PDA

View Full Version : NHC 5 referees - what's the point?

scott7_0(Prague)
17-09-2009, 09:57 PM
5 referees - what's the point?

Tonight I was attending the Sparta v PSV Eindhoven Europa League match where the finished 2-2 (to Sparta :-)) but as it was a novelty having 5 active refs I took pleasure in watching what the fella beside the goals actually did throughout the match. For me the served no purpose at all apart from target practice from the Sparta Ultras and their coloured paper, even in the 85th minute when the ref gave a very dodgy penalty from where I was sitting the assistant and the assistants assistants referee ( or what ever thy are called) did absolutely nothing. Even though it was clear that both 2nd and 3rd officials had a much better view of the alleged incident. So my question is why have assistants if they are not going to bother participating in the evet???

Hibercelona
17-09-2009, 09:59 PM
:agree:

1 Referee
2 Linesmen
1 man to do the video replays.

Is it really that difficult to install that system into the game? :dunno:

Musselbound
17-09-2009, 10:18 PM
:agree:

1 Referee
2 Linesmen
1 man to do the video replays.

Is it really that difficult to install that system into the game? :dunno:

Agreed. Shouldn't be too difficult at professional level. These new assistants must be half asleep much of the time and could just as easily miss something.

scott7_0(Prague)
17-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Agreed. Shouldn't be too difficult at professional level. These new assistants must be half asleep much of the time and could just as easily miss something.
Mate all I saw them do was dodge bits of coloured paper and do a few streches and at one point when Sparta were attacking the assistant assistant was on the Sparta 18yard line, now I am sure that's not allowed!!!

VegasHibby
17-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I was watching the U.S. Open tennis last week. Their line disputes are settled with a computer system and sensors. It works really well.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I was watching the U.S. Open tennis last week. Their line disputes are settled with a computer system and sensors. It works really well.

It could work in a similar way to the tennis challenge system as well.

Each team could have 4 or 5 (for argument's sake) challenges per game for any yellow/red cards, penalty decisions etc and if the team's challenge is correct, they keep all their challenges but if they are wrong then they lose a challenge.

The only difficulty I could see in implementing such a system is that in tennis a line call challenge is black and white. By that I mean that the line judge was either right or wrong in their decision to call a ball out or in. The result of a challenge will be consistent for every single player.

Whereas in football, it's much more subjective. It's up to an individual's interpretation of the rules as to whether or not it should have been a foul or it should have been a straight red card etc. So in many ways, it will depend entirely on who the reviewer is.

scott7_0(Prague)
18-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Well well, what should I have expected looking at the reports this morning and all 5 official were Scottish.

McDonald - Conquer - Chambers - Muir - Conroy

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Pat nevin came up with a few good spots last night. The ref was giving a goal kick, until the 5th linesman told him it was a corner. And he also spotted that there was a lot less holding of players and shirts, when free kicks and corners were delivered. Also there was one instance when a player could have dived, but it was right in front of the 5th linesman, and pat thought he stayed on his feet because of that.

Going by what i saw last night, it was a good thing, although it will be an awful expense for lower league teams.

Mike777
18-09-2009, 10:02 AM
It is a silly thing to have, i certainly would'nt like to be the assistant standing infront of some pyscho fans chucking stuff at me especially if you make the right or wrong choice.

Everton's game last night was a good one, the points Pat Nevin made where spot on, both 2nd assistant made good calls with the corner instead of a goal kick and maybe with Baines going down nearer the end, I though it brought a bit more excitement as well.

scott7_0(Prague)
18-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah may have worked well in that game, but for me last night new assistant did not do enough for me, especially at the penalty incident, but then he was on the wrong side of the pitch. So that leads to the question should we have 8 assistants running all the lines or just get video evidence involved??

jgl07
18-09-2009, 11:12 AM
5 referees - what's the point?

You missed out the fourth official. That makes it six referees.

cwilliamson85
18-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Why cant we put a sensor in the middle of the ball and a sensor on the line (post to post) then a big siren and light goes off when the sensors cross each toher. Like ice hockey!!!

1 ref
2 linesman
1 computer!!!

scott7_0(Prague)
18-09-2009, 11:39 AM
You missed out the fourth official. That makes it six referees.
Wrong, the guy at the dug outs cannot influence any decision hence I left him out ;-)

MacBean
18-09-2009, 11:52 AM
In the everton game, the ref behind the goals should have given a penalty.

There was an incident right infront of him when osman (i think) was clearly brought down and should have been given a pen...

useless really!

Ell_Chrisso
18-09-2009, 12:15 PM
In the everton game, the ref behind the goals should have given a penalty.

There was an incident right infront of him when osman (i think) was clearly brought down and should have been given a pen...

useless really!

Maybe they just need Beefy on the park?
That will sort out all the problems :wink:

RyeSloan
18-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Why cant we put a sensor in the middle of the ball and a sensor on the line (post to post) then a big siren and light goes off when the sensors cross each toher. Like ice hockey!!!

1 ref
2 linesman
1 computer!!!

Ice Hockey has no such thing...the light and siren go off only when the refs indicate a goal.

I believe that the 'sensor in the ball' has been developed and trialled by Addidas for a number of years but has proven to be inaccuare and unreliable. I'm not quite sure why they can't what on the face of it sounds reasonably simple to work but until then we are faced with 5 refs.

As for video evidence, very hard to introduce that into football in any meaningful way without having too many significant pauses..most other sports have natural breaks in which to review such items but fotball, being a fluid and dynamic sport, simply doesn't conform so easily.

Dibben
18-09-2009, 12:32 PM
If there was a ref behind the goals last Sunday, he would have identified the player who handballed, which would have resulted in Hamilton going down to 10 men and a much quicker taken Penalty - who knows Deek may have scored!!!

BH.

cwilliamson85
18-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Ice Hockey has no such thing...the light and siren go off only when the refs indicate a goal.

I believe that the 'sensor in the ball' has been developed and trialled by Addidas for a number of years but has proven to be inaccuare and unreliable. I'm not quite sure why they can't what on the face of it sounds reasonably simple to work but until then we are faced with 5 refs.

As for video evidence, very hard to introduce that into football in any meaningful way without having too many significant pauses..most other sports have natural breaks in which to review such items but fotball, being a fluid and dynamic sport, simply doesn't conform so easily.

Didnt realise that. I am sure mid summer BBC ran a thing on the news (slow days for news between iraq war and everybody losing money) but they had guys from Europe who have made goals with a sensor and it sends a vibration to the refs wristband when it goes off. I think the only thing that put FA's off was cost.

Will try and find the link to the video in BBC archive.

bawheid
18-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Going by what i saw last night, it was a good thing, although it will be an awful expense for lower league teams.

As I understand it, if this is proven to be a success it will only be rolled out to Champions League, Europa Cup and the top division in each country, because of the man power and resource involved.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2009, 12:43 PM

1 ref
2 linesman
1 computer!!!

Computer says "NO!":wink: