PDA

View Full Version : Any Positives From Our 3-0 Victory?

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2009, 05:32 PM
C'mon you miserable bunch!

Hibercelona
19-09-2009, 05:34 PM
We scored 3 goals.... and might have scored 20 if we actually played football? :dunno: :greengrin

glenn6270
19-09-2009, 05:35 PM
aye
stokes played well and scored 2

YehButNoBut
19-09-2009, 05:36 PM
The most obvious one is Stokes is now off the mark, these 2 goals will give him a huge lift and lets hope its the first of many more in the coming weeks.

Also believe that the competition between him and Riordan will inspire them to score plenty between them this season, providing they don't stop passing to each other. :wink:

They have the potential to be the top scoring partnership in the SPL and that includes the OF.

Phil D. Rolls
19-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Thought the pitch was looking good today, and it is nice to see the backroom staff kitted out in smart co-ordinated outfits.

The half time announcer managed to only make one sexist remark when Hibs ladies were on.

Russdoorsfan71
19-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Quite afew from where I was sitting.

Paul Hanlon for one!! Thought the lad put in a cracking shift!!

Wotherspoon had a great game again, I can see this laddie having a big future in the game!

Stokes put in a good performance. I think he still has a way to go before he's fully fit and banging them in, but his work rate was top notch in the second half.

Quite liked the look of Murray and Bamba as a CB pairing. I think big Sol is due afew car crash moments over the season, but with Murray there to back him up I think we can get away with it until Barr Signs!

CallumLaidlaw
19-09-2009, 05:39 PM
>Bamba and Murray were solid
>We kept a clean sheet
>We scored 3 goals
>Stokes is off the mark
>Zemmama is back
>Galbraith looks exciting

Is that enough? :thumbsup:

Ok it wasnt the best of wins, but surely a 3-0 win against anyone in our league is a good result. Well done Hibees!!

Sas_The_Hibby
19-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Positives - Stokes getting his first goals / no bookings / didn't play well but did pick ourselves up after a shocking start / Bamba (usually) / Murray / okay debut for Miller / better than a slap with a wet kipper etc. etc.

Sas_The_Hibby
19-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Thought the pitch was looking good today, and it is nice to see the backroom staff kitted out in smart co-ordinated outfits.

The half time announcer managed to only make one sexist remark when Hibs ladies were on.

Think there were two actually: one oblique reference to wet T shirts, if I heard properly, and one highly unoriginal 'joke' along the lines of "don't take your shirt off to celebrate, now" (in paternalistic tone!).

Still, the announcer must be only about 45, so he's young yet.............:rolleyes:

Hibs90
19-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Quite liked the look of Murray and Bamba as a CB pairing. I think big Sol is due afew car crash moments over the season, but with Murray there to back him up I think we can get away with it until Barr Signs!

Agree they looked good together. Although I think Bamba is better than Barr by a country mile!

Sir David Gray
19-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I thought Hanlon played well, Murray was solid at the back, we kept our first clean sheet of the season (in the SPL) and Stokes is off the mark.

We will also play a lot better than that at some point in the season and lose the match.

After last week's debacle, I'm just pleased to be getting back to winning ways and to score three goals.

Granted, it wasn't the best performance you'll ever see but you have to be happy with a 3-0 victory.

zlatan
19-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Bamba was cockgrabbingly good today, a very assured performance.

Miller will be a great player when fully fit.

Stokes was blowing bubbles out his arse after an hour again but got the goals which is what he's there for.

Galbraith is gonna become a big player for us this season if we stick with 4-4-2.

Mibbes Aye
19-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I thought McBride was very good today. Really happy with his performance and role in the team.

Miller has an assuredness and poise that reflects why he has played at the level he has previously. He'll be good for us, I'm confident of that.

Wotherspoon continues to show some lovely touches and Rankin contributed well.

Good finishes from the strikers and hopefully they wll develop as a partnership.

Defence would have been punished by better finishing but they still showed up well for good periods of the game. Bamba in particular was authoritative, and Murray could be a good partner for him.

lEXO
19-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Aye a few. Miller showed some nice touches,Bamba and murray played well,Wotherspoon showed well again.Oh and the fact Maka might not be as bad as some think.:wink:

Hibs Spain
19-09-2009, 06:02 PM
C'mon you miserable bunch!Hogg was dropped and Murray played very well.A bit like the Murray of old covering,tackling,I'm sure it was him who cleared off the line when Stack was frozen to the spot yet again when a cross came over...Miller played well, Galbraith looked promising,Bamba was excellent. That's about it for me. The first two goals were pieces of individual skill but generally there wasn't much fluidity and we could have been a few down in the first 15 mins.

GloryGlory
19-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Positives- give Stokes and Riordan the service, they will score goals.

Miller has the ability (when fit) to run midfield.

Hanlon and Wotherspoon have great potential, need to ensure this is fully developed.

Bamba and Murray could be a good CH pairing (although I'd like to see Bamba in midfield).

