PDA

View Full Version : Hibs boy (Book)

SouthMoroccoStu
23-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Away from the headache that was last night.......

Saw a copy of the new book doing the rounds in the west stand last night, seems that much reminiscing was taking place, but we won't go into that.

So I went into the Waterstones on Princes St during my lunch break.

Apparently the book launch has been pushed back to late October and the author is now in prison due to its contents (this info is from the assistant in the shop)

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Ha anyone read the book and if so, is it worth a read?

Glory glory

PaulSmith
23-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Saw a copy of the new book doing the rounds in the west stand last night, seems that much reminiscing was taking place, but we won't go into that.

Apparently the book launch has been pushed back to late October and the author is now in prison due to its contents (this info is from the assistant in the shop)

Glory glory

What a load of single fish

Amazon send of my copy yesterday and the author was were he always is when Hibs are playing, i.e. watching them last night

Billie Jo
23-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Aye, on sale Amazon :wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Aye, on sale Amazon :wink:

That good.:wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
23-09-2009, 08:12 PM
What a load of single fish

Amazon send of my copy yesterday and the author was were he always is when Hibs are playing, i.e. watching them last night

:faf:

I would have thought so. But as I said, it came from the shop assistant.

:duck:

Billie Jo
23-09-2009, 08:13 PM
That good.:wink:

Haha, on sale now :wink:

Luna_Asylum
23-09-2009, 08:23 PM
has anyone read a decent book written by a "casual"?
I read a few when they first came out years back and the best one was by a man utd fan
These colours..... was garbage IMHO

I'm_cabbaged
23-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Glory glory

Did AB write it?
If it was he was at the game last night.

Billie Jo
23-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Did AB write it?
If it was he was at the game last night.

Aye.

frazeHFC
23-09-2009, 08:39 PM

I enjoyed that, i thought Hibs Boy had been out for a while??? Obviously when i saw it it must have been for pre-order

Aubenas
23-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Am I getting this right? Messageboarders give publicity to a book by a ned who with his mates shamed Hibernian, while giving the players pelters for letting us down.:bitchy::confused:

Carheenlea
23-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I read a few when they first came out years back and the best one was by a man utd fan

Would that happen to be "Among the thugs"?

One of the few books on the subject that I have really enjoyed. Written by an American who wrote as an observer to start with and then found himself becoming more submerged into the movement over time.

The very first one I can remember was "Bloody Casuals" by an Aberdeen hooligan called Jay Allan, which was an interesting read at the time because it was one of the first (probably THE first) books that dealt with Scottish football casuals. Don`t normally buy these kind of things now as they have been done to death, but got "These colours don`t run" simply because it was Hibs orientated, and my copy of "Hibs Boy" arrived today from Amazon, purchased for the same reason.

A lot of people will have strong views both in condemnation and defence of the casuals, but those of us who went to Hibs games in the late 80`s and early 90`s can`t deny the movement had a significant presence at a large number of fixtures throughout the seasons of those particular years.

As someone who went through that period sporting 2nd hand 1950`s American clothing purchased at "Flipp of Hollywood" on The Bridges and getting his quiff trimmed at Woods barbers round the corner, I would have been shown the door pretty swiftly by the casuals had I attempted to join up :rockin: I bought "Hibs Boy" to maybe get an idea what made these guys tick, and what they got out of it. Answers may well be similar to the other books I`ve read on the subject, but because it is centered around Hibs games, it does give it some extra interest.

Brooster
24-09-2009, 06:54 AM

Glory glory

Borders at Fort Kinnaird have it I understand.

jodjam
24-09-2009, 08:31 AM
The book was being passed round of few of the older "boys" in the West stand on Tuesday night.

RIP
24-09-2009, 08:54 AM
As someone who went through that period sporting 2nd hand 1950`s American clothing purchased at "Flipp of Hollywood" on The Bridges and getting his quiff trimmed at Woods barbers round the corner, I would have been shown the door pretty swiftly by the casuals had I attempted to join up :rockin:

Really?

That was my Saturday routine too. Susan, Norrie, Kenny, Gino and Big Davie are well scattered now. Still see them all from time to time.

My Flip gear passed away many years ago to be replaced with modern 50's retro

As for the quiff - I've got mair hair around my ears, nose and eyebrows than on the top of my heid :boo hoo:

skipster7
24-09-2009, 09:52 AM
The book was being passed round of few of the older "boys" in the West stand on Tuesday night.
its all a wee bit pathetic if you ask me,seen some of these bell ends in the west on saturday about 40 odd year old trying to look a bit shifty and hard .a bit sad.:yawn:

Brooster
24-09-2009, 09:55 AM
its all a wee bit pathetic if you ask me,seen some of these bell ends in the west on saturday about 40 odd year old trying to look a bit shifty and hard .a bit sad.:yawn:

Dont tell us that, why dont you approach them and tell them they are sad, pathetic bell ends............or does calling them names from your keyboard suit you better?

Scouse Hibee
24-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Dont tell us that, why dont you approach them and tell them they are sad, pathetic bell ends............or does calling them names from your keyboard suit you better?

Are you one of them?

skipster7
24-09-2009, 10:07 AM
asumming by your defence, your one of them then, this is a thread on a HIBS messagboard and i find 40 year old men still playing at "casuals" a wee bit sad and pathetic.
are you saying im not allowed an opinion on people who have tainted hibs on a hibs messageboard ?:confused: or as you reccomend going up to a group of guys at football for violence, tapping them on the shoulder and saying how sad i think it all is.
im confused, if you slagg off a player ie: f*** useless ba*** , does someone come on and say "why dont you say it to their face "?

Suburban Hibby
24-09-2009, 10:25 AM
asumming by your defence, your one of them then, this is a thread on a HIBS messagboard and i find 40 year old men still playing at "casuals" a wee bit sad and pathetic.
are you saying im not allowed an opinion on people who have tainted hibs on a hibs messageboard ?:confused: or as you reccomend going up to a group of guys at football for violence, tapping them on the shoulder and saying how sad i think it all is.
im confused, if you slagg off a player ie: f*** useless ba*** , does someone come on and say "why dont you say it to their face "?

Typical uneducated, do not have a clue answer. these will be the same guys you see home and away, friendlies, europe and never missing a game- yet you think they are there for the violence and nothing else?

Brooster
24-09-2009, 10:27 AM

I am not one of 'them'. I was just curious if you had the balls to call them bell ends to their faces.

Greenway
24-09-2009, 10:43 AM

It's a very solid point, telling some "Thick Violent Bampot" that you think they are rather foolish, is not the action of an intelligent man. It's very strange that someone actually needs this simple fact explained to them.

As for "Ned" books I wouldn't give any of these "embarrassments of the human race" a penny of my money. There are so many better ways to use your cash. Buy something from the club, give it to charity, or simple burn it.

Brooster
24-09-2009, 11:07 AM
It's a very solid point, telling some "Thick Violent Bampot" that you think they are rather foolish, is not the action of an intelligent man. It's very strange that someone actually needs this simple fact explained to them.

As for "Ned" books I wouldn't give any of these "embarrassments of the human race" a penny of my money. There are so many better ways to use your cash. Buy something from the club, give it to charity, or simple burn it.

I agree with some of your views but fail to see why an intelligent man would come on here and call these guys bell ends and such like when there isn't the slightest hope in hell that they would say it to their faces. These intelligent men are clearly keyboard hardmen :wink:

skipster7
24-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with some of your views but fail to see why an intelligent man would come on here and call these guys bell ends and such like when there isn't the slightest hope in hell that they would say it to their faces. These intelligent men are clearly keyboard hardmen :wink:
not a keyboard hardman,on hibs . net clicked this thread to see what was about then gave my opinion on the topic of the thread:wink::wink::wink:
next time someone cuts you up on the road and you swear i fully expect you to chase them for miles so you can say to their face that they were driving like an ar**hole rather than say it to any passengers you might have ??
is this freedom of speech or hard.net.?:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
no opinions to be offered on anyone unless your willing to say it to their face:dizzy:

lapsedhibee
24-09-2009, 11:24 AM
no opinions to be offered on anyone unless your willing to say it to their face:dizzy:

To their face in a pub!

skipster7
24-09-2009, 11:26 AM
To their face in a pub!
fully tooled up lol:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Why would he do that? :confused:

He could maybe chuck a petrol bomb in the general direction of them though?

