PDA

View Full Version : Playing with 10 men

in-me-pocket
23-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I've said it for ages and I'll say it again.... when you start with only 10 men against 11 every week you're going to be up against it.

What anyone can see that Rankin contributes in a game is beyond me. Saturday and last night => nothing. Just as well playing with a man short.
Oh and before all the Rankin luvvies come on and tell me he runs aboot and is up and doon the park and puts a hard shift in, give it a break eh ? Contribution zero.

PISTOL1875
23-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I've said it for ages and I'll say it again.... when you start with only 10 men against 11 every week you're going to be up against it.

What anyone can see that Rankin contributes in a game is beyond me. Saturday and last night => nothing. Just as well playing with a man short.
Oh and before all the Rankin luvvies come on and tell me he runs aboot and is up and doon the park and puts a hard shift in, give it a break eh ? Contribution zero.

With Bamba playing last night , we were only really playing with 9....

I see what you are saying.. JR has contributed nothing to the team so far.. I hate seeing players having bad times but when they are going through this , the best thing to do is give them a break...

Monts
23-09-2009, 11:40 AM
With Bamba playing last night , we were only really playing with 9....

Riordan, and we're down to 8

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 11:41 AM

I've defended Rankin in the past because I thought some of the criticism was harsh but I can't defend him re the last two games because he's been really poor. I'd play Cregg ahead of him or perhaps even Galbraith although it would be asking a lot of the latter given his inexperience

Craig_in_Prague
23-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't enjoy bashing our players, but I have to admit Rankin's one of them that frustrates me, He doesn't support our LB, he doesn't support down LW either, at times in the 1st half you wouldn't even have known he was playing last night.

Offers zilch.

Get Zemmama or even Galbraith into the side, we need more going forward and a better supply to our strikers.

California-Hibs
23-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Rankin shouldnt be making the starting 11, he simply isnt good enough, Zemmama in for him please.

PISTOL1875
I've defended Rankin in the past because I thought some of the criticism was harsh but I can't defend him re the last two games because he's been really poor. I'd play Cregg ahead of him or perhaps even Galbraith although it would be asking a lot of the latter given his inexperience

Playing Galbraith might not be a bad thing.. It will give him some game time and he will track back and give Hanlon a hand with the defending side of things....

hibee_girl

Same here, I was trying to defend him to people around me last night, saying he gets too hard a time etc but just as I said that he then went on to play one of the worse passes of the night.

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Playing Galbraith might not be a bad thing.. It will give him some game time and he will track back and give Hanlon a hand with the defending side of things....

You might be right but what worries me is that if he doesn't play too well he'll get pelters as in the case of Hanlon on another thread.

PISTOL1875
23-09-2009, 11:46 AM
You might be right but what worries me is that if he doesn't play too well he'll get pelters as in the case of Hanlon on another thread.

I see what you are saying but he will offer a lot more down the left wing than Riordan.. Either DG or give Stevenson a chance ............

GreenPJ
23-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Rankin's problem is he is lining up as if he should be the left midfielder in a 4 but he invariably drops into the middle along with Miller/McBride/Cregg.

We need whoever is appointed to be left midfielder to stay out on the left and give the full back cover defensively and provide an out ball attackingly.

I don't think Rankin performed well last night or even particularly well on Sat but think he needs to be allowed to be a central mid or told to stay on the left.

Again I think there are worse performers.

Franck is God
23-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Rankin is a trier but that doesn't disguise that fact that he isn't good enough. I can appreciate effort but at the end of the day we have better players than him sitting on the bench.

I have always described him as a poor Stephen Glass and he left because he wasn't good enough either but I would still have him in the team ahead of Rankin.

I won't single him out for last night individually though as he was just one of many that didn't perform.

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Rankin's problem is he is lining up as if he should be the left midfielder in a 4 but he invariably drops into the middle along with Miller/McBride/Cregg.

We need whoever is appointed to be left midfielder to stay out on the left and give the full back cover defensively and provide an out ball attackingly.

I don't think Rankin performed well last night or even particularly well on Sat but think he needs to be allowed to be a central mid or told to stay on the left.

:top marks which in turn leaves Hanlon exposed and the laddie gets pelters for having no positional sense. St J and others spot the lack of bodies on our left and send two men down the right which means Hanlon often looks out of position as he's trying to cover both attackers

scoopyboy
23-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I've given up on Rankin after defending him for long enough.

He's not good enough and he won't get any better at his age. I think its probably because he is the best trainer at the club that Yogi can't see past him.

