PDA

View Full Version : Could Campbell do a Job for us

bathhibby
23-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Just saw the report that he has left Notts Co.
I guess he is a free Agent so what is the mostache one waiting On ?

Kaff
23-09-2009, 07:16 AM

I assume you mean Sol Campbell?

I heard on the radio 5 football league show that he was going to be paid £40,000 a week at Notts County. I'd imagine that would get the moustache twitching!

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2009, 07:40 AM
If they do release him from his deal he’ll not be able to sign for anyone until the January window. TalkSport said Spurs are interested. That would be interesting.

Hibee87
23-09-2009, 07:48 AM
If they do release him from his deal he’ll not be able to sign for anyone until the January window. TalkSport said Spurs are interested. That would be interesting.

Why is that? somthign to do wi that pishy rule about not playing for 3 different teams in a season or somthing?

Bob1875
23-09-2009, 07:50 AM
He's left already! What a plonker.

scott7_0(Prague)
23-09-2009, 08:27 AM

I am hoping you are not being serious......:confused:

persevere1875
23-09-2009, 08:39 AM
IMHO Campbells mince and the last thing we need as a team is another has-bean in the side only interested in himself, time to hang up the boots Mr Campbell, if the story about walking from Notts Countys true (and ive heard he's been shocking there was definately given the run around on Sat) then Im surprised he's got any self respect left. £40G !! i wouldnt give you 40p

bathhibby
23-09-2009, 09:38 AM
OK Guys - can i take my tin Helmet of now ?

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Why is that? somthign to do wi that pishy rule about not playing for 3 different teams in a season or somthing?

No I think if you’re signed to a club on deadline day and subsequently leave your registration is still held until the window opens again. Keane at Man U was sacked in October but couldn’t sign for Celtc until January and it’s why we’ve been releasing players on the last day of the last couple of transfer windows – so they can sign for someone as a free agent.

HibeeUnderwood
23-09-2009, 12:04 PM
To answer the question. No! We have plently of centre backs already, don't need another one. :agree:

And we couldn't afford his wages, he'd bankrupt the club and then leave by mutual consent! :agree: :grr:

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 12:05 PM
IMHO Campbells mince and the last thing we need as a team is another has-bean in the side only interested in himself, time to hang up the boots Mr Campbell, if the story about walking from Notts Countys true (and ive heard he's been shocking there was definately given the run around on Sat) then Im surprised he's got any self respect left. £40G !! i wouldnt give you 40p

Did so a long while back :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
23-09-2009, 12:43 PM

That mercenary? Not a chance! PS where would we get the £40k a week he was on? Hmmm? Gets beat in his debut then throws the toys out of his pram? Cock of the highest order.

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2009, 12:48 PM
To answer the question. No! We have plently of centre backs already, don't need another one. :agree:

Name names!

Andy74
23-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Am I seriously reading here that Sol Campbell wouldn't be welcome at hibs??

Sol Campbell, if he signed for any SPL team would walk away with SPL player of the year.

Harry Redknapp was saying just last week that Sol Campbell would still be one of the top 6 central defenders in the EPL and that if he was manager at any other club he would have signed him, presumably he has some of the 6 that are better?

Seriously, have a word.

Spudster
23-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Sol Campbell, if he signed for any SPL team would walk away with SPL player of the year.

Harry Redknapp was saying just last week that Sol Campbell would still be one of the top 6 central defenders in the EPL and that if he was manager at any other club he would have signed him, presumably he has some of the 6 that are better?

Seriously, have a word.

Just like Roy Keane did? I believe he retired after "Hibs kids ran me ragged". The kid in question being one Jay Shields, now at Cowdenbeath.

:blah:

stu in nottingham
23-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I met Sven Goran Eriksson last night at a restaurant (seriously, yes I did!) He mentioned nothing about Sol to me at all. I'm gutted. :greengrin

His parting shot to me: 'I'm enjoying it here in Nottingham but yes but now we haf to win some football games...'

Don't really understand Campbell here at all. The local press is reporting that he is not buying into the plan of 'long-term progress' being put in place by the club. I think he's made himself look a bit silly over the whole affair.

Andy74
23-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I met Sven Goran Eriksson last night at a restaurant (seriously, yes I did!) He mentioned nothing about Sol to me at all. I'm gutted. :greengrin

His parting shot to me: 'I'm enjoying it here in Nottingham but yes but now we haf to win some football games...'

Don't really understand Campbell here at all. The local press is reporting that he is not buying into the plan of 'long-term progress' being put in place by the club. I think he's made himself look a bit silly over the whole affair.

The idea probably sounded great until the reality of it all hit home during the first game. Just the types of places he'll be playing and the 'facilities' they have would be likely to have put him off, especailly if he has any sort of information that he could still get an EPL team.

Strange though, unless he thinks he can get round it, that he couldn't wait until January.

