PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere,wheres it gone

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 05:02 PM
whats happened to our atmosphere,even against the OF no atmosphere, I think this has been covered before but it is a big problem,I cant see a new stand changing this or will it?
mibbe we could hire these boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Vns7WohBU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSlkKRONdk&feature=related

SRHibs
21-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Ye, the atmosphere against St Johnstone was awful, even by our standards.
The only time I recall anyone singing is in the 1 min after each goal(and even then, that was only a small part of the east), apart from that it was absolutely dead.

FCUM do have the right idea. 90 mins of singing even if they're getting humped.:wink:

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I hope its not only the away games were making an effort,we even had something to sing about on saturday but not a peep.I even shouted "get f,n intae thum" in the first 15 mins and it echoed around the ground wtf, its not as if we have reached the heights of glory hunters that we dont have to get behind the team anymore.You pay 22 quid, sing a song, mibbe mair folk need tae hit the boozer before a game?

silverhibee
21-09-2009, 05:17 PM
whats happened to our atmosphere,even against the OF no atmosphere, I think this has been covered before but it is a big problem,I cant see a new stand changing this or will it?
mibbe we could hire these boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Vns7WohBU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUSlkKRONdk&feature=related

Hibs fans to busy slagging and moaning at the players to get behind the team like that.:duck::greengrin

Ozyhibby
21-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I hope its not only the away games were making an effort,we even had something to sing about on saturday but not a peep.I even shouted "get f,n intae thum" in the first 15 mins and it echoed around the ground wtf, its not as if we have reached the heights of glory hunters that we dont have to get behind the team anymore.You pay 22 quid, sing a song, mibbe mair folk need tae hit the boozer before a game?

Thats exactly where the atmosphere has gone. A smaller % of the crowd are getting tanked up before games these days. Used to be that all the pubs within a mile of the ground would be packed 2 hours before kick off. Nowadays you can still wonder into the Albion bar at 2.30 (as i did on opening day of the season) and expect to get served no probs.
Lunch time kick off don't help either. I like a beer as much as the next man but even I do not want to get plastered by 12.30 on a sunday lunchtime even if we are playing Hearts.
This is the same for all clubs except the old firm whose fans see getting tanked up as an essential part of the day, which is why you see them throwing back the tonic wine in a way that can't be enjoyable as they make their way to the match.

--------
21-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Hibs fans to busy slagging and moaning at the players to get behind the team like that.:duck::greengrin

:agree:

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I had a few beers on Leith walk and in the Albion on saturday,no queues whatsoever,which was excellent for me but doesnt bode well for the atmos,(just my thinking)

Mikey
21-09-2009, 06:18 PM
The atmosphere has suffered because the crowds have gone down. Many of those who chose not to renew while Mixu was there had probably spent their footy money on things like the mortgage, food for the family, etc, by the time Yogi arrived.

We need to be 3rd or 4th in the league in November/December and Hibs need to push half season tickets harder then ever if we're going to get back where we were 2 years ago. Still being in the CIS Cup at Xmas will help too.

There's been nothing to really excite the fans yet this season. With the exception of the Hamilton game we've won the games we should have and lost to Celtic. Even a win at Hamilton would have seen us sitting 2nd now and that would put a completely different complection on things. A lot of people turned up at the Hamilton game and they were let down badly. If these blips continue it will be difficult to attract bigger crowds and the atmosphere will continue to suffer.

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Im not agreeing or disagreeing,but I thought that Hughes being named manager or the signing of Stokes or the price of st,s being frozen,would have sold a few more st,s.There seemed to be a feeling of optimism among supporters,but still no reaction you would think after the blip(hopefully)against Hamilton it would have got the fans even more behind the team

Hibercelona
21-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Ticket prices rising... alcohol prices rising.... most people can't afford both on the same day.

Like some people said, things would have been different back then when things were a hell of a lot cheaper.

It's a shame really.

Which I could have been there back in the 70's & 80's, so I would know what real football was all about. :boo hoo:

Still.... i'll be cheering my lungs out tomorrow... no matter how many gloomers give me those odd looks! :thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Atmosphere has suffered since all seater stadiums were forced onto the football going public by a goverment who were desperate to control people. The Taylor report and the following actions were a total over reaction to a tragedy that could have been prevented if the police had been doing their jobs properly on that day. As is proved on the continent, standing sections can be safe for tens of thousands of people and do create the best atmosheres.
I love going to concerts and have seen some awesome bands both indoors standing, indoors seating, stadiums with standing and seating and arenas with no seating with the crowd all standing in tight together and the best atmosphere is always at the standing.
Atmosphere will never return for all but the big games until terracing comes back.

Hainan Hibs
21-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Too many lassies sitting about reading Hello and constantly on their mobiles.

Hibercelona
21-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Don't want to come across as some sort of sexist, but I think more women going to games has played a part in a poorer atmosphere.

Gone are the days of stands full of druken men and there "shouldnt have been drinking" sons. :wink:

Mikey
21-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Ticket prices rising...

Prices at ER are down :wink:

Hibercelona
21-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Prices at ER are down :wink:

Ah, devilish marketing ploy I say. :devil:

Westie1875
21-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Don't want to come across as some sort of sexist, but I think more women going to games has played a part in a poorer atmosphere.

Gone are the days of stands full of druken men and there "shouldnt have been drinking" sons. :wink:

I was sat beside 2 men on Sat who blethered all the way through the match about everything other than what was happening on the pitch.

Not just the lassies who are not paying attention to the game. :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-09-2009, 07:29 PM
FWIW this is one of the reasons I stopped going to ER, every time I stood up to make a point I was told by either a steward or a silly wumin behind me to sit down and watch my language. This has been evident for some time, some fans in the bottom stands really should unfold their arms now and again and at least look interested :rolleyes:

The one thing I really miss about going is the atmosphere but that clearly has gone now, bring back standing FFS!

(((Fergus)))
21-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Atmosphere has suffered since all seater stadiums were forced onto the football going public by a goverment who were desperate to control people. The Taylor report and the following actions were a total over reaction to a tragedy that could have been prevented if the police had been doing their jobs properly on that day. As is proved on the continent, standing sections can be safe for tens of thousands of people and do create the best atmosheres.
I love going to concerts and have seen some awesome bands both indoors standing, indoors seating, stadiums with standing and seating and arenas with no seating with the crowd all standing in tight together and the best atmosphere is always at the standing.
Atmosphere will never return for all but the big games until terracing comes back.

that's all there is to it :top marks

Hibhibhooray
21-09-2009, 08:13 PM
FWIW this is one of the reasons I stopped going to ER, every time I stood up to make a point I was told by either a steward or a silly wumin behind me to sit down and watch my language. This has been evident for some time, some fans in the bottom stands really should unfold their arms now and again and at least look interested :rolleyes:

The one thing I really miss about going is the atmosphere but that clearly has gone now, bring back standing FFS!

Spot on, I sit near the tunnel. Last season against Rangers I was pulled because I kept standing up and shouting at officials who were making rank rotten decisions. At half time I had a steward approach me and told me that my behaviour was unacceptable. I had swore 'once' and if I persisted I would be removed from the ground. For the remainder of the match I had the steward & the polis man standing in the tunnel watching me:grr:

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
21-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Spot on, I sit near the tunnel. Last season against Rangers I was pulled because I kept standing up and shouting at officials who were making rank rotten decisions. At half time I had a steward approach me and told me that my behaviour was unacceptable. I had swore 'once' and if I persisted I would be removed from the ground. For the remainder of the match I had the steward & the polis man standing in the tunnel watching me:grr:

killer mate - i wouldnae put up with that !!! - change your seat to the east terracing, at least the stewards ken not too get involved unless they have to, cos they know if they did there would be a riot !!! :agree:

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Football has become sanitised and is no longer a working mans release after a hard weeks work. We now have families, women, young girls and even worse the middle classes attending games who seem to be easily offended by stuff that used to be ok. Now I am not defending racism or any of that stuff but I do not think that swearing is offensive, but that will get you into trouble in most of the stadium. I don't want to go to the East anymore as I prefer the views elsewhere, but in any other part of the stadium swearing and shouting is almost forbidden.

