PDA

View Full Version : It won't happen overnight

matty_f
23-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Yogi said when he came to the club that getting things right on the pitch would take time, that it wouldn't happen overnight.

After the Hamilton debacle, he said we would probably see performances and results like that again this season as he tries to go about sorting things out.

Though last night was a horrible performance, with very few players at the races, I think that it shows that Yogi was right.

We all agreed that he needed time, yet we've ridiculous (IMHO) calls questioning his appointment already. 'Have we signed another dud?', 'cheap option', 'didnae want him then...'

This is when we need to back the manager and the team. If we've all (or more or less all) acknowledged that re-shaping and re-building the team after the horrors of last season will take time, then surely we have to afford that time to Yogi?

Most important thing from last night is we learn from it, improve, and move on.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I am certainly not reaching for the panic button yet. But that is three dreadful performances in a row. The problem for me last night was that DM made changes to rectify what happened on Saturday. Not sure that we did anything different. So that is three games, outplayed each time. If we don't get anything from the 'Well game it is all too easy to get stuck in a rut.

johnrebus
23-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Yogi said when he came to the club that getting things right on the pitch would take time, that it wouldn't happen overnight.

After the Hamilton debacle, he said we would probably see performances and results like that again this season as he tries to go about sorting things out.

Though last night was a horrible performance, with very few players at the races, I think that it shows that Yogi was right.

We all agreed that he needed time, yet we've ridiculous (IMHO) calls questioning his appointment already. 'Have we signed another dud?', 'cheap option', 'didnae want him then...'

This is when we need to back the manager and the team. If we've all (or more or less all) acknowledged that re-shaping and re-building the team after the horrors of last season will take time, then surely we have to afford that time to Yogi?

Agree with all of this.

It seems to me that the players have not yet bought into what Yogi wants, but I trust him to get it right - hopefully soon.

He has already shown that he can be decisive in dealing with certain situations and acted quickly to empty some of the dross or wage thiefs hanging arouind ER such as DVZ, Chisholm, O'Brien and JJ.

Yet he must be aware that we are very weak in defensive areas, but has not acted to sort this out. I suspect - or hope - that he had targets over the summer for centre back and full back positions but lost out for whatever reasons. He must now realise that Bamba is not a centre half and that McCormack is not a full back and that Sol should be deployed in front of the defense to perform the famous ' Rocky ' roll.

I feel that if we can get the defense shored up and with a few adjustments in midfield that 3rd place is well within our grasp.

It does hurt this morning, but Christ, this is Hibs we're talking about. To even thing about emptying Yogi and below par performers right now, is just daft.......,

:bitchy:

Sudds_1
23-09-2009, 08:04 AM
yep, more or less sums up my feelings at the mo. Hughes took over a club with real problems on the park and in the dressing room. He's alluded to several of those these past few weeks. Contrary to what some might think, those were not all the fault of Mixu.......but rather a progressive decline over years that can be tracked back (perhaps) to the departure of Mcleish (and probably even further).

As A Hibby of some 40 odd years I'm used to this. I actually doubt we'll ever see the consistency that many on here seem to demand. Hibs are a medium sized club in a small national league that has neither the status or money to entice big business. So we will always see player turnover as we continue to keep the books balanced. And we'll never be in a position to spend significantly to buy ready made star quality. that will in turn affect our ability to compete consistently at the highest levels - including the european stage. Most on here talk about whether we'll manage to finish third....and I guess that the stark reality. Compare that to when I first started supporting Hibs and our position as one of a few teams who were spoken genuinely about as league winners.......and genuine European class.

The plain fact is that in the 21st century, we'll never be the big fish in the pond...........those days are gone. Big business and money has effectively killed the game I knew.

So, some realism is needed here. I still attend each week because I love my team. Yes I am gutted when we give displays like last night. But I know that along the line there's a magic day awaiting...when we upset the odds and do something special..........

..............and in the final analysis I'm a Hibby. It's been my life up till now good or bad. Bit like a marriage really........ Enough said. :wink:

Keith_M
23-09-2009, 08:05 AM
I've been reading some ridiculously high expectations on here over the last few weeks, now we're back to being the worst team in the world. Yogi was painted as the messiah by a lot of people but then so was Mixu.

