PDA

View Full Version : Whipping Boys

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone else prepared to confess that they need someone in this role? I'm generally supportive of Hibs players, I never boo the team, or an individual player, but I do like have one man - and it generally is one - who can do nothing right in my eyes. A great piece of football is dismissed as a 'lucky one-off' and I can't wait to seize on their mistakes.

I'm not fond of this tendency, because in other walks of life it's obviously linked to the bullying/persecuting impulse, but I do need a villain within. My first one was Brian Hamilton. When he hit the post with a vicious drive against Dunfermline in the 92 League Cup final, I turned to my friend and said: "we'll probably lose the cup thanks to that clown's inability to get a shot on target!"

lapsedhibee
19-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Anyone else prepared to confess that they need someone in this role? I'm generally supportive of Hibs players, I never boo the team, or an individual player, but I do like have one man - and it generally is one - who can do nothing right in my eyes. A great piece of football is dismissed as a 'lucky one-off' and I can't wait to seize on their mistakes.

I'm not fond of this tendency, because in other walks of life it's obviously linked to the bullying/persecuting impulse, but I do need a villain within. My first one was Brian Hamilton. When he hit the post with a vicious drive against Dunfermline in the 92 League Cup final, I turned to my friend and said: "we'll probably lose the cup thanks to that clown's inability to get a shot on target!"

I like to have a scapegoat as well as a whipping boy, to cover for injuries/suspensions.

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I like to have a scapegoat as well as a whipping boy, to cover for injuries/suspensions.

Very sensible. It's tough when your whipping boy is in the stands. I usually say, "we may be down 5-0 but it could be worse. At least X isn't playing."

majorhibs
19-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Despite what his fanclub on here who only remember the very very limited "high" spots, Hamilton was utter & total mince for Hibs, how many times was it said he was mogadons love child?
If Miller wasnae here ten years we wouldnt have had to put up with 8 years of his tripe when he had some outstanding midfielders either side of him. With a better player alongside your Mginlays, O´neills, Mcallisters feeding your Wrights, Jacksons, Archibalds etc who knows how high we would have went if it wasnt for mogadons oh so obvious blind spot every saturday?
Incidentally, that shot in the cup, the shot in the EUFA cup against Videoton from 35 yards that crashed back off the bar- all the mair frustrating about this particular player because these two incidents (and I cant recall ANY others) let you know he had a dig, but he just WOULDNT blĒ#dy use it- anyone able to supply his complete lack of goalscoring statistics in the 8 yrs we had to endure him before he cleared off to the darkside for an incredibly wasteful somethin like 200k?

Joe's ice cream
19-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Despite what his fanclub on here who only remember the very very limited "high" spots, Hamilton was utter & total mince for Hibs, how many times was it said he was mogadons love child?
If Miller wasnae here ten years we wouldnt have had to put up with 8 years of his tripe when he had some outstanding midfielders either side of him. With a better player alongside your Mginlays, O´neills, Mcallisters feeding your Wrights, Jacksons, Archibalds etc who knows how high we would have went if it wasnt for mogadons oh so obvious blind spot every saturday?
Incidentally, that shot in the cup, the shot in the EUFA cup against Videoton from 35 yards that crashed back off the bar- all the mair frustrating about this particular player because these two incidents (and I cant recall ANY others) let you know he had a dig, but he just WOULDNT blĒ#dy use it- anyone able to supply his complete lack of goalscoring statistics in the 8 yrs we had to endure him before he cleared off to the darkside for an incredibly wasteful somethin like 200k?

Spot on, i never ever got Hamilton and what he offerd the team, to this day continue this debate on a frequent basis with guys i go to the games with