PDA

View Full Version : Question (NHC) How much Leith is in you?

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Following on from Yogi's latest talk of his Leith roots...

There was an article in the EEN about Gail Porter and her research of a family tree last week. I'd thought about this before but thought it would be too difficult. I didn't read the article but took a note of the website and checked it out.

Cut a long story short it I paid up £6 and signed up. Since then I've researched a fair bit and found that on my fathers side there is a strong Leith connection - all of my great-great grandparents were Leithers.

This covers the period of the clubs formation so who knows maybe some of them cheered on the team? Certainly has been a tradition through the generations of following the Hibs.

Its a great resource and I also used it to run through my mums tree from Skye.

dalkeith stu
20-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Source? :wink:

Jonnyboy
20-09-2009, 01:16 PM
My Gran on my Dad's side was a third generation Leither. Surname was Fyvie and I know there's still a few of that clan living in Leith :agree:

YehButNoBut
20-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Mum, Dad, Grannies & Grandads all from Leith, guess that makes me a Leither even though I have never stayed in Leith. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Source? :wink:

It was the Leith branch of the Adam & Eve dynasty :cool2:Don't know if I can mention the name of the site here. Although I don't believe its "commercial" as such because of the organisation that runs it.

6GBP gives you 30 credits. 1 credit brings back a search result. To download documents is 5 credits - e.g. birth/marriage/death/census register. Copies of the actual certificates/wills can be ordered for £5.

sleeping giant
20-09-2009, 01:24 PM
It was the Leith branch of the Adam & Eve dynasty :cool2:Don't know if I can mention the name of the site here. Although I don't believe its "commercial" as such because of the organisation that runs it.

6GBP gives you 30 credits. 1 credit brings back a search result. To download documents is 5 credits - e.g. birth/marriage/death/census register. Copies of the actual certificates/wills can be ordered for £5.
What is the site?

Jonnyboy
20-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Can't imagine anyone would object to you postinmg the link loko :thumbsup:

Dibben
20-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Most of my Mums side are Leithers (Storie) and I was born in the Eastern General...

So does that makes me an exciled Leither...? :greengrin

BH.

Hiber-nation
20-09-2009, 01:27 PM
All my Dad's lot are from Leith and I used to live in Easter Road. Never got round to doing the research though and its something that has to be done as I don't have contact with any of them.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Most of my Mums side are Leithers (Storie) and I was born in the Eastern General...

So does that makes me an exciled Leither...? :greengrin

BH.

Me too BH :greengrin Many years before you of course :wink:

Dibben
20-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Me too BH :greengrin Many years before you of course :wink:

:thumbsup:

They do say that the finest are born there...

:greengrin

BH.

Jim44
20-09-2009, 01:32 PM
My mum was brought up in West Bowling Green Street, my dad was a Bow Tow (Newhavener) and I was brought up in Pitt St. Leith.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Can't imagine anyone would object to you postinmg the link loko :thumbsup:

In that case...

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

There are handy free apps to help you build the trees which you can publish and share online. The app also checks for matches with other published trees so you can benefit from the research of others! For a fee you can even merge in their handy work but pretty much all you need is available for free :thumbsup:

http://www.myheritage.com/

RickyS
20-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Following on from Yogi's latest talk of his Leith roots...

There was an article in the EEN about Gail Porter and her research of a family tree last week. I'd thought about this before but thought it would be too difficult. I didn't read the article but took a note of the website and checked it out.

Cut a long story short it I paid up £6 and signed up. Since then I've researched a fair bit and found that on my fathers side there is a strong Leith connection - all of my great-great grandparents were Leithers.

This covers the period of the clubs formation so who knows maybe some of them cheered on the team? Certainly has been a tradition through the generations of following the Hibs.

Its a great resource and I also used it to run through my mums tree from Skye.

I always tell folk that I was a Leither before it was popular to be one. my family goes back 4 generations in Leith and I was brought up in The Fort, and I loved it there. however "my sort" can no longer afford to live there:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-09-2009, 01:54 PM
On my Mothers side goes back hundreds of years in Leith, I was born and have lived In Leith for all of my 57 years :agree:

:Awright!:

Keith_M
20-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I have one brother and three sisters and I'm the ONLY one NOT born in the Eastern.

The only connection I have is that I often worked in Leith Docks...

...no, not in that capacity :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I always tell folk that I was a Leither before it was popular to be one. my family goes back 4 generations in Leith and I was brought up in The Fort, and I loved it there. however "my sort" can no longer afford to live there:greengrin
economic equivalent of the highland clearances...

CalgaryHibs
20-09-2009, 01:58 PM
For me i'm from Leith me dad's side are from Leith. Then some of the family moved upto bread street no.11 3rd floor.(bread street is near Leith right?):wink::greengrin

sahib
20-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I have spent a fortune on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website.
You might be surprised by where your ancestors came from. Before shoving in too many £6 searches, get info from family papers, bilbles etc and speak to the old yins before it is too late.

RickyS
20-09-2009, 02:04 PM
economic equivalent of the highland clearances...

:faf: most of us left when the prozzies were banned from coburg street. it was the first sign that the snobs were takin over:duck:

Fish
20-09-2009, 02:06 PM
None of my lot are from Leith:

Although Dad's side are Edinburgh (mainly Corstorphine and Blackford Hill), its only for a couple of generations (although they all turned out Hearts fans), before that it is the Shetlands. Mum is from a Danish Germany heritage.

I am such a disappointment in the family:thumbsup:

lEXO
20-09-2009, 04:16 PM
My grandparents were born in leith.I went to leith academy school, and as much as i dont count myself as a leither i have a strong attachment to it.

fife hfc
20-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I've researched my family tree and like my club my ancestors are from the emerald isle and came over during the tattie famine (probably time I went home then :duck:) First contact with Leith came in the 1930s, before that motherwell and West Lothian. But myself was born and bred in Leith until I moved to Fife (I view myself as a missionary sent over the water to educate the savages:greengrin).

francobaresi
20-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Some of my family where born & bred Leithers, I lived there for a while but I'm a born Mancunian to Scots parents.

Ah, grasshopper.....

Zimmy
20-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I was born in a top flat at 13 Balfour St. Stayed in Leith for five years before moving to a new cooncil hoose in Drylaw.:greengrin

jakki
20-09-2009, 07:43 PM
My dad and his ancestors were from Leith. My mum was born in St Mary's Street as her ancesterors were from Ireland during the potatoe famine.

I also went to Leith Academy and although brought up in West Pilton I consider myself as a Leither:thumbsup:

francobaresi
20-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey Marydoll, are ancesterors the female side of the family:wink:

jakki
20-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Marydoll, are ancesterors the female side of the family:wink:

OK laugh at me.:agree:I think I do not bad considering I'm dyslexic:grr:

Peevemor
20-09-2009, 07:53 PM
My dad's family were Irish and lived at the top of Easter Road, though later moved to the Dean Village which is where my dad was brought up (it wasn't the des res it is now :greengrin). My mother's family are teuchters with a bit of Welsh chucked in.

0% Leith for me then.

G15 Hibs
20-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I never thought that I had any Leith connections until recently, having been brought up in Musselburgh, where both my parents were born. However a few month back I found out that when my old man's grandparents (and his dad, as a youngster) moved down from Shetland they lived in Balfour Street and, indeed, owned a wee shop there. I don't think any of the family were born there, but it's interesting to know there's a connection.

Alfred E Newman
20-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Though I`m a Peebles man through and through, my mother was born in Leith and is still going strong at 95. Just not quite old enough to remember our great Scottish Cup win.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Nothing to do with Leith at all. Spoiled, rich and pampered from an early age and delighted about it.

greenlex
20-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Just my fillings.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Just my fillings.

Hopefully not a dentist towards the top of ER...? Didn't have a good experience with him.

greenlex
20-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hopefully not a dentist towards the top of ER...? Didn't have a good experience with him.

Na Constitution Street.

