PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan...

Cameron1875
22-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Either buck up yer ideas of you'll be benched. When he is good, he's good but if we arent playing well it just highlights how lazy he is. One time in the 2nd the ref gave a corner near the east stand and derek couldnt be ar$ed to jog to other side of pitch so he just sent zemmama. If you dont try there are no rewards and his lack of effort is one of the reasons why he is playing so poor.

Cmon deek, dont want that fud strachan being right about you. He has to improve his attitude. And that goes for the whole team aswell.

I'm_cabbaged
22-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Either buck up yer ideas of you'll be benched. When he is good, he's good but if we arent playing well it just highlights how lazy he is. One time in the 2nd the ref gave a corner near the east stand and derek couldnt be ar$ed to jog to other side of pitch so he just sent zemmama. If you dont try there are no rewards and his lack of effort is one of the reasons why he is playing so poor.

Cmon deek, dont want that fud strachan being right about you. He has to improve his attitude. And that goes for the whole team aswell.

You for real? He was up and doon that left wing all night.
Who usually take them from there when Zouma's on?

Sammy7nil
22-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I am HUGE deeks fan ( 20 stone :thumbsup: )

He has improved his work rate this season but often it would be better if he did not chase as he NEVER tackles so just get out of the way.

His body langauge is terrible and often loks fed up and deflated this must improve.

The real problem is we cannot get the ball to Deeks regularly in the last 3rd of the pitch.

Davy Mac
22-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I think we have bigger issues than Derek Riordan.

Judas Iscariot
22-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Exactly..

I wonder how long before a "Blame Deek" post came up..

NGH
22-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I must have been watching the wrong Riordan.

Alfred E Newman
22-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Exactly. It is rich to pick on Riordan when the defence resembled a comic circus.

Hibbie_Cameron
22-09-2009, 10:01 PM

:top marks

Far far bigger problems

Gatecrasher
22-09-2009, 10:03 PM
i thought he was one of the "better" performances tonight..

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm absolutely ****** ragin at what I watched tonight - but no way was Deek to blame.

Find another scapegoat.

khib70
22-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm absolutely ****** ragin at what I watched tonight - but no way was Deek to blame.

Find another scapegoat.
Oh, no, he never is, is he? :yawn: Second penalty miss on the bounce. Wrong decisions virtually every time. "Can't be ersed" attitude. Anyone else would be hung out to dry, but not Mr Untouchable, eh? Pathetic.

And that doesn't excuse everyone else - the whole team stank the place out.

archiebald
22-09-2009, 10:10 PM
his attitude stinks,lets be honest if he didnt score a few goals we ALLwould be screaming about him.:yawn:

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh, no, he never is, is he? :yawn: Second penalty miss on the bounce. Wrong decisions virtually every time. "Can't be ersed" attitude. Anyone else would be hung out to dry, but not Mr Untouchable, eh? Pathetic.

And that doesn't excuse everyone else - the whole team stank the place out.

Never said he was untouchable - just don't think he needs to be singled out for tonight.

Try and put a point across rather than coming out with p**h like that.

Either that or carry on with the blame game (I'll leave you to it) - some folk are never happy.

his attitude stinks,lets be honest if he didnt score a few goals we ALLwould be screaming about him.:yawn:

But he does - so I'll take his attitude over some others I could mention.

Don't get me wrong nobody comes out with pass marks tonight - but IMO (and others) - there are much bigger problems in the team than him.

Dunbar Hibee
22-09-2009, 10:24 PM
this thread is a joke.. picking out Deek for the teams display is unacceptable :agree: aye he is a moody wee sh*te but he's a player we need in the starting line up.. he makes things happen which is more you can say for a few of the others:rolleyes:

Si_17
22-09-2009, 10:32 PM
this thread is a joke.. picking out Deek for the teams display is unacceptable :agree: aye he is a moody wee sh*te but he's a player we need in the starting line up.. he makes things happen which is more you can say for a few of the others:rolleyes:

He seems to think that he's immune to criticism and can stroll around the pitch doing **** all waving his arms about and moaning at others for his mistakes.

I personally, am sick to death of it.

King Paddy
22-09-2009, 10:37 PM
In a side playing well he is ok. But in this pathetic Hibs team he is no more than a passenger. He in MO has no physicality about him, no great pace and frankly he epitomises the rest of the team garbage.

BroxburnHibee
22-09-2009, 10:44 PM
In a side playing well he is ok. But in this pathetic Hibs team he is no more than a passenger. He in MO has no physicality about him, no great pace and frankly he epitomises the rest of the team garbage.

A passenger!!!!!!! :hilarious This place really cracks me up sometimes - thanks. :aok:

Riordans Boots
22-09-2009, 10:48 PM

:agree: And not worth contributing to.

Ell_Chrisso
22-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Being in the East Stand, closer to the South, im very Close to Riordan and his positioning for the majority of the first half every week.

I have to say, im starting to get P*SSED off with his arrogance to moannnnnnnnnnnnnn about everything, to every player in a Hibs shirt.

if he doesnt get a pass he slightly moves for, he moans..
if he doesnt get his own way, he moans..

HE takes a TWELVE YARD PEN, and still cant put it in the net?

Does anyone moan at him? Maybe they should. Give him a hard time for once, for making HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE mistake at a vital time in a game.

Cant stand the guy when he has his prima dona tag.

Classy finisher, and great to watch when in the mood, but thats not often enough.

Give someone else a shot in the team, that wants to help and contribute. Not spend all game getting on other players back

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 10:49 PM
There was a weird moment in the game when Riordan fought for the ball and won it, passed the ball on to Stokes who then carried it on and back-heeled it thinking Riordan was following up but he wisnae :confused:

MussyHibby
22-09-2009, 10:50 PM

Tonight? Maybe yes, but in general no.

DR needs to do better but then...............

Ell_Chrisso
22-09-2009, 10:52 PM
He seems to think that he's immune to criticism and can stroll around the pitch doing **** all waving his arms about and moaning at others for his mistakes.

I personally, am sick to death of it.

Halllllllellllluuuuujahhhh...

Someone who was actually at the right game tonight, and who sees EXACTLY what happens every week!

No doubt the guy has class, But also lacks any physical ability, no pace and doesnt work hard.

marinello59
22-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Halllllllellllluuuuujahhhh...

Someone who was actually at the right game tonight, and who sees EXACTLY what happens every week!

No doubt the guy has class, But also lacks any physical ability, no pace and doesnt work hard.

Were you at the game on Saturday? Looked to me like he put a lot of work in.

AK86
22-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Like most hibbys , I know that Deek is a class above anything else we have
But his body language is oh so wrong. to the detriment of the team. So many players look up to him, but he seems to think he is too good for them , the team,the club.
His workrate is ok ,his football intelligence is high class as is his skill. He needs to add humility and professionalism to his game/life

marinello59
22-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Like most hibbys , I know that Deek is a class above anything else we have
But his body language is oh so wrong. to the detriment of the team. So many players look up to him, but he seems to think he is too good for them , the team,the club.
His workrate is ok ,his football intelligence is high class as is his skill. He needs to add humility and professionalism to his game/life

Ah,, the body language. Deeks on the pitch is Deeks. We have seen it since he made his first team breakthrough. But when he produces that moment of magic that no other player in the team can would you rather be anywhere else?

Ell_Chrisso
22-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Were you at the game on Saturday? Looked to me like he put a lot of work in.

Yepp i certainly was.
I cant honestly see where this is come from?
Derek Riordan, and hard work rate, dont go together in the same sentance. He thinks he is a guaranteed starter, and strolls about moaning at everyone ALLLLLLL the time.

Its time to take him out of the team, and give someone like Zemmama a chance, who is Hungry to play football.

marinello59
22-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Yepp i certainly was.
Derek Riordan, and hard work rate, dont go together in the same sentance. He thinks he is a guaranteed starter, and strolls about moaning at everyone ALLLLLLL the time.

Its time to take him out of the team, and give someone like Zemmama a chance, who is Hungry to play football.

Do you honestly think DR is not hungry to produce the best he can for Hibs?

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 11:04 PM
He should be made to watch Messi, even though he'll never be him as well as Scotland games even though he'll never play in them and then videos of himself 2 or 3 years ago.

Davy Mac
22-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Yepp i certainly was.

I take it Deeks will not be on your Christmas card list then?:greengrin

NYHibby
22-09-2009, 11:05 PM
One time in the 2nd the ref gave a corner near the east stand and derek couldnt be ar$ed to jog to other side of pitch so he just sent zemmama. If you dont try there are no rewards and his lack of effort is one of the reasons why he is playing so poor.

I don't think you can blame him for not taking that corner. It came right after another corner from the other side. Zemmama tried to take that corner too. It was more of Zemmama wanting to take the corner than Riordan being too lazy to get to the other side of the pitch.

Ell_Chrisso
22-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I take it Deeks will not be on your Christmas card list then?:greengrin

:greengrin LOL!

Hes just soo frustrating to watch at the moment thoo.

He needs to stop moaning at all his team mates. I feel sorry for young Hanlon especially. He has to listen to his P*sh all game!

Hes lucky that he doesnt get stick for making a HUGE mistake tonight which cost us the game really..

Franck is God
22-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Derek Riordan is proabably one of the most talented footballers in Scotland and certainly the most gifted player at ER however he has a terrible attitude and worse work rate.

He is capable of scoring great goals and has the ability to set up others but if you think clearly when was he actually involved in a goal for Hibs from open play? I don't mean taking a corner or free kick I'm talking about him being involved in the build up, finding a nice pass or a good one two that creates space or a chance for another player to score.

To me he is not doing enough to keep his place in the team or if he is to play then Yogi has to treat him as the absolute luxury player and simply build the team around creating space and opportunities for him.

Davy Mac
22-09-2009, 11:17 PM
:greengrin LOL!

Hes just soo frustrating to watch at the moment thoo.

He needs to stop moaning at all his team mates. I feel sorry for young Hanlon especially. He has to listen to his P*sh all game!

Hes lucky that he doesnt get stick for making a HUGE mistake tonight which cost us the game really..

Aye fair doos keep making your point you're entitled too.:thumbsup:

But, IMO Deeks is probably our best player and you know sometimes body language can be misunderstood.

And Derek Riordan is definately misunderstood.

He flings his arms up and down because he does care, we tend to moan about the players who we know can do better and that's why players like Deeks, Bamba etc get a bit of stick because we know they can.

Perspective
22-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I think he sends out the wrong message to everyone at the football club - that indiscipline will be tolerated as longas you score a great goal once in a while.

AK86
22-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Ah,, the body language. Deeks on the pitch is Deeks. We have seen it since he made his first team breakthrough. But when he produces that moment of magic that no other player in the team can would you rather be anywhere else?
You dont need to tell me how good a player Riordan is.
His attitude however stinks, and worryingly it seems nothing or nobody can change that

I believe Deek is the classiest fitba player Scotland has produced for a long time. Where he takes that class is now up to his application. Natural talent , without hard work and humilty , will only get you so far and often not very.

Iain G
23-09-2009, 12:38 AM
And Derek Riordan is definately misunderstood.

He has been misunderstood for 5 or 6 years now, you think someone would have worked him out by now, actually, maybe Strachan did actually work him out... :devil:

The_Horde
23-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Does anybody think Stokes and Riordan are too similar to be a partnership?

Why wasn't Benji on tonight from the start?

Yogi never learned his lesson from last week and that is what cost us tonight IMO.

Riordan needs a big strong/agile striker up beside him to play well IMO.

PS. When at Falkirk, did Stokes challenge for headers?

truehibernian
23-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Spat the dummy out after the penalty miss, so it takes a captain or manager to take a hold of this wee erse in my opinion. WGS was right about him all the way...................undoubted talent but lazy beyond belief and not a team player. Hibs miss experience, guile, and grit. St Johnstone wanted every ball and every second ball.......we had a midfield of not only midgets but players with hearts the size of peas.........Jody Morris (all 5ft 4 of him) ran that midfield from start to finish..........very very sad !!!!

RIP
23-09-2009, 05:56 AM
If Yogi wants fight determination, sprit and leadership from his team he will have to get it from the other ten 'cos he will never get it from Riordan. Hope by the end of the season he proves me wrong but atm it doesn't look likely

However I think Deeks is frustrated 'cos the players aren't doing on the pitch what Yogi sets them up to do in training.

Steve20
23-09-2009, 06:07 AM
I thought Deek actually tried alot yesterday.

It appears to be the new thing to have a go at Deek, though. "Let's put a 20 goal a season player on the bench". :grr:

There are many others that should be chucked before Riordan. In fact, there are not many that wouldn't be.

Beefster
23-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Folk need to learn that, amongst a sizeable portion of the support, Riordan is untouchable irrespective of what he does or doesn't do.

If he had grown up a Hearts fan, we wouldn't be cut so much slack.

HFC 0-7
23-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Think the problem with Deeks, is that he is putting in a lot of effort but just for himself. I think he has been told to put more effort in by Yogi and as a result he is running up and down the pitch more but not doing much. He is not playing for the team in my opinion and this can be seen as he never makes a run across defenders to open the defence up. He is moaning at everyone just now and that must be annoying the other players. I seen stokes and him arguing with each other on Saturday for a good 5 minutes about nothing, back turned to the game. I think that stokes coming has had an adverse effect on him. He used to be the star striker, but now he has competition and it looks like they are both looking out for themselves only. The midfield look as if they are playing for one another, the defence, even although they are shaky are trying to, but up front its every man for himself. Deeks is a good player but he is not good enough to think he can win games on his own every week.

number 27
23-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Riordan was far better last night than almost all his team mates. He was the only one capable of finding a decent attacking pass, he was the only player who could beat a man in attacking areas and his workrate was decent.

Of course he should be taken off penalties but it beggars belief to think that the reaction to last nights horror show should be to take quality out of the team instead of trying to get more in.

Hibs Giant
23-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I am HUGE deeks fan ( 20 stone :thumbsup: )

That's quite funny, my man. We would have understood it was a joke without the smiley though. Spelling it out detracted from a good jape.

Your welcome.

Part/Time Supporter
23-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Riordan should be taken off penalties for sure, his career conversion rate can't be any better than 2/3 (if that).

J-C
23-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I like Deek but do Hibs at this moment in time have room for a player like him.
Yes his work rate has improved a bit and he can still turn on that wee bit of magic now and then but right now I think he's a luxury we can do without at the moment. It amazes me that a guy can score from 25yds in the top corner and from 12 yds in the middle of goals miss twice in a row.

HFC 0-7
23-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I like Deek but do Hibs at this moment in time have room for a player like him.
Yes his work rate has improved a bit and he can still turn on that wee bit of magic now and then but right now I think he's a luxury we can do without at the moment. It amazes me that a guy can score from 25yds in the top corner and from 12 yds in the middle of goals miss twice in a row.

Pressure! I dont think deek deals with it very well. Free kicks, its not taken for granted he will score so he can relax and the bang it in. When he is playing, he is playing with instinct and puts them away. Penalty, one on one? He cant deal with the pressure. he seems to crumble against Hearts as well under pressure, giving away fouls and doing the things wrong. Dont get me wrong, he scored a penalty against hearts, but I think more often than not the pressure gets to him. I though with the arrival of stokes it might take the pressure off him a bit as people would expect things from elsewhere, but I think it has maybe put a bit more pressure on him to show he is the best. He is putting in more effort but I think because he is doing this he is running about and finding himself in the wrong position. When he is lazy, he seems to sit up top and thats where he does his best job, NOT when he is back at the half way line!

erskine-hibby
23-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Derek Riordan does not make the team, but he does score the goals and with out these we would be in a much worse position than we are. It is Yogi's formations that are the problem, as well as our shoddy defence.

HFC 0-7
23-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Here is a stats for you regarding Derek Riordan. (League only

Shots on Goal: - 16 joint top with McGeady
On Target: - 10 Most on target out of the SPL.

I dont think that with these stats he is the player we can leave out!

Hibs as team

Shots on Goal: - 57 4 teams have more or the same, Celtic, Rangers, St Johnstone and Hertz

On Target: 27 8 teams have more or the same

Riordan is clearly a must at the moment!

erskine-hibby
23-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Hibs as team

Shots on Goal: - 57 4 teams have more or the same, Celtic, Rangers, St Johnstone and Hertz

Kind of disproves those who think he is just a luxury player:agree:

That said i think he could do a lot more than he does, but so could many others in the team.

Steve20
23-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Common sense at last. :agree:

GreenPJ
23-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Hibs as team

One other wee stat - Goals 3 (an 18.75% conversion rate).

Its also difficult to compare what say a Benji's stats may look like when he doesn't play.

GreenPJ
23-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Riordan was far better last night than almost all his team mates. He was the only one capable of finding a decent attacking pass, he was the only player who could beat a man in attacking areas and his workrate was decent.

Of course he should be taken off penalties but it beggars belief to think that the reaction to last nights horror show should be to take quality out of the team instead of trying to get more in.

Now you are a funny man. You mean things like his up in the air overhead kick that was nothing but a hit and hope, or maybe you meant the 3 times when he was up against a CH (twice in the first and once in the second) and he ended up cutting back and losing all the momentum that we had.

Deeks may not have been the worst performer but he was nowhere near being one of the best.

People keep on saying he is one of the best players at the club if not the best player at the club, surely then he should be influencing the game more and always be better than his compatriats.

When things were not going for Fletch and he was not getting good service he would drop deeper to try and get the ball to feet. Stokes was also doing that last night to an extent after he was sick of getting towering balls fired at him for most of the first half.

hibee62
23-09-2009, 11:48 AM
For me he has improved his work rate this season but not in the right way. He uses his extra work rate to track back down the left side whereas I would prefer he chased down the defence and tried to win back stray passes instead of moaning at the rest of the team.

Its hard to deny that the big moment of the match yesterday was his penalty miss and had it gone in it could have been a different game. He does need to be taken down a peg or two and told he's not the only player in the team, it would be worthwhile to vary the free kicks and he needs to be shunted off penalties.

With his talent and the right application he should be at least top end of the championship down south by now at least and thats the most frustrating thing. IMO we cant afford the luxury in our team at the moment and I think we should try a different combination upfront.

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 11:50 AM
The thing I find odd about this whole "Riordan is lazy and moody" is that he's just the same now as he's always been! Seems to me that folk are jumping on the lazy/moody bandwagon because it is impossible to criticise him on lack of ability.

In the CIS against St Johnstone he could have had a hat trick. The penalty miss (and I agree he should be relieved of that duty in future) and two other occasions when he had bust a gut to get into a good scoring position only for Stokes to shoot from impossible angles rather than square the ball across goal.

Derek may well be 'lazy' and he's most certainly 'moody' but the team is better for his inclusion IMO

onemcnamara
23-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I thought last night Riordan had one of his better games of the season because most other games he's been a waste of space - St Mirren and Falkirk he was murder - but of course he shoots the critical arguments down by scoring out of the blue even though he's contributed nothing else throughout the game.

Those brief flashes are for me not enough to keep him in the team. I'd rather see us play with a proper partnership up front. Stokes's run to the bye line and backheel to Riordan who was standing watching 30 yards back sums up their "partnership". Why not try Stokes and Benji? Benji is a gifted player as we saw at Hampden, and Stokes at the moment is doing most up front for the team and looking most likely to score. And if we've got Zemmama in the team we have got a creative guy who will do more work than Riordan and can take free kicks.

If it was me I would drop Riordan until he shakes himself. I think we might gain more than we'd lose.

But - he was not the reason we lost last night. Not one player got pass marks last night.

number 27
23-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Now you are a funny man. You mean things like his up in the air overhead kick that was nothing but a hit and hope, or maybe you meant the 3 times when he was up against a CH (twice in the first and once in the second) and he ended up cutting back and losing all the momentum that we had.

Deeks may not have been the worst performer but he was nowhere near being one of the best.

No, I mean things like being the only player all night to play properly weighted passes through the defence. I mean things like being the only player to take his opponent on in a 1 on 1 situation and beat him and I mean things like his consistently taking up good positions to be let down by chronic supply.

He was not brilliant by any means but I cannot imagine who you think was better :dunno:

Is that funny enough for you :confused:

HFC 0-7
23-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Here is another couple of stats. (Stats only look at players with 10 shots or above this season)

Riordan is responsible for 28% of the total Hibs teams shots and 37% of the shots on target. This is the 2nd highest in the league. The highest is Marc-Antoine Courier for both Shots in total and on Target 32% and 41%.

The team with the highest goals to shots ratio is Celtic at 14.46%, Rangers 2nd with 14.08% and Hibs 3rd with 14.04%. Hearts 11th with 7.94% and Falkirk last at 5.56%

The team with the highest goals to shots on target is Motherwell at 37.50% Hibs are 2nd with 29.63%. Hearts are 10th with 18.52%, Falkirk are last with 10.00%

this could all be viewed in a number of ways, should we re sign courier?:greengrin Are Hibs lucky that they are pretty clinical or is that a mark of a good team? One thing is for sure, hearts as a scoring threat are mince!

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Here is another couple of stats. (Stats only look at players with 10 shots or above this season)

Riordan is responsible for 28% of the total Hibs teams shots and 37% of the shots on target. This is the 2nd highest in the league. The highest is Marc-Antoine Courier for both Shots in total and on Target 32% and 41%.

The team with the highest goals to shots ratio is Celtic at 14.46%, Rangers 2nd with 14.08% and Hibs 3rd with 14.04%. Hearts 11th with 7.94% and Falkirk last at 5.56%

The team with the highest goals to shots on target is Motherwell at 37.50% Hibs are 2nd with 29.63%. Hearts are 10th with 18.52%, Falkirk are last with 10.00%

this could all be viewed in a number of ways, should we re sign courier?:greengrin Are Hibs lucky that they are pretty clinical or is that a mark of a good team? One thing is for sure, hearts as a scoring threat are mince!

Do his Dundee stats follow him and are included?

erskine-hibby
23-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Didn't need those stats to convince me:greengrin

Perspective
23-09-2009, 02:05 PM
The thing I find odd about this whole "Riordan is lazy and moody" is that he's just the same now as he's always been! Seems to me that folk are jumping on the lazy/moody bandwagon because it is impossible to criticise him on lack of ability.

In the CIS against St Johnstone he could have had a hat trick. The penalty miss (and I agree he should be relieved of that duty in future) and two other occasions when he had bust a gut to get into a good scoring position only for Stokes to shoot from impossible angles rather than square the ball across goal.

Derek may well be 'lazy' and he's most certainly 'moody' but the team is better for his inclusion IMO

No band-wagon jumping or knee-jerk reactions from me. I didn't want him back at the club when his move was being discussed.

I don't think it is impossible to criticise him on lack of ability. His natural ability isn't in doubt, but there's more to the game than that.

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I'd play Riordan up front, and tell him i dont want him anywhere near our own half, and if he comes in it i would fine him a months wages. I'd also add Stokes in this too.They needs to be sharp, and all this tracking back crap should be done with the other 8 outfield players. Yes shut down the defenders, but Riordan is no use at all for us picking the ball up 35 yards from his own goal.

Hibercelona
23-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought Derek was one of the hardest workers on the pitch last night.

Just my opinion.

basehibby
23-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Talk about knee jerk reactions :rolleyes:

It was a pish performance, with it seems, nothing learnt from saturday - there's still plenty of work to be done and no doubt about it.

But if I had to pick two words from your post that sum up it's overall content then it would have to be pathetic garbage.

500miles
23-09-2009, 08:38 PM
At this moment in time Riordan may be best used as a bit of an impact sub. Stokes has more aggression, will potentially score as many goals, and pressurises defenders more. Put up top with a more physical striker - Nish in this case (Benji has to force his way into the set up to prove he wants to be here), and we can wear down defences before unleashing a fresh Riordan to take advantage. (By the way, if Stokes, at any point in the season, scores more goals than Riordan, watch the latter's workrate go through the roof. I don't think Riordan is too concerned with win bonuses etc. He wants to be top dog. If we can force him to work for that title, then he will strive to attain it.)

In his favour, he is putting more into his game, but he still struggles to compete with bigger players at times.

El Gubbz
23-09-2009, 09:15 PM
My opinion of Deek is that when he's not getting what he wants he dies down and moans, blaming everyone but himself. He also does nothing wrong in the eyes of many Hibs fans, even heard some fans blaming other players for passing a ball a yard ahead of deek who was too lazy to shift his ass...

