PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon Not good enough

Zemmama19
22-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Seen him a few times too many now,he was dreadful tonight gets caught out time and time again and his positioning is shocking.:bitchy: The guy is just never going to be good enough am afraid,wouldnt be surpirsed to see him joining Mcneil in the lower leagues soon, because his defending belongs their:agree:

Jonnyboy
22-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Seen him a few times too many now,he was dreadful tonight gets caught out time and time again and his positioning is shocking.:bitchy: The guy is just never going to be good enough am afraid,wouldnt be surpirsed to see him joining Mcneil in the lower leagues soon, because his defending belongs their:agree:

Nade

Si_17
22-09-2009, 11:25 PM
He was absolutely ****ing dreadful, and not for the first time. He's cost us points and games more than once, tonight may not have been his fault mind, but his performance was not good enough. He is slow, has a poor touch, is terrible positionally and cannot defend to save himself.

It is time someone else was given their chance.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2009, 11:26 PM
He was absolutely ****ing dreadful, and not for the first time. He's cost us points and games more than once, tonight may not have been his fault mind, but his performance was not good enough. He is slow, has a poor touch, is terrible positionally and cannot defend to save himself.

It is time someone else was given their chance.

Who would you play at left back Si?

Future17
22-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Definitely Nade.

Hanlon is being asked to play his position in a way he's probably never been asked before by pushing forward so much. I think he does the attacking part very well but needs to work on his concentration in defence.

Young players only improve with games and I think Hanlon will get them under Hughes because he sees a player with potential.

borders.cabbage
22-09-2009, 11:27 PM
:crazy:

Zemmama19
22-09-2009, 11:29 PM
nade :blah::blah: some fans just dont have a good football knowledge:agree:

Jonnyboy
22-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Very true and your opening post proved that point very well :wink:

AK86
22-09-2009, 11:32 PM
bang outta order :grr:
he is a young player finding his feet
has played some cracking games, there is no way we can start laying our faults on him.
Dont think for a second that esp. the young players dont read these forums

young players look for help when things are not going right , he was was getting hee haw help tonight. The guy is trying to learn his trade FFS

Si_17
22-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Who would you play at left back Si?

I thought in the early part of last season Ian Murray was exceptional there before he got injured. It may not be his strongest position, but in comparison to Hanlon he is far more assured. I would play him there, however the failure to sign a centre back probably means he will be playing there for the time being.

I don't see what harm giving Stevenson his chance can do. The argument that he can't win a header is meaningless given the fact Hanlon can't either.

Riordans Boots

Behave :rolleyes:

p.s Do you know more than us ??:confused:

blackpoolhibs
I was not at the game tonight, but think Hanlon is one for the future. He is playing now though, and has done ok so far this season. A big problem we have is both full backs are not full backs, and certainly not the kind of full backs that Yogi wants to play his system. Mixu persisted in that bloody stupid diamond formation, i hope Hughes is not going to do the same.

We dont have the players to play 4-3-3, and until such times as we do, we should go to a normal 4-4-2.

Zemmama19
22-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Ok hope you remember this in a couple of years when Hanlon playing for someone like Arbroath:agree:

Jonnyboy
22-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I thought in the early part of last season Ian Murray was exceptional there before he got injured. It may not be his strongest position, but in comparison to Hanlon he is far more assured. I would play him there, however the failure to sign a centre back probably means he will be playing there for the time being.

I don't see what harm giving Stevenson his chance can do. The argument that he can't win a header is meaningless given the fact Hanlon can't either.

Fair points well made :agree:

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 11:35 PM
It wasn't the young players who let us down tonight.

CB_NO3
22-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I agree Hanlon does not have it yet to be first choice left back. I would like to see Hogg come back into centre half (hoping being dropped has gave him a kick up the arse) and bring Murray in at left back. I would also like to see Riordan dropped for the next game, and start either Galbraith or Benji.

JHanlon
22-09-2009, 11:54 PM
No relation by the way but I don't see why Hanlon's getting so much stick on here to be honest. Didn't have a good game but made a couple of good tackles and was no worse that certain folk tonight, the most obvious being Bamba who quite obviously didn't want to be there.

Zemmama19
22-09-2009, 11:58 PM
No relation by the way but I don't see why Hanlon's getting so much stick on here to be honest. Didn't have a good game but made a couple of good tackles and was no worse that certain folk tonight, the most obvious being Bamba who quite obviously didn't want to be there.

Ok paul :greengrin

borders.cabbage
23-09-2009, 12:05 AM
You being the prime example.

Paul Hanlon captained the Scotland U18 team and has already been capped at U21 level. Last year he was on a months loan at St. Johnstone, who then tried to extend it. So, Yogi, Derek McInnes and the coaches of our national set up all seem to rate him as a player.

hibsboy90
23-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Ok hope you remember this in a couple of years when Hanlon playing for someone like Arbroath:agree:
Likewise, I hope that you remember this thread if he goes on to bigger and better things, gaining several full international caps and/or moves to a bigger club playing a higher standard of football week in week out.

Did you see his goal against Brechin??

Zemmama19
23-09-2009, 12:23 AM
You being the prime example.

Paul Hanlon captained the Scotland U18 team and has already been capped at U21 level. Last year he was on a months loan at St. Johnstone, who then tried to extend it. So, Yogi, Derek McInnes and the coaches of our national set up all seem to rate him as a player. They, however must be 'tools' like me who need to bow to your superior football knowledge :rolleyes:

Ok you want to go down that route:yawn: Thicot was captain of france under 19s,O'Brien capped by Ireland and murdoch capped by N Ireland. You must be right all superb players:greengrin

On Hanlon though,even for his tender age his defending is naive beyond belief and will never be good enough for hibs only my expert opinion mind due:greengrin

Zemmama19
23-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Likewise, I hope that you remember this thread if he goes on to bigger and better things, gaining several full international caps and/or moves to a bigger club playing a higher standard of football week in week out.

Did you see his goal against Brechin??

I will do dont worry,and yes i did see the goal was well taken but sadly hes not a striker is he?
The problem i have is he is a defender who cant defend.Its his tackling,positioning,passing,strength and heading that are his main downfalls, all very much essential if your going to be a top class defender which hanlon will never be:bye:

monktonharp
23-09-2009, 12:35 AM
POST REMOVED BY ADMINIdont consider myself any better a judge than anyone on here,but,IMHO about Hanlon............he was taken to the cleaners by the Saints right sided players on Saturday and last night he was "all at sea" with his defensive duties,cost us their first goal and had a f/kin stinker,which surely cannot be denied?:cool2:

truehibernian
23-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Hopefully Yogi (if he is true to form) will drop this over rated, under performing excuse of a full back after not only tonight's "performance" but the last few games. McInnes (as at the weekend) got it spot on by targetting the full backs and Hanlon in particular. He put Deuchar on Hanlon tonight, and the only header the young man won all night was one in their penalty box when the linesman had flagged for offside. Poor poor player and he is flattered by these pundits and detractors who think he is a good player. Slow, ponderous, jumps statically, never ever takes a chance going forward, and constantly constantly gets dragged out of position (to the centre half position) and leaves gaps on his own flank. At fault FULLY for all three goals tonight (had the chance to clear the third however again played like a frightened rabbit and fluffed his clearance). Stevenson for me, is the better player, more composed, and better on the deck. An utterly gutless show from all on display but Hanlon will make a player when I become a priest.

Zemmama19
23-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Hopefully Yogi (if he is true to form) will drop this over rated, under performing excuse of a full back after not only tonight's "performance" but the last few games. McInnes (as at the weekend) got it spot on by targetting the full backs and Hanlon in particular. He put Deuchar on Hanlon tonight, and the only header the young man won all night was one in their penalty box when the linesman had flagged for offside. Poor poor player and he is flattered by these pundits and detractors who think he is a good player. Slow, ponderous, jumps statically, never ever takes a chance going forward, and constantly constantly gets dragged out of position (to the centre half position) and leaves gaps on his own flank. At fault FULLY for all three goals tonight (had the chance to clear the third however again played like a frightened rabbit and fluffed his clearance). Stevenson for me, is the better player, more composed, and better on the deck. An utterly gutless show from all on display but Hanlon will make a player when I become a priest.

