PDA

View Full Version : Why were the warning signs on saturday ignored?

Monts
22-09-2009, 08:38 PM
We got very lucky on saturday. Lots on here dismissed it as we won, but it showed tonight that we are poor at the moment.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-09-2009, 08:41 PM
We're 6 competitive games into a new season and era under Yogi.

We've won 3 playing poorly, we've lost 3 playing poorly.

You won't find me throwing myself off a cliff just yet, with the sheer amout of comings and goings this summer it'll take a lot of time to gel.

But we'll get there, I'd put the mortgage on it. The right man is at the helm and he'll see us through.

Jim44
Because Hughes failed to deal with it. Honeymoon over.

euro Hibby
very poor is all you can say and all credit to the other team who worked and played better. Hibs are miles away from the finished article.

Beefster
22-09-2009, 08:42 PM

You won't find me throwing myself off a cliff just yet, with the sheer amout of comings and goings this summer it'll take a lot of time to gel.

But we'll get there, I'd put the mortgage on it. The right man is at the helm and he'll see us through.

Genuine question - haven't St Johnstone had the same after being promoted?

Jones28
22-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Agree 100%, thank god a fellow Hibee is being positive :agree:

lEXO
22-09-2009, 08:44 PM
We got very lucky on saturday. Lots on here dismissed it as we won, but it showed tonight that we are poor at the moment.
Aye.Dont know why Yogi persists with 4-3-3. We need to sort the defence out, get a decent balance in midfield and get two strikers playing close to each other.Honeymoons over for Yogi. Sure he,ll get it right, but performances like Saturday(i was at the game)and results like tonight(i wasn,t there thank ******) arent acceptable.

Sumner
22-09-2009, 08:45 PM
McCormack not good enough

Hogg back in at RB or CH with Bamba, Murray either RB or LB

Rankin out (NEVER let him take a free kick, total waste!)
...for Galbraith IN - direct and pace = LW

Zemmama IN = RW

Wingers supplying CROSSES !!

And for **** SAKE BUY DEFENDERS HUGHES !!!

Pedantic_Hibee
22-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Genuine question - haven't St Johnstone had the same after being promoted?

To an extent yes. But they've had the same manager as they had last season.

PISTOL1875
22-09-2009, 08:47 PM
McCormack not good enough

Hogg back in at RB or CH with Bamba, Murray either RB or LB

Rankin out (NEVER let him take a free kick, total waste!)
...for Galbraith IN - direct and pace = LW

Zemmama IN = RW

Wingers supplying CROSSES !!

And for **** SAKE BUY DEFENDERS HUGHES !!!

Bamba should never play at CH AGAIN.. Did you watch him tonight ???

Riordans Boots
22-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Agree 100%, thank god a fellow Hibee is being positive :agree:

:agree: I believe in Yogi and wouldn't like to be a fly on-the-wall in the dressing room as we speak :bitchy:

sauzee
22-09-2009, 08:48 PM

simple,we're just not good enough,both full backs get skinned week in and week out,as they have played most of their carreers at centre half,the mid field are midgets,who work hard but have no real creativity and no width

Jim44
22-09-2009, 08:50 PM

I'm far from convinced that Hughes is the real deal. There's always been a huge question mark at the back of my mind. When he was at Falkirk I used to always think that Latapy was the key to their plucky play. They went in to decline when he left and I certainly won't be giving Hughes any benefit of the doubt until he can get a few convincing performances (results too if possible) from the heap of mediocrity available.

Speedway
22-09-2009, 08:50 PM
:agree: I believe in Yogi and wouldn't like to be a fly on-the-wall in the dressing room as we speak :bitchy:

Why? what difference is it going to make?

Moulin Yarns
22-09-2009, 08:51 PM
FWIW I'm not sure the formation is right either, last season Bamba was immense in front of the back 4, He is now in the middle of the back 4 and I don't think he is as good.

4-3-3 leaves the midfield lightweight, so it needs to be 4-4-2 with 2 wide men supporting the front 2.

Tonight was bad, but it's not the end of the world guys. Let's be positive, please.

hibee_girl
22-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Won't make any difference to some of them

Riordans Boots
22-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Too late to make any difference but I was mearly saying that Yogi will be kicking ass big time ... but too late as far as CIS.

I still think JH is the man to take Hibs forward though :agree:

Scorrie
22-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I'm not sure what Yogi says to the players anymore. on the radio he says some really good stuff. He's either telling the players something completely different or telling them the same as he tells us and they cannae understand it or he talks a good game to everybody and goes out with daft tactics / formation. :confused:

Just Jimmy
22-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Everyone said last season we had the players and not the manager, I agreed at the time but I had a few doubts that maybe folk were over rating some players. We now have a midfield that contains two from almost relegated Falkirk, one who's not 100% fit in miller (although will be excellent I think). We have a captain that hardly any fans rate, and our best central midfielder is playing centre half. A position he's gash at by all accounts.

We also have a manager and assistant manager that almost relgated falkirk, whilst also almost winning a trophy.

Stokes is starting to score but there are still major issues in terms of squad balance I feel. We still need a full back for both sides, a centre half (1 at least). A right winger and a Number 9.

It may work, it may not but I dunno yet, even the wins have looked less than convincing.

Greenblood70
22-09-2009, 09:05 PM
We seem determined to soldier on with the same midfield shape and I've yet to see any signs that it suits the players playing it. We're so often overun and outnumbered and struggle to keep the ball (especially in the last few games).

The last thing we need to be doing is inviting more pressure on an already dodgy back 4.

The bright spot is that if we do get the formation right, bring in a couple of reliable defenders and reinstate Maka I can see us having a decent season.

sauzee
22-09-2009, 09:08 PM

sorry but it'll be in one ear out the other,quick shower,dressed and the usual suspects will be in george st as we speak on the beer, FACT,as they'll be on a day off tomorow

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 09:12 PM

I wouldn't throw myself off a cliff but I wouldn't risk my hoose either! This is Hibs FFS!

I'm_cabbaged
22-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Bamba should never play at CH AGAIN.. Did you watch him tonight ???

:agree:

Love the big man in midfield but at CH he's nothing but a liability.

ancient hibee
22-09-2009, 09:14 PM
We got out of jail on Saturday-couldn't happen twice.

There were posters on here as there have been all season wanting Murray and Bamba at central defence-well they've got them and they are hopeless together-as they were on Saturday>When I saw it was the same team it was obviously going to be a disaster.The midgets in the midfield were overrun-Wotherspoon and Riordan were played too wide to have much influence-Stokes was isolated and left to chase hoofs(come back Mixu?).What we are watching is the Falkirk style of ineffective tip tapping without purpose in midfield and among the defence while the opposition falls back to cover.There was no direct speedy play until Zemmamma came on .

Hibby 2005
22-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Yogi managed a team who played survival fitba for 6 years, says it all.

18Craig75
22-09-2009, 09:20 PM
So frustrating! It just seems the whole balance of the team is wrong! No width, no urgency & worst of all no passion! How many times was Riordan in our left back area marking their winger/full back? Rankin just seems to play where he wants! For me the midfield should be...

Galbraith McBride Miller Zoumer

Okay we haven't seen a lot of Galbraith but at least he's an out and out winger! Maybe this would allow us to get the ball wide and be more direct, and maybe even hit the by-line once in a while!

Like I said, so frustrating to watch!! In Yogi I trust!

PISTOL1875
22-09-2009, 09:25 PM
So frustrating! It just seems the whole balance of the team is wrong! No width, no urgency & worst of all no passion! How many times was Riordan in our left back area marking their winger/full back? Rankin just seems to play where he wants! For me the midfield should be...

Galbraith McBride Miller Zoumer

Okay we haven't seen a lot of Galbraith but at least he's an out and out winger! Maybe this would allow us to get the ball wide and be more direct, and maybe even hit the by-line once in a while!

Like I said, so frustrating to watch!! In Yogi I trust!

The problem with that is it's too lightweight.. Where is Bamba ?? He can't play at the back.. He can only play in midfield where he broke up the play so well last season.. That midfield would get over-run every week...