... but when Deek gets the ball at his feet he is a joy to watch:greengrin

Archie70
23-09-2009, 09:29 PM
There was an incident last night where Deeks ran to shut their goalie down. he started his run at least 20 yards deeper than Stokes and Galbraith and passed them both standing looking on. He was up and down that wing the whole night. Sure his body language looks bad and he looks hacked off at times but how many times did he get a ball fed through to him on the deck compared to hammered at him or punted for him to win in the air. No wonder he looks down. The best players in the world miss penalties. Having a pop at him is clutching at straws when there's far bigger issues needing resolved. Ultimately give him the service and he'll give you the goals.

Sir David Gray
23-09-2009, 10:24 PM
It beggars belief that Derek Riordan gets as much criticism as he does from Hibs fans.

He is practically guaranteed to score 20 goals every single season, he is by far our biggest threat in front of goal and I would say that every other side in Scotland would kill to have Derek Riordan in their team.

I don't think a lot of people realise how fortunate we are to have him.

In terms of his on-field attitude, I don't have a problem with his huffiness, that's just him. He likes a good moan every now and again and he's probably been like that since he was a young boy, he was certainly like that during his first spell at Hibs and it surprises me that so many people seem to be shocked to see him acting like that. It doesn't mean that he's not trying or not focussed on doing well, it just means that he's a moaning sod. :wink:

Cabbage1875
23-09-2009, 10:28 PM
We cannot really afford to drop him, but we must play him as a striker to get the best out of him these days I reckon.

HibbyAndy
23-09-2009, 10:29 PM
It beggars belief that Derek Riordan gets as much criticism as he does from Hibs fans.

He is practically guaranteed to score 20 goals every single season, he is by far our biggest threat in front of goal and I would say that every other side in Scotland would kill to have Derek Riordan in their team.

I don't think a lot of people realise how fortunate we are to have him.

In terms of his on-field attitude, I don't have a problem with his huffiness, that's just him. He likes a good moan every now and again and he's probably been like that since he was a young boy, he was certainly like that during his first spell at Hibs and it surprises me that so many people seem to be shocked to see him acting like that. It doesn't mean that he's not trying or not focussed on doing well, it just means that he's a moaning sod. :wink:

Agreed. :agree:

Riordan will get hibs 15 plus goals this season, ANY team in the SPL would crave this... So please Riordan doubters save me the 'he doesnt work hard enough' utter bullshight posts as he would WALK into any team in the SPL.

Jonnyboy
23-09-2009, 10:31 PM
No band-wagon jumping or knee-jerk reactions from me. I didn't want him back at the club when his move was being discussed.

I don't think it is impossible to criticise him on lack of ability. His natural ability isn't in doubt, but there's more to the game than that.

Is it just the way I'm reading this or do you contradict yourself here?

3pm
23-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Agreed. :agree:

Riordan will get hibs 15 plus goals this season, ANY team in the SPL would crave this... So please Riordan doubters save me the 'he doesnt work hard enough' utter bullshight posts as he would WALK into any team in the SPL.

Hi Andy.

I think this is true - to an extent. If he plays up top then I have no qualms about his workrate. He's such a natural talent it's frightening...he can do what he wants.

However, as a unit we are weaker when he is on the left of a supposed front 3. He causes nowhere near enough damage for a lad of his talent out there and is marginalised. It wouldn't be so bad if he compensated defensively but he offers no protection and the full back, too me anyway, looks to be the one suffering. It's not Derek's fault as you know what he's all about when you pick him (Plus you've no idea what Hughes is telling him as well).

Put him up top Yogi. He's affected, the team is affected, we're affected.

Perspective
24-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Is it just the way I'm reading this or do you contradict yourself here?

His 'natural' ability isn't in doubt for me.

His ability to contribute enough to the team is.

I accept he's trying to chase harder on the pitch, but he's clearly not as fit as he could be so he doesn't have the levels to press or track the way he should. And for those who say he shouldn't have to do any of that anyway, look at Barcelona. You won't find harder working players in the game than their forward line, who pressy and harry all game long high up the pitch. If it's good enough for them...

I'm also sick of him throwing tantrums and moaning the way he does at the likes of Galbraith and Wotherspoon. Given their age and inexperience they need encouragement and positive guidance from the senior players, but the fact is that Riordan is about as immature as anyone in the squad.

When he doesn't score a screamer he contribues nothing. I don't blame him for his penalty misses especially, but so many elements of his game and attitude frustrate me.

lobster
24-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Riordan is one of the most gifted footballers produced in Scotland for years. That is without doubt. Give me him - petulance, nightclubs and fights and all -over an industrious boring twat any day of the week.

Craig_in_Prague
24-09-2009, 11:19 AM
His 'natural' ability isn't in doubt for me.

His ability to contribute enough to the team is.

I accept he's trying to chase harder on the pitch, but he's clearly not as fit as he could be so he doesn't have the levels to press or track the way he should. And for those who say he shouldn't have to do any of that anyway, look at Barcelona. You won't find harder working players in the game than their forward line, who pressy and harry all game long high up the pitch. If it's good enough for them...

I'm also sick of him throwing tantrums and moaning the way he does at the likes of Galbraith and Wotherspoon. Given their age and inexperience they need encouragement and positive guidance from the senior players, but the fact is that Riordan is about as immature as anyone in the squad.

When he doesn't score a screamer he contribues nothing. I don't blame him for his penalty misses especially, but so many elements of his game and attitude frustrate me.

the fact is though, if he didn't have any frustrating elements with his game - He wouldn't be a Hibs player.

As others have said, give me someone like him, bleeds green blood, has plenty ability and talent - over a big lump up front who couldn't lace his boots.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 11:24 AM
the fact is though, if he didn't have any frustrating elements with his game - He wouldn't be a Hibs player.

As others have said, give me someone like him, bleeds green blood, has plenty ability and talent - over a big lump up front who couldn't lace his boots.

:top marks Thinking of anyone? :wink: If we could get the midfield and defence sorted, Riordan and Stokes will score more than any other front 2 in the SPL outside the old firm. Our front two do their jobs, we should be concentrating on whats behind them doing theirs.

IWasThere2016
24-09-2009, 11:26 AM
:top marks Thinking of anyone? :wink: If we could get the midfield sorted, Riordan and Stokes will score more than any other front 2 in the SPL outside the old firm. Our front two do their jobs, we should be concentrating on whats behind them doing theirs.

We also need to stop leaking goals ... especially through the middle and from crosses

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 11:28 AM
We also need to stop leaking goals ... especially through the middle and from crosses

I meant to say midfield and defence, its amended now.:wink:

skipster7
24-09-2009, 11:33 AM
There was an incident last night where Deeks ran to shut their goalie down. he started his run at least 20 yards deeper than Stokes and Galbraith and passed them both standing looking on. He was up and down that wing the whole night. Sure his body language looks bad and he looks hacked off at times but how many times did he get a ball fed through to him on the deck compared to hammered at him or punted for him to win in the air. No wonder he looks down. The best players in the world miss penalties. Having a pop at him is clutching at straws when there's far bigger issues needing resolved. Ultimately give him the service and he'll give you the goals.
:top marksthe service to him and stokes is woeful.when did we expect riordan to be challenging for high ball/goal kicks against a usually much bigger opponent?
the passing to the front 2 is shocking,even chest hight at worst gives them a chance to do something.:agree:

Craig_in_Prague
24-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Derek has said (on official site) he believe this is his best start to a season in terms of goals.
and that's without much service!

Lay off him and question what the likes of Rankin brings to the team, why are we leaking goals, why we have no width etc etc.

Instead of appreciating the talent we have, and IMO strikers that will get +30 goals between them, we mock them :grr:

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Derek has said (on official site) he believe this is his best start to a season in terms of goals.

Lay off him and question what the likes of Rankin brings to the team, why are we leaking goals, why we have no width etc etc.

Instead of appreciating the talent we have, and IMO strikers that will get +30 goals between them, we mock them :grr:

:top marks We have real quality up front, who do their job week in week out, yet want them to scarper back tackling opposition midfielders on the edge of our own 18 yard box, while remaining sharp and in the right positions to exploit our punts up the park from deep.:bitchy:

We may have problems, but they are certainly not with our front two.:bitchy:

HFC 0-7
24-09-2009, 11:45 AM

IMO many players are being asked to play in a position which doesnt best suit. Riordan doesnt like tracking back and defending, he is a 'lazy' player, but when he is lazy and floats about up top he scores goals, sometimes from nothing. The defence is new, and maybe lacks defending abilities, but I dont think it helps when there is only 3 in midfield. a flat 4 in midfield would provide the width we need to stretch the opposition defence and midfield out the width of the pitch. This will make it easier for us to provide ball to feet to Riordan and Stokes in behind their defence. It will also mean that we have enough cover in defensive situations to try and stop the crosses. From what I have seen this season from hibs is that the defence is shaky, but it doesnt have any protection from midfield. We have many talented midfielders, so why not use this to our advantage and put 4 or 5 midfielders on in a game!

In summary, let Riordan be lazy, stick up top and he will give us goals. Stick him on the wing, he will moan, moan and moan, not track back and not get goals. Some players are just not as good when they run about too much!

thilandman
24-09-2009, 11:54 AM
IMHO i think he is one of our worst players:duck:

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 12:08 PM
:faf:
I agree, he is not very good at defending, and he cant tackle at all. Yet scores roughly 20 goals a season. Lets play benji a player who really does not want to be here, or Byrne, a kid who's not scored one SPL goal, or Nish, slower than a week in saughton, couldn't trap a back of cement, cant jump higher than a rizla paper. Yes Riordans one of our worst.

BroxburnHibee
24-09-2009, 01:18 PM

:bye:

Judas Iscariot
24-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Excellent post :top marks

MrRobot
24-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Think we should make major changes for the next match.

Benji upfront with Stokes
Miller Bamba Galbraith and Zemmama in midfield
McCormack Murray Hogg and Stevenson in defence
Maka in goal.

Maka
McCormack Hogg Murray Stevenson
Zemmama Miller Bamba Galbraith
Benji Stokes

Exiled Hibby
24-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I admit he's a lazy, greedy, arrogant wee p***k, BUT he does give us something different. I'm not saying I would always have him in my team, but with the current sqad to me he's got to be a starter.....If he then doesnt deliver, sub him.

A good form Deek has to be worth about 20 goals a season - there arent many others in this country that can do that on a regular basis (except Nade of course)

HFC 0-7
24-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Think we should make major changes for the next match.

Benji upfront with Stokes
Miller Bamba Galbraith and Zemmama in midfield
McCormack Murray Hogg and Stevenson in defence
Maka in goal.

Maka
McCormack Hogg Murray Stevenson
Zemmama Miller Bamba Galbraith

Benji Stokes

Have you seen the stats I have posted in this thread? If you have a look, taking Deek out will make things even worse! Along with leaking goals we will score less!

The_Sauz
24-09-2009, 01:53 PM
When was the last time he scored 20 goals in a season?

Sir David Gray
24-09-2009, 02:02 PM
When was the last time he scored 20 goals in a season?

The last time that he played a full season's worth of games.

Andy74
24-09-2009, 02:07 PM
The last time that he played a full season's worth of games.

Jus to play Devil's advocate here but has Benji had the opportunity to play a full season's worth of games for us? If not, how do you know we would score less goals? It would be interesting to look at the only real stretch he had playing regulalry and see how that would translate to a whole season.

In any case i think it's a good thing we have options.

Exiled Hibby
24-09-2009, 02:07 PM
stats seem to say 20 goals in 05/06, 23 the previous year (all comps)

skipster7
24-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I admit he's a lazy, greedy, arrogant wee p***k, BUT he does give us something different. I'm not saying I would always have him in my team, but with the current sqad to me he's got to be a starter.....If he then doesnt deliver, sub him.

A good form Deek has to be worth about 20 goals a season - there arent many others in this country that can do that on a regular basis (except Nade of course)
do you know him? if not thats a sweeping statement,ive noticed hes up and down the left side more than ever, probably to the detriment of him at the other end.cant remember the jambos giving robbo pelters for not doing a midfielders job.strikers shouldn't have to "track back" if your team is organised properly.

Andy74
24-09-2009, 02:13 PM
do you know him? if not thats a sweeping statement,ive noticed hes up and down the left side more than ever, probably to the detriment of him at the other end.cant remember the jambos giving robbo pelters for not doing a midfielders job.strikers shouldn't have to "track back" if your team is organised properly.

It does depend on the position he's in though, Robbo wasn't often, if ever a wide player in a 3 with some responsibilites for a flank.

That said, I think he has been working in most games as hard as you would want.

skipster7
24-09-2009, 02:18 PM
It does depend on the position he's in though, Robbo wasn't often, if ever a wide player in a 3 with some responsibilites for a flank.

That said, I think he has been working in most games as hard as you would want.
i agree if hes part of a 3 it might be slightly different, but he was part of 2 in the last 2 games and still had to be up &down the left side.dont know where our left back/midfielder were .

Exiled Hibby
24-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I dont know him so if my post offends...sorry. My point is that as a spectator I feel he could do a lot better. I dont expect him to play as an auxilliary full back. I do expect him to give 100% for his tem and not throw his arms up in the air in disgust at less talented team mates efforts.
The guy is superbly talented, I just think he doesnt apply himself as best he could. As I said, he'd still bein my team for what he CAN give to the team, but if it wasnt happening, take him off.

Sir David Gray
24-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Jus to play Devil's advocate here but has Benji had the opportunity to play a full season's worth of games for us? If not, how do you know we would score less goals? It would be interesting to look at the only real stretch he had playing regulalry and see how that would translate to a whole season.

In any case i think it's a good thing we have options.

I think a fit and fully focussed Benji would score close to 20 goals a season.

Unfortunately getting him into that state of mind seems to be a bit of an issue but there is no doubt that he has a lot of talent.

He scored 14 goals in 45 games three seasons ago, which is around a goal every three matches. That is probably the best indication of how prolific he is in front of goal.

hibee62
24-09-2009, 02:45 PM
:top marks We have real quality up front, who do their job week in week out, yet want them to scarper back tackling opposition midfielders on the edge of our own 18 yard box, while remaining sharp and in the right positions to exploit our punts up the park from deep.:bitchy:

We may have problems, but they are certainly not with our front two.:bitchy:

IMHO I don't particularly want to see him or any other striker tracking back. What I want is for him to move more to try and find space and useful positions, to try and make something of bad balls when they don't land exactly where he wants them or to try and win the ball back after he loses it but what he actually does is stick his arms out and moan at the bad pass/lack of support/what he sees as fouls.

For me, once it is into our half the strikers are out of the game but I do expect them to be trying to pressurise the defenders and to work for their space. We all know what Riordan can do when he gets to the ball, I just want to see him making more effort to get on the ball rather than relying on others who may or may not be good enough.

Craig_in_Prague
24-09-2009, 02:51 PM
IMHO I don't particularly want to see him or any other striker tracking back. What I want is for him to move more to try and find space and useful positions, to try and make something of bad balls when they don't land exactly where he wants them or to try and win the ball back after he loses it but what he actually does is stick his arms out and moan at the bad pass/lack of support/what he sees as fouls.

For me, once it is into our half the strikers are out of the game but I do expect them to be trying to pressurise the defenders and to work for their space. We all know what Riordan can do when he gets to the ball, I just want to see him making more effort to get on the ball rather than relying on others who may or may not be good enough.

Although TBH I have seen him trying to chase some balls and hassle defenders, I think him and Stokes are putting in decent shifts of late - But there's no point in them bombing about like loonies, I think the stick deek get's is a tad unfair and it's due to his throwing his arms up etc, that make people think he's lazy, when in truth i don't think he is. Certainly not as bad as people make out.

PaulSmith
24-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Only Hibs fans would moan at having a player like Derek Riordan in their team, other teams fans and managers would bite their hands off to have such a talented goalscorer but we have idiots who moan cause he throws his hands up in the air.

Truely frightening this place sometimes.

ancient hibee
24-09-2009, 03:22 PM
In my humble opinion anyone who thinks you get close to 20 goals a season for Hibs by being lazy knows F A about football.Likewise those that think he should be tearing up and down the wing when his correct position is of course in the middle playing quick one twos.Unfortunately this also seems to be the attitude of the manager as his answer to the abysmal display was that everyone should go out and fight for each other.The fact that there were players all over the pitch playing out of position and that the team had no shape to it seems to have passed him by.

HFC 0-7
24-09-2009, 03:45 PM
In my humble opinion anyone who thinks you get close to 20 goals a season for Hibs by being lazy knows F A about football.Likewise those that think he should be tearing up and down the wing when his correct position is of course in the middle playing quick one twos.Unfortunately this also seems to be the attitude of the manager as his answer to the abysmal display was that everyone should go out and fight for each other.The fact that there were players all over the pitch playing out of position and that the team had no shape to it seems to have passed him by.

I dont think everyone is saying that he is lazy as such. I think what people are trying to get at, is that we would rather he stayed up top rather than running all over the place, which would seem the 'lazy' option.

Although I think some people do think he is very lazy

HFC 0-7
24-09-2009, 03:57 PM
More stats time for those Riordan bashers!

Some strike rates

Derek Riordan @ Hibs First time: Pl:124 Gls: 53 S/R: 42.74%
Derek Riordan @ Hibs 2nd Time: Pl: 37 Gls: 15 S/R: 40.54%

Kenny Miller @ Rangers 1st Time: Pl 29 Gls: 8 S/R: 27.59%
Kenny Miller @ Rangers 2nd Time: Pl: 35 Gls: 12 S/R 34.29%

Kris Boyd @ Rangers..................Pl: 112 Gls: 79 S/R 70.54%

Christian Nade @ Hearts ...........Pl: 60 Gls: 6 S/R 10.00%

Scott Macdonald @ Celtic ......Pl: 73 Gls: 45 S/R 61.64%

Some other Hibs scorers from current and old: -

Nish (50 games, 12 Goals, S/R 24.00%)
Benji (54 Games, 9 Goals, 12 Goals, S/R 22.22%)
Fletcher (152 Games, 41 Goals, S/R 26.97%)
O'Connor (138 Games, 46 Goals, S/R 33.33%)
Kenny Miller (45 Games, 12 Goals, S/R 26.67%)
Lawrie Reilly (253 Games, 185 Goals, S/R 73.12%)

Riordan seems to be pretty good out of that although we should probably try and find someone that could get the sort of strike rate of Lawrie Reilly! :wink:

Latapy1911
24-09-2009, 03:58 PM
was at the cash game at the casino at fountainbridge around midnight

then stokes and riordan walked in and joined in :thumbsup:

woo

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2009, 04:01 PM
More stats time for those Riordan bashers!

Some strike rates

Derek Riordan @ Hibs First time: Pl:124 Gls: 53 S/R: 42.74%
Derek Riordan @ Hibs 2nd Time: Pl: 37 Gls: 15 S/R: 40.54%

Kenny Miller @ Rangers 1st Time: Pl 29 Gls: 8 S/R: 27.59%
Kenny Miller @ Rangers 2nd Time: Pl: 35 Gls: 12 S/R 34.29%

Kris Boyd @ Rangers..................Pl: 112 Gls: 79 S/R 70.54%

Christian Nade @ Hearts ...........Pl: 60 Gls: 6 S/R 10.00%

Scott Macdonald @ Celtic ......Pl: 73 Gls: 45 S/R 61.64%

Some other Hibs scorers from current and old: -

Nish (50 games, 12 Goals, S/R 24.00%)
Benji (54 Games, 9 Goals, 12 Goals, S/R 22.22%)
Fletcher (152 Games, 41 Goals, S/R 26.97%)
O'Connor (138 Games, 46 Goals, S/R 33.33%)
Kenny Miller (45 Games, 12 Goals, S/R 26.67%)
Lawrie Reilly (253 Games, 185 Goals, S/R 73.12%)

Riordan seems to be pretty good out of that although we should probably try and find someone that could get the sort of strike rate of Lawrie Reilly! :wink:

Thats typical of the man, he's out boozing til all hours, he picks fights with people all over town, yet he can only score in roughly 41 percent of the games he plays. Get him tae **** and give us Nish and Benji, 2 players who will set the SPL alight.

punks_jump_up
24-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Either buck up yer ideas of you'll be benched.
Who's going to bench him, you ?
Yogi must have signed up on :hnet: :rolleyes:

BroxburnHibee
26-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Aye right enough he's pish....................I stand corrected

hibee62
26-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Aye right enough he's pish....................I stand corrected

:rolleyes: No one ever questioned his ability it was his workrate and attitude that people were unhappy with. Going by the BBC report tonight it doesn't sound like this was much improved however some people at the game may be able to give better views on this...

skipster7
26-09-2009, 04:50 PM
:rolleyes: No one ever questioned his ability it was his workrate and attitude that people were unhappy with. Going by the BBC report tonight it doesn't sound like this was much improved however some people at the game may be able to give better views on this...
give him the ball and he'll score goals though , plenty of other "workers " in the side without ruining one of the best players by making them track runners.

PaulSmith
26-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Goals or workrate and attitude?

That's the choice we have here guys, someone who has already hit 5 goals in 8 games this year (and missed 2 pens FFS!) or a John Rankin type player.

Part/Time Supporter
26-09-2009, 04:52 PM

His workrate nowadays is far better than it was in his first spell at Hibs; and he's still scoring goals at about the same rate.

erskine-hibby
26-09-2009, 04:54 PM
That's another goal for the wee lazy bassa:thumbsup:

Long may he be lazy:agree:

BroxburnHibee
26-09-2009, 04:56 PM
give him the ball and he'll score goals though , plenty of other "workers " in the side without ruining one of the best players by making them track runners.

Goals or workrate and attitude?

That's the choice we have here guys, someone who has already hit 5 goals in 8 games this year (and missed 2 pens FFS!) or a John Rankin type player.

His workrate nowadays is far better than it was in his first spell at Hibs; and he's still scoring goals at about the same rate.

That's another goal for the wee lazy bassa:thumbsup:

Long may he be lazy:agree:

Wasting your breath on them..............some bampots on here will never be happy :grr:

Westie1875
26-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Exactly, people have very short memories. Deek = goals, and he needs to be in the team until he has a scoring drought.

Riordans Boots
26-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Exactly, people have very short memories. Deek = goals, and he needs to be in the team until he has a scoring drought.

:agree::top marks

erskine-hibby
26-09-2009, 05:00 PM

That's as likely as a hosepipe ban in Scotland:greengrin

Deeks may not be to everyones liking, but given a run in a team, unlike his time at septic, he will score more than his share of that there is little doubt:agree:

California-Hibs
26-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Another game and another goal for Deek :thumbsup:
Felt this needed a mention on the back of the ridiculous thread with folk saying he's this and that and should be dropped etc.
Riordan had a great game today! He was taking players on and going past them, he was back helping out Ian Murray in the left back position, he was creating space, and then he done what he does best...SCORED A GREAT GOAL! :thumbsup:
Keep up the GREAT start to the season Derek! :top marks

erskine-hibby
26-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Felt this needed a mention on the back of the ridiculous thread with folk saying he's this and that and should be dropped etc.
Riordan had a great game today! He was taking players on and going past them, he was back helping out Ian Murray in the left back position, he was creating space, and then he done what he does best...SCORED A GREAT GOAL! :thumbsup:

Nah! He's a lazy wee bassa and the sooner you realise this the better:wink::devil:

Cabbage1875
26-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I thought Derek was absolutely great today, his workrate could not be questioned.

I still would like him to be deployed as a striker though. With guys like Zemmama and Miller in the form they were today, we could play with both Stokes and Riordan as the front two. Very promising shape and play today, well done Yogi. :top marks

hibee62
26-09-2009, 06:48 PM

So what you're saying is that he upped his workrate and improved his attitude and yet still scored a goal. So the argument that he either works hard OR scores goals is laughable, he can do both and hopefully will from now on.

Perspective
26-09-2009, 07:00 PM
So what you're saying is that he upped his workrate and improved his attitude and yet still scored a goal. So the argument that he either works hard OR scores goals is laughable, he can do both and hopefully will from now on.

Correct, but that point will be lost on many.

We all want to see Riordan banging in the goals for a winning Hibs team but he must keep his nose clean off the park and continue to work hard on it. He can't rely on natural talent alone.

silverhibee
27-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Correct, but that point will be lost on many.

