PDA

View Full Version : (Some HC) What ever happened to the U19's of 2006

TheUsualSuspect
21-09-2009, 05:26 AM
I was just having a wee think to myself the other day about the The under 19's that got to the U19 Euro Champs and got beat by spain.

Obviously we know about Fletcher, Dorrans, McNeil, elliot and wallace but what happened to the rest of them? are they all rotting away n the reserves somewhere??

to be honest i thought it was a great achievement for them and would have expected to hear more about them and thought they would have went onto better things, maybe being picked now for the senior Scotland squad.

Is it the lack of nurturing that has meant that only a two of them are playing at a higher level now or is it that they just weren't that good and neither were the rest of the teams?

anybody know where they are now?

rainman
21-09-2009, 05:34 AM
I was just having a wee think to myself the other day about the The under 19's that got to the U19 Euro Champs and got beat by spain.

Obviously we know about Fletcher, Dorrans, McNeil, elliot and wallace but what happened to the rest of them? are they all rotting away n the reserves somewhere??

to be honest i thought it was a great achievement for them and would have expected to hear more about them and thought they would have went onto better things, maybe being picked now for the senior Scotland squad.

Is it the lack of nurturing that has meant that only a two of them are playing at a higher level now or is it that they just weren't that good and neither were the rest of the teams?

anybody know where they are now?

Taking the 2 yams as examples.

Elliott and Wallace were great prospects and were expected to progress into full internationals. Before Shabba came in, these two players were being abused by their own support week in, week out. if you could take a snap shot of the kickback threads about that time, most supporters wanted them emptied.

Wallace has came onto a game again and I think he will go onto better things. Elliott was passed around various clubs, came back in with Shabba and seems to be in favour again although it looks like a the mixture of bad management, bad coaching, high expectations and abuse from the sidelines has taken their toll on him.

I couldn't name many other players off the top of my head but you can guarantee you could put their lack of progression down at least one of the factors that effected Elliott.

Winston Ingram
21-09-2009, 06:59 AM
i'm sure that Cave-Brown felly got emptied fae Norwich. We emptied Ross Campbell

micksoo
21-09-2009, 08:38 AM
There was a list of what they are all doing in the Sun on Saturday!

TheUsualSuspect
21-09-2009, 03:26 PM
unfortunately i'm in the far outreaches of China so getting the Sun is a bit hard.

do you remember the headline of the article so i can search for it, or do you know a link for it?

cheers

Hanny
21-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Team that lost in the final:

Andy McNeil - Released by Hibs, trials with Livi and Clyde, now with Montrose

Andrew Cave-Brown - Spent time on loan at King's Lynn, now with Leyton Orient

Scott Cuthbert (c) - Left Celtic after time out on loan, now with Swindon Town

Jamie Adams - Still playing with Kilmarnock, spent time on loan with QotS

Lee Wallace - Still with Hearts

Simon Ferry - Still on Celtic's books, on loan at Swindon Town

Greg Cameron - Still with Dundee Utd after three spells on loan elsewhere

Charlie Grant - Still with Celtic

Ryan Conroy - Still with Celtic

Michael McGlinchey - Left Celtic, now with Central Coast Mariners in New Zealand

Calum Elliot - Still with Hearts

Subs:

Scott Fox - Still with Celtic

Mark Reynolds - Over 100 appearances with Motherwell, linked with Rangers and playing for Scotland u21s

Garry Kenneth - Still with Dundee Utd and Scotland u21s

Brian Gilmour - Currently without a club after getting released from FC Haka in Finland, spells with QotS and Clyde before that.

Graham Dorrans - With WBA and recently called into the full Scotland squad

vanNISHtelroy
21-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Has been very unlucky with injuries, don't know if he'll still be with us by start of next season (think he may join QotS permanently)

TheUsualSuspect
22-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the replies,

seems like a few of them peaked early and have taken a step backwards in terms in progressing, whilst the most of others seem happy to wait and hope at celtic. Still if Reynolds, Dorrans, Fletcher, Kenneth and Wallace (yes, wallace) come through from that team I suppose thats pretty decent turn over.

on another note did Kenneth used to be on the Hibs books?

Iain G
22-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Michael McGlinchey - Left Celtic, now with Central Coast Mariners in New Zealand

No, Central Coast Mariners play in Aussie, though he is now a full NZ football international :agree:

brog
22-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Team that lost in the final:

Andy McNeil - Released by Hibs, trials with Livi and Clyde, now with Montrose

Andrew Cave-Brown - Spent time on loan at King's Lynn, now with Leyton Orient

Scott Cuthbert (c) - Left Celtic after time out on loan, now with Swindon Town

Lee Wallace - Still with Hearts

Simon Ferry - Still on Celtic's books, on loan at Swindon Town

Greg Cameron - Still with Dundee Utd after three spells on loan elsewhere

Charlie Grant - Still with Celtic

Ryan Conroy - Still with Celtic

Calum Elliot - Still with Hearts

Subs:

Scott Fox - Still with Celtic

Mark Reynolds - Over 100 appearances with Motherwell, linked with Rangers and playing for Scotland u21s

Garry Kenneth - Still with Dundee Utd and Scotland u21s

Brian Gilmour - Currently without a club after getting released from FC Haka in Finland, spells with QotS and Clyde before that.

Graham Dorrans - With WBA and recently called into the full Scotland squad

What a surprise, 6 Celtic players in the squad none of whom are getting a game with Celtic & only one of whom ( Cuthbert ) is getting a regular game anywhere. Their loss is our gain, David Wotherspoon being a prime example.

ceecee
22-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Be interesting to see how this compares to the progress of the Spanish squad. You can almost guarantee they will be further ahead. Then you need to ask why?

wee 162
22-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Be interesting to see how this compares to the progress of the Spanish squad. You can almost guarantee they will be further ahead. Then you need to ask why?

From their starting 11 in the final, Piqué, Mata, and Capel have all been capped at full international level.