PDA

View Full Version : Attitude Needs To Be Spot On For 2nd Saints Visit...

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2009, 08:17 AM
...or we're out of the League Cup, and our best chance of picking up silverware this season. (I know the Scottish is easier to win as it has no seeding, but we're pretty much jinxed in that).

Saints showed enough on Saturday to suggest that they could defeat us, and, perhaps I'm still suffering from Hamilton trauma, but I worry that the players got a comprehensive win too easily, and might not be up for the undoubted scrap this cup-tie will be.

Anybody else share my concerns?

RoYO!
21-09-2009, 08:27 AM
totally agree.

could have easily been a goal or two down after the first 15 or so.

anyone in this league can beat anyone else on their day. hibs have to want it more than the saints. however after that nightmare at NDP think yogi will get the best out of them.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 08:28 AM
...or we're out of the League Cup, and our best chance of picking up silverware this season. (I know the Scottish is easier to win as it has no seeding, but we're pretty much jinxed in that).

Saints showed enough on Saturday to suggest that they could defeat us, and, perhaps I'm still suffering from Hamilton trauma, but I worry that the players got a comprehensive win too easily, and might not be up for the undoubted scrap this cup-tie will be.

We are Hibs - need I say any more :cool2:
Perhaps Yogi needs to give them a history lesson then tell them to go out and make history (for the right reasons!)

Ritchie
21-09-2009, 08:33 AM
i think we'll win if yogi brings in some of the players who havent featured as much this season like byrne, galbraith, zemamma, benji, stevenson and even cregg & hogg who has been dropped in recent weeks.... only because they will give it 100% to try and get into yogis plans.

team i'd go with.......

maka
mccormack bamba hogg stevenson
zemmama murray cregg galbraith
benji byrne

think the above team could easily beat st johnstone and at the same time give us a good idea if we have enough squad depth to last the season.

saying all that, i dont think he'll change the time from saturday at all! :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
21-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Me. Real potential for defeat tommorow unless the team are fully focused.

TheBall'sRound
21-09-2009, 09:16 AM
i think we'll win if yogi brings in some of the players who havent featured as much this season like byrne, galbraith, zemamma, benji, stevenson and even cregg & hogg who has been dropped in recent weeks.... only because they will give it 100% to try and get into yogis plans.

team i'd go with.......

maka
benji byrne

think the above team could easily beat st johnstone and at the same time give us a good idea if we have enough squad depth to last the season.

saying all that, i dont think he'll change the time from saturday at all! :rolleyes:

Stokes and Miller will only play if they are rested but I imagine they will be desperate to get another game under their belts - if they are able they will almost definitely play.

MacBean
21-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Stokes and Miller will only play if they are rested but I imagine they will be desperate to get another game under their belts - if they are able they will almost definitely play.

:agree:

GlesgaeHibby
21-09-2009, 09:27 AM

And so they should. We should be fielding our strongest available team in every game we play.

EskbankHibby
21-09-2009, 10:29 AM
And so they should. We should be fielding our strongest available team in every game we play.

Agreed. In particular i would not like to see Yogi tamper with the Murray/Bamba CH partnership, looked good on Saturday (aside from a few stray Bamba passes early doors), Murray read the game very well.

Stokes needs games and from his previous spell at Falkirk he seems to be a confidence/streak player so resting him doesn't make sense, might keep him off George Street as well!

We are Hibs and are well capable of getting beat on Tuesday but hopefully Yogi gets the players up for it, if we start well we will win the game imo.

Andy74
21-09-2009, 10:34 AM
On Saturdays overall showing I'd have Galbraith in for Riordan! :duck:

ancienthibby
21-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I would think that Yogi took Stokes off for the very reason that he intends to start him in each of the next two games, to help get his fitness up; Likewise he subbed Deeks as well so that both the Moroccans could get game time and I suspect that with Ramadam ending, he may want Deeks and Stokes to get the game won and then get Benji and Zouma on later.

Only enforced change will be for Rankin - does that mean a start for Galbraith??:thumbsup:

H18sry
21-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Remember last season :grr: Mixu played a weakened team against Morton [a team our weakened team should easily have beaten] and we lost :grr:

We should always play the strongest team available in every cup game to give us the best chance of progressing :agree:

TrinityHibs
21-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Is it all ticket tomorrow or will there be pay at the gate?

Dinkydoo
21-09-2009, 11:31 AM

I certainly do.

We could have been a few goals down within 15 minutes on Saturday. I honestly don't think that St J will be so wastefull second time round and will be even more determined to win this match.

Unless the players have the correct mentality we are going to lose this game within the first twenty minutes just like the Hamilton game I'm afraid...

Green Mikey
21-09-2009, 11:47 AM

team i'd go with.......

maka
benji byrne

There's no way Yogi will change the team that much. Maybe a couple of players but not 8:rolleyes:

Think we might see a Zemmama and maybe Cregg coming into the side.

Jim44
21-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I think if Hughes plays the same team as Saturday, we are in danger of losing the game. I think a couple of changes would be more likely to upset St J. and as somebody says would inject a 'must win' mentality to the team. I would drop Riordan and possibly also stokes. There's room for Benji, Zemmama and Galbraith if Hughes has the guts to ring the changes. Let's face it, St. J. could have had the game sewn up in the first half and if they see the same team against them they may not let us off so lightly next time.

Phil D. Rolls
21-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I think St Johnstone will have taken positives from Saturday's game, and will probably have left thinking they can do us on Tuesday.

We have to be more careful with the ball, and we have to get a grip on Murray Davidson, I thought he was excellent and he will know he can score against us.

Likewise their defenders will look to get tighter on Deeks and Stokes. They both scored good goals, but when you look at the replays they were given a fair bit of time to put them away.

Green Mikey
21-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I think if Hughes plays the same team as Saturday, we are in danger of losing the game. I think a couple of changes would be more likely to upset St J. and as somebody says would inject a 'must win' mentality to the team. I would drop Riordan and possibly also stokes. There's room for Benji, Zemmama and Galbraith if Hughes has the guts to ring the changes. Let's face it, St. J. could have had the game sewn up in the first half and if they see the same team against them they may not let us off so lightly next time.

:confused::confused::confused:

Why would Yogi drop our top scorer in Riordan and Stokes who scored 2 on Saturday?

If we are trying to get a 'must win' mentality then dropping Saturday's match winners would be a strange start.

euro Hibby
21-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Did not see the game as I live far away.... but follow as much as I can. Logic would assume that some changes are required but then again no matches are the same.

I would probably like to see Benji , Galbraith and Zemmena get more game time and might hold back Deeks and Stokes for the last 30 minutes.

euro Hibby
21-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I should say that Riordan and Stokes are not dropped, rested to be used later.

EskbankHibby
21-09-2009, 12:07 PM

By dropping his captain on Saturday i think it's fair to say Hughes has the guts to make changes where necessary.

Green Mikey
21-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I should say that Riordan and Stokes are not dropped, rested to be used later.

Rested:confused:

We are only a few games into the season and we are resting players already? St J caused us problems on Saturday and the main reason we beat them is better finishing from quality players ie Stokes and Riordan. Resting/dropping these two would see us lose the edge that allowed us to beat them.

Speedway
21-09-2009, 12:13 PM
What I'd like to see is us doing what the Saints did to us and getting in their faces in the first 15 with the difference being that we're a couple up after half an hour.

We know the Saints don't have the quality to come back at us and so this would break their spirits nice and early and allow us to be a lot less shakey as a team.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2009, 12:27 PM
This cup is probably out best chance of any silverware this season. We should field our strongest side possible, we dont want to exit this competition early again. Its important to get as far in both cup competitions as possible, the money we can earn is so important to us.

WindyMiller
21-09-2009, 04:31 PM

team i'd go with.......

maka
benji byrne

Your team would get raped!

Andy74
21-09-2009, 04:38 PM
This cup is probably out best chance of any silverware this season. We should field our strongest side possible, we dont want to exit this competition early again. Its important to get as far in both cup competitions as possible, the money we can earn is so important to us.

Yep okay, I'd give Riordan until half time then and if his general play is the same as it was on Saturday I'd have Galbraith on who looked a real danger, and hungry.

jgl07
21-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Hibs must play their strongest team on Tuesday. Realistically this is Hibs best chance of silverware so no chances should be taken against what it cleary a very good SPL side.

That suggests that Miller, Riordan and Stokes will start. Miller and Stokes are really in need of games to get to full match fitness anyway.

I agree with the earlier comment that Benji and Zooma are likely second half substitutes. That assumes that neither start the match. I assume that Nish will be available as an option from the bench for this match.

It is probably time for a bit of stability at the back so no changes in the back four for the sake of it. Time for the back four to get used to playing together. Having said that McCormack to be replaced is the most likely change.

ancient hibee
21-09-2009, 05:35 PM
I know football is all about opinions but it staggers me that it should be suggested that the guys who won the game should be left out while the centre halves who were saved by the total ineptitude of the St.J.strikers-at least 5 gilt edged chances in the second half should be unchanged-Bamba actually was outpaced by Deuchar who is about as quick as the Scott Monument.The total aversion to crosses in the centre of the box made me think we had Dracula in there.

Bristolhibby
21-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I know football is all about opinions but it staggers me that it should be suggested that the guys who won the game should be left out while the centre halves who were saved by the total ineptitude of the St.J.strikers-at least 5 gilt edged chances in the second half should be unchanged-Bamba actually was outpaced by Deuchar who is about as quick as the Scott Monument.The total aversion to crosses in the centre of the box made me think we had Dracula in there.

Made me laugh. :faf:

whiskyhibby
21-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Once bitten twice shy hopefully, althoughn SJ could have scored a couple after the first 10 minutes, once we got into our game, although not creatingmuch initially I thought the defence pretty well mopped up everything thrown at them, SJ didn't really look like scoring again until the shot that was cleared off the line.................from about a foot past the line!!

Predicting more comfortable game this time around 4-1 to the Hibees!!

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

goosano
21-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Yep okay, I'd give Riordan until half time then and if his general play is the same as it was on Saturday I'd have Galbraith on who looked a real danger, and hungry.

I thought Deek played pretty well on Saturday-we had great trouble moving the ball from defence to midfield and forward without a hoof-he came back a couple of times and helped build attacks-and of course he scored from a scrap-typical deeks

Agree that Galbraith is worth a run though-has real pace, something we've missed since IS left

stubru59
21-09-2009, 06:33 PM
We can pick who we like for this game but if the if attitude and/or commitment is not there we will lose.

Rode our luck on Saturday, but this time we need to take the game to the opposition and create and convert our chances.

hibsdaft
21-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Attire needs to be spot on for 2nd Saints visit too

crash
21-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Can't believe the arrogance of some of the posters on here, talking about resting players, as if we were playing a team from a lower league. Most of the best performances on Saturday were from players in blue jerseys, with Jody Morris the pick of them. We couldn't fashion a decent attack in 90 mins. Cup runs are vital for us this season and I expect Yogi to field the strongest side available.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Can't believe the arrogance of some of the posters on here, talking about resting players, as if we were playing a team from a lower league. Most of the best performances on Saturday were from players in blue jerseys, with Jody Morris the pick of them. We couldn't fashion a decent attack in 90 mins. Cup runs are vital for us this season and I expect Yogi to field the strongest side available.

:top marks:agree::agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
21-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Regardless of whether Yogi picks the best XI possible or fields a team made up of the under-19s and Tam McCourt, if the players are not "at it", we'll get rolled over.

Luckily, I watched Yogi earlier in an interview stating that "we're not good enough to rest players" and that he wants his strongest XI out there.

I think I am in love with John Hughes. There, I've said it.

lapsedhibee
21-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Predicting more comfortable game this time around 4-1 to the Hibees!!

I really dunno what any of this thread's about. It was unanimously agreed before Saturday's match that no team ever wins both games of a double header. The best we could have hoped for was a win and a draw. Since tomorrow's match must be played out to a conclusion and we won the first match, the result is already certain and it don't matter who we include in or include out. :confused:

Sas_The_Hibby
21-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Regardless of whether Yogi picks the best XI possible or fields a team made up of the under-19s and Tam McCourt, if the players are not "at it", we'll get rolled over.

Luckily, I watched Yogi earlier in an interview stating that "we're not good enough to rest players" and that he wants his strongest XI out there.

I think I am in love with John Hughes. There, I've said it.

Do you want to have his babies, though?! :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
21-09-2009, 07:58 PM

What on Earth makes you think that?!?

.......................oh, yeah, now I remember. :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
21-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Do you want to have his babies, though?! :greengrin

No, I just want to get close enough to him to whisper ever so gently and tenderly into his ear, "Get Nish tae ******" :wink:

ACLeith
21-09-2009, 09:01 PM
We've got a lot in common with StJ - founded a long time ago (and before the lesser greens); well run financially, a real community club, try to play a decent passing game - and lose matches because they can't convert their possession into goals :agree:

Speaking to a good friend on Sunday who has a ST with them, she was really angry that they had blown it whilst playing neat football - and not for the first time this season. I didn't like to bring up the semi two years ago :wink:

History shows we always beat them when they play well ? And if we hit top form then we will come out on top ? So, it should be a canter in the park for us tomorrow night ? Or do we instead do it the tradititional Hibs way ? Will Mr Morais sucker us if he's back ?

The title of this thread is definitely 100% right :agree:

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Attire needs to be spot on for 2nd Saints visit too

I refuse to let my standards slip for midweek or cup games.

mjhibby
22-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes the saintess played well on saturday but yogi made a few changes which meant hibs took time to settle on saturday.The fact is though the object of the game is putting the ball in the net and we are blessed with many who can do that and saintees are struggling in that dept.It is however a cup tie and anything can happen but i expect us to be tighter tonight,as will they and whoever takes their chances will win,which will hopefully be us.
I fancy it could be a high scoring game and more time for miller emmamma will take a more promonent role and once him and benji get over ramadan the we should be creating ever more chances.:thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
22-09-2009, 10:32 AM
The good thing this season is we have a strong bench and quality that can come on and help turn games for us.
I fear we'll again start slowly and be behind tonight, thus relying on a change of fortunes 2nd half and the likes of Benji/Zemmama required to come on and get us level / win.
We can't gift the chances they missed on Sat, this time they'll put them away.

ian cruise
22-09-2009, 12:16 PM
we can't afford to drop riordan or stokes. we need them there to win games at the minute. the team haven't quite gelled together but those two give us the ability to win games we aernt playing well in.

i believe it will be the same line up unless anyone is injured however i'd like zemmema and benji to get a bit more of a run out, a full 45mins would be good.

ideally a 4-4-2 formation (actually ideally a 3-5-2 but thats unrealistic!), no more 4-3-3 for me, that's where i believe our problems have started this season, it gives temas too much space to really have a go at us.

Phil D. Rolls
22-09-2009, 04:03 PM
we can't afford to drop riordan or stokes. we need them there to win games at the minute. the team haven't quite gelled together but those two give us the ability to win games we aernt playing well in.

i believe it will be the same line up unless anyone is injured however i'd like zemmema and benji to get a bit more of a run out, a full 45mins would be good.

ideally a 4-4-2 formation (actually ideally a 3-5-2 but thats unrealistic!), no more 4-3-3 for me, that's where i believe our problems have started this season, it gives temas too much space to really have a go at us.

:agree:

The_Todd
22-09-2009, 04:28 PM
To me, the CIS Cup is the one beacon of hope for Hibs. Apart from finishing 3rd, winning the CIS is the only realistic ambition we can have (as long as the OF are in town).

So, this means a full strength line up and the players looking like they realise how important the match is.

And, finally, GERRINTAETHEM!