Ozyhibby
21-09-2009, 08:37 PM
When the new east is built there should be a section set aside for those who wish to have a bit of a sing song, shout and swear and generally act the goat.
However this will not be enough to bring back the atmosphere to the levels there was in the 70's and 80's because there is less drinking going on.
Even during the 70's and 80's ther was a big difference between a midweek game and a sat game. Unless it was a European night (not many of them in the 80's) the midweek atmosphere was always a lot quieter.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-09-2009, 08:39 PM
IIRC there were only five loud cheers on Saturday. 1 each for the goals. 1 in general for the lassies at half time and 1 for that phanny of an announcer who started the first 10 second countdown as 5,6,7. Always seems to me that singing away from home is not such a problem. That does not include away to the Old Filth where breathing in and out is justification to get hooked. Especially the uber-violent stewards at Darkhied.:lips seal

truehibernian
21-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hibernian could however (if they saw merit in it), be quite pioneering and could lobby the Scottish Government to see if they could re-introduce safe terracing areas (given we are in a position to build a new stand) akin to grounds in Germany. The arguments are there for a stong case to be presented. Better technology in place, better ticketing and monitoring of tickets sold, safer more modern stands, far better policing and stewarding, CCTV and safety measures. I am sure Margo MacDonald looked into this recently but I could be wrong.

nonshinyfinish
21-09-2009, 08:41 PM
We now have families, women, young girls and even worse the middle classes attending games

God forbid...

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I grew up watching Hibs in the 70s and started going myself early 80s then with mates to the pub then the game mid 80s, and back then a crowd of 6/7000 at ER would have made a better atmosphere than the embarrasing non event that was Saturday. Even a 3-0 win can't get a lot of these people out of their seats and singing now a days.

Hibhibhooray
21-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Used to sit in the east and it used to be great apart from they dam pillars so I moved over when we built the new west.

But if you think back to the AEK game the atmos was first class, best game I can remember for atmos the 6-1 win against the yams was also up there, maybe once Yogi's style has been stamped in the these nights with electric atmosphere will return and we will all be singing and chanting:thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
21-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Hibernian could however (if they saw merit in it), be quite pioneering and could lobby the Scottish Government to see if they could re-introduce safe terracing areas (given we are in a position to build a new stand) akin to grounds in Germany. The arguments are there for a stong case to be presented. Better technology in place, better ticketing and monitoring of tickets sold, safer more modern stands, far better policing and stewarding, CCTV and safety measures. I am sure Margo MacDonald looked into this recently but I could be wrong.

They could but do they really want to? Apart from the fact that more missiles get thrown from enclosures, there is not much benefit to the club from having a section where people would expect to only pay £15 to get in.
And don't say if it was cheaper more people would come as this has been proven not to be true. Motherwell tried it nearly went bust. When it was cheaper in the 80's to go to Easter road the attendances were lower than they are now.

marinello59
21-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Football has become sanitised and is no longer a working mans release after a hard weeks work. We now have families, women, young girls and even worse the middle classes attending games who seem to be easily offended by stuff that used to be ok. Now I am not defending racism or any of that stuff but I do not think that swearing is offensive, but that will get you into trouble in most of the stadium. I don't want to go to the East anymore as I prefer the views elsewhere, but in any other part of the stadium swearing and shouting is almost forbidden.

Since when did being working class equate to finding it acceptable to swear in front of women and children? :confused:

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I have advocated this in various threads previously and I think it would reinforce Hibernian as the pioneering club we were once renowned as. I have spoken to fans of many clubs and most would love the return of SAFE standing areas. One of the most enjoyable days out in recent times was a pre season at Stirling where the majority of the guys I grew up watching Hibs with from Alloa all got to STAND together at the game. This is now impossible at ER as they are all spread out and even if together you would be at least 6 or 7 seats away from some of your mates.

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Since when did being working class equate to finding it acceptable to swear in front of women and children? :confused:
You missed the point of what I was saying, the game used to be all male and usually of a working class background where "industrial language " was accepted and not frowned upon. I didn't say it was more or less acceptable but it was an accepted part of the game back then. If that makes sense

Bishop Hibee
21-09-2009, 09:03 PM
In the '80's, a 3-0 win over anyone had us bouncing all over the terracing.

I don't see as many groups of 14-25 year old lads going to games in the same way me and my mates did. They're the demographic that made the most noise. They're certainly not amongst us old fogies in the West Upper :wink:

Agree that atmosphere in the ground was shocking on Saturday. Not even any sign of the Capital Greens banner. Have they given up?

truehibernian
21-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Hear what you are saying weecounty but I kind of wear two hats with that one. I grew up having an absolute hoot with my mates in the East, but now that I am taking my 10 year old to games, it's important not to let him hear all the stuff that I was coming out with all those years ago. We now sit in the West and yep, it's comfy and very "safe", but as a parent it makes me feel more comfortable that he is only really having to watch the game and not close his ears to various obscenities (that his dad still mutters under his breath :wink:)..........the days of fans leaving ER hoarse I am afraid are long gone bud (sadly)

marinello59
21-09-2009, 09:05 PM
You missed the point of what I was saying, the game used to be all male and usually of a working class background where "industrial language " was accepted and not frowned upon. I didn't say it was more or less acceptable but it was an accepted part of the game back then. If that makes sense

OK, got you now.

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:05 PM
In the '80's, a 3-0 win over anyone had us bouncing all over the terracing.

I don't see as many groups of 14-25 year old lads going to games in the same way me and my mates did. They're the demographic that made the most noise. They're certainly not amongst us old fogies in the West Upper :wink:

Agree that atmosphere in the ground was shocking on Saturday. Not even any sign of the Capital Greens banner. Have they given up?

Was just about to ask about them. What happened to them are they still on the go. I happen to think that it was a good idea to have a group like them if it would help the atmosphere

Antifa Hibs
21-09-2009, 09:08 PM
the atmosphere is ****** due to the clientel of stadiums these days. there is the potential but the passionaite fans are spread over 3 stands of boring barstewards. if Hibs and anyother club for that matter said there's 4 blocks, thats for those that want to stand and sing, the atmosphere would increase 10-fold. in works everywere else, if you want to stand, sing, shout abuse at the oppositon, wave a flag, go there, if your the easily offended geeky type who doesn't want there view interupted so they can watch the warm up, sit over there.

it just about sums it up when the only flag you see at easter road belongs to the two polish lads.

scottish fans at an away game
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Carheenlee/20090919001?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbTydvi14e6Rg#538365554 4376132754

polish fans at an away game
http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/631/pb0501159ba.jpg

even us at hamilton away, 3000+ fans and not one song all game. its pathetic. there was hope when the capital greens started but they have since chucked it i believe. hopefully in the wake of that a more organised hibs group comes around as by god we need it, the fact that this is about the 3rd thread regarding atmospheres at ER since the start of the season proves it...

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Hear what you are saying weecounty but I kind of wear two hats with that one. I grew up having an absolute hoot with my mates in the East, but now that I am taking my 10 year old to games, it's important not to let him hear all the stuff that I was coming out with all those years ago. We now sit in the West and yep, it's comfy and very "safe", but as a parent it makes me feel more comfortable that he is only really having to watch the game and not close his ears to various obscenities (that his dad still mutters under his breath :wink:)..........the days of fans leaving ER hoarse I am afraid are long gone bud (sadly)

I know what you are saying, my daughter had a ST and my son had one before his 3rd birthday and we too were in the west lower, none of them got to go to OF or Hearts games as I do tend to get a little excitable at these games!. But there must be an area set aside where younger people who have gotten a bit older can go away from family sections. I went with my uncle until early teens and sat behind the goals, when I got older I went to the North enclosure as that was where the singing was at the time.

FranckSuzy
21-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Used to sit in the east and it used to be great apart from they dam pillars so I moved over when we built the new west.

But if you think back to the AEK game the atmos was first class, best game I can remember for atmos the 6-1 win against the yams was also up there, maybe once Yogi's style has been stamped in the these nights with electric atmosphere will return and we will all be singing and chanting:thumbsup:

It's a conspiracy-FACT. Even one of their goals actually scored has been airbrushed out :greengrin

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Antifa Hibs;2183123]the atmosphere is ****** due to the clientel of stadiums these days. there is the potential but the passionaite fans are spread over 3 stands of boring barstewards. if Hibs and anyother club for that matter said there's 4 blocks, thats for those that want to stand and sing, the atmosphere would increase 10-fold. in works everywere else, if you want to stand, sing, shout abuse at the oppositon, wave a flag, go there, if your the easily offended geeky type who doesn't want there view interupted so they can watch the warm up, sit over there.

:agree: Totally agree as I said earlier you always knew where to go if you wanted to sing, shout etc. North enclosure, under tv gantry on uncovered terrace and then under tv gantry in east covered terrace. You just can't do that anymore due to seated stadiums where there are a large percentage of ST so seats are filled each week. I really feel sorry for the younger folk who haven't witnessed the atmosphere on the east before the seats. I can still remember the Souness game and the place was going absolutely mental, Anderlecht in the UEFA cup was awesome as well. Even with smaller crowds when huddled together the atmopshere could be generated much easier than today

truehibernian
21-09-2009, 09:35 PM
The Anderlecht game was some night. We could only get into the Dunbar end which was rammed. I always remember giving Van Vossen it tight when he was getting treated off the pitch behind the goals (at least I think it was him...........ridiculous perm even by Charlie Nicholas standards)

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:40 PM
The Anderlecht game was some night. We could only get into the Dunbar end which was rammed. I always remember giving Van Vossen it tight when he was getting treated off the pitch behind the goals (at least I think it was him...........ridiculous perm even by Charlie Nicholas standards)

I took my ex wife to the game and we were packed in as tight as I can ever remember in the east. Just before kick off she says to me, "If Hibs score don't let go of me." Well about 5 mins in up pops Dave Beaumont and it's total chaos. Only found her again at half time. I don't think this was the cause of our divorce!!!

Sir David Gray
21-09-2009, 09:42 PM
even us at hamilton away, 3000+ fans and not one song all game. its pathetic. there was hope when the capital greens started but they have since chucked it i believe. hopefully in the wake of that a more organised hibs group comes around as by god we need it, the fact that this is about the 3rd thread regarding atmospheres at ER since the start of the season proves it...

Being 2-0 down after 12 minutes and playing absolute mince for 90 minutes didn't exactly help, though.

I still don't understand this view that you need to stand up in order to create a better atmosphere. I never stop singing at certain away games, whilst sitting down.

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Being 2-0 down after 12 minutes and playing absolute mince for 90 minutes didn't exactly help, though.

I still don't understand this view that you need to stand up in order to create a better atmosphere. I never stop singing at certain away games, whilst sitting down.

Ask any Hun or lesser green and they will tell you that the atmosphere was better with terracing and that is with them now getting 50+ and 60+ thousand every week now, and that never used to be the case they both used to play games in front of 20 to 30 thousand most weeks. So double the people double the atmosphere? Nope, doesn't work because of the seats.

Antifa Hibs
21-09-2009, 09:56 PM

for me, when standing you feel part of it, sitting your merely a passenger, a spectator. same reason why gigs are standing etc. I goto lots of gigs between here and glasgow and i've sat at one of them and it was pesh, never again will I ever sit at a gig. it just didn't feel right. at a gig you should be down the front standing and jumping around, same at the footy for me.

weecounty hibby
21-09-2009, 09:59 PM
for me, when standing you feel part of it, sitting your merely a passenger, a spectator. same reason why gigs are standing etc. I goto lots of gigs between here and glasgow and i've sat at one of them and it was pesh, never again will I ever sit at a gig. it just didn't feel right. at a gig you should be down the front standing and jumping around, same at the footy for me.
:top marksLast gig I was at was AC/DC at Hampden, couldn't get standing tickets so was in the South stand. Not one single person was sat down for a second and the atmosphere was amazing and the place was rocking. If we had been forced to sit down by stewards it wouldn't have been the same. Football is the same let people stand and the atmoshere will return

Removed
21-09-2009, 10:12 PM
:top marksLast gig I was at was AC/DC at Hampden, couldn't get standing tickets so was in the South stand. Not one single person was sat down for a second and the atmosphere was amazing and the place was rocking. If we had been forced to sit down by stewards it wouldn't have been the same. Football is the same let people stand and the atmoshere will return

But even at that gig the stewards where I was down the front were trying to stop folk going on shoulders. Boring barstewards

AC/DC :rockin:

http://www.youtube.com/user/65bd#play/uploads/4/nbrSGDjkS2A

matty_f
21-09-2009, 11:34 PM
It's definitely something that needs to be looked at, but then every single one of us on here is in a position to make a difference to the atmosphere, whether we're stood up or sat down.

We can't all just sit bumping our gums about how nobody's singing, and then when someone does try to start a song just ignore them and look at them like they're mental.

God only knows how we're going to get an atmosphere back - the best bet, IMHO, is to have the East redone, then everyone who wants a decent view but also wants to get involved in the singing can move back over so that they can sing without worrying about looking like a fanny.

Betty Boop
22-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Oh aye, lets blame the women! :faf:

RIP
22-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Sharp increase in gate prices now mean that yer average football supporter is middle class
Middle class people live in quiet streets and live quiet lives
They drive to matches so drinking before the match is out
The less drink around football the less partisan the behaviour
Middle class people led the way in the acquisition of season tickets
In the old days ST's were only the posh folk in the main stand wi their car coats
The plebs like me were packed into the terracing. Every team had a home 'Kop' behind one of the goals
At Easter Road our 'Kop' was rebuilt into a family section
In the days of terracing you could squeeze round to the singing section where the atmosphere was. Now you are allocated a set seat
Are you really going to start a sing song in the middle of a bunch of strangers?

For example my brother's family now have season tickets. We don't. When the six of us go to Easter Road we are split up into two groups of three. It's crap!!

I welcome the families and rejection of foul language. It's the singing I miss but I reckon unless the club gets involved in improving the matchday atmosphere, singing has gone for good

Moulin Yarns
22-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Sharp increase in gate prices now mean that yer average football supporter is middle class
Middle class people live in quiet streets and live quiet lives
They drive to matches so drinking before the match is out
The less drink around football the less partisan the behaviour
Middle class people led the way in the acquisition of season tickets
In the old days ST's were only the posh folk in the main stand wi their car coats
The plebs like me were packed into the terracing. Every team had a home 'Kop' behind one of the goals
At Easter Road our 'Kop' was rebuilt into a family section
In the days of terracing you could squeeze round to the singing section where the atmosphere was. Now you are allocated a set seat
Are you really going to start a sing song in the middle of a bunch of strangers?

For example my brother's family now have season tickets. We don't. When the six of us go to Easter Road we are split up into two groups of three. It's crap!!

When buying tickets there are two options so you can sit together, either request tickets that are close to your brothers, I did this for the Celtc game and was 9 seats away from my brothers seat. Alternatively, when I had a season ticket and a matr was up from Essex, I transferred my seat so we sat together in the East.

Otherwise, blame the middle classes. :greengrin

MoantheCabbage
22-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Although a standing section would be welcomed its just not gonna happen. I was at both listening forum for the new east stand and we were told there would never be a standing section even if the law was relaxed.

As for seating ruining atmospheres im not sure thats the case. Ive been to matches at anfield, ellend road, st James's etc where the atmosphere can be electric and full of noise.

The problem for me comes from people in the stands seeing singing as a nuisance and the people doing it must be riff raff. For the people who are trying to defend their kids from hearing swearing well thats all very noble but at the end of the day im sure they hear stuff just as bad if not worse in the playground cos im sure I swore as a kid but and if your honest so must have everyone, the difference being that you didnt swear in front of your parents or elders.

