PDA

View Full Version : Strengths and Weaknesses

EVENTUALLY
23-09-2009, 11:54 AM
It is widely acknowledged that Eddie Turnbull was a far superior Coach to Jock Stein however among Stein's management skills and strategy was to play a side which consisted of players whose strengths were maximised and weaknesses covered up.

McCormack and Hanlon have represented the national side at various levels and both have captained those sides while being deployed in their strongest postion of Central Defender. Both these guys are struggling to fulfill their potential at Full Back and consequently the team is weakened.
I would suggest that their careers will suffer and the team will continue to struggle if they are retained at Full Back. John Collins suggested that Hanlon's lack of height and build prevented him from considering him as a Central Defender however Franco Baresi was 5' 9", Fabio Cannavaro is 5' 10" and Cavalho is 5' 11" !!

Sol Bamba's lack of positional awareness,timing of aerial challenges and his inability to weight a straight ball from back to front creates more problems for the team when he is asked to play in Central Defence.

Kevin McBride is fine with time to play and distribute the ball from just in front of the defence but he is limited when pressed in the hurly burly of a midfield tussle.

Both John Rankin and Patrick Cregg have boundless energy but little ability or creative skill to influence a game from midfield.

As Derek Riordan is petrified to challenge for headers the forward play is completely ineffective when high balls are fired in his direction.

To strengthen this Hibs side I would give McCormack or Hanlon an opportunity in Central defence and play two players who have been developed as Full Backs....Kevin McCann and Calum Booth, I know Booth is young but he is potentially excellent. Bamba into midfield were he is much more effective and were he would immediately add height and physical presence to the tiny midfield. I would introduce Sean Welsh at the expense of McBride, Rankin or Cregg. Last season's u19 captain produced consistent performances week in week out and knows his way around a football pitch. With Miller, Zemmamma, Riordan, Stokes and Benji around the ball should be played on the grass at a high tempo as these players have the skills to take advantage of a fast flowing game. I would also be on the lookout for another Keeper, someone like Samotulski who was a steady 7 out of 10 every week and gave confidence to the side.

brog
23-09-2009, 12:29 PM
It is widely acknowledged that Eddie Turnbull was a far superior Coach to Jock Stein however among Stein's management skills and strategy was to play a side which consisted of players whose strengths were maximised and weaknesses covered up.

McCormack and Hanlon have represented the national side at various levels and both have captained those sides while being deployed in their strongest postion of Central Defender. Both these guys are struggling to fulfill their potential at Full Back and consequently the team is weakened.
I would suggest that their careers will suffer and the team will continue to struggle if they are retained at Full Back. John Collins suggested that Hanlon's lack of height and build prevented him from considering him as a Central Defender however Franco Baresi was 5' 9", Fabio Cannavaro is 5' 10" and Cavalho is 5' 11" !!

Sol Bamba's lack of positional awareness,timing of aerial challenges and his inability to weight a straight ball from back to front creates more problems for the team when he is asked to play in Central Defence.

Kevin McBride is fine with time to play and distribute the ball from just in front of the defence but he is limited when pressed in the hurly burly of a midfield tussle.

Both John Rankin and Patrick Cregg have boundless energy but little ability or creative skill to influence a game from midfield.

As Derek Riordan is petrified to challenge for headers the forward play is completely ineffective when high balls are fired in his direction.

To strengthen this Hibs side I would give McCormack or Hanlon an opportunity in Central defence and play two players who have been developed as Full Backs....Kevin McCann and Calum Booth, I know Booth is young but he is potentially excellent. Bamba into midfield were he is much more effective and were he would immediately add height and physical presence to the tiny midfield. I would introduce Sean Welsh at the expense of McBride, Rankin or Cregg. Last season's u19 captain produced consistent performances week in week out and knows his way around a football pitch. With Miller, Zemmamma, Riordan, Stokes and Benji around the ball should be played on the grass at a high tempo as these players have the skills to take advantage of a fast flowing game. I would also be on the lookout for another Keeper, someone like Samotulski who was a steady 7 out of 10 every week and gave confidence to the side.

Good thoughts, my only doubt is putting so much onus on so many young players. The Hibs support is not exactly forgiving, see today, & those young lads could be scarred for life if we suffered a few reverses.

stubru59
23-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Hughes was quoted earlier on in the season as saying he would not hang his hat on the youngsters.

By all means give the young lads game time, but be prepared for inconsistency.

Saying that, some of the more experienced hands have hardly excelled themselves.

Andy74
23-09-2009, 03:56 PM

No chance at centre half if they can't even win balls at full back.