Zemmama - please let him start. Fit him in.

Negatives - full backs, not sorted.

Midfield - who's doing what? Where's the balance?

Strikers - if Stack is going to hoof every ball aimlessly up the park, who's getting on the end of it (not Nish, please God!)?

Russdoorsfan71
19-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I thought McBride was very good today. Really happy with his performance and role in the team.

Miller has an assuredness and poise that reflects why he has played at the level he has previously. He'll be good for us, I'm confident of that.

Wotherspoon continues to show some lovely touches and Rankin contributed well.

Good finishes from the strikers and hopefully they wll develop as a partnership.

Defence would have been punished by better finishing but they still showed up well for good periods of the game. Bamba in particular was authoritative, and Murray could be a good partner for him.

Eh?? I must have been watching a different game. I thought Rankin conrobuted nothing whatsoever!!! Opinions eh?

Mibbes Aye
19-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Eh?? I must have been watching a different game. I thought Rankin conrobuted nothing whatsoever!!! Opinions eh?

Two bits that stood out for me were in the first half - one where we had decent possession and had moved up then gave it away. Rankin had taken up a good position and made what I thought was an important challenge to win the ball back, stop them breaking and maintain the attack. He also had a cracking cross shortly afterward that outshone most of his teammates' efforts at putting a ball in and deserved someone doing something with it. Usual commitment and workrate from him otherwise.

whiskyhibby
19-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Nish was not playing :duck::duck:

Arch Stanton
19-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Strikers - if Stack is going to hoof every ball aimlessly up the park, who's getting on the end of it (not Nish, please God!)?

Apart from one inglorious punt into the West Upper I didn't think Stack's kicking was at all bad (and I'm more of a Maka fan!).

His kicks up the middle were usually near enough for Stokes to challenge for and the kicks out right were pretty consistently in the same place (and had a couple of players waiting to challenge for so I assume it was deliberate).

Hiber-nation
19-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Two bits that stood out for me were in the first half - one where we had decent possession and had moved up then gave it away. Rankin had taken up a good position and made what I thought was an important challenge to win the ball back, stop them breaking and maintain the attack. He also had a cracking cross shortly afterward that outshone most of his teammates' efforts at putting a ball in and deserved someone doing something with it. Usual commitment and workrate from him otherwise.

I don't think that's really good enough in 90 mins - we can't retain possession in midfield - ok some of that is due to the strikers not being able to keep hold of the ball but I'd like to see him contributing a lot more when he has the ball.

Hibby Bairn
19-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Thought all/most played well today as individuals. Just never really worked as a team!

But I think/hope it will come. We have better players this year than last. Just need to time to gel.

Hanlon, McCormack, Wotherspoon - all very young guys with not many games under their belt. Miller has had 20 mins before today. Murray and Bamba first time together.

Stokes and Riordan. First time together I think as a pair.

Scored 3. Lost 0. Progress each week. We'll be a good team by November I reckon.

And a really strong bench as well.

thebakerboy
19-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Biggest positive from today was the strength of the bench, for the first time in a long time if ever we have a good squad after the first 11 to13 players. Think this will be good for rest of season but it needs to be managed well. YOGI take note

Shrekko
19-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Think there were two actually: one oblique reference to wet T shirts, if I heard properly, and one highly unoriginal 'joke' along the lines of "don't take your shirt off to celebrate, now" (in paternalistic tone!).

Still, the announcer must be only about 45, so he's young yet.............:rolleyes:

I long for the day we get rid of that guy. Sadly I reckon he'll find it hard to draw himself away from the limelight.

On the field, it was strange in that it was a poorish performance but there were a lot of positive signs. Miller, Stokes, Galbraith, Hanlon, Bamba and Murray showed some good stuff and Deeks scored another good goal.

I'm sure we'll develop a playing style soon but the team is undergoing quite a big facelift so we'll need to be a bit patient.

jabis
19-09-2009, 09:05 PM

yup.....was there and he ran his arse off.Great performance today :agree:

opinions eh ?

NYHibby
19-09-2009, 09:15 PM
We got three points? Would have to think that would be the biggest positive in most wins.

Groovee
19-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I had a nice comfy seat for once :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tomsk
19-09-2009, 09:29 PM
[/B]

yup.....was there and he ran his arse off.Great performance today :agree:

opinions eh ?

Not really. Lost his mark (Chris Miller) time and again. Sucked into the back four. :confused: Maybe he fancies himself as a centre half. Certainly not a midfielder.

As you say, opinions.

Ravelston Hibby
20-09-2009, 12:08 AM

What's up with you these days FR????

You seem a bit obsessively grumpy ma'man!!???? :confused: :cool2:

.SeventyFive
20-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Murray. Was just solid as usual.

Was thinking today; he just strikes me as a CB who would have played in the 50's. 'Short back and sides' hairstyle, tucked in shirt and simply efficient. Want you want from a defender.

Sas_The_Hibby
20-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Was thinking today; he just strikes me as a CB who would have played in the 50's. 'Short back and sides' hairstyle, tucked in shirt and simply efficient. Want you want from a defender.

Don't tell Rod, he'll pay him 1950s wages..............:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
20-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Missed the wet t-shirt one, the man is a total f*nny and an embarassment to Hibs.

What's up with you these days FR????

You seem a bit obsessively grumpy ma'man!!???? :confused: :cool2:

The worst of it is, that was me trying to be funny. I will improve. :greengrin

marinello59
20-09-2009, 03:10 PM
We won 3-0
Wotherspoon continues to impress.
Stokes got off the mark and both strikes were quality.
Riordan scored a cracker and his work rate has been upped considerably.
Miller. Pure quality. I can't wait to see what he produces once he has fully settled in.
Bamba. What a performance he gave.
That's for starters, I could go on. This team is a work in progress and it is still very early days. I have a feeling the journey is going to be very enjoyable.
GGTTH.

--------
20-09-2009, 03:14 PM
We won 3-0
Wotherspoon continues to impress.
Stokes got off the mark and both strikes were quality.
Riordan scored a cracker and his work rate has been upped considerably.
Miller. Pure quality. I can't wait to see what he produces once he has fully settled in.
Bamba. What a performance he gave.
That's for starters, I could go on. This team is a work in progress and it is still very early days. I have a feeling the journey is going to be very enjoyable.
GGTTH.

:top marks :agree:

Littlest Hobo
20-09-2009, 03:24 PM
At last the Manager has seen the error of his ways by appointing Hogg as Capitano! Time to either dump him or maybe even try him in our troubled right back position? Why not eh, we've tried everyone else ?:greengrin

Jim44
20-09-2009, 03:34 PM
At last the Manager has seen the error of his ways by appointing Hogg as Capitano! Time to either dump him or maybe even try him in our troubled right back position? Why not eh, we've tried everyone else ?:greengrin

Hughes has worked his way into a corner with this, although he did say quite clearly that Hogg was not going to be considered a first pick every week. I hope that a solution which allows Hogg to give up the captain's armband without losing face, can be found.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Hughes has worked his way into a corner with this, although he did say quite clearly that Hogg was not going to be considered a first pick every week. I hope that a solution which allows Hogg to give up the captain's armband without losing face, can be found.

I dont quite understand that bit. Every player has to give a performance that warrants a place in the team. I think Hogg has been poor this season, as i think Nish has too. Both players dont deserve to be in the side, and if both are not playing next saturday, i wont feel any have lost face, just they have not performed well enough to make the starting 11. And if Hogg does not force his way back, then he cant expect to carry on as captain.

Jim44
20-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont quite understand that bit. Every player has to give a performance that warrants a place in the team. I think Hogg has been poor this season, as i think Nish has too. Both players dont deserve to be in the side, and if both are not playing next saturday, i wont feel any have lost face, just they have not performed well enough to make the starting 11. And if Hogg does not force his way back, then he cant expect to carry on as captain.

It's quite rare for the captain of a club to have the armband taken away after a few games. What I meant was that Hogg might ask to be relieved of the position in order to concentrate purely on his performance.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2009, 04:19 PM
It's quite rare for the captain of a club to have the armband taken away after a few games. What I meant was that Hogg might ask to be relieved of the position in order to concentrate purely on his performance.

I understand what you are saying, and relieving him of the captaincy might do him a favour, although his dip in form is not a recent thing. He imho has been poor for a while now, i'm not sure he is captain material anyway. Getting back to him losing face, i'm sure he'd rather play every week, than be a non playing captain.

Mibbes Aye
20-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Funny you should say that. Seeing him yesterday made me think of some of the stills shots from Eddie Turnbull's career for some reason.

I would doubt we'll ever have players again who even come close to ET's level but it's hard to find any fault in Murray's attitude and commitment.

Speedy
20-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Nope, none at all

ancient hibee
20-09-2009, 06:12 PM
That we were playing a team who collectively couldn't have hit a coo's a**e wi' a banjo.

Speedway
21-09-2009, 12:44 PM
C'mon you miserable bunch!

I get what you're saying Bob, we won three nil and we've won four out of our first six games but let's not let results get in the way of everything that is wrong at our club.

Phil MaGlass
21-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Positives, my first game for a year and apart from the very, very, very poor vocal support, to win 3-0 and play... well.. not very good,was a big positive atlast were getting a result when not playing well..cant wait til we play good and hammer a decent team.Liam Miller was a positive as was being able to score goals from nowt.Stokes on the score sheet,Bamba only flattened a player once on saturday..and got away with it..,Murray had a good game. Over all a not brilliant performance but the signs are good.

Hibs to win 2-0 tue, get beat saturday 2-1

Hamish
21-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Just saw the highlights and cant believe more isn't be made of Stokes chest control for the first goal. If that had been McDonald or Boyd there would have been a Sportscene special on BBC Scotland.