Well said:thumbsup: someone that understands football finally:agree:

truehibernian
23-09-2009, 01:13 AM
The fact that on Saturday, Grainger from kick off swung an aimless 40 yard ball over towards Hanlon said it all. Weak link, cannot jump, cannot attack a ball, and is slower than a slow thing going foward and defending. Deuchar must have thought it was Christmas the amount of times he was using his body, strength and height against such a lightweight fullback. Fair play to St J and McInnes.....they deserved it, but Hanlon was the weakest of weakest links

Scooter
23-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I feel sorry for him and maccormack they are never full backs they are both centre halfs. Cause maccormack looked lost last night at right back

Steve20
23-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Do you know anything about football? I will bet you right now that in 5 years, Paul Hanlon will be at a bigger club than Hibs.

Steve20
23-09-2009, 06:15 AM

Another one who knows **** all about football I see.

marinello59
23-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Hanlon is what, 19? It seems we pride ourselves on bringing young players though our system to the first team and then can't wait to slaughter them when they get there. We are a strange support at times.

Aldo
23-09-2009, 06:49 AM
We have 2 very young players who are both CH's playing fullback. It takes a bit of time to adjust...especially for McCormack as he has been out of the team for a bit.

I am sure and fingers crossed they will come good.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-09-2009, 07:47 AM
In the first half on Saturday I thought he was really poor and getting done on the overlap by Dave MacKay is not the best thing for confidence. He was not great again last night but I believe he has potential. Actually on Saturday, I thought that Murray would push out to left back second half and Hogg might have come on for the centre.

Sudds_1
23-09-2009, 08:21 AM

....which won't be long by the sound of it since you're clearly already on the altar wine.. :wink:

number 27
23-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I feel sorry for him and maccormack they are never full backs they are both centre halfs. Cause maccormack looked lost last night at right back

The problem is that neither of them will make it at CH if they cannot win a header.

I would take Hanlon out the team for a while to rebuild his confidence because I do think he has a future.

Mccormack would stay in for a short term on a trial basis - start to perform soon or time to go.

euro Hibby
23-09-2009, 08:36 AM
What I don't follow is that both Hanlon and Mccormack are both central defenders but are not so good in the air. Its normal to play them in at full back if they have the necessary mobility and is good for learning the game.

Hanlon will I think be the better of the two eventually.Seems to have more to his game albeit hedid not have a good game last night. Hey but who did in defence !

The board is a whacky place. One minute happy and next suicidal. Yeah it was crap last night but it was to be expected because St Johnstone showed Saturday that they were better than us as a team and that wqas proven last night.

Wrong therefore to blame individuals, you win as a team and you lose as a team !

lapsedhibee
23-09-2009, 12:03 PM
The problem i have is he is a defender who cant defend.Its his tackling,positioning,passing,strength and heading that are his main downfalls, all very much essential if your going to be a top class defender which hanlon will never be:bye:

Ah, the old days. :violin: Nostalgia is such a wonderful thing. I haven't read something like this - or, perhaps, exactly this - since we used to have these threads about Whitty.

archiebald
23-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Hanlon. hardly got the best cover with that two in front of him.:confused:

Si_17
23-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Ah, the old days. :violin: Nostalgia is such a wonderful thing. I haven't read something like this - or, perhaps, exactly this - since we used to have these threads about Whitty.

Whittaker was and is ten times the player Hanlon is.

lapsedhibee
23-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Whittaker was and is ten times the player Hanlon is.

Whether he was or he wasn't, the threads are similar. Which suggests to me that the threads are more about people's continuing need to moan about players than about the players.

archiebald
23-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Agree :thumbsup: but whittaker did improve as he has done at Rangers :bye:

swazzie
23-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Exactly - it's yet another weakness in this 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 system that we're playing just now

It's also disappointing to see another youngster getting bashed on here. 19 year olds, by and large are going to be inconsistent. It's like Van Zanten/O'Brien/Keenan have gone so people need someone else to have a go at now. For me. PH has already shown enough promise that he'll go on and be a top player for us

Andy74
23-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Exactly - it's yet another weakness in this 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 system that we're playing just now

It's also disappointing to see another youngster getting bashed on here. 19 year olds, by and large are going to be inconsistent. It's like Van Zanten/O'Brien/Keenan have gone so people need someone else to have a go at now. For me. PH has already shown enough promise that he'll go on and be a top player for us

I think he might in time be a good player, but here and now we want to be successful don't we so we should be improving the full back positions.

Byrne might be a good player but I wouldn't play him every week instead of Stokes, Riordan or Benji.

Sean Welsh will probably go on to be a top player but again he'd have to wait behind the likes of Miller, McBride, Cregg etc,

I don't see why the full back positions should be different, we should be looking for a lot better right here and now.

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I think he might in time be a good player, but here and now we want to be successful don't we so we should be improving the full back positions.

Byrne might be a good player but I wouldn't play him every week instead of Stokes, Riordan or Benji.

Sean Welsh will probably go on to be a top player but again he'd have to wait behind the likes of Miller, McBride, Cregg etc,

I don't see why the full back positions should be different, we should be looking for a lot better right here and now.

:top marks Exactly, and if you are going to play a system were your full backs are going to be tested to the max each and every game, perhaps it would be a good idea to have full backs in those positions, not converted centre backs.

RIP
23-09-2009, 01:27 PM
By next season Paul Hanlon will be turning out MOM performances

This season I don't give a hoot about. Perfectly willing to write it off provided we don't get relegated

Which I'm pretty sure wont happen

hibhib7
23-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hanlon has gone back since I first saw him. He seems to have put on weight and lost a bit of pace as a result. His confidence is low and he would probably benefit from being rested for a while. Unfortunately there is no reserve league, so some players will find themselves in limbo. Murray is the best option at the moment - he is Mr Consistent at left-back and that is what we need right now. Stevenson is my second choice.

We are now paying the price for not replacing Jones (should have been a priority) and not bringing in at least one experienced back in the close season.

1987green
23-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Paul Hanlon is a midfielder and always will be he was the best left sided midfielder in Scotland when he played for Hutchie Vale. He was linked with Middlesborough and Ipswich where he went down for a week along with Danny Galbraith and Paul Watson but HE CHOSE HIBS so why not get off the young man's back an give him the support he needs right now. He will be a top player in years to come

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Paul Hanlon is a midfielder and always will be he was the best left sided midfielder in Scotland when he played for Hutchie Vale. He was linked with Middlesborough and Ipswich where he went down for a week along with Danny Galbraith and Paul Watson but HE CHOSE HIBS so why not get off the young man's back an give him the support he needs right now. He will be a top player in years to come

Think that's fair comment. Hanlon's acknowledged that he grew up playing predominantly in midfield. To my mind, I don't see a problem with him playing as a LB pushing up. He's clearly a decent player with a potential and we will see over the next season or two where that potential takes him. He doesn't sound like a daft laddy so he'll know what he needs to be doing.

I'm also sure it doesn't do any harm that he has pressure from below. Callum Booth is deservedly highly-rated at this stage in his career and will be pushing for involvement in the squad I'm sure.

1987green
23-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Think that's fair comment. Hanlon's acknowledged that he grew up playing predominantly in midfield. To my mind, I don't see a problem with him playing as a LB pushing up. He's clearly a decent player with a potential and we will see over the next season or two where that potential takes him. He doesn't sound like a daft laddy so he'll know what he needs to be doing.

I'm also sure it doesn't do any harm that he has pressure from below. Callum Booth is deservedly highly-rated at this stage in his career and will be pushing for involvement in the squad I'm sure.

