PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from tonight

DaniAndersson
22-09-2009, 09:51 PM
First off, Yogi needs to apportion a lot of the blame to himself. We were exceptionally lucky to take anything from the weekend's game, so why play the same system and team? We were ripped apart then and the same happened tonight. Secondly, the substitutions. Why take off McCormack? Wotherspoon isn't a right back and they exploited that. Just bring Zemmama on for Wotherspoon - there's no time for favourites in this game. Stokes, who had a decent enough game, was knackered. Bring on Benji. You need to improve Mr Hughes.

Graham Stack is no better than Yves Ma-Kalambay. The long ball that he completely ballsed up in the first half was horrendous. He's a vampire, rooted to line throughout. He spills shots. Either hold them or push them away. The third goal came, albeit indirectly, from a fumble. His distribution is terrible. I don't care if he's got a boot the size of Bigfoot's, there's no point hoofing it down the middle to Stokes. Ma-Kalambay can make a mistake - all goalkeepers do - but he's good with cross balls and he's more likely to pull out a world-class save than Stack is.

4-4-2 is an absolute must. We need a bit of width as another option. Galbraith/Rankin and Zemmama/Wotherspoon can play as wingers, so use them there. It helps protect the defence and makes the centre of midfield less congested.

We need to stop selecting so many of the same players. Rankin and McBride are too similar. Liam Miller is our best central midfielder - find a partner for him. I don't care if that man is Cregg, McBride, Rankin, Stevenson, Thicot, Bamba or bloody ET. just find someone who compliments and works well with him in the centre. At Celtic, he was played in a 4-4-2. No surprise he played his best football there.

A change is needed at penalties. I love Riordan but you can't miss two on the trot. Next please.

Finally, no complaints about the result. The better team won. They worked their socks off and deserve to be in the quarter finals. Good luck to them.

The Harp Awakes
22-09-2009, 10:10 PM
First off, Yogi needs to apportion a lot of the blame to himself. We were exceptionally lucky to take anything from the weekend's game, so why play the same system and team? We were ripped apart then and the same happened tonight. Secondly, the substitutions. Why take off McCormack? Wotherspoon isn't a right back and they exploited that. Just bring Zemmama on for Wotherspoon - there's no time for favourites in this game. Stokes, who had a decent enough game, was knackered. Bring on Benji. You need to improve Mr Hughes.

Graham Stack is no better than Yves Ma-Kalambay. The long ball that he completely ballsed up in the first half was horrendous. He's a vampire, rooted to line throughout. He spills shots. Either hold them or push them away. The third goal came, albeit indirectly, from a fumble. His distribution is terrible. I don't care if he's got a boot the size of Bigfoot's, there's no point hoofing it down the middle to Stokes. Ma-Kalambay can make a mistake - all goalkeepers do - but he's good with cross balls and he's more likely to pull out a world-class save than Stack is.

4-4-2 is an absolute must. We need a bit of width as another option. Galbraith/Rankin and Zemmama/Wotherspoon can play as wingers, so use them there. It helps protect the defence and makes the centre of midfield less congested.

We need to stop selecting so many of the same players. Rankin and McBride are too similar. Liam Miller is our best central midfielder - find a partner for him. I don't care if that man is Cregg, McBride, Rankin, Stevenson, Thicot, Bamba or bloody ET. just find someone who compliments and works well with him in the centre. At Celtic, he was played in a 4-4-2. No surprise he played his best football there.

A change is needed at penalties. I love Riordan but you can't miss two on the trot. Next please.

Finally, no complaints about the result. The better team won. They worked their socks off and deserve to be in the quarter finals. Good luck to them.

Agree with most of that but I think you and many others on here are giving Stack a hard time too soon. No chance with any of the goals tonight and made a few decent saves. The defeat was nothing to do with the goalkeeper.

I think Yogi basically lost us the game due to his team selection and formation. He didn't learn any lessons from Saturday. St Johnstone played very well, won all the battles and basically outfought us in almost every position. Cregg is one of the few battlers we have in the team (even though he's another midget) and I'd like to know why he wasn't even on the bench tonight:confused:

It's getting a bit concerning how we're being brushed aside by teams who are likely to finish in the bottom 6 but who work harder and are more physical (St Johnstone twice and Hamilton).

Early days and a lot for Yogi to learn and put right, but far too soon to start pressing the panic button.

Mag7
22-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Agree with most of that but I think you and many others on here are giving Stack a hard time too soon. No chance with any of the goals tonight and made a few decent saves. The defeat was nothing to do with the goalkeeper.

I think Yogi basically lost us the game due to his team selection and formation. He didn't learn any lessons from Saturday. St Johnstone played very well, won all the battles and basically outfought us in almost every position. Cregg is one of the few battlers we have in the team (even though he's another midget) and I'd like to know why he wasn't even on the bench tonight:confused:

It's getting a bit concerning how we're being brushed aside by teams who are likely to finish in the bottom 6 but who work harder and are more physical (St Johnstone twice and Hamilton).

Early days and a lot for Yogi to learn and put right, but far too soon to start pressing the panic button.

On recent evidence Hibs are likely to finish in the bottom six.

The Harp Awakes
22-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Great, another 3 games (at least) to look forward to against St Johnstone then:boo hoo:

Speedway
22-09-2009, 10:19 PM

And then relegation and then bust with any luck.

That way the 'fans' can .... off to tynecastle and whinge at them.

Green-Hibee-7
22-09-2009, 10:20 PM
From the evidence of tonights game, we will be lucky to even scrape a top six place. Passing was woeful, defence and midfield non existent and lazy performance by our forwards. Performance merited the boo's at the end

stubru59
22-09-2009, 10:37 PM
We were poor tonight. Our midfield seemed to consist of players there to make up the numbers.

Poor team selection given we were murder on Saturday. Passing was dreadful and any spark or creativity we have was left sitting on the bench.

Defensively we were all over the place. To miss a penalty, which would have given us an undeserved lead, says it all.

Hughes now needs to make changes. We have heard the talk of fluid passing movements.

This now needs to be put into practice.