The world has went PC daft and unfortunatly its crept into the beautifull game and until this crazy wrap yourself in cotton wool lifestyle ends the terraces at football matches will continue to be graveyard like with tales of how they used to be amazing in the good ol days

RIP
22-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Although a standing section would be welcomed its just not gonna happen. I was at both listening forum for the new east stand and we were told there would never be a standing section even if the law was relaxed.

As for seating ruining atmospheres im not sure thats the case. Ive been to matches at anfield, ellend road, st James's etc where the atmosphere can be electric and full of noise.

The problem for me comes from people in the stands seeing singing as a nuisance and the people doing it must be riff raff. For the people who are trying to defend their kids from hearing swearing well thats all very noble but at the end of the day im sure they hear stuff just as bad if not worse in the playground cos im sure I swore as a kid but and if your honest so must have everyone, the difference being that you didnt swear in front of your parents or elders.

The world has went PC daft and unfortunatly its crept into the beautifull game and until this crazy wrap yourself in cotton wool lifestyle ends the terraces at football matches will continue to be graveyard like with tales of how they used to be amazing in the good ol days

Sorry mate but the threads about atmosphere no swearing. If you cannae sing without swearing ye should keep yer gob shut. Ma world's no PC daft - don't know whit planet you occupy

Respectfully yours my Hibee friend
:wink:

Keith_M
22-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry mate but the threads about atmosphere no swearing. If you cannae sing without swearing ye should keep yer gob shut. Ma world's no PC daft - don't know whit planet you occupy

Thanks for saying that, I've been thinking the same thing while reading a number of debates on this subject.

:top marks

Quite why people equate swearing and/or abusing players as the way to help the atmosphere at games, well I just can't work it out either.

The_Todd
22-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't need a drink to sing along so I've never understood why other people use this as an exuse.

MoantheCabbage
22-09-2009, 11:53 AM

The point being that some people have commented that they have moved stands away from the singing as people swear and they want to protect their kids. so It is relevant to the thread.

shut my gob hahahahahahahahahaha. Very well put, I must remember that one

Gatecrasher
22-09-2009, 12:34 PM
All seating, swearing, non swearing, drink, ticket prices, kids, women

all these are just pish poor excuses IMO

The only thing that can improve the atmosphere at ER is the people attending tonights game, iv been to plenty of football games at ER and elsewhere where the place has been bouncing, everyone agreeing on this thread going tonight will probaby just sit on their hands making no noise and then wonder why the atmosphere is pish.

Iv tried to start songs and chants but no one joins in, the only folk we have to blame is ourselves

Phil MaGlass
22-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Cannae see the problem with swearing at the match masel, although some of the vile abuse is out of order,I can see the point of moving kids to a better enviornment in the stadium but having first hand heard the swearing that comes out of kids mouths nowadays (that even makes me amazed),dont see what the problem is. Ive even heard kids of 4 and 5 telling folk to f,off ya wan--r. Still no excuse for no atmosphere, I would like to see folk not being able to purchase ST,s for the East Stand as I have noticed many who have a ST only wish to sit near the area where most of the noise is generated and not actually take part. Or ST,s at that part of the ground should only be sold to the folk who want to sing or mibbe the club could designate the singing area.(although mibbe not workable) something has to be done to generate noise.Mibbe a working group to contact the aberdeen boys and see how that was accomplished.

At my local club the supporters committee have their own wee office and stores area for flags,banners and other paraphanalie which is given out in large quantities to supporters behind the goals and then collected from the seats after the game and put back in storage .They coordinate with the club about flying banners and setting off (safe)fireworks and generally create the atmosphere in the stadium,behind the goals.Its pretty neat, as their equivelant of where the East Stand is they have their hardcore supporters who also get into the swing of chanting and singing without the banners,the noise at times is deafening.

Albanian Hibs
22-09-2009, 04:14 PM

What a lot of pish

Sexist :agree:

:greengrin

I was sat beside 2 men on Sat who blethered all the way through the match about everything other than what was happening on the pitch.

Not just the lassies who are not paying attention to the game. :wink:

I love a good sing-song. I like a good shout and swear. I am female. I have a few females sitting around where I sit in the West Lower and they certainly do not sit and chat on their phones during the match.

The atmosphere certainly is terrible just now and it has been for some time now. It's embarassing when you have 500 or so away fans outsinging us and singing "can we sing a song for you?" and "what a *****y home support" :bitchy:

Hibhibhooray
22-09-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a conspiracy-FACT. Even one of their goals actually scored has been airbrushed out :greengrin

Oops, I forgot that last one, it must have been the drink :rolleyes:

faffkid
22-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Let's ban women then. I'm sure that will cheer up all the sour faced moaners and make the atmosphere electric again like the bygone days.

faffkid
22-09-2009, 05:16 PM
What a lot of pish

Sexist :agree:

:greengrin

I love a good sing-song. I like a good shout and swear. I am female. I have a few females sitting around where I sit in the West Lower and they certainly do not sit and chat on their phones during the match.

The atmosphere certainly is terrible just now and it has been for some time now. It's embarassing when you have 500 or so away fans outsinging us and singing "can we sing a song for you?" and "what a *****y home support" :bitchy:

Totally agree. I'm a girl too and like to sit in the East Stand so I can get a sing song. I also like to get drunk and sometimes go crazy and maybe swear.
The atmosphere was a disgrace on Saturday but I think we all have to take responsibility for that.
The reason I don't like to sit in other stands at Easter Road is that if I started up a song on my own (cause there is nothing to join in with) I'd be given pelters the whole match. At least in the East it's a laugh.

Hainan Hibs
22-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Let's ban women then. I'm sure that will cheer up all the sour faced moaners and make the atmosphere electric again like the bygone days.

Best suggestion yet:thumbsup:

I don't invite myself along on my gf's shopping trips and ruin the atmosphere at New Look or Next so it would be good to see lassies giving the same respect to the men.

FranckSuzy
22-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Best suggestion yet:thumbsup:

I don't invite myself along on my gf's shopping trips and ruin the atmosphere at New Look or Next so it would be good to see lassies giving the same respect to the men.

OK, let me see if I've got this right.

it's the female supporters fault that there's no atmosphere at Hibs games, not the fact that shops don't sell single cans of Tennets Super anymore
Wumin spoil the atmosphere, not jakeys p!ssing on other people legs, shouting unfathomable words and generally being a georgie best to all around
swearing is part of men's vocabulary so by cracking down on it means there's no atmosphere?
Got it :bitchy: :wink:

Hainan Hibs
22-09-2009, 05:35 PM
OK, let me see if I've got this right.

it's the female supporters fault that there's no atmosphere at Hibs games, not the fact that shops don't sell single cans of Tennets Super anymore
Wumin spoil the atmosphere, not jakeys p!ssing on other people legs, shouting unfathomable words and generally being a georgie best to all around
swearing is part of men's vocabulary so by cracking down on it means there's no atmosphere?
Got it :bitchy: :wink:

Yep. Take away the Hello magazine reading and the non stop texting with mobile phones then the atmosphere would be back pronto.

On another note, any man who brings a wife on a european football trip should be stripped of man status.

I'll leave the thread on that note:greengrin

Landells
22-09-2009, 05:37 PM
This is what it should be like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHLWclMs_Pw

Keith_M
22-09-2009, 05:52 PM
This is what it should be like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHLWclMs_Pw

Brown scarves? Not for me, thanks

I think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iojj5oTr1DA) is what it should really be like :greengrin

marti1875
22-09-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rsr_YVRAOQ

Now that's what i call a bounce!!...:agree: The clip doesnae really get going until around 20 seconds but the whole stadium is bouncing and the noise sounds unbelievable, possibly the biggest/best "bounce" i've seen fans ever do.

I was at E.R just reently visiting and i must admit the atmosphere was lacking somewhat. It was against "Sellik" as well when usually those games against any of the bigot brothers were great atmospheres.
It just seems flat nowadays from when i was a season ticket holder both in the old way the ground was and then when it 1st got rebuilt somewhat.
Not sure what the answer is but even though it was all seated i remember the AEK Athens game beng one of he best i've heard at E.R so it shows a great atmosphere CAN be created in all seated stadiums.