We all want to see Riordan banging in the goals for a winning Hibs team but he must keep his nose clean off the park and continue to work hard on it. He can't rely on natural talent alone.

And so far so good dont you think, on and off the park. :agree:

richard_pitts
27-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Quite. I believe Derek Riordan is good enough to play in the Premiership, and I don't mean for the likes of Burnley - he has the ability without doubt. However what has set him back has been work-rate and attitude - look at Man United or Arsenal and even at 4-0 up they chase every lost cause. Compare that with some of Riordan's whingeing.

Also if you live the kind of lifestyle Derek Riordan has allegedly been living you get injured far more often and lack stamina because your body can't cope.

Linford Christie used to spend the week going out and then turn up on Saturdays and beat people who trained all week. His coach sat him down one afternoon and told him what he had the potential to be. Hopefully he's woken up to himself because that means 30 goals a season for Hibs :greengrin

sleeping giant
27-09-2009, 09:37 PM
And so far so good dont you think, on and off the park. :agree:

:agree: Oot the front pages of the papers for 2 weeks in a row:thumbsup:

Tomsk
27-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Quite. I believe Derek Riordan is good enough to play in the Premiership, and I don't mean for the likes of Burnley - he has the ability without doubt. However what has set him back has been work-rate and attitude - look at Man United or Arsenal and even at 4-0 up they chase every lost cause. Compare that with some of Riordan's whingeing.

Also if you live the kind of lifestyle Derek Riordan has allegedly been living you get injured far more often and lack stamina because your body can't cope.

Linford Christie used to spend the week going out and then turn up on Saturdays and beat people who trained all week. His coach sat him down one afternoon and told him what he had the potential to be if he started taking drugs. Hopefully he's woken up to himself because that means 30 goals a season for Hibs :greengrin

Fixed that for you. :wink:

richard_pitts
28-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Can you add an allegedly in there? :greengrin Point was that he actually added hard work to his game as well. If Derek Riordan does I think he'll do very well and Saturday was very encouraging :agree:

The Baldmans Comb
28-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Can you add an allegedly in there? :greengrin Point was that he actually added hard work to his game as well. If Derek Riordan does I think he'll do very well and Saturday was very encouraging :agree:

Why allegedly as Linford Christie is a drugs cheat and his career ended after a 2 year ban in 1998. He was also accused of drug taking at the Seoul Olympics but won the resulting vote 11-10.

Unless it's Derek Riordan and performance enhancing drugs we are talking about which is just to silly for words and as a footballer he remains sublime and has added a little more hardwork to his impressive technical ability.:thumbsup:

ahibby
28-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I disagree about him being sublime. He isn't an all round player but he is something approaching a goal scoring phenomenon IMO. I think Stokes is a more all round player but he doesn't quite have the instinct to grab goals out of nothing but he isn't far off Deeks in that Department. Stokes does offer other things though that Deek doesn't although it's difficult to put my finger on them perhaps because they are more to do with attitude, I don't know. I think our formation was interchangable on Sat with Deeks playing mid left to make 442 or up front to play 433. Part of his job on Saturday was to help stop their number 2, who was useful and considering the other part of his job was to score a goal or two, you have to take your hat off to him and say he worked damn hard. Although he couldn't always get back in time and cover the runs by their number 2 he did most of the time and made at least one important block.

HFC93
28-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Riordan has a stinking attitude but he can win you a match with a moment of class. Thats just what you have to put up with because I cant think of any other hibs player that can do that.

Tricla
28-09-2009, 04:18 PM
It puzzles me no end that Deek has people who don't rate him or would drop him.

Ally McCoist was the laziest barsteward in the world in his prime but was undoubtedly a top goal scorer. Kris Boyd is the same but you can't afford to drop these players. Tracking back or running about tackling everyone doesn't come naturally to them just like goal scoring doesn't come naturally to a center half or full back. No one berates them for not scoring goals or not being creative though.

If Deek continues to add the work ethic to his game then I'm pleased as he will become for me, the best attaking player in the league.

If he doesn't who cares. He'd still be first name on the team sheet for me.

He scores the goals so he plays. End of.

Sir David Gray
28-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Ally McCoist was the laziest barsteward in the world in his prime but was undoubtedly a top goal scorer. Kris Boyd is the same but you can't afford to drop these players. Traking back or running about tackling everyone doesn't come naturally to them just like goal scoring doesn't come naturally to a center half or full back. No one berates them for not scoring goals or being creative though.
If Deek continues to add the work ethic to his game then I'm pleased as he will become for me, the best attaking player in the league.

:top marks Particularly the bit in bold as it's a point I hadn't considered before.

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion but calling for Derek Riordan to be dropped is one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever heard.

jakedance
28-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Derek Riordan can do what he wants. His record speaks for itself.

If he had all the attributes people want him to have, with the ability he has, he'd be nowhere near Hibs. He is who he is.

For what its worth, I think the criticism of his work rate is greatly exaggerated anyway. He doesn't tackle or win headers but he works hard for the team, he's always looking for the ball. That's good enough for me.

BroxburnHibee
28-09-2009, 04:32 PM

If he had all the attributes people want him to have, with the ability he has, he'd be nowhere near Hibs. He is who he is.

For what its worth, I think the criticism of his work rate is greatly exaggerated anyway. He doesn't tackle or win headers but he works hard for the team, he's always looking for the ball. That's good enough for me.

Exactly :top marks

Can't believe this stupid debate has made it to 4 pages.

Tricla
28-09-2009, 04:37 PM

:top marks

The bit in bold - couldn't be truer.

skipster7
28-09-2009, 05:07 PM
are you suggesting we should play Riordan in midfield every week ?:confused:
as ive stated before IF your team is properly set up and communicates there should be no need for a striker to have to always track back. when not in possesion 2 strikers should work across the back four leaving 8 players to mark 6, even if the opposition full back pushes up its STILL 8 v 7 != no need for a forward to waste valuble energy doing someone elses job when he could better use it elswhere.SIMPLES.:greengrin

hibbymark
28-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Mcoist was a bit like boyd. Kenny miller reminds me a bit of paul dickov but deek is just deek. Ive never seen anyone like him.I have never seen anyone with his unique type of ability who is out there living everyone of our dreams.He can score goals with either foot from anywhere on the park. Im delighted he plays for us rather than against us and for me he is a better team player now than the one who left. There wont be many players score more goals in scotland this year than deek.:greengrin

skipster7
28-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Riordan has a stinking attitude but he can win you a match with a moment of class. Thats just what you have to put up with because I cant think of any other hibs player that can do that.

said in the press he gets grief from yogi about not making certain runs, but now he makes the runs and the ball to him is poor which is when he gets upset.rather that than he hid.

el capitano
28-09-2009, 05:20 PM
derek riordan- centre forward in most peoples eyes but is there a better left midfielder in the league than him

ian murray - centre half in most peoples eyes but is there a better left back in the league than him

the two of them are fantastic assets to the team, hibs through and through, and im hoping they finish there careers here.

camhibby1
28-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't write many posts on here although I read the boards daily. However the last time I wrote about Deeks was in relation to Strachan's treatment of him as a football player not a person. Strachan was jealous of Deek's natural ability given they both come from the same area of Edinburgh and Strachan was determined that Deek's would not under any circumstances succeed at Parkhead. Strachan's treatment of Deeks was appalling and he suffered big-time. We owe it to the board and MP (although I think the board more) that Deeks is back with us enjoying what he does most of all - playing football and supporting the team. Deeks is a natural striker and I love watching that natural ability. Liam Miller has it too and I honestly think if we don't get too carried away with ourselves and have some promising results over the next few weeks then we can begin to shout even louder. For me Deeks is integral to all this and I think he will not let us own. Mind you wouldn't like to spend an evening with him up the town, but for footy he's brilliant.

matty_f
28-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Ally McCoist was the laziest barsteward in the world in his prime but was undoubtedly a top goal scorer. Kris Boyd is the same but you can't afford to drop these players. Tracking back or running about tackling everyone doesn't come naturally to them just like goal scoring doesn't come naturally to a center half or full back. No one berates them for not scoring goals or not being creative though.

:top marks Amen, brother!

erskine-hibby
28-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Have not read a bad word in the papers today about his performance...infact quite the opposite. He is being touted for a Scotland recall. Can't come soon enough in my opinion:agree:

silverhibee
28-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't write many posts on here although I read the boards daily. However the last time I wrote about Deeks was in relation to Strachan's treatment of him as a football player not a person. Strachan was jealous of Deek's natural ability given they both come from the same area of Edinburgh and Strachan was determined that Deek's would not under any circumstances succeed at Parkhead. Strachan's treatment of Deeks was appalling and he suffered big-time. We owe it to the board and MP (although I think the board more) that Deeks is back with us enjoying what he does most of all - playing football and supporting the team. Deeks is a natural striker and I love watching that natural ability. Liam Miller has it too and I honestly think if we don't get too carried away with ourselves and have some promising results over the next few weeks then we can begin to shout even louder. For me Deeks is integral to all this and I think he will not let us own. Mind you wouldn't like to spend an evening with him up the town, but for footy he's brilliant.

Spot on there mate.:agree: :top marks

silverhibee
28-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Have not read a bad word in the papers today about his performance...infact quite the opposite. He is being touted for a Scotland recall. Can't come soon enough in my opinion:agree:

If Deeks doesn't get a call up for the Scotland squad this week for the Kirin Cup in Japan , he would be just as well retiring from International football for the time being as long as Burley is in charge anyway.

Jonnyboy
28-09-2009, 08:07 PM
If Deeks doesn't get a call up for the Scotland squad this week for the Kirin Cup in Japan , he would be just as well retiring from International football for the time being as long as Burley is in charge anyway.

For me this is the first test for Burley now that he's kept his job. Many of the players used in the WC qualifying campaign have proved they are either not up to the job or are getting too old. Burley should give others a chance now, including Deek and I honestly can't see any argument against selecting one of the best and most natural goalscorers in Scotland :agree:

Westie1875
28-09-2009, 08:38 PM

When is the squad announced?

HFC 0-7
28-09-2009, 09:05 PM
derek riordan- centre forward in most peoples eyes but is there a better left midfielder in the league than him

ian murray - centre half in most peoples eyes but is there a better left back in the league than him

the two of them are fantastic assets to the team, hibs through and through, and im hoping they finish there careers here.

I Think Riordan is an excellent player, but left midfield, I think there is better out there in scotland than him. Deek will soon get bored with the running about lark. It all goes back to using players to the best of their abilities. I think Riordan would be found out a bit if he was to start playing left midfield a lot. Although I though Hibs played very well on Saturday, I still think we will need to go back to a 4-4-2, playing proper midfielders. Deeks is better utilsed as a 'lazy' player up top, he can get past one man and then have a shot quite easily, so if its the last man its all the better. Deek doesnt have the pace or stamina to steam up and down the wing week in week out.

Deeks is excellent when playing up front not running about too much, he is still quite a good player when he has to run about and track back, but I cant see him keeping that standard

HFC 0-7
28-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Not sure if your right about Strachans motives for not playing Riordan. Although it probably cant be confirmed, it was rumoured Deek was dipping strachans daughter. If thats true I would have benched him as well. Dont know if any of you guys have daughters but as I have a daughter, I would be raging if he went with my daughter.

matty_f
28-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Not sure if your right about Strachans motives for not playing Riordan. Although it probably cant be confirmed, it was rumoured Deek was dipping strachans daughter. If thats true I would have benched him as well. Dont know if any of you guys have daughters but as I have a daughter, I would be raging if he went with my daughter.

When the time comes when they're old enough. so long as he's a Hibby, I'll no' mind.

silverhibee
28-09-2009, 10:42 PM
When is the squad announced?

I think this Thursday.

silverhibee
28-09-2009, 10:56 PM

I will confirm for you that Deek was NOT doing strachans daughter, infact does strachan have a daughter.?
Or maybe it was another rumour that GS didn't play Deeks was that Deek floored him one day at training.:wink:
I think the post from camhibby is the one i tend to agree with.

BroxburnHibee
28-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I will confirm for you that Deek was NOT doing strachans daughter, infact does strachan have a daughter.?
Or maybe it was another rumour that GS didn't play Deeks was that Deek floored him one day at training.:wink:
I think the post from Hibs 13681 is the one i tend to agree with.

Ach what the hell would you know :wink:

silverhibee
28-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Ach what the hell would you know :wink:

:cool2: :thumbsup:

hibee62
29-09-2009, 09:26 AM
are you suggesting we should play Riordan in midfield every week ?:confused:
as ive stated before IF your team is properly set up and communicates there should be no need for a striker to have to always track back. when not in possesion 2 strikers should work across the back four leaving 8 players to mark 6, even if the opposition full back pushes up its STILL 8 v 7 != no need for a forward to waste valuble energy doing someone elses job when he could better use it elswhere.SIMPLES.:greengrin

NO! My point was that it is l;aughable to suggest that he can only either work hard or score goals. On saturday he was in midfield so he has to track back. He did, and he still scored, ruining any suggestion that its a case of work hard or score, he can do both.

I said in another debate about him that I dont want him tracking back if he's upfront but i want to see him harrying defenders more and making more of an effort to chase the bad ball instead of throwing his arms in the air and moaning. Imagine how many goals he'd score if he created chances for himself, given the number he already scores by not putting the pressure on defenders, etc... and just relying on the one good ball that comes out of our midfield for every 3 bad balls.

JimBHibees
29-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I dont think Scotland have an abundance of talent that we should be ignoring such a natural finisher as Deek. Even if it is a case of introducing him from the bench if we need a goal he should certainly be in the squad IMO.

sean
29-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Having watched hibs for the last 14 years.i can say without a doubt he is the most naturally gifted player i have seen in hibs colours.

the guy is a goal scorer pure and simple,he can score with both feet,has a great range of diagonal and through balls for his team mates.

i really dont see the problem with his workrate..he scores goals,and tbh from what i have seen his closing down of CH's is first rate.

he has a stinking attitude?
how many people who this for a fact?

its all alot of rubbish,yes he moans at the players,huffs and puffs,but so do all the best players,they want the ball as they know they can make things happen.

one thing about him is he doesnt hide on the park no matter the score or the opposition and always looks for the ball because he always believes he can score.

maybe his personal life is a bit shabby,but tbh who are we all to judge,i only care about how he plays for hibernian on the pitch.

people should get of his back,it amazes me,he has over 70 or 80 goals for the club and people moan,many clubs would sell half there sqaud for a striker as prolific.

Phil MaGlass
29-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Maybe,just maybe, Yogi just wants him to lose weight? and move him forward more once he lost some pounds?:greengrin

IWasThere2016
29-09-2009, 07:50 PM

He scores the goals - FOR THE TEAM HE LOVES - so he plays. End of.

Wee alteration for ye :wink:

1 Deeeeeeeeeeko! :thumbsup:

Westie1875
29-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Maybe,just maybe, Yogi just wants him to lose weight? and move him forward more once he lost some pounds?:greengrin

If he loses any more weight he'll disappear.

Row H
29-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Deeks would be the first name on the team sheet for me every week, im still on a high that he is back here at ER and i honestly dont think he would fit in at any other Scottish club.

ronaldo7
29-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Deeks would be the first name on the team sheet for me every week, im still on a high that he is back here at ER and i honestly dont think he would fit in at any other Scottish club.

He's tried it and they failed him.

Deek is the star of the show for me.

First on the team sheet.

Now Deek, we need a brace from you at the pink castle and another show from Casper.

Long may you wear the Green and white of Hibernian:thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
29-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Derek Riordan should be first name on the team sheet every week. He isn't perfect - if he was he wouldn't be at Easter Road, he would be at Real Madrid or similar, so we should take him as he is, and that is a 20 goal a season striker.

As far as I'm aware these players don't come cheap, so when they come through a youth system for free, you should do your best to hold on!

HibbyAndy
30-09-2009, 09:14 PM
DR would be the first name on my team sheet every week.

His goals speak for itself..yous lot can talk about his workrate etc all day long if you want.

End of the day he's paid to score goals and he does that in abundence.

monktonharp
30-09-2009, 10:15 PM
DR would be the first name on my team sheet every week.

His goals speak for itself..yous lot can talk about his workrate etc all day long if you want.

End of the day he's paid to score goals and he does that in abundence.:agree:first pick,for the reasons you state,and never subbed unless injured or we are 2 goals up with 5 mins to go:wink: