PDA

View Full Version : jones

boomtownhibby
24-09-2009, 05:12 PM
i hear he is playing terrible. also heard he blames it due to playing in a poor league ( the spl ) and is a bit rusty .

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 05:14 PM
i hear he is playing terrible. also heard he blames it due to playing in a poor league ( the spl ) and is a bit rusty .

playing better now I understand and Scunthorpe are doing quite well.

iwasthere1972
24-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Read on here about a week ago that Scunthorpe fans were singing his praise after a game and that they thought he was Man of the Match. His future looks a bit brighter than it was about a month ago.

They could have done a lot worse and signed that Sol Campbell geezer. :wink:

scunnyhibs
24-09-2009, 06:03 PM
He took a while to settle and was getting boos after first few games, then he showed his commitment by diving into a post and nearly breaking his neck to block a goal attempt! Missed a game (mebbe 2) then came back into the side and was made captain for next two games winning them both. He didn't play in cup on Tuesday but not heard why yet.

Fans have taken to him and he seems more settled now but still good chance of playing in League 1 next year! Not heard of him slagging SPL standard but I know that the fans were very vocal about that. tbh I reckon he was made scapegoat for a poor start to the season cos he was the new boy. The whole team has had to step up a level so it wasn't just him off the pace.

Sounds like they've got him sussed though, speaking to my mate the other night and he says "gets dragged out of position a lot and runs about like a giraffe but good in the air, flicked a corner on for a goal t'other match and it's only a matter of time before he's knocking them in regular"

Not changed much.... wouldn't hold my breath waiting for too many goals tho!

Hibee_Rab
24-09-2009, 06:35 PM
He took a while to settle and was getting boos after first few games, then he showed his commitment by diving into a post and nearly breaking his neck to block a goal attempt! Missed a game (mebbe 2) then came back into the side and was made captain for next two games winning them both. He didn't play in cup on Tuesday but not heard why yet.

Fans have taken to him and he seems more settled now but still good chance of playing in League 1 next year! Not heard of him slagging SPL standard but I know that the fans were very vocal about that. tbh I reckon he was made scapegoat for a poor start to the season cos he was the new boy. The whole team has had to step up a level so it wasn't just him off the pace.

Sounds like they've got him sussed though, speaking to my mate the other night and he says "gets dragged out of position a lot and runs about like a giraffe but good in the air, flicked a corner on for a goal t'other match and it's only a matter of time before he's knocking them in regular"

Not changed much.... wouldn't hold my breath waiting for too many goals tho!

Banged in a fair few for us

alphahibby
24-09-2009, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Hibee_Rab;2186984]Banged in a fair few for us[/QUOTE

14 in three seasons.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe taken a bit of time to find his feet and adapt to the game down there. Nothing wrong with that though. Seems to be coming on to a game now.:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
24-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Not heard of him slagging SPL standard but I know that the fans were very vocal about that.

Do Scunthorpe think they're above SPL standard?

_hucks_
24-09-2009, 08:41 PM

14 in three seasons.

Were 10 of them not all in 1 season though?

alphahibby
24-09-2009, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=alphahibby;2187000]

Were 10 of them not all in 1 season though?

yip first season

sahib
24-09-2009, 09:22 PM

14 in three seasons.

Thats 10 more than A.Stokes managed in his last 60 league games prior to Saturday. Not bad for a CH.

LaMotta
24-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Thats 10 more than A.Stokes managed in his last 60 league games prior to Saturday. Not bad for a CH.

......and one more than Scott Brown managed during his five year spell in the hibs first team.

Spudster
24-09-2009, 11:33 PM
....and more than Kevin Thomson would manage in 8 careers :wink:

flash
25-09-2009, 06:03 AM
[QUOTE=alphahibby;2187000]

Would that be the same Anthony Stokes that has banged in 3 goals in the last 2 games?

Only a Hibs fan would use a thread about an ex player to have a dig at a new signing.

scunnyhibs
25-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Do Scunthorpe think they're above SPL standard?

I think it would be fair to say they were slagging the SPL without really knowing what it's like. They bought a player and were told that he was a good SPL player, he then played fairly poor for them (to start with).
For many of them the only recent experience of SPL players was buying Kenny Milne from Falkirk in summer 2008, he promptly got injured and missed whole of last season so they saw nothing from him, then they bought Jones and he didn't play very well. Therefore with the limited logic of all football fans when it ain't going your way it was easy to say "if Jones is SPL standard, then SPL ain't very good".

Not exactly a considered opinion of our league so I wouldn't let it bother anyone and they're changing their tune now. Comments were all probably just born out of frustration with a) the club's poor start and b) the new recruit's poor form.

Funnily enough in 2003 when Steven McLean was on loan from Rangers and firing in the goals, fans were singing the SPL's praises..... basically just proves fans are fickle!

Personally I don't even think Scunny are Championship standard (yet)!