PDA

View Full Version : Overdue Praise For McBride

Speedway
21-09-2009, 12:57 PM
We like our scapegoates at Hibs and with Rankin and Nish in our squad who can blame us? :duck:

However, Kevin McBride was earmarked by many to be made an immediate scapegoat when we signed him and I think it's time there some recognition for this guy.

I didn't know much about him when he signed but I heard all the negative 'McHide' comments and feared the worst.

For me, he's been the standout player of the first six games. He puts in a power of work, rarely wastes a pass, strong in the tackle, plays nice simple passes, protects the backline and is often the one making last ditch challenges when the opposition have got in behind us. He was the same in the pre-season games.

So well done from me, McBride. He may not be a 'flair player' but he's exactly what we needed in that position. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
21-09-2009, 12:58 PM
We like our scapegoates at Hibs and with Rankin and Nish in our squad who can blame us? :duck:

However, Kevin McBride was earmarked by many to be made an immediate scapegoat when we signed him and I think it's time there some recognition for this guy.

I didn't know much about him when he signed but I heard all the negative 'McHide' comments and feared the worst.

For me, he's been the standout player of the first six games. He puts in a power of work, rarely wastes a pass, strong in the tackle, plays nice simple passes, protects the backline and is often the one making last ditch challenges when the opposition have got in behind us. He was the same in the pre-season games.

So well done from me, McBride. He may not be a 'flair player' but he's exactly what we needed in that position. :thumbsup:

:top marks Well said that man :agree:

RIP
21-09-2009, 01:03 PM
McBride has the same running gait of Pat Stanton

He also lifts his head in the same manner

Baw187
21-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Agree with your assessment of McBride but am sure I've seen some positive posts about him on a few occasions since the begining of the season.

He does a lot of good work and is an integral part of the team for me.

Kerrplunk
21-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Could not agree more.......McBride has been excellent,long may it continue!!

JE89
21-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Agree :agree:

All this "my mate is a Falkirk ST holder and was glad to get rid of him" is just ridiculous, glad he's proved them wrong :agree:

FRes Hibbie
21-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Personally I think he's gash, in the games I've seen this season I've struggled to notice him do anything other than pick up a card or two but then I would use that assessment for our entire midfield - other than Wotherspoon and MAYBE Rankin.

sahib
21-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Could not agree more.......McBride has been excellent,long may it continue!!

Second that.
Yogi seems to have made good signings.

Baw187
21-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Personally I think he's gash, in the games I've seen this season I've struggled to notice him do anything other than pick up a card or two but then I would use that assessment for our entire midfield - other than Wotherspoon and MAYBE Rankin.

:confused:

Jonnyboy
21-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Out of curiosity, how many games would that be and against who?

FRes Hibbie
21-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Out of curiosity, how many games would that be and against who?

2, Falkirk and Celtic. From those two games I cannot see where all this praise has come from.

Jonnyboy
21-09-2009, 01:15 PM
2, Falkirk and Celtic. From those two games I cannot see where all this praise has come from.

Well it's a game of opinions I guess but I suspect yours will be in the minority. McBride has a specific job to do for Hibs and he does it well IMO. :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Agree :agree:

All this "my mate is a Falkirk ST holder and was glad to get rid of him" is just ridiculous, glad he's proved them wrong :agree:

Dont believe everything you read in the papers and now fans websites. Sooo many wind-ups and mis-information doing the rounds - case in point the alledged incident after the pre-season Dunfy game.

Thankfully we have key credible members who've built up reps and can quash things that get out of hand. Does get a bit tedious at times. Makes you wonder what these folks did before the internet.

MacBean
21-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Ive been extremely impressed with Kev's input at hibs. Certainly been sticking the shifts in. Only game i havent witnessed was the Hamilton game and im glad i didnt.
Hers hoping he can continue his form and gel with Miller in the centre of the park
:top marks

Kerrplunk
21-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Cannot remember McBride giving the ball away against Falkirk and against Celtic again his distribution was first class.Doesn't play many 'world cup willie' passes but highly effective at what he does do. All about opinions though :thumbsup:

FRes Hibbie
21-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Cannot remember McBride giving the ball away against Falkirk and against Celtic again his distribution was first class.Doesn't play many 'world cup willie' passes but highly effective at what he does do. All about opinions though :thumbsup:

I have to disagree. In both games we were second best in midfield, Deek won us the game at Falkirk and against celtic it was deek again that looked our most dangerous. Imo Wotherspoon was the only midfielder that looked good against Celtic.

fife hfc
21-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Mcbride has been excellent at doing the unseen work (and making it be seen:greengrin). he will never be the most exciting player in the team but covers players caught forward, tracks back and keeps the ball moving without any 'world cup passes'. Football is a simple game and he keeps it simple, just what we need to compliment players like deek, Ant and Zouma.

Ozyhibby
21-09-2009, 01:37 PM
He more than anything else is the reason we can afford to keep Bamba in defence and drop Hogg. Excellent start to his Hibs Career.

bigstu
21-09-2009, 02:11 PM
his workrate has been top notch so far this season, if everyone worked as hard as him and Ian Murray we'd be flying :agree:

lucky
21-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I really like him. He always puts a shift in and his passing is excellent. He performed really well on Saturday and i think he and Miller will be a decent midfield pairing.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Very pleasantly surprised by McBride. Had him earmarked as the new Brian Hamilton before he kicked ball, so i'm now missing a scapegoat. I need somebody to fill the Brian Kerr role, but nobody has played that consistently badly so far in the campaign. Still, early days.

Baw187
21-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Very pleasantly surprised by McBride. Had him earmarked as the new Brian Hamilton before he kicked ball, so i'm now missing a scapegoat. I need somebody to fill the Brian Kerr role, but nobody has played that consistently badly so far in the campaign. Still, early days.

Nish :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
21-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Probably out of all the signings, he seemed the least inspiring.
However he's been excellent and I'm glad others think so to.

He's very comfertable taking the ball and making passes, I also like how he looks comfertable both centrally and on the right.

I was very impressed with Cregg when I seen him v St Mirren, I am surprised he's now out of the side, but then with Liam Miller coming in, and Zemmama due to start again, we are in good shape.

Andy74
21-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Nish :agree:

And Hogg.

Ginger Gehagan
21-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Think that he's been superb so far. Also, great 40 yard pass onto Stokes chest for the first goal on Saturday shows he can do more than break opposition play up and keep it simple.

RickyS
21-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Pat was unfortunately before my time, but my uncle said exactly the same. I would be interested to find out what his passing success rate is, I think his distribution is excellent and as was said in another post he very very rarely wastes a pass. also noticed that on the off chance someones strugglin for a pass, McBride is very good at makin himself available.
All in all an excellent signin, who im reckoning is thriving playing with better players than he was for Falkirk.
Keep up the good work Kev

500miles
21-09-2009, 03:19 PM
If he were to run into the spaces ahead of him a bit, and made more cutting passes, then he would be a much better player. However, as an out and out defensive midfielder, there is no denying that he is very good at what he does - especially covering for the fullbacks and making the simple pass.

To be fair, a man playing his position will be judged, sometimes unfairly, on the performance of the players around him. I think he might work well with Miller.

I Love Lamp
21-09-2009, 03:32 PM
He's had a good bit of praise on here for previous performances to be fair.

Has shown an ability to take up a good position, pick the right pass and make it properly.

Cropley10
21-09-2009, 03:35 PM
There's a poster on the EEN website (Private Pike) who goes on about him not making an 'impression' in games.

For me McBride, who I've seen 3 times now, always makes himself available for a pass and links the play across and up the field. He's a good passer, works hard and doesn't hide.

Top marks from me. I was more than half expecting another B.Kerr.

ancient hibee
21-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I was disappointed that Hughes had pushed him further forward and alternating with Rankin.His best position is 5 yards in front of the defence where he can see the game in front of him-so he wasn't as effective on Saturday but looks a good signing and has been the most consistent in the team.

SquashedFrogg
21-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Aye, but you don't get a full appreciation of his work sitting watching it on the tv. Get yourself along to a game and watch him in the flesh. Have to say I've been very impressed with him so far.

:agree:

RIP
21-09-2009, 04:42 PM
There's a poster on the EEN website (Private Pike) who goes on about him not making an 'impression' in games.
For me McBride, who I've seen 3 times now, always makes himself available for a pass and links the play across and up the field. He's a good passer, works hard and doesn't hide.

Top marks from me. I was more than half expecting another B.Kerr.

Private Pike :lolyam:

Almost all the posters in the Hootsmon are in disguise. Yon troll is a sure-fire Yam!!

Future17
21-09-2009, 04:44 PM
If he were to run into the spaces ahead of him a bit, and made more cutting passes, then he would be a much better player. However, as an out and out defensive midfielder, there is no denying that he is very good at what he does - especially covering for the fullbacks and making the simple pass.

To be fair, a man playing his position will be judged, sometimes unfairly, on the performance of the players around him. I think he might work well with Miller.

:top marks

Top post. Was reading this thread thinking how I would begin to construct my views coherently but that's hit it on the head for me. :agree:

The bit in bold sums it up for me. Sometimes the impression he makes will suffer because the work isn't being done by the two other central midfielders.

To be fair to the players, the type of system we are using this season is VERY difficult to adopt, especially for Scottish teams as you don't often see it used so it's not something most players would have grown up learning.

I reckon that every position is being asked to do something different than previous seasons and/or previous clubs and we're going to take a while to adapt and to bring in the calibre of player capable of truly excelling in those positions.

I think that's one of the reasons the performances haven't really seemed as good as we might like this season.

iwasthere1972
21-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Spot on. Couldn't help noticing the similarities myself.

matty_f
21-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Have to agree with the OP and most of the comments already on the thread. McBride has been significantly better than I'd expected, having not really noted him for anything other than the fact Falkirk fans didn't like him.

He works his socks off (not literally), breaks up play and is always available to take a pass.

I have been very impressed with his contributions so far this season, and hope that he continues this form for the foreseeable future.:top marks

GlesgaeHibby
21-09-2009, 05:08 PM
McBride has been excellent. I guess the few supporters who think he has been average/poor don't appreciate his role in the team and expect all midfielders to be attacking players.

McBride sit's and brilliantly protects the defence, is always available for the pass and will spread the play. He is the midfielder that allows the others to play.

It's no coincidence that we struggled against Hamilton and St Johnstone on saturday due to them singling him out as our player to stop, and had a man on him all the time.

Hibs Spain
21-09-2009, 05:23 PM

So well done from me, McBride. He may not be a 'flair player' but he's exactly what we needed in that position. :thumbsup:I think he's been alright. Seems quite an intelligent player. He hasn't quite made me sit up and my seat and say"Hey .. we've got a really good one here" though.

matty_f
21-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I think he's been alright. Seems quite an intelligent player. He hasn't quite made me sit up and my seat and say"Hey .. we've got a really good one here" though.

Bet you'd love him if he was 6'5" though!:greengrin

Hibs Spain
21-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Bet you'd love him if he was 6'5" though!:greengrinNow now....:greengrin

sandporthibby
21-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Private Pike :lolyam:

Almost all the posters in the Hootsmon are in disguise. Yon troll is a sure-fire Yam!!

My first post although I have been reading Hibs.net for years.

Must take exception at your comment here as Private Pike is my dad!

He might not always be correct in his comments but he's definitely not a yam and I sit beside him at every home game. He even beats your 49 years by a little way.

I personally think that McBride would benefit from moving forward with the ball a little more instead of always shifting the responsibility to someone else with two yard passes either sideways or back. FWIW I think he will add this to his game as the season progresses and he continues his development at a better club.

That's my opinion and you'd be better served enjoying other peoples points of view rather than making false accusations when someone doesn't see it your way.

Peevemor
21-09-2009, 06:16 PM
My first post although I have been reading Hibs.net for years.

Must take exception at your comment here as Private Pike is my dad!

He might not always be correct in his comments but he's definitely not a yam and I sit beside him at every home game. He even beats your 49 years by a little way.

I personally think that McBride would benefit from moving forward with the ball a little more instead of always shifting the responsibility to someone else with two yard passes either sideways or back. FWIW I think he will add this to his game as the season progresses and he continues his development at a better club.

That's my opinion and you'd be better served enjoying other peoples points of view rather than making false accusations when someone doesn't see it your way.

Welcome to the board and get your dad on here as well - the more the merrier. :thumbsup:

Cropley10
21-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I personally think that McBride would benefit from moving forward with the ball a little more instead of always shifting the responsibility to someone else with two yard passes either sideways or back.

McBride does take responsibility, he is told to sit deep for a reason, hence why he doesn't bring the ball out. Nor does he pass it two yards sideways or back either.

But it does seem like you and your Dad share exactly the same view. Maybe you both missed his assist to Deek on Saturday...

sandporthibby
21-09-2009, 07:25 PM
McBride does take responsibility, he is told to sit deep for a reason, hence why he doesn't bring the ball out. Nor does he pass it two yards sideways or back either.

But it does seem like you and your Dad share exactly the same view. Maybe you both missed his assist to Deek on Saturday...

I agree that he sits deep under instruction from Yogi. I just believe that playing at home to St Johnstone we don't need a player doing that. I think that the first half hour when saints dominated the midfield bore this out.

I think McBride does have the workrate and the ability to do more which I think we will see as the season goes on. The midfield has been a major problem for a couple of seasons now and there are very positive signs that we are turning the corner and McBride and Miller together in the centre may be the answer. I thought both players showed good potential on Saturday/

I must have missed McBride's assist on Saturday as I thought that the ball had come back of a saints player when Deek scored. Not seen the highlights yet but fair play if he did.

Danderhall Hibs
21-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I must have missed McBride's assist on Saturday as I thought that the ball had come back of a saints player when Deek scored. Not seen the highlights yet but fair play if he did.

I thought so as well mate and I thought it came off the St J player from a Wotherspoon shot.

sandporthibby
21-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the board and get your dad on here as well - the more the merrier. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been meaning to post for a while and look forward to now joining in the big debates about our beloved team.

ACLeith
21-09-2009, 07:44 PM
A few of us on Saturday were agreeing that he came close to being our MOTM. We said this because he hardly ever misplaced a pass (OK, quite a few were short ones, but they still often took an opposition player out of the game); he was regularly there to help out a colleague; he picked up a lot of knocked-down second balls; put in his fair share of tackles and got in the opposition faces a lot.

In other words, he did all the "unseen" work :duck:

Of all the new signings, he was probably the least exciting and brought few high hopes, but if he can keep his form going over the season then he may turn out to be the best of them all.

Maybe Yogi does know a little bit more about this game than most of us on here do ? :agree:

hibsbollah
21-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Mcbride has been excellent at doing the unseen work (and making it be seen:greengrin). he will never be the most exciting player in the team but covers players caught forward, tracks back and keeps the ball moving without any 'world cup passes'. Football is a simple game and he keeps it simple, just what we need to compliment players like deek, Ant and Zouma.

The return of 'unseen work':faf:
I thought this phenomenon had left Easter Road with Brian Kerr:top marks

Hibs Spain
21-09-2009, 07:52 PM
A few of us on Saturday were agreeing that he came close to being our MOTM. We said this because he hardly ever misplaced a pass (OK, quite a few were short ones, but they still often took an opposition player out of the game); he was regularly there to help out a colleague; he picked up a lot of knocked-down second balls; put in his fair share of tackles and got in the opposition faces a lot.

Of all the new signings, he was probably the least exciting and brought few high hopes, but if he can keep his form going over the season then he may turn out to be the best of them all.

Maybe Yogi does know a little bit more about this game than most of us on here do ? :agree: A short pass that takes an opposition player out of the game beats a long hopeful punt every day for me..You can build on that and start or keep a move going :agree:

sandporthibby
21-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Maybe Yogi does know a little bit more about this game than most of us on here do ? :agree:

Fair enough assesment of Saturday. Didn't think he was MOTM but he worked very hard and covered for McCormack on a number of occasions when caught out of position. He was certainly one of our better players on the day.

I think you're right and as I previously said he will develop and improve as the season progresses. Certainly prefer him to Cregg at the moment who seems a wee bit out of his depth although it's a bit early to judge.

Mibbes Aye
21-09-2009, 07:56 PM

I can understand shouts for Stokes and Bamba but McBride impressed me most on Saturday - sheer consistency, workrate and keeping the ball moving.

He does the unseen work in a way that you can see :greengrin

hibsbollah
21-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I can understand shouts for Stokes and Bamba but McBride impressed me most on Saturday - sheer consistency, workrate and keeping the ball moving.

Does Nade do 'unseen' work?

Mibbes Aye
21-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Does Nade do 'unseen' work?

Naw, he's just pish.

hibsbollah
21-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Naw, he's just pish.

You say that, but how do we really know?:hide:

sandporthibby
21-09-2009, 08:09 PM
You say that, but how do we really know?:hide:

The proof is in his numerous puddings!

ACLeith
21-09-2009, 08:30 PM
A short pass that takes an opposition player out of the game beats a long hopeful punt every day for me..You can build on that and start or keep a move going :agree:

When he looked to be playing the "world cup" pass late on to Zemmama on the right wing I thought he was going to undo some of what we had been saying, but he laid it on a "sixpence" (that's 2½p to those under 35!), could have been watching Barca :wink:

ACLeith
21-09-2009, 08:36 PM

:faf: After this thread, what are the odds he has a stinker tomorrow night ? Naw, he must have started to read this messageboard by now, he realises how much we appreciate him, that will boost his confidence even more, so when he is again a standout, we can all take most of the credit :greengrin

PS I am not Kevin McBride, nor his father, gran, agent ......

Jonnyboy
21-09-2009, 08:49 PM

His assist was in passing the ball to Stokes for the first goal :wink:

Kato
22-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Add me to his admirers so far. For a team to play football with a bit flair you need some grafters and he's non-stop.

Football is pretty simple and he does the simple things well and with good timing.

Andy74
22-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I read with a bit of horror the stuff the falkirk fans were saying about him when he was rumoured to be joining and then when he joined, until 1 thing I read which said that if we wanted to keep the ball that was fine becasue he would keep it all day.

To me that actually sounded to be just what we needed, we didn't have anyone in midfield last year that could do the Boozy thing and just keep the ball under pressure and take it from the centre halfs and play it on.

Well, he's done just that. Maybe Falkirk didn't have enough players in forward areas that could do all the other stuff so they got frustrated that there was someone just doing simple things when they needed something more.

Anyway, I like him and suspect he's just about the first name on the teamsheet.

Mon Dieu4
22-09-2009, 01:56 PM
His assist was in passing the ball to Stokes for the first goal :wink:

Did McCormack not pass that ball? :confused:

Speedway
22-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Did McCormack not pass that ball? :confused:

Nope.

Future17
22-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Tin hat on for you my friend, this thread is about to taking a Nade-sized pounding.

Diclonius
22-09-2009, 09:16 PM
:faf: After this thread, what are the odds he has a stinker tomorrow night ? Naw, he must have started to read this messageboard by now, he realises how much we appreciate him, that will boost his confidence even more, so when he is again a standout, we can all take most of the credit :greengrin

PS I am not Kevin McBride, nor his father, gran, agent ......

You're psychic.

Albanian Hibs
22-09-2009, 09:18 PM
He was brutal tonight..so were the other 10 though :rolleyes:

Speedway
22-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Tin hat on for you my friend, this thread is about to taking a Nade-sized pounding.

Why? Because he's had a poor game in a team where everyone had a poor game?

Does this change the assessment of the player?

ceecee
22-09-2009, 09:41 PM
You said it. Totally outplayed in the middle tonight. Gash.

DBHibs
22-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Thought McBride was okay first half tonight but was bloody awful in the second. He also managed to pick up a daft booking too.

Hibs90
22-09-2009, 09:47 PM
McBride was our best player tonight but was still rubbish which says alot.

Future17
22-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Why? Because he's had a poor game in a team where everyone had a poor game?

Does this change the assessment of the player?

To be fair, I didn't say it was neccesarily a deserved-pounding, but a thread like this praising a player who is always going to divide opinion is an easy-target after a team display like tonight.

FWIW, I actually thought he started both halves quite well but for the majority of the game tonight he was embarrassing to watch.

As I said previously on this thread, McBride does require his colleagues in central-midfield to be on their game in order to do his limited job effectively however, when they're not at the races (and tonight was a perfect example) he is a passenger.

He can't tackle - and by tackle I mean challenge.....for anything.....on the deck or in the air. No strength, very little courage and the tackles he did make were reckless.

Passing - while I can accept that he isn't there to play defence-splitting passes, if he is going to stick to the simple things, he has to do them well. He takes far too long to make the simplest of passes.

Someone else on this thread mentioned that they'd rather see one short pass take a player out the game than a player attempting to spray "World Cup passes". Fair enough, but a short pass only takes a player out of the game if it's made quickly and decisively. His dithering on the ball cost us at times tonight.

Finally, McBride probably wasn't Hibs worst player tonight, but I can't think of anyone who was worse, which is a sign of the importance of his position to the team. It may be a case of needing time to grow into the role and games to get familiar with it, but if Hughes continues to pick on form like he has done by dropping Hogg, I don't think McBride will get either.