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Am I getting this right? Messageboarders give publicity to a book by a ned who with his mates shamed Hibernian, while giving the players pelters for letting us down.:bitchy::confused:

I'll answer the question that will come after this post first of all, no I am not a Hibs casual.

I've recognised them over the years since casuals started up, some Hibs away supports in the eighties were so small any Hbs fans who attended regularly would be able to pick them out.

In terms of supporting the club I couldn't fault them, there are not many Hibs fans who have been to more games in the last fifteen years than these guys.

They aren't boxing every week and take every pride in seeing their team win, there are many posters on here that slag the team to bits but I don't think this can be directed at the casuals.

As to whether they bring shame to the club that is another debate.

Personally speaking they have made Ibrox a far safer place to visit for any Hibs fan. Due to greater policing it is nowhere as bad as it used to be in the late sixties and seventies.

Baader
24-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Just think the whole casual thing is so played out it's beyond boring now. I can remember reading Jay Allan's almost 20 years ago... The colours may change but the stories don't all that much...

Brooster
24-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I'll answer the question that will come after this post first of all, no I am not a Hibs casual.

I've recognised them over the years since casuals started up, some Hibs away supports in the eighties were so small any Hbs fans who attended regularly would be able to pick them out.

In terms of supporting the club I couldn't fault them, there are not many Hibs fans who have been to more games in the last fifteen years than these guys.

They aren't boxing every week and take every pride in seeing their team win, there are many posters on here that slag the team to bits but I don't think this can be directed at the casuals.

Personally speaking they have made Ibrox a far safer place to visit for any Hibs fan. Due to greater policing it is nowhere as bad as it used to be in the late sixties and seventies.

How can you defend those bell ends? :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2009, 12:23 PM

:hilarious

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 12:25 PM

I have to thank a particular bell end for many years of pleasure ( not so much recently mind you).

Green_one
24-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Well thats OK then. As long as they supported the Hibs and only did part time violence. Hitting someone in the BACK with an axe and throwing a petrol bomb at other supporters obviously made the world a lot safer for the rest of us. No retaliation like CS gas attacks at ER for example. :brickwall

There is no 'debate'. These guys were an embarrassment to Hibs and were certainly not an asset. They used Hibs as a vehicle for violence. Claiming they were good supporters is an insult to the rest of us. Some of CCS were not even Hibs supporters.

1875 NO 1
24-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Well thats OK then. As long as they supported the Hibs and only did part time violence. Hitting someone in the BACK with an axe and throwing a petrol bomb at other supporters obviously made the world a lot safer for the rest of us. No retaliation like CS gas attacks at ER for example. :brickwall

There is no 'debate'. These guys were an embarrassment to Hibs and were certainly not an asset. They used Hibs as a vehicle for violence. Claiming they were good supporters is an insult to the rest of us. Some of CCS were not even Hibs supporters.

This was done as I understand from reading TCDR because of Aberdeen trying to kick a Hibby to death.

hibbiedon
24-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Im against all types of violence both physical and verbal, make no mistake verbal violence does a lot of damage you may not see the scars but that does not mean they are there, its funny how some people condem the casuals or others of that ilk then launch a verbal attack on a Hibs player here without thinking of the hurt and pain they cause.

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Where did I say I condoned violence, I stated that they were Hibs fans and attended games on a helluva regular basis.

If all so called Hibs fans attended on such a regular basis then our crowds would be much bigger and by my reckoning the club would have more money which in turn could make our team stronger.

Like them or loathe them they follow the club through thick and thin.

FWIW I think I am correct in saying the axe incident was not related to football.

PaulSmith
24-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Where did I say I condoned violence, I stated that they were Hibs fans and attended games on a helluva regular basis.

If all so called Hibs fans attended on such a regular basis then our crowds would be much bigger and by my reckoning the club would have more money which in turn could make our team stronger.

FWIW I think I am correct in saying the axe incident was not related to football.

