View Full Version : (NHC) Gary Caldwell

SidBurns
17-09-2009, 12:03 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8260673.stm

Stilla cock-a-doodle-doo then!?!

Hibercelona
17-09-2009, 12:08 PM
He'll be emptied. :agree:

1 player that Hibs would never take back.

Biggie
17-09-2009, 12:09 PM

agree sid...the worlds gone mad if anyone pays him £18k a week for trying to play football.....

keep the faith
17-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Less the "a doodle doo"

Hainan Hibs
17-09-2009, 12:19 PM
The way Lego Man comes across you would think Real Madrid, Man United and Inter were all banging on his door with contracts.

Beefster
17-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Despite some Hibs fans thinking that Caldwell is pish (which IMHO is more down to the manner of his departure), you don't win multiple POTY awards for being a huddy. He's far from world class but he's one of the best defenders in the SPL right now.

He's playing a dangerous game though. I'd imagine that the Soapies will turn on him now.

bawheid
17-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Who does this guy think he is?!!

Some of the stuff he comes out with in the press is astonishing.

If I was Lawwell I'd be on the phone to him telling him to pack his bags because he's going on loan to Cowdenbeath.

sambajustice
17-09-2009, 12:23 PM
After the start to the season this clown has had? Red cards, Own goals, mistakes galore! He'll be lucky if he gets £1.8k, nevermind £18-£20k!!!

Mag7
17-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Despite some Hibs fans thinking that Caldwell is pish (which IMHO is more down to the manner of his departure), you don't win multiple POTY awards for being a huddy. He's far from world class but he's one of the best defenders in the SPL right now.

He's playing a dangerous game though. I'd imagine that the Soapies will turn on him now.

By SPL standards he's doing OK, but he has a vastly inflated opinion of his abilities judging by the stuff he comes out with. You'd think a few OGs and sendings-off of late would have taught him some humility but he continues in the same arrogant vein. I find him extremely irritating.

SidBurns
17-09-2009, 01:06 PM

I agree but that just goes to show how bad the SPL is at the moment!

Jim44
17-09-2009, 01:08 PM
In the Scotsman he says he fancies Celtic to win the Europa Cup. He goes on to say that the UEFA CUP was a diddy competition which nobody really tried to win and therefore put out weakened teams to rest their players. But this year according to the idiot the new format is similar to the Champions League and has somevery good teams in it. It's a better competition...............well of course Gary, Celtic are in it. God I pray they get cuffed tonight. :bitchy:

Woody1985
17-09-2009, 01:16 PM
In the Scotsman he says he fancies Celtic to win the Europa Cup. He goes on to say that the UEFA CUP was a diddy competition which nobody really tried to win and therefore put out weakened teams to rest their players. But this year according to the idiot the new format is similar to the Champions League and has somevery good teams in it. It's a better competition...............well of course Gary, Celtic are in it. God I pray they get cuffed tonight. :bitchy:

Is it on TV?

hibsbollah
17-09-2009, 01:17 PM

I think his mistakes alone probably used to cost us around 10 points a season under Mowbray. Its nothing to do with the manner of his departure IMO, he was just awful.

marinello59
17-09-2009, 01:21 PM
"If the club say that's too much then I think they are kidding themselves on that they can pay others a lot more than they can pay me. That's their opinion of me as a footballer and we have to move on."

Yeap, telling his employers they are kidding themselves, that's going to help his case. He'll be accepting a wage cut to stay there before the season is over.

iwasthere1972
17-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Is it on TV?

Don't think so.

Everton v AEK on FIVE starting 7.30pm
and
Fulham v CSKA Sofia on ITV4 starting at 5.30pm.

JackRegan
17-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Go to www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk and read the "Heid" thread.

The man is a complete tool and the sooner this imposter gets hunted the better.

And to think you lot complain when we "steal" your players. :wink:

Darren1875
17-09-2009, 01:34 PM
It's on espn @ 6 sky 442

JackRegan
17-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I think his mistakes alone probably used to cost us around 10 points a season under Mowbray. Its nothing to do with the manner of his departure IMO, he was just awful.

Question: What player has scored the most goald against Celtic in the Champions League?

Is it...

a.) Nuno Gomez, the Portuguese international who has faced Celtic on four occasions.

b.) Wayne Rooney, who like Gomez has played against Celtic 4 times in the competition.

c.) Kaka , again with 4 games against the hoops

or

d.) Gary Caldwell. The bulbous cranium occupying Central Defence at Celtic FC.

Answer: d.) Gary Caldwell with 3 goals.

Woody1985
17-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Question: What player has scored the most goald against Celtic in the Champions League?

Is it...

a.) Nuno Gomez, the Portuguese international who has faced Celtic on four occasions.

b.) Wayne Rooney, who like Gomez has played against Celtic 4 times in the competition.

or

:faf: :faf: :faf:

iwasthere1972
17-09-2009, 02:20 PM
It's on espn @ 6 sky 442

:doh: Forgot I get ESPN. I'll be able to watch it now. :greengrin

Or Channel 417 if you don't have HD.

TheEastTerrace
17-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Doesn't half have a high opinion of himself for one who's had a 'mare of a start to the season for club and country. If he sought a "fresh challenge" in the EPL, he would be explicitly exposed as the calamatous defender we all came to know well in a Hibs and Sellick jersey.

Big Frank
17-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Is it...

or

:faf:

Good old Calamity Caldwell !

Didn't rate him too much when he wore the famous Green Jersey, and don't rate him too highly now.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-09-2009, 02:39 PM
With Dave Weir almost ready to be put out to grass, wouldn't it be great if he signed a pre-contract deal with Rangers? Then TM could play him the same way he justified playing him for us, and if he sells a goal within 10 minutes of the first game after the news breaks, then that would be ok too.

Tomsk
17-09-2009, 02:41 PM

I recall thinking at the time when he was awarded the POY that the award organisers would have been better declaring that the standard was so poor they were not going to make an award this year rather than give it to Caldwell -- but both approaches add up to the same thing really.

JackRegan
17-09-2009, 02:43 PM
With Dave Weir almost ready to be put out to grass, wouldn't it be great if he signed a pre-contract deal with Rangers? Then TM could play him the same way he justified playing him for us, and if he sells a goal within 10 minutes of the first game after the news breaks, then that would be ok too.

Funnily enough, in our post match analysis in the boozer, my friends and I were of the opinion that we would not be surprised if he went to der hun.

7Hero
17-09-2009, 02:45 PM
walked up to caldwell at a players signing thing after hehad signed the pre contract with celtic.

thought he was arrogant just by looking at him, as he sat there playing with his hair i asked him to sign a strip as i wanted to get the whole team that year.

once he signed it i said to him, "i can't make that out, whats your name again"...

and then i left :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Funnily enough, in our post match analysis in the boozer, my friends and I were of the opinion that we would not be surprised if he went to der hun.

I think that he maybe gets a longer run in your team because he can move up the field a bit and play the defensive midfield role? Apart from that though, when players allow comments like this get into the media it is a bit like the tail wagging the dog and no one likes that.

JackRegan
17-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that he maybe gets a longer run in your team because he can move up the field a bit and play the defensive midfield role? Apart from that though, when players allow comments like this get into the media it is a bit like the tail wagging the dog and no one likes that.

The bold Strachan played him there 8 times last season. We won once.

The word is he's jealous of Hinkel's wage and there is now some seriosu animosity between them. Rumour also has it that Hinkel only stayed in August beacuase he was assured Caldwell will be off in January.

stubru59
17-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I keep thinking about the Bobby Robson quote put on this board not so long ago:

"Caldwell was too small to be a CH and too slow to be a FB".

Sums it up nicely.

Any team that pays him anywhere near £18k a week would have to be as deluded as he is..

euro Hibby
17-09-2009, 03:57 PM
always amazes me why players feel the need to bleet to the newspapers....shows little respect for the club. He also is pretty average as a player , might make the Championship ........

poolman
17-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Who does this guy think he is?!!

Some of the stuff he comes out with in the press is astonishing.

If I was Lawwell I'd be on the phone to him telling him to pack his bags because he's going on loan to Cowdenbeath.

