PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon at right back

hibsbollah
23-09-2009, 01:56 PM
By all accounts he dropped back to right back for the last 35 minutes or so when Zemmama came on, he's played there already this season and Yogi has mentioned he likes him there too.

So do people think that will be his best position and if so, who plays right midfield? Or is such a promising attacker just wasted back there?

RoscoHibby
23-09-2009, 01:59 PM
The laddie is 19, not sure how anyone can decide what his 'best position' is. Think he'd be very effective at RB considering how Yogi wants his fullbacks to play. In a flat back 4, I'd say possibly wasted talent, but this hasn't seemed to stop him pushing on.

About the only one that will try and whip a cross in, looks much more dangerous than the Rankin 40yd floater....:duck:

The_Horde
23-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd probably give him a wee rest for the next few games, wait until the team get a bit of rhythm and start playing to potential with the right tactics then get him back in there, before his confidence takes a beating.

I'd still have him as an option off the bench though. :agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-09-2009, 02:06 PM
By all accounts he dropped back to right back for the last 35 minutes or so when Zemmama came on, he's played there already this season and Yogi has mentioned he likes him there too.

So do people think that will be his best position and if so, who plays right midfield? Or is such a promising attacker just wasted back there?

I think D could do very well at RB, looks uncannily like Whitty the way he moves with the ball. Would need to work on the defensive side of playing that role obviously.

Wont help the laddie out defensively tho if he's asked to play RB with Zouma at RM.....

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2009, 02:55 PM

I thought McCormack had done as well as anybody, if not better, up until being subbed - involved in the goal, some decent link-up with Wotherspoon on occasions. He wasn't fantastic last night (clearly nobody was) but didn't need to be to look as good as, if not a wee bit better than, the rest. I'm not convinced that Wotherspoon offers a great deal more in that position.

Clearly Hughes wants his fullbacks to play high up the pitch and when he arrived at the club I don't think he really had the players he would like for that style. He's making do with what he considers the best option I suppose, given that we don't have a spare Whittaker kicking about.

I think Wotherspoon has a good touch and is keen to get involved. Given his attacking instincts it's possible he could play RB in the style the manager wants but he just seems a more natural fit in RM.

BSEJVT
23-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Prepared for a flaming here but, much as I like Wotherspoon, the place to decide if he is a right back or not is not IMO in the last 15 minutes of a cup tie when you are already getting a chasing from the opposition in terms of possession and chances created.

McCormack had done nothing wrong and was getting a far better time of it than Hanlon on the other side who was brutal last night.

If Yogi wanted Zemmama on he should have subbed Wotherspoon, who contributed little last night IMO.

I really dont get why he made that change at all.

Pretensions of being the darling of the support by his exciting subs?

If so it didnt work as it was a big factor in our getting knocked out.

First goal came down RHS and I may be wrong but I thought it was Wothersponn who was too slow if charging down shot for the 3rd.

I hasten to add that I dont blame the laddie but Yogi for putting him in that position.

Borders Hibby
23-09-2009, 04:01 PM

Yes it is!:agree:

Arch Stanton
23-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Prepared for a flaming here but, much as I like Wotherspoon, the place to decide if he is a right back or not is not IMO in the last 15 minutes of a cup tie when you are already getting a chasing from the opposition in terms of possession and chances created.

McCormack had done nothing wrong and was getting a far better time of it than Hanlon on the other side who was brutal last night.

If Yogi wanted Zemmama on he should have subbed Wotherspoon, who contributed little last night IMO.

I really dont get why he made that change at all.

Pretensions of being the darling of the support by his exciting subs?

If so it didnt work as it was a big factor in our getting knocked out.

First goal came down RHS and I may be wrong but I thought it was Wothersponn who was too slow if charging down shot for the 3rd.

I hasten to add that I dont blame the laddie but Yogi for putting him in that position.

I could see the sense in bringing on Zemamma and also in changing from a 433 to a 442 but he really should have taken Riordan off as he is even less effective in a 442 than he is in a 433. (IMO of course :greengrin).

Ronaldo9
23-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Took the easy way out last night by subbing Daz and putting D at RB. Should have taken Rankin of as he was just that Rank!

jodjam
24-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I like the look of Wotherspoon in midfield but right back is clearly a problem area. If i remember when Bobby Williamson started he knew RB was a problem and Whittaker put his hand up to play there even tho it wasn't his preferred position. He done ok to start with and nailed down this position so this may be a route for Wotherspoon to take.

RIP
24-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that Tenacious D will start as right back before XMAS

Maka

Wotherspoon Hogg Bamba Murray

McBride

Zemmama, Cregg, Miller

Riordan Stokes

Subs
Stack, McCormack, Hanlon, Rankin, Galbraith, Benji, Byrne

Mickey Edwards
24-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that Tenacious D will start as right back before XMAS

Maka

Wotherspoon Hogg Bamba Murray

McBride

Zemmama, Cregg, Miller

Riordan Stokes

Subs
Stack, McCormack, Hanlon, Rankin, Galbraith, Benji, Byrne

Good shout....good team there :agree:................maybe Benji first pick up front if either forward not on fire.

Franck is God
24-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I think that Wotherspoon could be the best option at RB unless McCann is fit. I like McCormack but he is really a centre half and should only be seen as cover for the position.

I thought against St Mirren playing wide right supported by McCann he got so many good crosses in but hasn't been able to reproduce that since. I'd like to see him and Zemmama link up on the right hand side though, could be a very good combination?