Why not judge the progress from the end of the first 22 league games, when we've played everybody home and away. Coincidentally, that's also the end of the transfer window, when we'll see how Yogi does in the transfer market.

Or maybe Yogi should just be sacked now and we can sign a new manager every 3 months......

Benny Brazil
23-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I fully agree that it will take time, time for Yogi's ideas / style of play to bed in, time for the new players to gel, time for the defence to get a better understanding etc.

However - I wish Yogi would shut up.

All the interviews with the media about how he expects this and what he wants from his players is just making him look like a buffoon when we go out and perform like last night.

He needs to concentrate on what he is paid to do. Get results.
Can anyone honestly say they have been that impressed by our play this season?
Yogi is there to coach and train these guys, to get a team that works well in all areas of the pitch and it simply isn't.
The fact is we have only played one of last seasons top six teams so far, god help us when we go to Ibrox or Tannadice or *********** with that defence - we have had a supposed easier start than most and have managed three victories but the performances have been pretty poor.

Seriously underwhelmed by Yogi so far.

stubru59
23-09-2009, 08:06 AM
To start with the same eleven as he did on Saturday shows extremely poor judgement.

We were simply not at the races and frankly we got away with murder.

A lot of repair work is required at ER and it needs to begin now. Hughes will come good but he needs to learn - quickly - from his own mistakes.

Auckland Hibs
23-09-2009, 08:08 AM
:grr:
yep, more or less sums up my feelings at the mo. Hughes took over a club with real problems on the park and in the dressing room. He's alluded to several of those these past few weeks. Contrary to what some might think, those were not all the fault of Mixu.......but rather a progressive decline over years that can be tracked back (perhaps) to the departure of Mcleish (and probably even further).

As A Hibby of some 40 odd years I'm used to this. I actually doubt we'll ever see the consistency that many on here seem to demand. Hibs are a medium sized club in a small national league that has neither the status or money to entice big business. So we will always see player turnover as we continue to keep the books balanced. And we'll never be in a position to spend significantly to buy ready made star quality. that will in turn affect our ability to compete consistently at the highest levels - including the european stage. Most on here talk about whether we'll manage to finish third....and I guess that the stark reality. Compare that to when I first started supporting Hibs and our position as one of a few teams who were spoken genuinely about as league winners.......and genuine European class.

The plain fact is that in the 21st century, we'll never be the big fish in the pond...........those days are gone. Big business and money has effectively killed the game I knew.

So, some realism is needed here. I still attend each week because I love my team. Yes I am gutted when we give displays like last night. But I know that along the line there's a magic day awaiting...when we upset the odds and do something special..........

..............and in the final analysis I'm a Hibby. It's been my life up till now good or bad. Bit like a marriage really........ Enough said. :wink:

Spot on :agree:

The frustrating thing is that our players seem to think they can just turn up and the win's ours. There's no urgency or drive from the current squad and we're only in September!

Oohh to be a hibee.............:grr:

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2009, 09:23 AM

I agree with all of that Matty, although i do think Yogi needs to rethink the way he set the team out. We did not have last season, and still don't have this season, the personnel to play 4-3-3, and if he persists doing so like mixu did in playing a system that clearly is not working, he's only going to make a rod for his own back.

The_Todd
23-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Whilst I agree that it will take time to get it totally right, at the end of the day Hibs strongest XI should be beating St Johnstone's strongest XI especially when a place in the next round of a national trophy is at stake.

In the league it's not too bad, it's a marathon not a sprint - but the cups are different. Not to mention our only realistic chance of a trophy went out the window last night, which is why I'm so grumpy.

Keith_M
23-09-2009, 12:35 PM
.......he's only going to make a [R]od for his own back.

Ooh matron!

:wink:

Dirkster23
23-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Most important thing from last night is we learn from it, improve, and move on.[/QUOTE]

I think that's the most worrying thing for me at the moment, he didn't learn from Hamilton and clearly didn't learn from Saturday's game.

I've no doubt that Yogi will turn things around given time, but he needs start reacting to the mistakes he and the players make.

CallumLaidlaw
23-09-2009, 12:49 PM

:agree: http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2180757&postcount=29