PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes Interview

YehButNoBut
18-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Very honest (as usual) interview by Yogi on the BBC website.

Said he realised things were not going to go our way on Sunday on the team bus going to the game. He listened to some of the players conversations and says there was not a focus and even in the warm up "they were not at it".

Also some good comments on Liam Millers attitude.

Needs to get a response this Saturday and a hugely improved attitude, will he get it??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8261755.stm

lapsedhibee
18-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Very honest (as usual) interview by Yogi on the BBC website.

Said he realised things were not going to go our way on Sunday on the team bus going to the game. He listened to some of the players conversations and says there was not a focus and even in the warm up "they were not at it".

Also some good comments on Liam Millers attitude.

Needs to get a response this Saturday and a hugely improved attitude, will he get it??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8261755.stm

Something wrong somewhere for a manager to take eight minutes of BBC time to publicly send a simple, short message to one or two individual players in his own team that they're not pulling their weight. Even allowing for the fact that JH can be a long winded slaver at times, this looks suspiciously like softening up the support for the imminent ejection/departure of a fans' favourite or two.

smurf
18-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Something wrong somewhere for a manager to take eight minutes of BBC time to publicly send a simple, short message to one or two individual players in his own team that they're not pulling their weight. Even allowing for the fact that JH can be a long winded slaver at times, this looks suspiciously like softening up the support for the imminent ejection/departure of a fans' favourite or two.

Yogi has already suggested and hinted at this with his "the fans are going to have to trust me..." comments.

I thought this was a typical good Yogi interview but i'm still baffled as to his "I maybe picked too many flair players" comments on last Sunday.

Does he mean for the bench?:confused:

GreenOnions
18-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Just listened to the whole interview.

That's how I want to hear a Hibs manager talking!

I don't think we should should read between the lines really. I think Yogi's message was quite clear. I would imagine that if everyone responds in the right way then they will all remain at the club.

.SeventyFive
18-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Just listened to the whole interview.

That's how I want to hear a Hibs manager talking!

I don't think we should should read between the lines really. I think Yogi's message was quite clear. I would imagine that if everyone responds in the right way then they will all remain at the club.

Agreed. I was pleased at how down to earth he was treating the situation. Fantastic to hear and I really think he will get the best out of these lads on Saturday.

Hainan Hibs
18-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Fantastic stuff for me. Waited many years for a manager to tell it like it is.

ahibby
18-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree that it is the attitude we should want to hear from our manager but still there are more questions than answers. I'd like to have heard the conversations on the bus that led Yogi to think oh oh we are in for trouble today. I've been on a few team buses when my team would talk utter p*** before a match and still came away with a good win, so I am entrigued if not puzzled over what he could have heard. Hearing whatever he heard I wonder if he decided to change the first eleven he had in mind or stick with it. I'd say he stuck with it, I'd also say that our midfield is too light weight and any team whose midfield is less effective than their opponents is in for a bad day at the office. Yes our team has more flair in it than previously with the return of Zemmama, and the introduction of Stokes and Miller but where is the dig and domination in midfield going to come from? Okay in my view as small as he is Zemmama is pretty good at taking the ball away from opponents but someone else needs to be in there with him with the same ability and I just don't see it coming from anyone, other than maybe Bamba but he's being played at the back. Yogi has said that last year he thought that Hibs were a bit of a soft touch, well I am waiting to see a change, and waiting still.

Niffy
18-09-2009, 11:35 AM
So how long does Yogi get to blame the players / the attitude / the weather etc before the blame starts getting fired at him ?

With all the hype , his "fantasticly possitive & honest" interviews etc , and we get turned over by Hamilton instead of being 1 point of top... he's not exactly been left with Mixus squad either.

I just hope it's not another John Collins type of situation where it's all talk and no points.

poolman
18-09-2009, 11:38 AM
So how long does Yogi get to blame the players / the attitude / the weather etc before the blame starts getting fired at him ?

With all the hype , his "fantasticly possitive & honest" interviews etc , and we get turned over by Hamilton instead of being 1 point of top... he's not exactly been left with Mixus squad either.

I just hope it's not another John Collins type of situation where it's all talk and no points.

Calm doon man

He took some of the blame himself for last week and I never heard him mention the weather :bitchy:

HFC 0-7
18-09-2009, 11:43 AM

I dont think we will ever really no what the situation really is. But if it is the same sort of situation as John Collins had then maybe we were a bit too harsh on JC and that the problems are really the Hibs culture. I think if anyone would be able to break any such culture it would be Yogi. Its early days in the season and maybe because we are not used to such honesty from managers we are reading into it a bit too much and looking for a scenario worse than what it actually is. Maybe the atmosphere on the bus is because of players worrying about positions. It is good to have competition for places but maybe too much is having an adverse affect. There are so many midfielders people may be worrying about there place, and with players like wotherspoon who have great games then are dropped it would be hard to feel confident!

Niffy
18-09-2009, 11:52 AM
But even Yogi saying that on the bus , and while warming up he knew things were wrong... why not get them in , and re-focus them ??

Or can't he do that for whatever reason ? Has he not got control in the dressing room ?

Next 2 games will be a kiss & tell.

hibbie02
18-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Calm doon man

He took some of the blame himself for last week and I never heard him mention the weather :bitchy:

Does anyone think it strange that the clouds in the background arnae moving? It's the East Coast of Scotland FFS...they should be fair skudding by. I smell a conspiracy and a cover up.:greengrin

Dibben
18-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone think it strange that the clouds in the background arnae moving? It's the East Coast of Scotland FFS...they should be fair skudding by. I smell a conspiracy and a cover up.:greengrin

Given time, I think this will all blow over...

:agree:

BH.

RIP
18-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I think the problem that any Hibs Manager faces is that he clearly is no longer the boss.

Sir Tom is the owner, Petrie's the 'hire and fire' boss and Scott Lindsay is in more of a commercial manager role. In the Hibs heirarchy Collins, Mixu and Yogi were/are a bit like the teacher to Petrie's headmaster. Pupils these days are never that afraid of their teacher because even he is subject to the rules of the headmaster.

So Hibs13681 you are correct to interpret Yogi's recent frustrations as similar to those which the last three or four managers faced. Collins could not get the support he wanted from Petrie because Rod was unwilling to devolve to John full responsibility for ALL player matters. Rod still wanted to retain a final say on discipline issues and player ins and outs.

I'll never forget watching JC at the opening of East Mains. What should have been a triumphant day for the the guy turned into a sad spectacle with Sir Tom, Rod, board and dignitaries effectively sidelining Collins. He was treated that day like the 'wee laddie' while the true bosses mixed wi the cooncillors and celebrities.

IMO the culture at Hibs under Petrie has relegated the team manager to that of a lesser role as the coach/trainer. Some players tend to do what they want on and off the pitch and pay no more than lip service to his training sessions, formations and lifestyle guidance.

Mowbray tried to address this culture with painted messages of motivation on the walls in Easter Road. Collins tried diet, fitness and discipline regimes. Mixu tried a half-hearted 'old boys' approach.

None of these methods brought an end to slacking and indiscipline. Because I am sad to say that the manager's role at Hibs has completely lost any authority it once had.

We've come a long way from the days of Willie McCartney and Hugh Shaw. They said jump and the players said how high.

That's the Bosman era for ye!!

Andy74
18-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I think the problem that any Hibs Manager faces is that he clearly is no longer the boss.

Sir Tom is the owner, Petrie's the 'hire and fire' boss and Scott Lindsay is in more of a commercial manager role. In the Hibs heirarchy Collins, Mixu and Yogi were/are a bit like the teacher to Petrie's headmaster. Pupils these days are never that afraid of their teacher because even he is subject to the rules of the headmaster.

So Hibs13681 you are correct to interpret Yogi's recent frustrations as similar to those which the last three or four managers faced. Collins could not get the support he wanted from Petrie because Rod was unwilling to devolve to John full responsibility for ALL player matters. Rod still wanted to retain a final say on discipline issues and player ins and outs.

I'll never forget watching JC at the opening of East Mains. What should have been a triumphant day for the the guy turned into a sad spectacle with Sir Tom, Rod, board and dignitaries effectively sidelining Collins. He was treated that day like the 'wee laddie' while the true bosses mixed wi the cooncillors and celebrities.

IMO the culture at Hibs under Petrie has relegated the team manager to that of a lesser role as the coach/trainer. Some players tend to do what they want on and off the pitch and pay no more than lip service to his training sessions, formations and lifestyle guidance.

Mowbray tried to address this culture with painted messages of motivation on the walls in Easter Road. Collins tried diet, fitness and discipline regimes. Mixu tried a half-hearted 'old boys' approach.

None of these methods brought an end to slacking and indiscipline. Because I am sad to say that the manager's role at Hibs has completely lost any authority it once had.

We've come a long way from the days of Willie McCartney and Hugh Shaw. They said jump and the players said how high.

A load of p1sh I reckon. Anytime there are issues with players commitment or behaviour you seem to bring this back to Petrie. The day to day culture at the club is very much the realm of the manager.

I suppose given the fact all is going reasonably well off the park and the manager is being backed heavily there has to be something left to throw at Petrie eh?

Speedway
18-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Yogi has already suggested and hinted at this with his "the fans are going to have to trust me..." comments.

I thought this was a typical good Yogi interview but i'm still baffled as to his "I maybe picked too many flair players" comments on last Sunday.

Does he mean for the bench?:confused:

I think he means too many forwards and should have gone with a meatier 4-4-2.

I can see Derek being for the chop at some point, either on the bench or out of the club.

Dashing Bob S
18-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree that it is the attitude we should want to hear from our manager but still there are more questions than answers. I'd like to have heard the conversations on the bus that led Yogi to think oh oh we are in for trouble today. I've been on a few team buses when my team would talk utter p*** before a match and still came away with a good win, so I am entrigued if not puzzled over what he could have heard. Hearing whatever he heard I wonder if he decided to change the first eleven he had in mind or stick with it. I'd say he stuck with it, I'd also say that our midfield is too light weight and any team whose midfield is less effective than their opponents is in for a bad day at the office. Yes our team has more flair in it than previously with the return of Zemmama, and the introduction of Stokes and Miller but where is the dig and domination in midfield going to come from? Okay in my view as small as he is Zemmama is pretty good at taking the ball away from opponents but someone else needs to be in there with him with the same ability and I just don't see it coming from anyone, other than maybe Bamba but he's being played at the back. Yogi has said that last year he thought that Hibs were a bit of a soft touch, well I am waiting to see a change, and waiting still.

Very good post and I agree that we need more dig in the middle of the park. I'd have Bamba back in the midfield, sitting in front of McCormack and Murray as centre-backs, with Cregg to chase and Miller and Zemmama/Wotherspoon as attacking midfielders.

Andy74
18-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Very good post and I agree that we need more dig in the middle of the park. I'd have Bamba back in the midfield, sitting in front of McCormack and Murray as centre-backs, with Cregg to chase and Miller and Zemmama/Wotherspoon as attacking midfielders.

The probalem is we also want to keep and pass the ball and there is a real need for a McBride type player to get the ball and link it otherwise we are looking at our centre halfs trying to make passes.

It's a a tough balance but I'm not sure Bamba is a midfielder that will allow us to play the way we want.

I think what's needed is for ther guy s that are picked to show more commitment because they are capable of a tackle.

Speedway
18-09-2009, 01:27 PM
The probalem is we also want to keep and pass the ball and there is a real need for a McBride type player to get the ball and link it otherwise we are looking at our centre halfs trying to make passes.

It's a a tough balance but I'm not sure Bamba is a midfielder that will allow us to play the way we want.

I think what's needed is for ther guy s that are picked to show more commitment because they are capable of a tackle.

Agreed. At the moment McBride is about the only player that we can't make a decent case for dropping.

ahibby
18-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Agreed. At the moment McBride is about the only player that we can't make a decent case for dropping.

While I have nothing against McBride playing in midfield and appreciate that he can be the link up man I think we need beside Zemmama, I was led to believe that he was one of the weakest links against Hamilton. Is that not the case then? Yogi certainly seems to think he is one of our central figures in the team, well I come to that conclusion because he kept him on for 90 against Celtic when it was obvious he was on his chin strap with fifteen to go. I have said in other posts that Bamba is handy in midfield for winning the ball but the problem is he can't be creative with it thereafter and hence the reason he is played in defence now. I have felt we needed a strong winner of the ball in midfield who must also be creative with it. I still dream of another Kevin Thompson coming along but must appreciate we don't have two million to splash out on that kind of player and how many of them are free? So hopefully McBride will come very good.

Andy74
18-09-2009, 02:38 PM
While I have nothing against McBride playing in midfield and appreciate that he can be the link up man I think we need beside Zemmama, I was led to believe that he was one of the weakest links against Hamilton. Is that not the case then? Yogi certainly seems to think he is one of our central figures in the team, well I come to that conclusion because he kept him on for 90 against Celtic when it was obvious he was on his chin strap with fifteen to go. I have said in other posts that Bamba is handy in midfield for winning the ball but the problem is he can't be creative with it thereafter and hence the reason he is played in defence now. I have felt we needed a strong winner of the ball in midfield who must also be creative with it. I still dream of another Kevin Thompson coming along but must appreciate we don't have two million to splash out on that kind of player and how many of them are free? So hopefully McBride will come very good.

McBride wasn't really a weak link v Hamilton, he kept going back to take the ball but with a lack of any sort of movement and any players willing to show and take responsibility he was generally forced to give it straight back to Hogg.

ancient hibee
18-09-2009, 04:29 PM

There has never been a Hibs manager in my time with total control and certainly not Hugh Shaw who did exactly what Harry Swan told him.

Kato
18-09-2009, 04:41 PM
There has never been a Hibs manager in my time with total control and certainly not Hugh Shaw who did exactly what Harry Swan told him.

Hugh Shaw was one of the best fitness trainers who ever lived.

On the park and in the dressing room Eddie Turnbull and Gordon Smith called the shots.

ancient hibee
18-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Hugh Shaw was one of the best fitness trainers who ever lived.

On the park and in the dressing room Eddie Turnbull and Gordon Smith called the shots.
Exactly-Hugh Shaw had no say in players coming and going and not always on picking the team.

stubru59
18-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Hughes makes some good and telling points. Like many on this board I'm just glad we are getting told the facts as they are.

Whose in and whose out will not be determined by the Hamilton game alone.

Hughes has obviously taken note of the fair weather type players who turn up when and if it suits..

Rome, as they say, was not built in a day. Nor was it built by technicians alone.

Honest hard graft laid the foundations and this I think is the message Hughes is trying get through.

ancient hibee
18-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I still find it puzzling that the two guys Hughes brought from Falkirk are ones that he wouldn't play when the chips were down last season.

CapitalHibs
18-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Jock Stein?

JimBHibees
18-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Strange interview IMO. Dropping a few hand grenades would suggest Deek or Stokes IMO players who think they are going to play whatever.

I would keep Miller for the bench and play

Maka/Stack

McCormack Murray Bamba Hanlon

Wotherspoon Cregg McBride Rankin

Deek Stokes

blackhibee
18-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Excellent post.:top marks

Aubenas
18-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Sorry Ancient, you have ten years on me and I respect your right to comment. However, I don't want the Hibs manager to have 'total control'. As has been repeatedly stated, a manager is only as good as his last game, anywhere. For that reason, if they have any professional career sense, they will do what is best for their CV so that, when they, inevitably, get the sack, they will be in a good position to get another job. And who are we to condemn that.

It's a fact, and, IIRC, Yogi was talking about ambitions to manage in England even before he'd properly started at Hibs. I can live with that, and I do believe, as Hibs manager, he has the club's best interests (as well as his own) at heart. For all that, the job of the Board is to ensure Hibs continue as a sustainable business for our kids and their kids. That may not always make them popular, but it does mean they have different priorities to a manager - and quite rightly.

FWIW I support Yogi and am quite excited by his approach, but I'm also aware that, one day, he won't be here, and I'll still want a team to support - and that's the job of Petrie, Lindsay and co. And I honestly can't think of a Board in Scotland I'd rather have,

NOLA
18-09-2009, 09:33 PM
But even Yogi saying that on the bus , and while warming up he knew things were wrong... why not get them in , and re-focus them ??

Or can't he do that for whatever reason ? Has he not got control in the dressing room ?

Next 2 games will be a kiss & tell.

i don't understand why after hearing some players conversations on the bus he didn't think it necessary to stand up at some point and remind them what was needed? also during the warm up did brian rice not feel the need to step in and get them telt that it wasn't good enough? maybe he did but i wasn't there so don't know!

Rasta_Hibs
18-09-2009, 10:05 PM
i don't understand why after hearing some players conversations on the bus he didn't think it necessary to stand up at some point and remind them what was needed? also during the warm up did brian rice not feel the need to step in and get them telt that it wasn't good enough? maybe he did but i wasn't there so don't know!

I hear what your saying!

Maybe he didnt want to treat them like school kids and maybe he is giving some enough rope to hang themselves. If he didnt say anything then maybe is getting to know their true personalitys.

Im sure in the fullness of time that bad performances will result in a good telling off from yogi but maybe at this time he is still assesing a few to find out the true nature of his players?

So that in the future he will have a bunch of players who dont need to be told to get up for matches or warm up with focus?

King Paddy
18-09-2009, 10:46 PM
If Yogi felt that what he overheard was not to his liking then surely he should have stepped in and banged some heads together. I have felt for some time that Yogi is to close to the players, and this has allowed them to get complacent. Yogi IMHO needs to take a step back, and separate himself from being one of the boys. I was at Hamilton and i have to say i was disgusted at the total lack of effort from each individual player. I am not confident going into tomorrows double header with St. Jonstone, and i hope i am wrong but things could get very tight for Yogi unless the whole team improves collectively.

lapsedhibee
18-09-2009, 10:50 PM
So that in the future he will have a bunch of players who dont need to be told to get up for matches or warm up with focus?

It would shirley be acceptable to have Thijs Van Leer (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.focuscollection.com/homepages/images/7_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://focuscollection.loginett.com/homepages/h0007.html&usg=__zqD9Bq7egdk76JlcKAyTIE4pteg=&h=276&w=348&sz=37&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=2BEjdVa4SIXkWM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthijs%2Bvan%2Bleer%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN %26um%3D1) on the pitch before kick-off at Greyskull. :agree:

silverhibee
18-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I think he means too many forwards and should have gone with a meatier 4-4-2.

I can see Derek being for the chop at some point, either on the bench or out of the club.

Not if Yogi has anything to do with it, i think you are wrong in thinking that Derek is the problem at ER.