Correct, It was a Friday or Saturday night at the Kronk nightclub in Dunfermline. Another poster on here alledged it was in retalliation for threats made at the door of the authors home to his family, I do not think it was some random attack against another law abiding citizen that's for sure. And no it doesn't make 'OK' but if your in that world then it's a price that you have to pay sometimes.

Frazerbob
24-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Some do and as you say there are many we all recognise from way back who still go week in, week out. I don't doubt they're "Hibbyness". However there are a lot more "hangers on" who have little or no interest in the football and even these days, come out for the big games (as they perceive them). As has been mentioned, there are some who are even Jambos. Just cos you go to every game doesn't mean you're exempt from being a dick. You can be a knob AND a Hibs fan!

Future17
24-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Personally speaking, I refuse to condemn Al-Qaeda as I feel a hell of a lot safer on planes since 9/11.

Brooster
24-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Some do and as you say there are many we all recognise from way back who still go week in, week out. I don't doubt they're "Hibbyness". However there are a lot more "hangers on" who have little or no interest in the football and even these days, come out for the big games (as they perceive them). As has been mentioned, there are some who are even Jambos. Just cos you go to every game doesn't mean you're exempt from being a dick. You can be a knob AND a Hibs fan!

Correct we have varying degrees of knobs at Hibs - even fat ginger ones and wee smelly cheesy ones.

RIP
24-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I sincerely hope the author isn't going to get fat off the profits of this book!

skipster7
24-09-2009, 02:14 PM

indeed, we'd be lost without them:yawn:

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Personally speaking, I refuse to condemn Al-Qaeda as I feel a hell of a lot safer on planes since 9/11.

An excellent comparison and definitely on the same magnitude.

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 03:03 PM

You can be a Hibs fan and a knob without being a casual though.

Andy74
24-09-2009, 03:18 PM
An excellent comparison and definitely on the same magnitude.

Magnitude or not he has a point, it was hardly their aim to make football a safer place for us all so to go to. It was a by product of having to deal with them and their behaviour.

scoopyboy
24-09-2009, 04:57 PM
agreed (in reply to Andy74)

Rasta_Hibs
24-09-2009, 05:53 PM
My wee tuppence worth is!

Football hooligans are thugs no getting away from it but i feel there are people who may understand the culture of football casuals they then seem to take offence about the football casual being called a thug and then they mount a defence by explaining the casual is also a real Hibee, diehard and supports team through thick and thin as some kind of defence against being labellled thugs.

Im my opinion there is no defence of their behaviour but then why should there be? If i want to go fighting on the streets with people from other teams then your a thug. But also at the end of the day you can be a thug casual but you can also a Hibee diehard and a true supporter i dont think that they both have to be seperate.

At the end of the day it was a movement a culture of its own and anyone who grew up in and around Edinburgh late 80's & Early 90's were influenced in some sense by the casual scene from fashion to making their own wee crew locally where they lived. All part of growing up i suppose.

People have their opinions whether this is right or wrong a disgrace etc and they are entitled to it and should express their displeasure but i also think some may find it easy to critise something they dont understand.

norhfc
24-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Agree with rasta,there was a culture which included music and fashion,which was also takin up in many other counties around the world.It was years before the media realised they where there.Maybe those shouting the loudest moved straight from their mothers to their wifes without a period a lot of guys go through before settling down.Dont forget the 80s are now seen as a dark period, financially,politically and socially.Thatchers children as they called us where hardened kids,dont forget the poll tax,miners strike and riots down south.A diffrent era which mustnt be forgotten.....if you dont understand it....dont buy it,easy.Amazons getting my order tonight.

Baldy
24-09-2009, 06:51 PM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/features/Exfootball-thug-has-no-regrets.5675393.jp

judas
24-09-2009, 07:47 PM
has anyone read a decent book written by a "casual"?

Yes. That is because 99.9% of casuals are simpletons.

A load of 5hite for the doped up - on tabloids - masses.

chrisski33
24-09-2009, 08:12 PM

hear hear! cant believe anyone would support these guys by buying this book!

sh00byd00
24-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Plums, the lot of them.

I love the fact that these guys all spout the - i have reformed, i have changed for my kids, I have grew up and regret doing what i did etc, etc, etc, yet have no qualms about glorify their exploits as to sell books.

The only thing this guy is genuinely sorry about is the fact he got caught then subsequently jailed for his actions and didn't think to cash in on his moronic actions before now.

I remember an English guy coming on here asking for witnesses after being attacked on Easter Road (or Leith Walk) after a game, and everyone showing their disgust over the attack, yet when it comes to 'teh Hibs Boys'
their actions and behaviour are/were something to swoon over.

judas
24-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Plums, the lot of them.

I love the fact that these guys all spout the - i have reformed, i have changed for my kids, I have grew up and regret doing what i did etc, etc, etc, yet have no qualms about glorify their exploits as to sell books.

The only thing this guy is genuinely sorry about is the fact he got caught then subsequently jailed for his actions and didn't think to cash in on his moronic actions before now.

I remember an English guy coming on here asking for witnesses after being attacked on Easter Road (or Leith Walk) after a game, and everyone showing their disgust over the attack, yet when it comes to 'teh Hibs Boys'
their actions and behaviour are/were something to swoon over.

Well said. There is a sad case section among Hibs net.

It is full of Hibs boy sycophants. Frankly, it's a bit wierd. I really don't get it.

joe breezy
25-09-2009, 07:35 AM
As someone who went through that period sporting 2nd hand 1950`s American clothing purchased at "Flipp of Hollywood" on The Bridges and getting his quiff trimmed at Woods barbers round the corner, I would have been shown the door pretty swiftly by the casuals had I attempted to join up :rockin:

There was a time when Flipp of Hollywood was 'in' that and quiffs from Woods the Barber so you probably would have blended in quite well in 1987.

frazeHFC
06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Is this a good read? I am not interested in how well written it is, i just like reading about all the events

Gala Foxes
07-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Have just read the book - few sections relating to Hibs games that I remember (pre season at Elgin/Keith) were interesting & nostalgic in the way Ted Brack's book was. All the Inverkeithing / away from the football content is boring and of no interest.

All in it is pretty self indulgent & would spend your £8.99 elsewhere

CRAZYHIBBY
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
a pile of keek, unless your 14 or a wannabe casual then id spend my cash elsewhere

TheEastTerrace
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I read it and wasn't the biggest fan. I preferred Dykes' book.

MUSSI LEE
08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought both books were enjoyable, mainly because they were unadorned perspectives on their life times from the authors. FWIW Dykes was funnier, Andy's was more informative generally. Both guys like a fight for their own reasons, but both personally to me have been decent like lots of other fans of the club. Bongo in particular is a good guy, 100% Hibs.
The front cover has been a little doctored, based on a previous picture on here. Understandable really, people move on. It seems both authors have claimed to do just that. I only hope for them both that it doesn't make them targets for inadequates wanting a pop and touch of reflected pecking order position.

Interestingly I've been sending unwittingly Andy a Christmas card for the past ten years because he moved into my oldest mates house in Inverkeithing. Made me laugh:greengrin

Regarding Andy's comments on Helen Chamberlain, I heartily concur:agree:special delivery i hope :wink:

Chuckie
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm going to take my keyboard to the West Stand next week and smack AB right over the head with it...

Big Frank
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm going to take my keyboard to the West Stand next week and smack AB right over the head with it...

:faf::greengrin

AB 1 Chuckies Keyboard 0 :cool2:

Gala Foxes
09-10-2009, 04:54 AM
With all the reference to shoplifting in the book is there a chance that more copies will be "shoplifted" than bought at the tills ?

CRAZYHIBBY
09-10-2009, 05:59 AM

watch yerself mate i heard he smokes :rolleyes:

Steve20
09-10-2009, 07:53 AM
The way some people have went on in this thread, you would think they were heroes. Anyone that goes looking for trouble needs to have a serious look at themselves.

joe breezy
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The way some people have went on in this thread, you would think they were heroes. Anyone that goes looking for trouble needs to have a serious look at themselves.

Someone your age doesn't seem to realise that trouble was everywhere at football in the 70s and early 80s anyway. It was part and parcel of what went on.