Agree with your comments but I watched a game at East Mains where we played Livi and Yogi ripped Booth a new erse for basic defending mistakes and being poor in the air Did wonders for his confidence as he then went into a shell and was terrified to get on the ball

Mibbes Aye
23-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Agree with your comments but I watched a game at East Mains where we played Livi and Yogi ripped Booth a new erse for basic defending mistakes and being poor in the air Did wonders for his confidence as he then went into a shell and was terrified to get on the ball

Was that both at the same time or did he separate it :greengrin

Booth's very young but clearly very talented. That's no guarantee, as many have found out.

Is robust critiicism a bad thing? Did it sound unfair? What sort of thing was being said?

Hibs Spain
23-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Seen him a few times too many now,he was dreadful tonight gets caught out time and time again and his positioning is shocking.:bitchy: The guy is just never going to be good enough am afraid,wouldnt be surpirsed to see him joining Mcneil in the lower leagues soon, because his defending belongs their:agree:He's not good enough yet.If he's not good enough in a years time I think you're right,he'll be downgraded.He's a boy and he plays like one. A classic case of the opposite of "If he's good enough he's old enough"

scoopyboy
23-09-2009, 07:57 PM

IIRC Ryan Flynn went to Ipswich at the same time.

PaulSmith
23-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Is it only me that finds the abuse that our own young players receive on here an absolute disgrace and actually quite sad after a few poor performances. It is probably the same posters that were going ape at the prospect of McCormack joining Celtic and Hanlon being linked with a move away whilst he was playing with St Johnstone.

How about a novel idea that we actually support these young guys through thick and thin at the beginning of their career.

The Harp Awakes
23-09-2009, 08:39 PM
There's not much gets me :grr: but threads like this do.

Hanlon is a decent young full back who's form been inconsistent in the opening games of the season. Yogi to his credit gives the youngsters a chance and the lad will improve given a run in the team. I can see him being another young player who will make the big time in years to come. Hibs fans really need to get off the players and Manager's backs - we've only played 5 league games FFS and even though the performances haven't been great, we're still in a decent position in the league.

Cabbage1875
23-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Jeez, if anyone didnt deserve a thread like this it would be Paul Hanlon. He is a young boy, still learning the game, and gets absolutely no support from a left midfielder. I blame Yogi for this as the shape of the team is all wrong at the moment, but that's another story... :duck:

Paul's positioning could do with brushing up but to ask a boy playing out of his natural comfort zone to be a marauding full back with little to no support is unreal for me, and also applies to McCormack on the other side.

Hanlon hasn't even been playing that badly despite all that imo. :bitchy:

He is a player with great potential and just needs a bit of support to make him develop that wee bit more.

Tomsk
23-09-2009, 09:45 PM
There's not much gets me :grr: but threads like this do.

Hanlon is a decent young full back who's form been inconsistent in the opening games of the season. Yogi to his credit gives the youngsters a chance and the lad will improve given a run in the team. I can see him being another young player who will make the big time in years to come. Hibs fans really need to get off the players and Manager's backs - we've only played 5 league games FFS and even though the performances haven't been great, we're still in a decent position in the league.

Yup. It's the same stuff we've been hearing about the likes of Thomson, Whitaker and Fletcher for years. As the old song goes, 'You donno what you've got till it's gone'.

Shrekko
23-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Hibs fans are making ER a hugley difficult environment for players to thrive in IMO.

The manager is 'under achieving' after 6 games apparently. The players are all rubbish, with young guys 19 years old being written off.

It's embarrassing to say the least... and Paul Hanlon is a good player.

Cabbage1875
23-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Hibs fans are making ER a hugley difficult environment for players to thrive in IMO.

The manager is 'under achieving' after 6 games apparently. The players are all rubbish, with young guys 19 years old being written off.

Correct. :top marks

We need to start pulling our weight as well, Easter Road (and even the away games) has become a morgue in recent times. Less negative vibes and a bit more positivity might actually help :greengrin

The_Horde
24-09-2009, 02:48 AM

Well said, that man.

gunnerhibee
24-09-2009, 05:14 AM
the lad's young and is being played out of position.
F'hing hell, you'd think the rest of the team were playing brilliant football but you pick on this guy in particular.
Lay off the boy and get behind the whole team - no individual is to blame for the keech we've been playing this season.
Of course, everyone's entitled to their 'OHO'....Sometimes ONE should keep ONE's opinions to ONEself.....

Andy74
24-09-2009, 08:22 AM
the lad's young and is being played out of position.
F'hing hell, you'd think the rest of the team were playing brilliant football but you pick on this guy in particular.
Lay off the boy and get behind the whole team - no individual is to blame for the keech we've been playing this season.
Of course, everyone's entitled to their 'OHO'....Sometimes ONE should keep ONE's opinions to ONEself.....

I think most people are acknowledging that he will probabaly be a good player, but the team needs a better and more experienced left back just now if we are to achieve what we want to achieve.

Chucking in kids and letting them develop is all well and good but at some stage we need to progress and win things.

As I said above we wouldn't be playing Byrne every week just now just because he'll be good at some point as we have Riordan, Stokes and Benji.

We should equally have the same sort of quality at full backs.

I think you should keep in perspective what people are saying, apart from the odd post we just think at this stage we should be looking for better if we are to actually move on.

TornadoHibby
24-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I think most people are acknowledging that he will probabaly be a good player, but the team needs a better and more experienced left back just now if we are to achieve what we want to achieve.

Chucking in kids and letting them develop is all well and good but at some stage we need to progress and win things.

As I said above we wouldn't be playing Byrne every week just now just because he'll be good at some point as we have Riordan, Stokes and Benji.

I think you should keep in perspective what people are saying, apart from the odd post we just think at this stage we should be looking for better if we are to actually move on.

Whilst I agree with what you say Andy, I find some of the stomach curdling posts such as "Hanlon's not good enough" absolutely over the top and wholly and totally unjustifiable by any stretch of any reasonable person's imagination having watched the lad play several times! :confused:

I sometimes wonder if some of those posting guff such as that actually understand any of the laws or rules of the game or basic tactics and player's skills and abilities as the content of some posts and, for that matter, screams and shouts at matches are often beyond belief! :grr:

Oh aye, and for "Hanlon" you can substitute the name of virtually every player who has played in the Hibs first team so far this season as much of the same and sometimes far worse has been said about everyone of them almost without exception and that has had the effect for me of simply deciding not to reply to or comment on such posts as they are not worthy of serious debate IMHO! :grr:

Phil MaGlass
24-09-2009, 08:44 AM
cannae believe were getting on the back of a young boy who has only just stepped up to the first team, hes had a few games and is being asked alot of,ffs, gie the guy a break,these are the players of the future and Yogi will use them when he sees fit.Remember he is young, and is playing guys who have been pros for a number of years,not every young player will step up straight away.No sense giving him a hard time as that will do nothing for his confidence either.We have been through years of turmoil,there is light at the end of the tunnel,gie the young boys time. Like Deeks we always get on his back and he always ends up producing the goods.We have young players who can become good/great players, GIVE THEM TIME.
OH AYE, I have also done my share of giving them a hard time but then its pointed out to me or I suddenly remember they are young lads,which is easily forgotten since one or two sometimes look 24.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I said as much this time last year over several players, but you told me we could not afford them
And again

We dont want to end up like leeds united
:agree: :top marks

18/03/07
24-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Hanlon is a good player and I for one would like him to stay in the team for Saturday,is this not the same player a few weeks ago who done a job keeping Mcgeady quiet along with McCormack keeping Maloney quiet just a couple weeks ago.

J-C
24-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Here we have another example of a manager playing a player out of position, McCormack on the right, Stevenson in midfield when he's a left back, Bamba at ch when he was outstanding in midfield.

Having utility players is handy but surely we need to be playing these guys in their proper positions.

Andy74
24-09-2009, 09:03 AM
:agree: :top marks

I've always said we shouldn't be paying more than we can afford, that's all. If we can afford to sign players then the more the merrier for me.

We have brought in players, and some real good ones, and we've also let go an awful lot, with many being top earners.

I think Hughes probably has tried to bring people in at the back but hopefully we are waiting on better quality being available.

In the meantime I agree with those who say that Hanlon, at this stage, isn't going to help us get where we want to be and we'll see an awful lot of performances like the other night with the full backs we are playing in this formation.

archiebald
24-09-2009, 02:17 PM
intresting Barr back at center/half last night,if he is waiting on someone.
ps every body get of kids backs-other teams kids dont get this stick.:top marks

ahibby
25-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Hanlon is a good player IMO with loads of potential, he is still young and not all that experienced and will therefore not be consistent. He has lapses in defending and might be better in midfield left for a short spell but there is too much midfield competition for him as things stand, so left back or the bench for him.

mim
25-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't get to too many games, but I saw Hanlon's debut against ICT last season and he was absolutely outstanding. I've also seen him playing for Scotland and noone should doubt his potential for one second.
He needs to play in order to develop and I confidently predict that the lad will become a great player for us and move on to higher things.

dirtydirk
25-09-2009, 11:13 AM
We have produced some of the best youth players in Scotland over the last 10 years and alot of this is down to the fact that our club and its fans are prepared to give players a chance to prove themselves and get better the more games they play
(I cant remember being overly flattered when Kevin Thomson and Steven Whittaker broke through. I can also remember Kenny Miller being completely awful in the 1st division before taking the SPL by storm.

Hanlon was linked with Liverpool last season so he hasn't became a bad player in the space of a few games.

I for one would be quite happy for him to keep getting played as I think he is only going to get better and better (providing his confidence doesn't go to pot, which I think the fans could have a real influence in this, and coming out with things like - "he will be playing for Arbroath in a couple of seasons" aint going to help.

benrocky
25-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Personally I think you lot that are on the back of young Hanlon want to take a good look at your comments as they are the biggest load of rubbish I have read for a long time.

If you put as much effort into cheering on the team during the matches that you do slavering the p-ss you do on this site we may have somthing worthy of sending in other than this endless crap.:duck:

stowhibby
25-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I think people are being far too harsh on Hanlon. He's a centre half who is being asked to play left back just now. not only that but who is in front of him giving him support, I can't remember the last time we had an actual left winger at the club (im definitely not including o'brien) & since Cregg has stopped playing I feel we've lacked a bit of battle in midfield.

JimBHibees
25-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't get to too many games, but I saw Hanlon's debut against ICT last season and he was absolutely outstanding. I've also seen him playing for Scotland and noone should doubt his potential for one second.
He needs to play in order to develop and I confidently predict that the lad will become a great player for us and move on to higher things.

Totally agree he is a player but obviously needs time to develop. No doubt he will go on to have an excellent career with Hibs and beyond.

Franck Stanton
25-09-2009, 01:47 PM
At last, someone talking sence, frequently, [almost always ] Hanlon is left to try and mark two oppossing players as our left sided midfield player [ who ? ] has once again went walkabout and can be found daydreaming in the centre of the pitch.
In my opinion there are a lot worse players on the pitch than Hanlon - Rankin for one [ just what does he offer to the team?].
Yogi must start playing players in their correct positions ie Miller - when exactly did he become a central midfield player? At smeltic he was outstanding as a RIGHT sided wingback and his performances to date, [ albeit it's early days], in a Hibs jersey haven't exactly set the heather on fire.
As for tomorrows game against Motherwell I think changes both to personnel and formation are required. My selection would be :-
{ 4-4-2 formation}
STACK

WOTHERSPOON HOGG THICOT MURRAY

MILLER ZEMMAMMA BAMBA GALBRAITH

STOKES RIORDAN

Subs ;- Hanlon, Byrne, Makka, Stevenson,Cregg

And before anyone jumps in - yes I have dropped Hanlon, mainly because I think the boy needs breathing space to get some confidence back. Especially away from home during this trying time we have put ourselves into feel we need to play our more experienced players weherever possible.
My prediction for tomorrows game - if we play a team along the lines above - 2-1 to the Hibbies

Andy74
25-09-2009, 01:59 PM
At last, someone talking sence, frequently, [almost always ] Hanlon is left to try and mark two oppossing players as our left sided midfield player [ who ? ] has once again went walkabout and can be found daydreaming in the centre of the pitch.
In my opinion there are a lot worse players on the pitch than Hanlon - Rankin for one [ just what does he offer to the team?].
Yogi must start playing players in their correct positions ie Miller - when exactly did he become a central midfield player? At smeltic he was outstanding as a RIGHT sided wingback and his performances to date, [ albeit it's early days], in a Hibs jersey haven't exactly set the heather on fire.
As for tomorrows game against Motherwell I think changes both to personnel and formation are required. My selection would be :-
{ 4-4-2 formation}
STACK

STOKES RIORDAN

And before anyone jumps in - yes I have dropped Hanlon, mainly because I think the boy needs breathing space to get some confidence back. Especially away from home during this trying time we have put ourselves into feel we need to play our more experienced players weherever possible.
My prediction for tomorrows game - if we play a team along the lines above - 2-1 to the Hibbies

I don't believe Miller was ever a right wing back.

Hiber-nation
25-09-2009, 02:03 PM

I certainly can't remember him playing there for celtic - always centre mid.

As for Paul Hanlon, I suppose he's just one of about 14 scapegoats at the moment. Why anyone would single him out though and say he'll never be good enough is quite bizarre.

el capitano
25-09-2009, 02:28 PM
what a crazy thread, if he was playing in another team would the same people that are saying he is not good enough be shouting for us to sign him as he looks to have a good future ahead of him.
im sure they would after reading this

basehibby
25-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Personally I think you lot that are on the back of young Hanlon want to take a good look at your comments as they are the biggest load of rubbish I have read for a long time.

If you put as much effort into cheering on the team during the matches that you do slavering the p-ss you do on this site we may have somthing worthy of sending in other than this endless crap.:duck:

:top marks
OP guilty of slavering pish - Hanlon may have had a bad game on Tue but he's very much a work in progress - he may or may not go on to be a very good player, but to write him off at this stage is the work of an :asshole: :bye:

Speedway
25-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Correct. :top marks

We need to start pulling our weight as well, Easter Road (and even the away games) has become a morgue in recent times. Less negative vibes and a bit more positivity might actually help :greengrin

Well said, that man.

Do you guys fancy making your thoughts known on the Gannon-Hughes thread? :duck:

dangermouse
25-09-2009, 03:22 PM
{ 4-4-2 formation}
STACK

STOKES RIORDAN

And why only 5 subs? :confused:

JimBHibees
25-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Certainly played right midfield though maybe his best position. Not sure we shouldnt be putting Cregg back in for a bit of dig with Miller wide right though.

Rasta_Hibs
25-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Absolute garbage IMO!!!

I think Hanlon has lots potential and is a great prospect and i fully believe with the backing of the fans and manager he will go on to have a great career at both Hibs and his step up in the game!

I'm disgusted with the attitude towards our young players by a few posters and giving them insults its just plain wrong and counter productive for Hibs and the player!

If we cant back our young players then i dont know where we are going as a Hibs support?

Thankfully the more intelligent and football minded posters have backed Hanlon and i do also!

Mon Hanlon show people like this for what they are and thats clueless!

fife hfc
25-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Both full backs are left exposed with no cover in front of them. If we play a solid 4-4-2, McCormack and hanlon will not be left with two opponents overloading on them. They are young and inexperienced and Yogi's formation is highlighting this fact.

also to the poster above who said hanlon could not win a header in the air against Deauchar well bamba and Murray also failed to do so.

Jones28
25-09-2009, 09:50 PM

UTTER pish

benrocky
25-09-2009, 10:49 PM
UTTER pish

:top marks