're seeing in the pictures.

hibs1875aye
28-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I believe the L&S pieces are popular now due to the popularisation (as some would see it) by the 1980's/early 90's casual movement. However, the key difference is, the L&S (and Pringle for that matter) pieces were never aimed at those who bought them. They were aimed at the affluent golfers, probably a different "class" if such crap really exists and thus making them exclusive, desirable and original. Casuals snapped them up, along with Stone Island (real SI), Adidas Gazelles and Sergio Tacchini....and various other desirable brands which weren't in the mainstream or affordable, particularly by a lot of those buying them, thus making them "cool".

Most of this stuff is now popular due to the stuff being worn by the early casuals. That isn't to say L&S or Pringle ever marketted towards those that bought their stuff - they definitely didn't adn still dont. L&S is not a crap brand (though like many modern day brands, is maybe not as good as it used to be) but then thats progress for you. :greengrin

I dont think this is a bad move by Hibs, it will appeal to some and it will sell. However, sticking to what Hibs can market to the most people well (sports tops and such like ) might have been less risky and more profitable in the long run.

Speedway
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Anyone notice that the Tate & Lyle range how now gone missing from the online store?

Keith_M
05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
I find it quite amusing the number of, how to put this, the more mature among us slagging off young guys for their fashion sense.

You don't get it, do you. Young people have the right to dress like total Phannies, in fact it's almost a requirement of being young. You've all probably worn stupid clothes in your Yoof, you're either in denail or are just too old to remember!

The fact that us 'Oldies' think they look like total t*ts is more likely to make them want to dress that way. I mean, if old people think the current fashions are OK, then the young uns are obviously doing it wrong :wink:

Wear your trackies with pride young man!!!

Scotthibs1875
05-10-2009, 04:38 PM
some people wear them cause they are comfortable. Does that mean that EVERY person who wears it is a "chav":blah::blah:
Honestly you people make me laugh!!

NOLA
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I find it quite amusing the number of, how to put this, the more mature among us slagging off young guys for their fashion sense.

You don't get it, do you. Young people have the right to dress like total Phannies, in fact it's almost a requirement of being young. You've all probably worn stupid clothes in your Yoof, you're either in denail or are just too old to remember!

The fact that us 'Oldies' think they look like total t*ts is more likely to make them want to dress that way. I mean, if old people think the current fashions are OK, then the young uns are obviously doing it wrong :wink:

well put across auld yin:agree:

Teo10
05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
For the few on her who know me, I wear alot of what has been mentioned on here for example "cottons". I wear these mostly for lounging about the house or for times when I cant be ****** wearing jeans (Which are Gstar, but dont have GSTAR plastered all over them) anyway these cottons are ridiculously comfy especially for relaxing. Anyway I also have both my ears pierced with a small "fake diamond" stud in them, aswell as often wearing plimsoles...

It annoys me that because some people would class me as one of these ignorant "chavs" because of what I wear, as I said ask people on here who know me if I am one of these "chavs" and after they have jokingly said yes, you'll get the answer no. I chose to wear what I wear mainly for them being comfy and easy to put on etc, the earrings I wear them because, it sounds big headed, but i like the way they look and becuase ive had them for years it wouldnt be the same without them.

Becuase of these is it right some people of the older generation treat me differently dressed in the same range of clothes that these chavs wear even though the designer is completley different, than to a person of their same age?!

I think not.....

Betty Boop
05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
For the few on her who know me, I wear alot of what has been mentioned on here for example "cottons". I wear these mostly for lounging about the house or for times when I cant be ****** wearing jeans (Which are Gstar, but dont have GSTAR plastered all over them) anyway these cottons are ridiculously comfy especially for relaxing. Anyway I also have both my ears pierced with a small "fake diamond" stud in them, aswell as often wearing plimsoles...

It annoys me that because some people would class me as one of these ignorant "chavs" because of what I wear, as I said ask people on here who know me if I am one of these "chavs" and after they have jokingly said yes, you'll get the answer no. I chose to wear what I wear mainly for them being comfy and easy to put on etc, the earrings I wear them because, it sounds big headed, but i like the way they look and becuase ive had them for years it wouldnt be the same without them.

Becuase of these is it right some people of the older generation treat me differently dressed in the same range of clothes that these chavs wear even though the designer is completley different, than to a person of their same age?!

I think not.....

:agree: Too much labelling on this thread!

Phil D. Rolls
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Agreed, but this style is not new or different, it's a cop out, an inability to rebel, that's what grinds my gears!