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Strange though, unless he thinks he can get round it, that he couldn't wait until January.

According to TalkSport the Premier League have "left the door open" for him to sign for an EPL team but the Football League have said no chance. Sounds like Sol has something up his sleeve - he's proven he's a sneeky bass so I reckon he'll sign for an EPL team shortly.

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Seriously, have a word.

:agree:

Although he's just turned 35 he was never really a defender who relied on pace - athleticism maybe, but also a good and grounded sense of position.

70-odd caps for England, league titles with Arsenal (including their unbeaten season), and included in the 'best of' teams for the 2002 and 2004 WC/ECs despite England only reaching the QFs.

Quality player who it appears has had a fair amount of personal issues to deal with, but nevertheless a footballer who would instantly outshine the vast majority of his peers in the SPL, for ability, let alone experience.

Obviously never coming close to ER though, given those wages. If nothing else there are enough English teams who could come a lot closer and take the gamble that he would be reasonably happy there.

Can't help but think a good man-manager would get a huge reward from him. TBH Mowbray could probably work well with him.

The_Todd
23-09-2009, 04:48 PM
For £40k a week I'd expect him to do a couple of jobs for us, including single-handedly rebuilding the East Stand.

Woody1985
23-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Seriously, have a word.

It's because he's at Spurs. He said something along the lines of "I'd never join those Gunners because I'm Spurs through and through" and then he signed for them 4 months later.

I think they were the ones who were giving it "Campbell is a poof" etc etc.

stu in nottingham
23-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Although he's just turned 35 he was never really a defender who relied on pace - athleticism maybe, but also a good and grounded sense of position.

I'm not sure if he relies on it, but he's certainly got/had pace according to this:

'Using data captured over the last two seasons, Castrol have calculated the top speeds of every Premier League player and Walcott came out on top reaching 22.72 mph.

And taking a shock second place, and proving that there’s life in the old dog yet, was Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell who recorded a hugely impressive 22.50mph top speed.'

http://www.footy-boots.com/walcott-fastest-premier-league-7666/

HibeeUnderwood
23-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Name names!

Hogg
Murray
Thicot
McCormack
Bamba
Currie

son of haggart
23-09-2009, 08:52 PM
According to TalkSport the Premier League have "left the door open" for him to sign for an EPL team but the Football League have said no chance. Sounds like Sol has something up his sleeve - he's proven he's a sneeky bass so I reckon he'll sign for an EPL team shortly.

I would guess america

away from the GB press and plenty of sponduliks

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Hogg
Murray
Thicot
McCormack
Bamba
Currie

That list kind of proves you wrong mate!

Hogg's been found out,
Murray and Bamba aren't cemtre-halves,
McCormack's playing full-back and looks too wee for CH
Thicot – I’ve only seen him once or twice at CH so can’t really comment
Currie – no idea, never seen him

Gaffer1875
24-09-2009, 04:07 PM
For £40k a week I'd expect him to do a couple of jobs for us, including single-handedly rebuilding the East Stand.

Thats funny :thumbsup:

I'd take him but there is no chance of him coming to ER. Monster of a man who would do fantastic in the SPL.

HibeeUnderwood
24-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Hogg's been found out,

Who was playing the centre back roles on tuesday night then :hmmm:

HibeeUnderwood
24-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Hogg's been found out,

Still a centre half! :agree:

HibeeUnderwood
24-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Hogg's been found out,

Played his first ever match for us at centre half :agree:

HibeeUnderwood
24-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Hogg's been found out,

Spoke to him once at a game, told me who he was and what his position was! :agree:

I think I've proved my point! :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
24-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Deary deary me.

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I think I've proved my point! :thumbsup:
:greengrin Let's see about that...

Who was playing the centre back roles on tuesday night then :hmmm:

Exactly.

Still a centre half! :agree:

Ok he's a centre-half but not a very good one?

Played his first ever match for us at centre half :agree:

But hasn't been seen there since.

Still think you're right?

Captain Trips
24-09-2009, 04:36 PM
:greengrinWalk right into team and Captaincy, over to you Sol for 2k p/w

HibeeUnderwood
24-09-2009, 05:40 PM
:greengrin Let's see about that...

Exactly.

Ok he's a centre-half but not a very good one?

But hasn't been seen there since.

Still think you're right?

Yeah but thats the last of it!

Think we've pushed the point to the limit! :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
24-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Lee Currie's never a centre back.

Mibbes Aye
24-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure if he relies on it, but he's certainly got/had pace according to this:

'Using data captured over the last two seasons, Castrol have calculated the top speeds of every Premier League player and Walcott came out on top reaching 22.72 mph.

And taking a shock second place, and proving that there’s life in the old dog yet, was Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell who recorded a hugely impressive 22.50mph top speed.'

http://www.footy-boots.com/walcott-fastest-premier-league-7666/

That's incredible. Got to admire his athleticism.