PDA

View Full Version : The 'ego' issue.

Jim44
17-09-2009, 09:58 PM
In the most recent HI interview, Hughes is quite forthright about the problem he has with certain un-named players. He doesn't try to make light of the situation by saying that he'll sort it out etc. etc.. On the contrary he says that these players just don't come up to the mark and don't have the personality to deal with it and I get the impression they will be given short shrift very soon. I wonder who he is talking about. :hmmm:

sahib
17-09-2009, 10:57 PM
In the most recent HI interview, Hughes is quite forthright about the problem he has with certain un-named players. He doesn't try to make light of the situation by saying that he'll sort it out etc. etc.. On the contrary he says that these players just don't come up to the mark and don't have the personality to deal with it and I get the impression they will be given short shrift very soon. I wonder who he is talking about. :hmmm:

I am wondering this too, after his BBC interview. Assuming it isn't Cregg, Stokes or McBride, since that would make him look a bit silly, or Hogg ("he's a great professional on and off the park") or yet Rankin ("he's like Adonis") then we are left with Hanlon, Murray, Bamba, Riordan and Nish. Murray and Bamba are whole-hearted players. This leaves Nish and Riordan from the starting line up, as I can't see a young player like Hanlon crossing Hughes and surely he would just quietly drop him if he did.

Iain G
18-09-2009, 01:12 AM
I am wondering this too, after his BBC interview. Assuming it isn't Cregg, Stokes or McBride, since that would make him look a bit silly, or Hogg ("he's a great professional on and off the park") or yet Rankin ("he's like Adonis") then we are left with Hanlon, Murray, Bamba, Riordan and Nish. Murray and Bamba are whole-hearted players. This leaves Nish and Riordan from the starting line up, as I can't see a young player like Hanlon crossing Hughes and surely he would just quietly drop him if he did.

Yet he has been very complimentary about both Nish and Riordan in recent weeks :agree:

Haven't seen/heard the interview in question, but I'm not really sure who you would put in the category he is talking about?

Can't really see it being any of the youngsters (and if it is that will soon be knocked out of them!), so leaves those other first team players like Thicot, Benji, Zoomer or Stevenson...I know which out of those 4 I would put my money on :wink:

Hibercelona
18-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Yet he has been very complimentary about both Nish and Riordan in recent weeks :agree:

Haven't seen/heard the interview in question, but I'm not really sure who you would put in the category he is talking about?

Can't really see it being any of the youngsters (and if it is that will soon be knocked out of them!), so leaves those other first team players like Thicot, Benji, Zoomer or Stevenson...I know which out of those 4 I would put my money on :wink:

It is strange that he wasnt in the squad against Hamilton.

But I don't think he would be 1 of them IMO.

I think Benji's learned from his attitude problems and that he's now fired up to prove to the club what he can do.

I think he just needs a goal to get him going again IMO.

I would also hate to think that Riordan could be up for nomination. He's a player we strongly need in the team.... but we all know of his reputation off the field. If he is one of the players in Yogi's bad books... hopefully they can sort things out fast.

As for your Thicots, Zoomas & Stevensons.... I highly doubt any of them would be considered trouble makers at the club. You never get 1 word of bad press about these three in the newspapers and hopefully its the same story in the dressing room.

The_Horde
18-09-2009, 02:54 AM
And he's recently tipped Riordan for a call up to the National squad and has been full of praise for him. :confused:

Brooster
18-09-2009, 06:44 AM
My guess is that he is referring to Bamba :wink:

Septimus
18-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Surely all of this calls John Hughes' man management abilities into question. It may well be that he has trouble with certain team members but inuendoes and comments to the media are dubious routes to correcting this. It is his job to put things right and he should learn that this should be done without spreading rumours which taint the whole operation.

euro Hibby
18-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I would not lose sleep over it....managers say things for reactions and newspapers report as they best think to get a headline. I think Yogi knows what he is doing and will know how to get the best from any group of players. If they don't row the boat they will be looking for a new club .....

You have to remember these are young guys earning good money, enough to make us all think we might be better than we really are. I liked his little bit on Liam Miller who he describes as a real gentleman, thanking the chef, in the gym working like a pro ...........

smurf
18-09-2009, 07:37 AM
My guess is that he is referring to Bamba :wink:

My thoughts too. The guy who spoke about Liverpool being interested in him...

Jack
18-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I think Benji's learned from his attitude problems and that he's now fired up to prove to the club what he can do.

I don’t think he has to be honest. There's a thread on the Bounce, by the resident Moroccan, relaying what Benji has been saying to the media over there. Basically there's an English club who are interested but he’ll have to score 10 goals before they come knocking. So who approached who on that one? Blessed with a great talent, smitten by having no brain!

My thoughts too. The guy who spoke about Liverpool being interested in him...
I think Bamba is a big silly laddie. Apparently he was the same at Dunfermline. His agent spins him a few lines and the next thing you know its in the papers. Could just be a confidence thing, who knows?