HIBERNIALEITH
20-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I've traced back to my great grandad on my mum's side. Married on Hogmanay 1901, so hopefully he wisnae too henpecked and got to see us winning the cup the following year! He worked at the docks! His marriage certificate says he married at 13 Fort Place, which was his wife's address! Maybe that's what they done back then?:confused:

I was born at the Eastern too! Have always said born and bred in Leith! Went to Leith A Sec School too. As Yogi's brother in law always says "YLT, Chicken curry ya bass! Oh, and my son's middle name is Leith!

Do I win?????:thumbsup:

surreyhibbie
20-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I have spent a fortune on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website.
You might be surprised by where your ancestors came from. Before shoving in too many £6 searches, get info from family papers, bilbles etc and speak to the old yins before it is too late.

:agree: Been doing mine on and off for years. Family gossip means you can put so much more meat on the bones than just...born;married;died dates.

It can also send you down blind alleys, but that's half the fun!:greengrin

Oh, and absolutely nae Leith at all....Musselburgh since 1689 at least...

greenlex
20-09-2009, 09:28 PM
[/B]

Oh, and absolutely nae Leith at all....Musselburgh since 1689 at least...

Honestly? :greengrin:

surreyhibbie
20-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Honestly? :greengrin:

Yup, no me personally, like :greengrin but I can trace back to a relative who was either born in 1689 or 1690 depending on the record... in the Honest Toun.

heretoday
20-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Born in Elsie Inglis Hospital in Abbeyhill - the Morningside of Leith. Hibs suffered a reverse at Love St later that day. Story of my life dear.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I've traced back to my great grandad on my mum's side. Married on Hogmanay 1901, so hopefully he wisnae too henpecked and got to see us winning the cup the following year! He worked at the docks! His marriage certificate says he married at 13 Fort Place, which was his wife's address! Maybe that's what they done back then?:confused:

I was born at the Eastern too! Have always said born and bred in Leith! Went to Leith A Sec School too. As Yogi's brother in law always says "YLT, Chicken curry ya bass! Oh, and my son's middle name is Leith!

Do I win?????:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::faf:

surreyhibbie
20-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Born in Elsie Inglis Hospital in Abbeyhill - the Morningside of Leith. Hibs suffered a reverse at Love St later that day. Story of my life dear.

My older son was born there, shouting distance of ER...:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2009, 09:46 PM

I had 7 teeth extracted by the Dentist of Pilrig Street in 1973....

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Had to eat ReadyBrek for a week....

HIBERNIALEITH
20-09-2009, 11:02 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::faf:

You know him, don't you!

:wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-09-2009, 11:19 PM
You know him, don't you!

I don't!

But I know that phrase very well!

Disco Dave
20-09-2009, 11:57 PM
You know him, don't you!

Sounds like a wee Gary Kane :agree:

Pete
21-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Although I've never lived in Leith I was born in the Eastern which is a good start.

My Dad and his brother were both brought up in Citadel, boxed at Leith vic and worked in the docks. A fairly typical Leith upbringing....I think everyone boxed in those days. My grandad was also a Leither and was in the merchant navy where he was sunk twice during the second world war.

I found this out through actually talking to the family but it's like drawing teeth sometimes. Life in the old Leith might be glamorised by some but from what I can tell it was a hard, gritty and sometimes bloody unpleasant life.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2009, 05:12 AM
I found this out through actually talking to the family but it's like drawing teeth sometimes. Life in the old Leith might be glamorised by some but from what I can tell it was a hard, gritty and sometimes bloody unpleasant life.

Yes the (out of print) memoirs of Wullie Merrilees (not everyones cup of tea I know) gives accounts of the squalor and hardships during those days. He himself lost his fingers in an accident at a rope works. But went on to become the Chief Inspector of Edinburgh and Peebles IIRC. Fiercely proud of his roots did a lot of work for the disadvantaged. Interesting read though views and language in it rather dated - the fundamentalist muslims have even quoted from it on the section on "The Homosexuals" - a non-PC PC...

oldbiker
21-09-2009, 05:47 AM
My Dad was brought in West Bowling Green St and then lived at the Links. We moved to Pennywell when it was newly built and I was a lad.:dummytit:

I web to Tony's for secondary school and Easter road for all my football glories:greengrin.

So probably a fair chunk o Leith in me :agree: