PDA

View Full Version : Question What ever happened to Chris Reid

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 07:53 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Reid

Unfortunate to be understudy to two of the best keepers we've ever had.

IIRC was also coming on to a game when he broke his (ankle?) against Dundee and never really featured much after that. Only 38 even no but appears he bowed out 6 years ago. Looks like a career of unfortunate serious injuries - injured in his first game with Hamilton!

Another Hibee that got to live the dream all but too briefly. Possibly held out too long waiting for his chance and may have been better served moving on?

rainman
21-09-2009, 07:55 AM

IIRC was also coming on to a game when he broke his (ankle?) against Dundee and never really featured much after that. Only 38 even no but appears he bowed out 6 years ago. Looks like a career of unfortunate serious injuries - injured in his first game with Hamilton!

Another Hibee that got to live the dream all but too briefly. Possibly held out too long waiting for his chance and may have been better served moving on?

Can remember a howler in a midweek cup game against Dundee Utd. Barry lavety scored early on but reid threw one in and I think they scored in extra time.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Can remember a howler in a midweek cup game against Dundee Utd. Barry lavety scored early on but reid threw one in and I think they scored in extra time.

I'm glad the days of hibs keepers throwing the points away with monumental gaffs, have finally gone forever.:wink:

Toaods
21-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Last I knew, Chris works for NATS (National Air Traffic Services) down Southampton way and plays for the works team when they are in action.

I'm sure Southampton Hibs can provide more of an update.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Last I knew, Chris works for NATS (National Air Traffic Services) down Southampton way and plays for the works team when they are in action.

Ah, that will explain Derek's trip to the south coast.:wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 09:08 AM

His brother - Paul used to post in the old days of the HibsList one of the originals with "insider" info. I'm sure his bro' worked in something related to NATS as I recall.

thefamousfive
21-09-2009, 09:22 AM
A few years back he worked in Scottish Widows and did since he was a part time player at the time

johnrebus
21-09-2009, 09:44 AM
He played a blinder against us for Stirling Albion the season we reached the SCF ( 2001 )

McManus got the winner in the fog..........,

:rolleyes:

Wilson
21-09-2009, 10:10 AM

What position? :devil:

Toaods
21-09-2009, 10:43 AM
What position? :devil:

dunno mate, I'm CAA....:wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 10:46 AM
dunno mate, I'm CAA....:wink:

But at least you might be able to confirm he's not entirely fallen off the radar :greengrin

Gregor
21-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Chris was inexplicably dropped vs Aberdeen up at Todders and replaced with Gottskalksson (how many second chances did that muppet get?) when Billy McNeil came along to "assist" captaining Duffy's Titanic. I suspect that was when his footballing career hit rock bottom.

Harsh, harsh treament for a lad who'd been diligently with us his whole career.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Chris was inexplicably dropped vs Aberdeen up at Todders and replaced with Gottskalksson (how many second chances did that muppet get?) when Billy McNeil came along to "assist" captaining Duffy's Titanic. I suspect that was when his footballing career hit rock bottom.

Harsh, harsh treament for a lad who'd been diligently with us his whole career.

Dont expect that sorry episode will feature in any of the memoirs of Billy.

Gregor
21-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Dont expect that sorry episode will feature in any of the memoirs of Billy.

It's certainly not noted in his Wikipedia entry. Perhaps this oversight should be rectified.

Hibby K
21-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Chris left Scottish Widows about 3 years ago (I used to work beside him) and did move to Southampton for a better job although haven't heard anything else about him since he left.
Don't know if he's still playing football but he did take up long distance running fairly seriously and did the Edinburgh Marathon in quite a respectable time (3 hours something) not long before he moved south.

Gregor
21-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Here's the game I was referring to earlier:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-miller-helps-miller-to-wind-up-hibernian-1143676.html

And the game that immediately followed McNeil's appointment ; an unpleasant 1-2 defeat at home to Raith:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-millar-two-hot-for-hibs-1140871.html

Reminding myself of that period makes me feel sick to the core.

Keith_M
21-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Seriously? In that case, I'll see if I can get in touch.

I'll let him know you're all looking for a 'career update'. Watch this space......

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-09-2009, 02:30 PM
In Andy Goram's autobiography, there is a picture of him and Chris Reid and he describes him as a great prospect. Mind you, that book contains nae bits about drinking, the UDA, Caravan rocking or poking dodgy blonde barmaids with gold chains, so it may well not be authentic.

RickyS
21-09-2009, 02:43 PM

I remember him being a good goalkeeper, did he just leave footy altogether when he left us? or did he move on elsewhere?

Part/Time Supporter
21-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I remember him being a good goalkeeper, did he just leave footy altogether when he left us? or did he move on elsewhere?

Reid left Hibs in 1998 to sign for Hamilton Academical, but he suffered a bad injury on his debut for Hamilton.[4] He left Hamilton in 2000 to sign for Stirling Albion. Reid played in 78 league matches in three seasons for Stirling.

SouthamptonHibs
21-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Hail Hail Toads, Chris works down here in the same co as me, he plays in our 5's team when he's free. Our 5's team play's in Hibs tops:thumbsup:
Chris is different class in the sticks we're unbeaten in over two years:agree:

Happy days

Dibben
21-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I remember his debut - v's Dunfermline at EEP, around 1989. Goram was either injured or suspended. He played a blinder that day.

He never really got the chance he deserved at ER. Around that time we had both Chris and Jason Gardiner on our books - both tipped to be top players!! Never worked out for either of them!! Shame.

BH.

Keith_M
21-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Hail Hail Toads, Chris works down here in the same co as me, he plays in our 5's team when he's free. Our 5's team play's in Hibs tops:thumbsup:

Happy days

Do you then work for NATS? If so, we've had a few of the guys from your work visiting here (Frequentis, Vienna) regularly for the last year or so. You haven't been over as well, by any chance?

Hibs Spain
21-09-2009, 05:28 PM
He played a blinder against us for Stirling Albion the season we reached the SCF ( 2001 )

:rolleyes:Wasn't so good when S Albion knocked us out of something .. Sure Chris Jackson scored a goal for them?

Ghaax
21-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Seems he was at Hamilton for the end of both the 1998 and 1999 seasons then. Must have been injured and no playing in May '98 as Chris reckons he must be one of the few professionals in the world that has been relegated 3 times in a row with different teams.:faf::faf:

Top class jinx, Reidy!:devil:

On a better note - he played against wee fat Slobbo in maybe 13 games (IIRC) and the fat boy never scored a single goal against him. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok - it was mostly reserve games but there cannae be many goalies anywhere, far less just for Hibs, that can claim that!

Mind you - these stats came from the man himself so who knows if they are true :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: He did like a wee blether tae himself!

Dibben
21-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Wasn't so good when S Albion knocked us out of something .. Sure Chris Jackson scored a goal for them?

:agree:

Stirling Albion knocked us out of the SC in the replay. Chris Jackson scored the winner at Forthbank!!

BH.

barcahibs
21-09-2009, 10:03 PM

:rolleyes:

I think I remember that game, the weather was terrible; we were stood right behind the goals and at times you couldn't see the penalty box at the other end for the fog.
Chris showed his worth for the Hibs support one last time by giving those behind his goal a running commentary on what was going on at the other end!

HibbyAndy
21-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I remember his debut - v's Dunfermline at EEP, around 1989. Goram was either injured or suspended. He played a blinder that day.
He never really got the chance he deserved at ER. Around that time we had both Chris and Jason Gardiner on our books - both tipped to be top players!! Never worked out for either of them!! Shame.

BH.

:agree:

I was just a boy then but do indeed remember CR playing an absolute stormer that day! game finished 0-0 IIRC.

Toaods
21-09-2009, 10:50 PM

Happy days

P 2 W 2 D 0 L O F 2 A 0 Pts 6

Do you then work for NATS? If so, we've had a few of the guys from your work visiting here (Frequentis, Vienna) regularly for the last year or so. You haven't been over as well, by any chance?

..if he had been you'd have known...:cheers: :singing: :bevvied!:

jgl07
22-09-2009, 12:11 AM
[url]

What do you mean two?

Goram, Burridge, and Leighton!

SouthamptonHibs
22-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Yip I work for NATS mate but don't do any of the travelling

Hail Hail

Viva_Palmeiras
22-09-2009, 10:19 AM
What do you mean two?

Goram, Burridge, and Leighton!

Burridge was at the club for a relatively short spell. Was he better than Roughy? I suggest not and was consicious of getting embroiled into a debate so kept it simple.

From what I remember of Budgie...

whilst a big presence, he was relatively immobile, stayed on his line a fair bit although his double save against Rangers (Johnson and McCoist?) was key to us winning the game. Does that put him up there with the best? Leighton and Goram consistently pulled off sublime world-class saves. Whilst Leighton stuggled with the backpass rule change and did have the occasional flap they were about as good as it gets IMO. I'll qualify this by stating that I can only base this from 1987 onwards.

ballengeich
22-09-2009, 10:21 AM
If my memory's right he got injured again with Stirling Albion and never came back. Same happened at Stirling to Jason Gardiner - sad coincidence for two ex-Hibs keepers.

Steve-O
22-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I saw him down Northfield way a few times over the past few years, usually out jogging. Assume he lived around there somewhere.

Keith_M
22-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Yip I work for NATS mate but don't do any of the travelling

Hail Hail

Shame, would be nice to have a fellow Hibby over here for a good blether.

By the way, can your colleagues drink or what! :wink:

Scouse Hibee
22-09-2009, 12:18 PM
If my memory's right he got injured again with Stirling Albion and never came back. Same happened at Stirling to Jason Gardiner - sad coincidence for two ex-Hibs keepers.

Still in touch with Jason from the Jenners days, now a joiner.

Toaods
22-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Shame, would be nice to have a fellow Hibby over here for a good blether.

By the way, can your colleagues drink or what! :wink:

they've got nothing on our man when he does a late night bevvied-up online booking and arrives at The Nip for opening time of a Sunday morning....:faf: