PDA

View Full Version : Should Burley have been sacked?

Mikeystewart
15-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Simple yes or no will do unless you would like to elaborate.

Jonnyboy
15-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I've said no but will still elaborate :greengrin

SFA should give full support to him on the understanding that he ejects all the dead wood (Weir, Teale, Alexander etc) and uses promising up and coming youngsters. Euro Championships next so I think he should concentrate on ensuring the new squad get as much playing time as possible.

Youth - it's the future :wink:

Hibercelona
15-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't like Burley. But have to agree with JB.

He needs the full backing of the SFA and the Scotland support.

And he seriously needs to drop off the old men and get the new, fresh, promising youngsters through.

It will take time, something that other Scotland managers never got.

stubru59
15-09-2009, 01:40 PM
No, cos a man can only work with the tools he got.

We can't argue that Burley left out world-class players and replaced them with donkey's.

True he might have done better with what he had, but better managers and better players have done less.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-09-2009, 01:56 PM
No. I respect him for standing up against phannies like Boyd, McGregor and Fud-geson. If you don't believe that anyone else could have done any better that what we have got, then it is the people who are responsible for what we have got that have to change. He has to empty some of the people who have too good an opinion of themselves from his backroom staff.

MacBean
15-09-2009, 02:00 PM
No, cos a man can only work with the tools he got.

We can't argue that Burley left out world-class players and replaced them with donkey's.

True he might have done better with what he had, but better managers and better players have done less.

I agree with no, but world class??

Jonnyboy
15-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree with no, but world class??

I think the point was that he didn't have world class players to leave out :wink:

MacBean
15-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I think the point was that he didn't have world class players to leave out :wink:

oops!! :doh:

crewetollhibee
15-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Glad he has been given another chance for the following reasons : 1. A new manager would need time to bed in and get to know the players. 2. No way back for Boyd, Ferguson etc unless on Burley's terms. 3. The Weegie press have had the finger put up to them by the SFA. 4. If it doesn't work out then the spotlight will fall on Smith, Peat et al . 5. Most importantly a significant improvement over last two games may be lost if Burley was replaced. It genuinely looked like the players were doing what they had been saying i.e. backing the Boss. ( One proviso though George - give Riordan a chance !! )

Hibercelona
15-09-2009, 02:07 PM

I wondered what he meant as well...

Scotland? World class players?

Nah. :greengrin

BigKev
15-09-2009, 02:32 PM
He should have went after the debacle in Oslo.

Leithenhibby
15-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I've said no but will still elaborate :greengrin

SFA should give full support to him on the understanding that he ejects all the dead wood (Weir, Teale, Alexander etc) and uses promising up and coming youngsters. Euro Championships next so I think he should concentrate on ensuring the new squad get as much playing time as possible.

Youth - it's the future :wink:

It certainly is :wink: there is no substitute for youth...We have got to back him and let him make his own team, as I feel we have a load of youngsters just bursting to get the chance..

Phil MaGlass
15-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes he should have been sacked, his choices have been bewildering to say the least, OF players who huvnae touched a f,n baw fir months and who are plainly no fit waltz straight into the team,going with one striker up front is astonishing when we have to win a game,as for the substitutions you really only have to pick any game to see how bad they have been, Im a wee bit pi55ed at the moment due to drinking Belgian strong beer so forgive me(please)

I dont blame Miller for missing a sitter or whats his name for missing an open goal, I blame Burley for being a complete idiot.

Although
it was not his fault we had numpties in the SFA who decided we could play in temeratures of 100 f,n degrees, and haveing games when our season had not even started,thats just down right stupidity,the SFA couldnt have sacked him since they were partly responsible for our downfall.
We should all be doing what we can to bring the SFA down

Oh aye cannae believe he is still pickin 90 year old players to combat a young energetic Dutch team,f,n what

Why the heck do our managers go for OF players when they could have played half the bloody Hibs team 4 years ago,instead of waiting until now, they were already good enough for the Scotland side 3-4 years ago.Until we get rid of managers who are blinkered to the OF or managers who think the english lower divisions have a better quality than our lads in the SPL we will never achieve anything and another WC or EC qualification will be a long time in coming.
THE SFA ARE COMPLETE AR5EHOLIOS

stubru59
15-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Indented commas above world-class players would have made the point.

Like Burley, I'm doing the best I can with the little I've got.

That, however, is no excuse for playing a word out of place.

lEXO
15-09-2009, 02:59 PM
No. We need a long term manager that not only wants the job, but gets time to do it.Unlike the previous 2 managers who walked away for club jobs, he has stated all along how proud he is to do this job.Given time i,m sure he will take us forward.
Sure he,s made mistakes, but also been let down by some players and people within the SFA. Hope he manages to turn it round because i went to every home qualifier,and the atmosphere at the Macedonia and Holland games were amazing.

Phil MaGlass
15-09-2009, 03:02 PM
If you went to every home game and loved it, just wait till yi go tae an away game.
5hit the beers hittin me noo

Mag7
15-09-2009, 03:06 PM
He should have went after the debacle in Oslo.

:agree: Of course he should have. Gutted that we're still lumbered with Burley.

lEXO
15-09-2009, 03:07 PM
If you went to every home game and loved it, just wait till yi go tae an away game.
5hit the beers hittin me noo
Didnae say i loved every home game did i?Been to an away game as well.Wisnae that bad really.What,s your point by the way?

Phil MaGlass
15-09-2009, 03:09 PM
What I meant was the atmosphere is always great, the build up the travelling. But if youre feeling a bit defensive because ah didnae add a smiley then :wink:

Billychaotic182
15-09-2009, 03:10 PM
NO!!!

lEXO
15-09-2009, 03:15 PM
What I meant was the atmosphere is always great, the build up the travelling. But if youre feeling a bit defensive because ah didnae add a smiley then :wink:
No feeling defensive,your pished post didnae make sense.If you feel the need to post a smiley dont do it for my benefit dude, it,s not needed.

Jim44
15-09-2009, 03:18 PM
This will come as a shock to Walter Smith. He probably thought his gravy train was only a few months from the station. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
15-09-2009, 03:32 PM
nivver called a dude before,first for everything I suppose.

Tha Cabbage Kid
15-09-2009, 04:05 PM
let face it there is no one better for the job!
i want a Scotsman in charge and neither Strachan or Souness would I have been happy with!

burley has made some mistakes and no manager goes through a job without making them. he deserves another chance, people might say get him out now and get a new manager in ie. craig Leven, but who is to say he wouldnt have made the same mistakes?

burley now has more experience at international level than any of these guys lie leven, mcGee, strachan, (ok maybe not smith but he wouldnt take it)

FitbaFolkKen
16-09-2009, 12:34 AM
He should have gone, i'm genuinely quite surprised by the number of people who are happy for him to stay in charge.

My thinking behind his original appointment was that the SFA will have thought let's get a guy in long term. After seeing the previous 2 managers poached effectively and going on to "bigger" jobs I can't blame them for wanting a bit of stability.

I was at a couple of the home games and they were terrible, but at the end of the day he set out a target of 17 points at the start of the campaign. Regardless of what issues he had with the side, who was left out, who decided they weren't playing for the team again etc... we were still nowhere near. Other teams will have had problems as well.

A couple of folk listed a lack of candidates with experience as a reason not to change, without a competitive game for 12 months now would be the perfect time to change.

We don't have great players but 3 wins in 12 is pathetic when you compare it to the standard that was on show not so long ago. I'm convinced with either of the two previous managers at the helm we would have qualified.

But now we are stuck with him, best of luck to him and hopefully I'm wrong and he'll do a great job....:grr:

Hibs90
16-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Yes.

J-C
16-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I said no as I'd like to see some stability for a change in the Scotland job.
Hopefully now we have gone out of the world cup, Burley will start looking to the future and that means bringing through more youngsters, he's started with Whittaker etc but I'd like to see him looking outside the OF for a change and give players like Arfield, Barr, Riordan etc a go.

Ritchie
16-09-2009, 08:08 AM
:agree:

skipster7
16-09-2009, 08:19 AM
no for me , although him playing callum davidson and alexander were huge mistakes when even the gun totin lee wallace was a better bet at LB , as was benching mcfadden.
i feel the weedgie press had it in for him from the start because he didn't play for or manage one of the ugly sisters, so i hope he does well and sticks it right up these tubes.:wink:

sesoim
16-09-2009, 07:04 PM
YES - he should have went. Folk say he's learned from his mistakes - but that 4-0 thumping was only a month ago. And what age is he, 50-odd? Surely he shouldn't be so naive with tactics and selections and how he deals with players at his age.

Also, folk say we don't have enough decent players - well, they said the same thing when Vogts was in charge and yet, miraculously, when Smith took over we started winning on a regular basis. Funny how we've started to lose on a regular basis again.

A good manager would have gotten us about 16 or 17 points from that group and got us comfortabaly into the play-offs. Burley got us 10 points and 3rd place, and I doubt he'll improve us much in the next campaign.

sesoim
16-09-2009, 07:06 PM
He should have gone, i'm genuinely quite surprised by the number of people who are happy for him to stay in charge.

My thinking behind his original appointment was that the SFA will have thought let's get a guy in long term. After seeing the previous 2 managers poached effectively and going on to "bigger" jobs I can't blame them for wanting a bit of stability.

I was at a couple of the home games and they were terrible, but at the end of the day he set out a target of 17 points at the start of the campaign. Regardless of what issues he had with the side, who was left out, who decided they weren't playing for the team again etc... we were still nowhere near. Other teams will have had problems as well.

A couple of folk listed a lack of candidates with experience as a reason not to change, without a competitive game for 12 months now would be the perfect time to change.

We don't have great players but 3 wins in 12 is pathetic when you compare it to the standard that was on show not so long ago. I'm convinced with either of the two previous managers at the helm we would have qualified.

But now we are stuck with him, best of luck to him and hopefully I'm wrong and he'll do a great job....:grr:

:agree: Smith would have done much better. The manager is much more important than any individual players. Smith would have played Boyd and he would have scored regularly for us. We wouldn't have lost in Macedonia or been thumped in Norway with him in charge. I don't even think Smith is that great a manager, but that shows how bad Vogts and Burley have been.

Franck is God
16-09-2009, 08:24 PM
he should definitely have been sacked, he had the modest task set to get us into the play offs and be competetive in probably the easiest of all the qualifying groups.

I thought one of our best players in the last two games was Steven Whittaker and he only got on the pitch because Davidson had to come off injured otherwise he would have continued to ignore probably the best full back in Scotland for the last 4 years...

All managers will occasionally stumble upon a balanced side by mistake, that is all Burley did, doesn't make him a good manager.

lEXO
16-09-2009, 08:33 PM
:agree: Smith would have done much better. The manager is much more important than any individual players. Smith would have played Boyd and he would have scored regularly for us. We wouldn't have lost in Macedonia or been thumped in Norway with him in charge. I don't even think Smith is that great a manager, but that shows how bad Vogts and Burley have been.
Hypothetical that Smith or Judas would have qualified.They both jumped ship to go manage at club level,so we will never know.As for Boyd scoring a rake of goals for us,at the time he walked away from playing for scotland he was,nt getting a game for Rangers either.Smith was quoted at the time that he was a bit of an enigma.I would call him an arse along with his hun mates, who showed themselves up for the idiots they are.Time will tell if he is the right man, but 20 months as manager of a national team is nowhere near enough time i think.