PDA

View Full Version : Question Our Fulbacks in the Air

bathhibby
20-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Just finished watching the Alba coverage and thought that our Fullbacks inability to compete in the air put us under enormous pressure as they never one any of the first balls lobbed in by the Saints.
Discuss ?

Golden Bear
20-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Just finished watching the Alba coverage and thought that our Fullbacks inability to compete in the air put us under enormous pressure as they never one any of the first balls lobbed in by the Saints.
Discuss ?

Both our full backs are young guys who are getting played out of position so I hesitate to criticise them.

However there's no doubt that a couple of quality full backs would make a huge difference and make it possible for the team to play the style of football that Yogi is craving for.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Both our full backs are young guys who are getting played out of position so I hesitate to criticise them.

However there's no doubt that a couple of quality full backs would make a huge difference and make it possible for the team to play the style of football that Yogi is craving for.

:top marks:agree:

WindyMiller
20-09-2009, 08:58 AM
So we want a full-back that's strong enough to compete and win the high balls.
With stamina and speed to bomb up and down the wings to make up for the fact we only have 3 in midfield, none of whom are over 5'8"and therefore can't win high balls.
Oh.....and ...eh.... we're going to buy 2.

Simples.

:thumbsup:

EDIT;
P.S. I assume they also have to be able to cut inside on to their other foot and curl one into the postage stamp; ala Hanlon v. Brechin.

overdrive
20-09-2009, 09:24 AM
What I find strange about their weaknesses in the air, is that both are supposed to be centre halfs being played out of position.

ancient hibee
20-09-2009, 09:42 AM
When you play centre half you need to compete for practically every high ball becauseit is usually a dangerous area.When you are full back you don't-particularly when it's jumping for clearaces.What our guys should have been doing was let the opponent jump for the ball and then challenge -you always have the touchline to help-because they are centre halves this doesn't come naturally to them.