BSEJVT
22-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Where do you start?

Yogi comes out time after time on Hibernian FC with all the stuff about winning the battle then letting your talent show.

He needs to give them a chance to do that.

His current formation and players dont do that and when we need to show a bit of a battling instinct he waters down the team by playing his "flair" players or yet more of them?

Tried it at Hamilton, failed miserably, very lucky on Saturday switch the strikers and they win 3-0.

We were up against it big time tonight, Mcbride had an absolute howler, no-one to replace him on the bench and he stays on.

He then takes of one of the few guys with any sort of physical presence, Mccormack, puts a right winger to right back and brings on Zemmama.

Not at all fair to the laddie Wotherspoon.

What was the rush, why did we go all gung ho and throw the game away, we werent behind and they were visibly tiring.

Both the last 2 goals come from the right side with Wotherspoon in particular failing to put a challenge in to block the shot for the 3rd. Not the laddies fault but FFS, what was Yogi thinking?

Galbraith on for Rankin who also had another howler and a midfield of:

Zemmama, McBride, Miller & Galbraith, who the hell is going to win a tackle in that midfield?

Stack is as brave as a lion but is also making more errors than Maka.

Hanlon was awful, Bamba not much better.

In order to win the war we are going to need to win a battle, piddling about with the midfiled he is just now is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

Stokes and Riordan simply cant play as a front 2 as there is no physical prescence.

WTF was the tactic of pinging kick outs for Riordan to challenge a guy a foot taller than him in the air.

Some really worrying signs in that show tonight.

Will Yogi learn and adapt, he had better or we are screwed.

Finally if Boozy is still available we should be breaking down his door as he can play a bit and at least isnt a dwarf like the present incumbents.

And breathe.....

Baldy Foghorn
22-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Because Hughes failed to deal with it. Honeymoon over.

Exactly, his comments about sailing through this round were inappropriate, and he never learnt anything from Saturday........ Completely useless........

I'm_cabbaged
22-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Where do you start?

Yogi comes out time after time on Hibernian FC with all the stuff about winning the battle then letting your talent show.

His current formation and players dont do that and when we need to show a bit of a battling instinct he waters down the team by playing his "flair" players or yet more of them?

Tried it at Hamilton, failed miserably, very lucky on Saturday switch the strikers and they win 3-0.

We were up against it big time tonight, Mcbride had an absolute howler, no-one to replace him on the bench and he stays on.

He then takes of one of the few guys with any sort of physical presence, Mccormack, puts a right winger to right back and brings on Zemmama.

What was the rush, why did we go all gung ho and throw the game away, we werent behind and they were visibly tiring.

Both the last 2 goals come from the right side with Wotherspoon in particular failing to put a challenge in to block the shot for the 3rd. Not the laddies fault but FFS, what was Yogi thinking?

Zemmama, McBride, Miller & Galbraith, who the hell is going to win a tackle in that midfield?

In order to win the war we are going to need to win a battle, piddling about with the midfiled he is just now is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

Stokes and Riordan simply cant play as a front 2 as there is no physical prescence.

WTF was the tactic of pinging kick outs for Riordan to challenge a guy a foot taller than him in the air.

Finally if Boozy is still available we should be breaking down his door as he can play a bit and at least isnt a dwarf like the present incumbents.

And breathe.....

The problem is they play 20 yards away from eachother, play the ball into spaces and they'll get it. And what good is Riordan tracking back to LB, Yogi's got to have a look at himself.

18Craig75
22-09-2009, 09:34 PM
The problem with that is it's too lightweight.. Where is Bamba ?? He can't play at the back.. He can only play in midfield where he broke up the play so well last season.. That midfield would get over-run every week...

I see what you're saying, but I have liked the look of McBride this season, second half tonight apart! I guess Bamba could be put back in there, maybe it's time for Yogi to make some tough decisions!

ancient hibee
22-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Riordan is being played far too wide.

bingo70
22-09-2009, 09:36 PM

One of the main criticisms of Mixus team was that we were completely over run in midfield, one of the reasons for this IMO was that Bamba doesn't have the positional sense for midfield, excellent at winning the ball and breaking up play however always dropped far too deep for my liking.

I just think peoples expectations are too high this season, possibly bacause Yogi has talked such a good game since he took over, we were absolutely abysmal last season, it's going to take more than half a dozen games for Yogi to turn it around, there's definate signs of progress but there's clearly a long long way to go.

We lost double headers against Dundee utd under Mowbrey, Dunfermline under Collins and Hearts under Mixu so this is no the end of the world, i'm sure we'll all get over it, hopefuly after a good result on saturday.

PISTOL1875
22-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I see what you're saying, but I have liked the look of McBride this season, second half tonight apart! I guess Bamba could be put back in there, maybe it's time for Yogi to make some tough decisions!

Yogi thought that Bamba would be the answer to Jones leaving , but it's backfired big time... Why do you think he has brought in so many midfielders and forwards ?? Bamba has to be put into midfield and some of his midfielders have drop out...

All McBride does is just pass to a player and run after it... He gives 100% but doesn't go anywhere....

bingo70
22-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Yogi thought that Bamba would be the answer to Jones leaving , but it's backfired big time... Why do you think he has brought in so many midfielders and forwards ?? Bamba has to be put into midfield and some of his midfielders have drop out...

All McBride does is just pass to a player and run after it... He gives 100% but doesn't go anywhere....

Thats not what he does at all, he gets the ball makes the simple pass and tries to retain possesion, if we want our team to play good football having a midfielder like this is essential, there has to be better movement ahead of him though.

That said i thought he had a poor game tonight.

erin go bragh
22-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Where do you start?

And breathe.....
boozy signed for mk dons

Baw187
22-09-2009, 09:43 PM
This pish about having your fullbacks halfway up the park only works if you have Cafu and Bobby Carlos in their hey day. Not when you have 2, inexperienced center halfs playing there.

Every *****ing team knows that they can exploit us down the channels and it works every time. As a result, our CBs are pulled all over and when they're having stinkers like they did tonight, we're goosed.

Change it to 4-4-2, let out fullbacks DEFEND and get wingers in the team, and we might fair a bit better.

I won't hold my breath tho.

heretoday
22-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, as my son, who tries to be as fanatic a Hibby as his father, said tonight "We'll just have to win the League.....or the Cup."

Yup...that's about it.

Judas Iscariot
22-09-2009, 09:57 PM
So who's fault is this?

The manager?

The players?

Alfred E Newman
22-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Could not believe Hughes played the same side that was outplayed on Saturday. St Johnstone must have thought it was Christmas come early. They stuck in Deucher who could have had a hat trick on Saturday when he came on and he won everything in the air tonight.
We were weak at full back, beat in the air all over the park. No shape, no presence in midfield, half hearted tackles, aimless punts to the front players, it was atrocious. I thought that when Yogi took over we would at least be agressive but he too seems unable to give us a Hibs team that will show a real will to win. Honeymoon is well and truly over.

Baldy Foghorn
22-09-2009, 09:58 PM
So who's fault is this?

The manager?

The players?

Equally as culpable..........

Baw187
22-09-2009, 09:59 PM
So who's fault is this?

The manager?

The players?

Bit of both. Hughes needs to be man enough to rethink the formation and tactics. Some players need to get their finger out.

Monts
22-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Bit of both. Hughes needs to be man enough to rethink the formation and tactics. Some players need to get their finger out.

:agree: No more 4 3 3

silverhibee
23-09-2009, 01:13 AM
We got out of jail on Saturday-couldn't happen twice.

There were posters on here as there have been all season wanting Murray and Bamba at central defence-well they've got them and they are hopeless together-as they were on Saturday>When I saw it was the same team it was obviously going to be a disaster.The midgets in the midfield were overrun-Wotherspoon and Riordan were played too wide to have much influence-Stokes was isolated and left to chase hoofs(come back Mixu?).What we are watching is the Falkirk style of ineffective tip tapping without purpose in midfield and among the defence while the opposition falls back to cover.There was no direct speedy play until Zemmamma came on .

:agree::agree::top marks