PDA

View Full Version : Bamba / Rankin

lyonhibs
22-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Distribution - at best mediocre, at worst absolutely lethal (against us).

Concentration - terrible - constantly wandering about chasing balls that were never his, such a misjudgement played a big role in the lead up to their equaliser.

Heading - usually his strong point, but he was dominated by Kenny Deuchar, and seemed - like the rest of the team bar Murray - completely reluctant to get tight and put a foot in where it hurts.

Maybe it was just a bad day at the office for him, but his distribution in particular was worrying, although that is clearly a real issue for any midfield role as well.

Unless he bucks up his ideas, I can see Murray's partner at CB becoming a real problem position, as Hogg has hardly inspired confidence in any of the above categories either :agree: :agree:

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Not to worry, he's signing for the 'pool next week! :greengrin

Bayern Bru
:top marks

Couldn't have put it better myself. A shadow of his performance on Saturday, which leaves me wondering - which is the 'real' Bamba? The win-everything player from Saturday? Or the virtual imposter of tonight?

Mind you, Hogg's hardly a replacement.

hibee_girl
Distribution - at best mediocre, at worst absolutely lethal (against us).

Concentration - terrible - constantly wandering about chasing balls that were never his, such a misjudgement played a big role in the lead up to their equaliser.

Heading - usually his strong point, but he was dominated by Kenny Deuchar, and seemed - like the rest of the team bar Murray - completely reluctant to get tight and put a foot in where it hurts.

Maybe it was just a bad day at the office for him, but his distribution in particular was worrying, although that is clearly a real issue for any midfield role as well.

Unless he bucks up his ideas, I can see Murray's partner at CB becoming a real problem position, as Hogg has hardly inspired confidence in any of the above categories either :agree: :agree:

GlesgaeHibby
22-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Two players who I am normally impressed with had absolute stinkers tonight. Worst players on the park by a long way.

Bamba couldn't find a Hibs man, and won 1 header all night. Absolute stinker.

Rankin, apart from a saving tackle from another of Bamba's horrendous passes did nothing all game. As usual he ran about plenty, but his movement was poor, passing awful.

Expect much better from those two, although after a performance like that it's not fair to lay all the blame with them, as nobody deserved pass marks after that.

Hibbie_Cameron
22-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Excellent post. He is never a centre half in a million years

Speedway
22-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, they're all crap, they should be burned in a ritualistic ceremony...on a hill. Who is with me?

GlesgaeHibby
22-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, they're all crap, they should be burned in a ritualistic ceremony...on a hill. Who is with me?

Haha I'll just hope for a big reaction and improvement for Motherwell on saturday.

MussyHibby
22-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Tonight though, it was a shocker.

However, to say he aint a CH, when last year he wasn't a RB nor a midfielder, is just ludicrous. The big man will bounce back. I take it we've forgotten the great equaliser at Falkirk that lead to our 2nd half recovery, the fantastic performances agians Celtic and St Mirren.:confused:

On a sorry night, let's keep the heid!

FRes Hibbie
22-09-2009, 10:41 PM

However, to say he aint a CH, when last year he wasn't a RB nor a midfielder, is just ludicrous. The big man will bounce back. I take it we've forgotten the great equaliser at Falkirk that lead to our 2nd half recovery, the fantastic performances agians Celtic and St Mirren.:confused:

When did anyone say he wasn't a midfielder? By all accounts he was excellent there last season.

Captain Trips
22-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I think Rankin is a poor act always have done, a few good games at end of last season never masked the games that went before. Poor act.

Sergio sledge
22-09-2009, 10:56 PM
When did anyone say he wasn't a midfielder? By all accounts he was excellent there last season.

excellent standing 5 yards on front of the defence making tackles and breaking up play, if we want a midfield like last season which sits deep defending constantly and lumping it up the field, then bamba is great, but if we want a midfield who can actually pass the ball, a midfield with awareness and ability to start attacks, then bamba isn't the answer.

Not that our midfield is much better at the minute anyway mind you!

Speedway
22-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Until he tried to pass the ball that is.

Judas Iscariot
22-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Bamba had a poor night whereas Rankin is, by far, the worst player in our whole squad..

Couldn't hold down a place at Caley but somehow manages to be a guaranteed starter for us..

No wonder we're over run in midfield..

Big90inOz
23-09-2009, 12:38 AM
We are desperate for a "presence" in the middle of the park, we have next to no chance of winning anything in the air.

Bamba in midfield covers a lot of ground and breaks up the other teams play, i have lost count of the hurried misplaced pass which has resulted just because of the pressure Bamba can put on the other team.

At the moment everything we clear comes straight back to us as we have no arial presence in the middle, same when we are on the attack and they clear.

I feel we are living off scraps for most of the game due to our vertically challenged midfield.

The_Horde
23-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Bamba had a poor night whereas Rankin is, by far, the worst player in our whole squad..

Couldn't hold down a place at Caley but somehow manages to be a guaranteed starter for us..

I agree that Rankin is poor. But i think Mcbride is the major weak link in there against teams like St Johnstone, always moves at snail pace and, although he reads the game, well he isn't fast enough to get there and he wins us nothing in the air.

Good against the teams who are interested in playing football against us, but against the teams who are up for a fight and are constantly pressing he is murder.

We are desperate for a "presence" in the middle of the park, we have next to no chance of winning anything in the air.

Bamba in midfield covers a lot of ground and breaks up the other teams play, i have lost count of the hurried misplaced pass which has resulted just because of the pressure Bamba can put on the other team.

At the moment everything we clear comes straight back to us as we have no arial presence in the middle, same when we are on the attack and they clear.

I feel we are living off scraps for most of the game due to our vertically challenged midfield.

I agree, the sooner we get Bamba back in midfield the better. :agree:

And if not, then go 4-4-2 and get the CB's picking up the forwards and let the midfield pick any scraps, rather than Mcbride picking up Kenny Deuchar! (what was that all about btw).

persevere1875
23-09-2009, 08:32 AM

Couldn't have put it better myself. A shadow of his performance on Saturday, which leaves me wondering - which is the 'real' Bamba? The win-everything player from Saturday? Or the virtual imposter of tonight?

Mind you, Hogg's hardly a replacement.

Has anyone questioned wether or not Hoggs sudden loss of confidence and form is directly equated to the Bamba brilliant one minute, shocking the next scenario, If your a CB and you have no confidence in the man next to you being consistent from one match to the next or one training session to the next coupled with the added pressure of being captain (A decision which I have to say mystified me, cant see how you can look past Murray) would that perhaps have a direct influence and effect on your own game ?? Just raising the question, perhaps a Murray / Hogg partnership is worth a try and then Bamba's free to occupy the midfield job so many people think he's worth of.

Hibs7
23-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Has anyone questioned wether or not Hoggs sudden loss of confidence and form is directly equated to the Bamba brilliant one minute, shocking the next scenario, If your a CB and you have no confidence in the man next to you being consistent from one match to the next or one training session to the next coupled with the added pressure of being captain (A decision which I have to say mystified me, cant see how you can look past Murray) would that perhaps have a direct influence and effect on your own game ?? Just raising the question, perhaps a Murray / Hogg partnership is worth a try and then Bamba's free to occupy the midfield job so many people think he's worth of.

Good shout, with Bamba in front of these two any mistakes he makes should be capable of dealing with by Hogg and Murray. Plus he can then get stuck in and do what he is good at ...... breaking opposition play up.

HFC 0-7
23-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I think Bamba needs to be out of defence pronto. When Mccann is fit I would give him a shot at right back and maybe try McCormack in the central defence with hogg. I think McCormack is a CB? Anyway I think it would be easier for him as he looks uneasy hugging the touchline and seems to havean urge to pull back in at times which makes there wingers get in behind. Stick Bamba in midfield playing just behind Miller Mcbride and Wotherspoon. With Stoke and Riordan up front.

Maka / Stack

Mccann McCormack Hogg Murray

Bamba

Wotherspoon McBride Miller

Stokes Riordan

MoantheCabbage
23-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Thats exactly what I think, great post.

Hogg was our player of the year last year and he doesnt become a bad player over night. When he was partnering Jones, Hogg was there to sweep everything up as his positional sense is excellent. When you put Bamba in there who tends to be all over the back line and doesnt listen to shouts its very difficult to judge where he might be running to.

Bamba was never a sensation over at Dunfermline through his role at CH and everyone was surprised when Mixu bought him. Now as much as Mixu wasnt a great manager he did see that Bamba's potential was better used in midfield as he has the height, athleticism and speed to win the ball and cover back to break up play, which is why he was becoming a fans favourite last year and getting all the signing talks in the papers.

So in short, get the captain back to defence with Murray and let Bamba play the holding role and I dont think we will be far short of a very good team

skipster7
23-09-2009, 08:52 AM

have to take issue on bamba, havn't missed a game all season and while he sometimes does flashy turns etc away from trouble its usually cause he has got himself in bother in the first place.seems to think he can just clatter through players to get the ball wherever he is on the pitch and dont get me started on his passing.if he remains at CH then we can expect plenty refs to penalise his stupid barging over a player .also on saturday if you watch the highlights he was walkabout for most of their chances.btw yogi critisized him in the celtic game for losing samaras at the goal.CH ? ,not for me.

Juice-Terry
23-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Spot on. Rankin is terrible. Good Heart and engine, but should be nowhere near the starting eleven.

'Mon the Cabbage!

skipster7
23-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Hogg was our player of the year last year and he doesnt become a bad player over night. When he was partnering Jones, Hogg was there to sweep everything up as his positional sense is excellent. When you put Bamba in there who tends to be all over the back line and doesnt listen to shouts its very difficult to judge where he might be running to.

Bamba was never a sensation over at Dunfermline through his role at CH and everyone was surprised when Mixu bought him. Now as much as Mixu wasnt a great manager he did see that Bamba's potential was better used in midfield as he has the height, athleticism and speed to win the ball and cover back to break up play, which is why he was becoming a fans favourite last year and getting all the signing talks in the papers.

So in short, get the captain back to defence with Murray and let Bamba play the holding role and I dont think we will be far short of a very good team
has to be worth a try because the midfield is far too light:agree:

Judas Iscariot
23-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree that Rankin is poor. But i think Mcbride is the major weak link in there against teams like St Johnstone, always moves at snail pace and, although he reads the game well he isn't fast enough to get there and he wins us nothing in the air.

Good against the teams who are interested in playing football against us, but against the teams who are up for a fight and are constantly pressing he is murder.

At least McBride can pass the ball 5 yards to a Hibs shirt and continually doesn't hide or stand 3-4 yards away from a team mate getting in the road like Rankin does..

What does he contribute to the team?

To me, Rankin is the weak link in our team AND squad..

Who else in the SPL would he get a game for?

Nae one..

hibee_girl
23-09-2009, 08:55 AM

:agree:

BroxburnHibee
23-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Shocking display from the both of them. Still can't believe Rankin made it back on to the park after half time.

Definitely a worry.

the happy hibee
23-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I have been saying that rankin is not gd enough since he came too the club and last night just further enhanced what i thought he just does not do enough to warrent a place in the team he cant pass(unless its backwards), he hides when his teamates need an option for a pass and he just runs about like a headless chicken(if i got myself fit i would do that it doesnt mean i am gd enough to play for hibs)!

Broken Gnome
23-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone else think Bamba had vision problems last night? First free kick that came into the Hibs box he was shielding his eyes (floodlights hindering his view) for around half the distance the ball travelled. The proceeded to win hee-haw in the air all night. This after winning pretty much everything in the air on Saturday. Just a semi-plausible excuse for what was frankly an embarassing, laughable performance.

MussyHibby
23-09-2009, 07:05 PM
have to take issue on bamba, havn't missed a game all season and while he sometimes does flashy turns etc away from trouble its usually cause he has got himself in bother in the first place.seems to think he can just clatter through players to get the ball wherever he is on the pitch and dont get me started on his passing.if he remains at CH then we can expect plenty refs to penalise his stupid barging over a player .also on saturday if you watch the highlights he was walkabout for most of their chances.btw yogi critisized him in the celtic game for losing samaras at the goal.CH ? ,not for me.

Not so sure he did, but anyway Samaras goal was fault of Hogg.:agree:

Can't believe the criticism of the big guy, then again a fair few of you did the same with Jones at times last season!

Mixu's Hatrick
24-09-2009, 07:35 AM
A bit late into this discussion, but thought I would add my tuppence worth anyway.

In my opinion Bamba is a must for midfield. He is forever chasing the ball or trying to win headers that can't be won, which lead to him leaving his man and this generally happens in or around our 18 yard box. I've noticed as well that he seems to have more joy against the smaller and sharper forwards as opposed to the more physical type (Courier and Deuchar...I know Deuchar!!!). His great strength is his ability not to be beaten easily on the ground and use his strength to win and retain possession...surely this would be put to better use in midfield as it would give us a platform 25 yards further up the park from which to play from and we would also have the security of 2 CHs behind him. At this moment in time I've noticed that teams are still finding it easy to play through us (as last season) which I think is down to the formation, players not sure of their role and lack of physical presence in midfield..... Up until the Cup game against St Johnstone I would have argued that McBride had been one of our better performers but in my best 11 he would be sacrificed for Bamba in midfield of a flat 4 with 3 chosen from Miller, Cregg, Zemamma and Wotherspoon / Galbraith.

As for Rankin, well to me he is Brian Kerr with a tan...... Another who is magic at running alongside players and being just a yard or so away from having an impact on games......No place for players in my team who tackle like cowards.....Only way you can explain why he goes to ground so early half the time.....

Hoggy? Not having the best start to the season and backs up my theory from last year that one of the main reasons he looked so good to people was becuase he was so busy as we continually gave the opposing team 75% possession (Mixu's recipe for success) and he spent most games defending from 30 yards out... You throw enough buns at a Jambo he'll catch at least one of them.... I'll probably get shot down for this but I would give Thicot a chance alongside Murray....If we persist with Hanlon and McCormack then in my opinion we have sufficient height in our back 4 to accommodate a player who likes to get the ball down and pass it...