:agree: Heid's up his own jacksy, loved this bit

"I've proved I'm an asset to the football club and we asked for figures which fell in line with that," he said. :faf:

If scoring own goals is an asset he's got it spot on :agree:

MSK
17-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Funnily enough, in our post match analysis in the boozer, my friends and I were of the opinion that we would not be surprised if he went to der hun.Are they in a financial position to meet his demands ..?...

If he harbours any hopes of playing in the premiership he can forget about that..no way is he premiership class ..or championship for that matter ..

Unless of course some mugs see differently...

lapsedhibee
17-09-2009, 04:20 PM

I dreamt last night that Caldwell scored an own goal header from a corner against Hapoel tomorra night to make it 1-0 in the last few minutes, then for some reason I saw the footage of Adebayor running to the Arsenal fans to get it up them for City, next hing Heid is infront of the Celtic fans celebrating his og and rips off his shirt to reveal a GIRUY t shirt, at this point I'm actually in the crowd going mental. I then woke up on the floor I'd fell out of bed trying to get at him. :greengrin

Edinburgh Green
17-09-2009, 04:36 PM
The bold Strachan played him there 8 times last season. We won once.

The word is he's jealous of Hinkel's wage and there is now some seriosu animosity between them. Rumour also has it that Hinkel only stayed in August beacuase he was assured Caldwell will be off in January.

Looks like he's back there tonight :greengrin

iwasthere1972
17-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Looks like he's back there tonight :greengrin

:agree: The guy at pitchside has already said who will be stepping up for any penalties that Haifa get. :devil:

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2009, 05:39 PM

The man is a complete tool and the sooner this imposter gets hunted the better.

And to think you lot complain when we "steal" your players. :wink:

We moaned at Brown and Riordan, but everyone was laughing when Celtic signed Caldwell. Wouldn't have this clown back at ER, even with our defence as unsettled as it is. If you can get a fee from a championship club for him, bite their hands off.

Jim44
17-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Ironically he's made a superb long pass to put Samaras through for Celtic's first goal.

VegasHibby
17-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Is it...

or

Nice one :thumbsup:

johnbc70
17-09-2009, 06:13 PM

That would be something, remember Mowbray telling us what bad boys we were? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4612830.stm

Interesting to see if Mowbray is true to his word and will play him if Caldwell signs a pre-contract with another team (would love it to be with Rangers)

CallumLaidlaw
17-09-2009, 06:27 PM
calamity could do with remembering that pre-hibs, he couldnt get in championship teams. He's a ok player in a poor league. Rangers have had a few much superior centre halfs in recent years, Bougherra and Cuellar to name 2. He is NOT worth £18k a week tho. I wouldn't pay him more than £5k a week.

Danderhall Hibs
17-09-2009, 06:28 PM
:faf: £18k a week. :faf:

blackhibee
17-09-2009, 06:40 PM
What an enditement on our league if this clown is worth anything like what he seems to think he is. I remember hearing a rumour a while back about why Riordan originally left Hibs, because he was not getting the same wages as O'Connor and Caldwell. They were the 2 highest paid players at the club seemingly. No complaints about Garry, but for Calamity? Do me a favour...

Chuckie
17-09-2009, 06:40 PM
You have to feel a bit sorry for old Lego Head.

He does have a point regarding the wages his team mates are on, and his appearances.

He is disliked by fans up and down the country, including his own clubs fans, and the national teams fans (probably?) Despite turning in some good performances and scoring crucial goals.

I believe it is because he is an unfortunate looking chap. Looking like a hybrid offspring of Herman Munster and Myra Hindley doesn't endear him to a human being. Those cold, hard, beady eyes. The ridiculous square head and thin lips. The gaunt, sickly pale face. The robotic, mechanical way in which he plays football.

If he came round to yours for lunch you'd be keeping your wife and kids out the way.

I wonder what his teammates think of him, because he scares the buggery out of me.

Hibercelona
17-09-2009, 06:42 PM
You have to feel a bit sorry for old Lego Head.

He does have a point regarding the wages his team mates are on, and his appearances.

