PDA

View Full Version : Get the basics right and the quality we have up front will win it for us.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2009, 04:11 PM
As it says, if we defend well, and shut down in the middle of the park, our forwards will score more than any non old firm side. Todays clean sheet is a great start for our new defensive partnership, and big Sol gets man of the match, AGAIN. I'm sure Murray alongside helped. He imho is made for centre half now, maybe lacking that little extra pace now for midfield, but he reads the game better than most, and has that battling ability and composure i like in a centre half.:thumbsup:

skipster7
19-09-2009, 04:37 PM
it was promising but i cant help feeling we should have one of these players in midfield, preferably bamba who, depite some great last gasp saves seems incapable of not giving away needless free kicks.
yet again could have been 2-0 down in the first 10 but will take 3-0 without playing well.a few of liam millers touches were a bit special too:agree:

Captain Trips
19-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Looking at Rangers today there is not a lot in this, I would be pushing the OF here.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2009, 04:43 PM
it was promising but i cant help feeling we should have one of these players in midfield, preferably bamba who, depite some great last gasp saves seems incapable of not giving away needless free kicks.
yet again could have been 2-0 down in the first 10 but will take 3-0 without playing well.a few of liam millers touches were a bit special too:agree:

All central defenfers will give away the odd free kick now and again. What they have to be good at is A defending, and B distributing the ball out to our players. And C organizing. Imho we have two who can do this now. Maybe we do need a bamba type player in midfield, but we need to staart defending better, and we dont have anyone better than Bamba and Murray for those positions. I'd imagine we will strengthen again in January, perhaps that type of midfielder will come in then.

Captain Trips

I think if we could sign a CB thats out of contract this will free up the use of Bamba or Murray.

col02
Hibs were imho very lucky to win today and the 3-0 scoreline in their favour flatters them greatly!

Hibercelona
19-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Looking at Rangers today there is not a lot in this, I would be pushing the OF here.

So we were all saying before Hamilton beat us.

It doesnt matter how things look right now...

We will not be challenging the old firm this season.

They will finish 1st and 2nd.

As much as it pains me to say.

lEXO
19-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Hibs were imho very lucky to win today and the 3-0 scoreline in their favour flatters them greatly!
Aye, my thoughts as well.3 cracking goals but dont think the 4-3-3 works well for us. Hope yogi has other options tactically because we wont be able to use this system all season.A good win for us tho, if saints play like that most weeks they will pick up points allright.

ancient hibee
19-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Bamba and Murray are good players but the centre of the defence was absolutely hopeless-it was only the ineptitude of Saints that stopped them scoring a barrowload.They looked like they would score from practically every cross and may well do so onTuesday because their will be plenty balls being humped in.

500miles
19-09-2009, 05:33 PM
It's a lot of new faces playing at once, and old faces in new positions. You could see that players were playing on different wavelegnths at times - players running away from the passes, or players passing to areas where they EXPECTED players to be rather than where they were. McBride showed what the problem was today - he was demanding communication from other players but wasn't getting it, and lost the head with a couple of players today because of it.

I reckon that if we can grind out wins like that today until the team gels, we will have a good season.

TornadoHibby
19-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Bamba and Murray are good players but the centre of the defence was absolutely hopeless-it was only the ineptitude of Saints that stopped them scoring a barrowload.They looked like they would score from practically every cross and may well do so onTuesday because their will be plenty balls being humped in.

With Stack in goal and showing again today that he will not attack crosses thereby taking the pressure off the defence in such situations when he should St Johnstone will be firing crosses at us all night on Tuesday! :agree:

They tried to do that today and really should have scored a few (thanks Ian Murray for the goal line clearance! :wink:) so will resume where they left off with Kenny Deuchar probably starting rather than coming off the bench like today! :wink:

Could easily be a very different result! :confused:

thebakerboy
19-09-2009, 08:03 PM
As said by other posts we were lucky not to be 2 down before we scored and I wonder is it a commanding CH we need or a keeper because Stack stays on his line to much ands Maka flaps a bit much but now Jones is not there maybe Maka could be the answer given time.We had 4 CH's in back 4 and they seemed to win headers in our box all the time so is it the lack of confidence in the keeper the problem:confused:

matty_f
19-09-2009, 10:51 PM
As it says, if we defend well, and shut down in the middle of the park, our forwards will score more than any non old firm side. Todays clean sheet is a great start for our new defensive partnership, and big Sol gets man of the match, AGAIN. I'm sure Murray alongside helped. He imho is made for centre half now, maybe lacking that little extra pace now for midfield, but he reads the game better than most, and has that battling ability and composure i like in a centre half.:thumbsup:

:top marks

Totally agree with that, BH.

If we can get stronger defensively, we've got the attack to really trouble teams.

Two really pleasing things from today - our strikers scored the goals, and when we took off Riordan, Stokes, and Rankin, we replaced them with Benji, Galbraith and Zemmama - that shows how strong we potentially are.

I genuinely think that once Stokes and Miller in particular are settled into the side, then we'll be competing well every week regardless of the opposition.

iwasthere1972
19-09-2009, 11:59 PM

The scoreline somewhat flattered us today and there were a lot of times we rode our luck. Think St Johnstone had a good claim for a goal when Ian Murray cleared the ball. Only saw it the once but from where I was sitting (directly in front of the tv :greengrin) it looked over the line.

Thought we were very slow to pick up the 50/50 balls with St Johnstone claiming most of them. We need to be competing for them and not make it so easy for the opposition.

On a positive note we took our chances well and Stokes got off the mark. Just what he needed and his confidence level will have gone up a few notches. Being able to substitute Riordan and Stokes and bring on players such as Zemmama and Benji says something for the quality of our squad.

We got what we set out to achieve today...3 points.

The weekend will be complete if the Yams come back with nothing from Glasgow tomorrow. :devil:

GGTTH. :thumbsup: