PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller / luke's first game

7Hero
17-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Will he be playing on saturday ?

on a side note looking forward to saturday going to be wee lukes first ever hibs game at the tender age of 5. any advice from parfents that have had the same experience...(he's not football daft...yet !!)

MacBean
17-09-2009, 09:56 AM

on a side note looking forward to saturday going to be wee lukes first ever hibs game at the tender age of 5. any advice from parfents that have had the same experience...(he's not football daft...yet !!)

im not a parent and hoping that it is a long way off before i even find a suitable mating partner, however i would imagine getting him totally kitted out in all the hibs gear (if not already) would get him totally psyched for it. As well as probably taking him around the hibs shop ?! something simple i know but i do have no parenting skills!:wink:

The Beastie Bus
17-09-2009, 10:17 AM

I take my son, he's also 5 and have been taking him since he was 3. He was too young at 3 but is now really into it and loves going to see the Hibees. Some advice though.....

1/ Take ample supplies of sweets
2/ Buy a programme for him
3/ Be prepared for him watching everything else except what's going on on the pitch
4/ Enjoy the experience, it's a great day taking them to their first match

:thumbsup:

MSK
17-09-2009, 10:19 AM

on a side note looking forward to saturday going to be wee lukes first ever hibs game at the tender age of 5. any advice from parfents that have had the same experience...(he's not football daft...yet !!)Take plenty money...kids just seem tae want tae eat ..eat ..& eat ...i honestly wished i had a Son tae take tae games, all my Daughters wanted to do was perv at the players & compare legs ..!!! ...:rolleyes:

davemcbain
17-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Buy him something in the club shop on the way in and get him some chips and a coke during the game. He'll associate going to the game with treats.

Personally, I take mine to the west stand - there's not nearly the same excitement and banter as the east, but there's also not a lot of swearing - which keeps mum happy.

Try to get a seat near the steps - he's only 5 and if he's anything like mine has the attention span of a gnat - if he get's antsy, then a trip to the pie stall will maybe cheer him up and will give everyone around you a break. When I took my little un for his first game, the stewards were great and made a real fuss of him when we had to take a wee break.

Takes a few games to get em hooked.. but it's worth it.

hibsbollah
17-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Make sure you take him to the toilet just before kickoff and again at halftime, otherwise he'll be dragging you away every 5 minutes:grr:

sleeping giant
17-09-2009, 10:28 AM
My Son hated his first match and we had to leave at half time:grr: He was 4 at the time (4th birthday)
He loves it now and has had a season ticket for 3 years:thumbsup:

Andy74
17-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I've had my 2 1/2 year old daughter at some friendlies and under 19 games, the dunnfermline away was the first busy game really. No interest in the game but liked the singing and calpiing. Liked the fact everyone else had a Hibs top on the same as her.

Totally no interest in the game and it was 90 mins of finding entertainment, gnerally food, drink and maybe a small book. And yes, stay by the step so they can have a wander and easy access out for walk or to the loos!

Dibben
17-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Folk keep asking me if I'm taking my son to the game...

He's only 2 !!! :bitchy:

Far too young to watch or be interested in whats going on, but too old to sit still for 90 mins!!

Think I'll wait till he's 5!!! :agree:

BH.

aljo7-0
17-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Try not to get too frustrated when you are asked "What's the score?" every 5 minutes. Particularly when you are asked it several times before kick off and the teams are just warming up.

Thinking about it - being asked "Who scored?" after a goal when the away end is up cheering and my head was in my hands - was probably the most difficult moment.

scoopyboy
17-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Dinnae lose him.

I had my 5yo at Preston game and he went AWOl for about a minute.

First thing he told his mother when we got home.

Sprouleflyer
17-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Watch out for him swinging his legs and kicking the guy in front on the back of the head....most guys tend to just laugh it off, but some can get a bit nasty, especially if Hibs are losing.

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2009, 11:20 AM
No matter how interested he seems in wearing Hibs tops, scarfs, going to the club shop, and his initial excitement at getting into the stadium, be prepared, even if it's a good game, for him to soon be very bored and fidgety.

The football experience is different to sitting in a warm, dark cinema, and not all children take to it right away. It's a long time for a five-year old to sit quietly on a hard chair and all it's really doing is preparing him for revisits at about 8 or 9, where it really starts to kick in.

Peevemor
17-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Prepare him for the potential racket/commotion if Hibs happen to score. It can be a bit overwhelming for someone that's not used to it.

sadtom
17-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Loads of sweets and a programme are a good shout. Took my twin boys to their 1st game (last game of season against partick lost 3-2) just before their 3rd b'day, walking to the game they were pretty taken aback by the number of people around them and one of them managed to walk into a concrete lampost and gave himself a keeker/lump of impressive proportions. How popular was i when i got them home. Told the missus we had got into a dash with the partick mob and that she should see what the wee man did to the other guy.:greengrin Lets just say i got THE look.

They had each other for company aswell so if you know anyone else who is taking a kid that might also help, especially if the other kid is a wee bit older who can 'show them the ropes'.
Anyway my two lads are nine and mad for it now. Fitba consumes their every waking (and no doubt some of their sleeping) moments.
I gradually took them to more games season on season, less is more at the begining, treat 'em mean... and all that. Now they have their season tickets and love it.
Getting ready to take my wee girl (just turned 1) in a couple of years time and go through it all again. (Without the bruises, hopefully.)

matty_f
17-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I take my son, he's also 5 and have been taking him since he was 3. He was too young at 3 but is now really into it and loves going to see the Hibees. Some advice though.....

1/ Take ample supplies of sweets
2/ Buy a programme for him
3/ Be prepared for him watching everything else except what's going on on the pitch
4/ Enjoy the experience, it's a great day taking them to their first match

:thumbsup:

Same here, though my son's not long turned 6. He likes going now but still isn't that focussed on what's happening on the pitch. I'll probably take the DS or PSP along with me to keep him occupied!

sleeping giant
17-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Same here, though my son's not long turned 6. He likes going now but still isn't that focussed on what's happening on the pitch. I'll probably take the DS or PSP along with me to keep him occupied!

Get in early and get down to wall to watch the Goalies warm ups.
The boy likes that ! He likes dodging the balls as they are getting pinged into the FF lower during warm up.
If you look closely , you will see me trying to get the players attention (while still trying to look cool) to sign my boys top.

Its funny as my Son LOVES Hibs and EXPECTS to go to all the games at ER.
I'm loving it:agree:
Just had another boy too so i will have to start all over again in 4 years time:greengrin

7Hero
17-09-2009, 03:29 PM
thanks for all the great replies...

my checklist as follows

1) ample cash for junk
2) stash of sweeties
3) have a seat on the end of a row (winner:wink:)
4) trying to get grandad to go (if all else fails grandad can think of something to humour him)
5) Nintendo Ds packed
6) decked out in hibs gear (natch :cool2:)

to be honest im not expecting much, one of my best mates takes his kid and he absolutely loves it. luke has never shown any interest in football and has only recently asked me toplay football with him in the garden.

If we last till half time ill be delighted, as many have stated its just about getting him into the stadium and making sure he doesn't hate it...

Andy74
17-09-2009, 03:44 PM
thanks for all the great replies...

my checklist as follows

1) ample cash for junk
2) stash of sweeties
3) have a seat on the end of a row (winner:wink:)
4) trying to get grandad to go (if all else fails grandad can think of something to humour him)
5) Nintendo Ds packed
6) decked out in hibs gear (natch :cool2:)

to be honest im not expecting much, one of my best mates takes his kid and he absolutely loves it. luke has never shown any interest in football and has only recently asked me toplay football with him in the garden.

If we last till half time ill be delighted, as many have stated its just about getting him into the stadium and making sure he doesn't hate it...

Well done.

My two and a half year old shouts 'Hibees' any time she sees football on the TV and asks to get her Hibees top on any time she hears mention of the park. My wife was off to the gym last night and she asked if she could go with her and wear her Hibees top.

She also insists on Glory to the Hibees to be sung to her before she goes to sleep, so I think I'm getting her well on the road to actually knowing why she is going to a game when she does get taken!

I know its early days but its progress. Living just now in Livingston I need to get her ingrained in it before the OF come calling.