He is disliked by fans up and down the country, including his own clubs fans, and the national teams fans (probably?) Despite turning in some good performances and scoring crucial goals.

I believe it is because he is an unfortunate looking chap. Looking like a hybrid offspring of Herman Munster and Myra Hindley doesn't endear him to a human being. Those cold, hard, beady eyes. The ridiculous square head and thin lips. The gaunt, sickly pale face. The robotic, mechanical way in which he plays football.

If he came round to yours for lunch you'd be keeping your wife and kids out the way.

I wonder what his teammates think of him, because he scares the buggery out of me.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

CallumLaidlaw
17-09-2009, 06:51 PM
he just thinks he is a lot better than he actually is.
Why shouldnt better players get paid better wages? Ok, there is often exceptions to the rule, but there is a reason why Caldwell earns less than £10k a week, and scott Brown earns £25k. Broony is a much better footballer.

johnbc70
17-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Oh dear - Craig Burley just making a comment on the TV about Caldwell and his interviews about his contract just after Celtic concede to go 2-1 down and lose the game.

The whole defence looked lost at the second goal and not sure what Boruc was doing for the 1st.

Well Gary if your gonna win the Europa League then you have not had the best of starts.

Mike777
17-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Its his wife i feel sorry for him, you reckon she will get a wage rise as well?

johnbc70
17-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Its his wife i feel sorry for him, you reckon she will get a wage rise as well?

You mean she took him back after he was caught cheating on her with a Rangers cheerleader, oh did I say it was when his wife was about to give birth to his child as well. What a nice fella he is.

Mike777
17-09-2009, 07:19 PM
You mean she took him back after he was caught cheating on her with a Rangers cheerleader, oh did I say it was when his wife was about to give birth to his child as well. What a nice fella he is.

Oh Yeh there was that as well, im sure i read she was getting a pay rise for taking him back and a write up in the papers.

Brando7
20-09-2009, 11:03 AM
good article from davie proven today

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/511848/Gary-Caldwells-wage-demands-at-Celtic-prove-games-gone-mad.html

1875godsgift
20-09-2009, 11:11 AM
good article from davie proven today

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/511848/Gary-Caldwells-wage-demands-at-Celtic-prove-games-gone-mad.html
Good picture! Wonder who's pulling his strings?

Hainan Hibs
20-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Good article but the part "There can't be an easier shift anywhere than playing at the back for either half of the Old Firm".

That will be playing for Celtic who have conceded 4 in 4.

archiebald
20-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Anybody know how many own goals he got at Hibs ? :confused:

hibiedude
20-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Caldwell is never a million pound a year player, and come January he'll find out what his true worth to Celtic is.

IndieHibby
20-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I keep thinking about the Bobby Robson quote put on this board not so long ago:

"Caldwell was too small to be a CH and too slow to be a FB".

Sums it up nicely.

Any team that pays him anywhere near £18k a week would have to be as deluded as he is..

Looks like he's off to Hertz to join Kingston and Nade as top earners then!!

--------
20-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Caldwell is never a million pound a year player, and come January he'll find out what his true worth to Celtic is.

Maybe Mowbray could arrange an exchange deal with West Brom for Martis?

Or maybe Celtic couldn't afford the fee WBA would demand to make up for the glaring disparity in ability between them?

VegasHibby
20-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Agreed and I certainly don't see his value but it's obvious Celtic football club do because week in and week out he's picked. The proof is in the pudding. Caldwell can't sign another 4 years of his life without at least justifying a salary increase that is at least average to what his team mates are being paid. After all whether anyone agrees or not he won the Clydesdale Bank player of the year and the SFWA Footballer of the Year. If I were Caldwell I'd do the same thing.
Not everyone rates John Terry but Man City offered him 200,000K a week. WTF !

andrew_dundee
20-09-2009, 10:08 PM
the john terry case is different though because he is playing in a league with lots of money for a club owned by a far out billionaire with a mountain of cash tied up in his team. Caldwell is playing in a much poorer league for a team who are big fish in a small, and diminishing, pond.

simply put caldwell could never make it for a better team than celtic or in a better league than the SPL. Terry is overpaid beyond words but the context is at odds with Caldwell.