For us to improve he must be replaced. Lewis Stevenson has waited patiently for a chance and his time must come soon, if he doesn't take it then I think he may on his way as well.

FWIW I wouldn't mind Lee Currie being given a chance. He has a sweet left peg, gets stuck in and IMO is a better bet than Rankin and Stevenson.

Twa Cairpets
23-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Haud the bus.

1) Rankin goes off, two goals are scored against us.
2) Play Zemamma instead of Rankin? Completely different players offering completely different things to the team.
3) Two very bad passes made last night, and the guy is slated. Riordan made an equal number of guff passes, as did McBride, Hanlon, Bamaba, Stokes, Miller et al. Rankin is the current boo-boys target, so its his that get noticed.
4) Wotherspoon was virtually invisible last night. Rankin never stopped working, blocking, collecting, and at least trying to create, but I see no thread slating Wotherspoon (which is a good thing btw).

The blinkered views of this player are utterly depressing. And I aint no "Rankin lover", I just see a decent pro doing a decent job. No more, no less.

scoopyboy
23-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Haud the bus.

1) Rankin goes off, two goals are scored against us.
2) Play Zemamma instead of Rankin? Completely different players offering completely different things to the team.
3) Two very bad passes made last night, and the guy is slated. Riordan made an equal number of guff passes, as did McBride, Hanlon, Bamaba, Stokes, Miller et al. Rankin is the current boo-boys target, so its his that get noticed.
4) Wotherspoon was virtually invisible last night. Rankin never stopped working, blocking, collecting, and at least trying to create, but I see no thread slating Wotherspoon (which is a good thing btw).

The blinkered views of this player are utterly depressing. And I aint no "Rankin lover", I just see a decent pro doing a decent job. No more, no less.

My post wasn't based on last night alone, he has not been good enough on a consistent basis since coming to the club.

Judas Iscariot
23-09-2009, 12:05 PM

:top marks

hibee_girl
23-09-2009, 12:18 PM

:agree:

The amount of space that gave St Johnstone last night was unbelieveable at times.

Speedway
23-09-2009, 12:25 PM

I recently asked this question myself on another thread. I got told that he 'ran his wee heart out' and had provided two assists and that we can't ask for more than that.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2170342&postcount=261

So there you go.

Judas Iscariot
23-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I recently asked this question myself on another thread. I got told that he 'ran his wee heart out' and had provided two assists and that we can't ask for more than that.

So there you go.

I can gurantee you my 2 dogs could run their wee hearts out all game long too..

Does that mean they deserve a start?

:grr:

lapsedhibee
23-09-2009, 12:30 PM

I can gurantee you my 2 dogs could run their wee hearts out all game long too..

Does that mean they deserve a start?

How tall are they? :dunno:

Danny_Hibee
23-09-2009, 12:36 PM

So basically, before anyone else comes on and dares to disagree with you then? :confused:

FWIW Rankin has played poorly recently but IMO has been no worse than a few, if not most, of the others that have been playing. Harsh to single him out for criticism over the last few games when the rest of the team have been equally as bad as he was one of the players being mentioned on here as the most improved and one of the better performers near the end of last season.

Si_17
23-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Riordan, and we're down to 8

Hanlon and it's seven.

Judas Iscariot
23-09-2009, 12:42 PM
How tall are they? :dunno:

Not that tall really...

But as you can see, they do like to keep a hold of the ball :agree:

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Not that tall really...

But as you can see, they do like to keep a hold of the ball :agree:

Just the sort of midfield terriers we need :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
23-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Just the sort of midfield terriers we need :greengrin

:greengrin

Trialists on Saturday then :wink:

RoscoHibby
23-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Rankin not my favourite player has to be said, works hard, but really found lacking with quality at times.

Interesting point re. him tucking in on the left. This could really be doing more damage than would appear at 1st glance. Hughes wants us to be passing the ball through midfield, and against St J (twice) we've struggled to do this. You wonder why, as apart from maybe Jody Morris, we're man for man better than they are.

So really, if that is the case, and they are hussling, harrying and working hard, thats when you've really got to stretch the game and get the ball working. i.e, a midfielder on each touchline, that then frees up space for miller/mcbride to pick passes and more space for Riordan/zouma to get on the ball. Just a thought! Get back to 4-4-2 and get Galbraith on! (who looked like a wee tiger when he came on last night)

Exiled Hibby
23-09-2009, 01:17 PM
midfield 4 of Zemmama, Cregg, Miller and Galbraith. Think its also time to bring Maka back, especially as Well will no doubt throw Sutton in on Saturday to shake up our poor defence - for that reason alone we need a goalie who will at least try to dominate his box