PDA

View Full Version : 10 yards

Jaz
23-09-2009, 07:23 PM
When is 10 yards not 10 yards? When it's 9.15 meters.

To the various people last night who were going off on one at the Ref for only pacing out 9 steps to retreat the St Johnstone wall.

Referees learn all the distances around the football pitch in the metric system not the imperial system.

Referees are instructed to pace out 9 one meter steps (approx) then a small step to represent the 0.15m.

It's a bit daft but that's it.

The ref is not cheating Hibs with only 9 paces for the opposition wall!! :agree:

Teo10
23-09-2009, 07:30 PM

To the various people last night who were going off on one at the Ref for only pacing out 9 steps to retreat the St Johnstone wall.

Referees learn all the distances around the football pitch in the metric system not the imperial system.

Referees are instructed to pace out 9 one meter steps (approx) then a small step to represent the 0.15m.

The ref is not cheating Hibs with only 9 paces for the opposition wall!! :agree:

But the 2 yards they move forward when the ref isn't looking is cheating...

Happens all the time though, so can't really complain.

Peevemor
23-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Well the instructors are wrong. I'm 6'3" and I have to stretch slightly to pace out 1m. The average person paces a yard (0.9144m), therefore 10 old fashioned paces would bring you to almost exactly the statutory 9.15m.

So there! :nerd:

littleplum
23-09-2009, 10:24 PM
When I used to referee we were taught to use the pitch markings to judge how far 9.15m was. For example, if there was a free kick just outside the pen box you'd use the pen spot to the arc as a comparison. As a short arse, I'd have to have taken about 20 steps to pace it out otherwise...

Septimus
24-09-2009, 06:30 AM
And a step backwards is unlikely to measure the same as a step forwards. The main thing is that the referee should be consistantly wrong if wrong he has to be.

proud_and_green
24-09-2009, 11:29 AM
And when you think of all the devices that he could use to make sure it is exact. He should be properly equipped with a Theodolite and laser measure, which should then be verified by the linesmen using GPS and signed off by the fourth official after consultation with a fans representative committee presided over by the SFA!!!!

Woody1985
24-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Has anyone ever thought of this....

There are some freekick takers that are simply outstanding at getting the ball up and over a wall 8-10 yards away.

If the wall was to stand off say 15 yards with maybe one close to the ball to charge it down do you think it would give keepers a better view and chance of saving?

When you have someone 25 yards out who pings it in a lot of the time it might work. I was thinking this when watching Ronaldo's freekicks. He hits it so hard that if it gets over the wall then it's practically in.

Obviously it would depend on the position of the freekick but surely someone could try something different just to see what happens. :LOL:

Scouse Hibee
24-09-2009, 11:35 AM
But the 2 yards they move forward when the ref isn't looking is cheating...

Happens all the time though, so can't really complain.

Or the free kick taker moves the ball to a better position while the ref is moving the wall.Tried unsuccesfullly by Deek on more than one occasion on Tuesday night.